Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are you playing, Nintendo edition.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,095 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I got to the end of the first level and kept dying at the last drop. I assume there are more levels

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Playing some of my old Gamecube games again after finally getting a controller adapter for the Wii U...

Timesplitter 2 and Super Monkey Ball are definitely games I'd love to see new versions of.

Have also been on a bit of SNES (via Virtual Console) buzz with starting Super Mario World & A Link to the Past again. Still amazing games over 20 years on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I got to the end of the first level and kept dying at the last drop. I assume there are more levels

The last drop you have to drop off the ledge at a decent speed (not too fast or you'll be carried off the next ledge) and immediately tilt the Gamepad in the opposite direction so as not to tip over.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭abbir

CastorTroy wrote: »

Instead of going left in the direction following the bananas, go right off the edge, not too fast and you should end up fine on the bottom ledge.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Just spent an hour playing Waverace 64 on my N64, via RGB on my 29" Sony CRT and it was fantastic.
    And it was the Japanese edition with rumble pak support, it makes all the difference, taking an excellent game and making it even better.
    The fact it's Japanese and running on an NTSC console means it's at the proper speed as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Played an hour or so of Shantae earlier on the Wii U.

It has a nice old school vibe to it. Can see myself playing it through.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,516 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Shantae is great. I must go back and get the full ending (I keep putting it off).

• Registered Users Posts: 18,142 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Deleted my files on Fire Emblem Awakening again last night and stayed up tlll 6;30 this morning playing it, fifth time this month I have restarted to tweak the characters kids for the hell of it at this stage now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

I started playing FE:A again at the weekend. Was so busy rushing through it I think I forgot to speak to the "invisible" knight on the 4th or 5th mission so I may have to start all over again.... Fantastic game though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭marko93

I'm on the verge of trading my whole system in, but god I'm so tempted not too. AND FINALLY FINISH THAT BLOODY FIRE EMBLEM.

• Advertisement

Christ, just read a FAQ on planning the kids. My only gripe before was that I hadn't S-Ranked many relationships and that I'd stuck poor little Donnie with that evil bloodsucking hottie. But now... jesus... It looks a whole lot less complicated to just have your own kids in real life and let them figure it out for you in 6-8 years time.

By the way, I've bashed Hyrule Warriors a fair amount over the last year or so, especially in so far as it being ****e next to Bayonetta. While that's true, it's got its dirty pokemon-esque grindy hooks in me now and I'm starting to love it. But by god there's a lot to do...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

Playing links awakening dx at the moment, was it always this hard?, or am i just rubbish at it.

So at about 1:30 this morning I started playing the cube version of Twilight Princess, just to see what it's like, having played the Wii version many years ago. So an hour later decided to go to bed. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Lost Levels in preparation for Mario Maker. I'm now crap at 2D Mario games or maybe I was always useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Lost Levels in preparation for Mario Maker. I'm now crap at 2D Mario games or maybe I was always useless.

I think it's that we got used to our platformers being a little more forgiving, and the controls 'feeling' a bit looser.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Star Lord wrote: »
    I think it's that we got used to our platformers being a little more forgiving, and the controls 'feeling' a bit looser.

Your very kind but no, I seem to recall be being useless at Mario Bros. 3 when I was younger.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I find a lot of platformers , in particular games from the 3rd person featuring platforming, expect the player to merely press the jump button in the vague area of the edge of the precipice they happen to be teetering over.
    God of War, Gears of War, any 3D Sonic game you care to mention and even the mighty Legend of Zelda 3D titles, they all take the sensation of making a jump and deliver it to the player but subtract the skill needed to make the jump, so there is a certain threat removed, though it is disguised in gameplay.
    But you have only to see a modern games player tackle the likes of Shovel Knight, Super Meat Boy or N++ to see how atrophied those elementary platforming skills have become.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭smokingman

Still playing Devils Third and been at the single player mode the last few nights.
    Seems they're a big fan of Resident Evil as there's a level just like the first Resi mansion and some corridors are almost a direct rip from it. There's also a Ninja Gaiden level lookalike but this is no bad thing in my opinion.

I have it on normal difficulty but there's some genuinely hard parts (boss fights mostly) and while the AI is staggeringly stupid at times, it does hit you with brute force that you need to dodge and find weak areas to hit or else you're dead in ten seconds of an enemy onslaught.

...more strategic than I thought it would be and I've only just noticed a few branching paths in the last two levels I've played as well.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    But you have only to see a modern games player tackle the likes of Shovel Knight, Super Meat Boy or N++ to see how atrophied those elementary platforming skills have become.

There's a moment in Shovel Knight in the Spectre Knight's castle where, if you're going after the collectible music sheet you have to make 3 jumps in the dark with a ghost harrying your every step. I mean, you could wait for the occasional lightning flashes to illuminate your position momentarily but who has time for that ****? But you make the jumps, you get the music, and you feel your old school powers flooding back into your old man's hands. Because you haven't noticed it yet. Picking up the music wasn't the challenge. Getting back up those platforms without getting ghost-murdered or falling to your death is the real challenge. The only thing that matches the awesome punch-the-air euphoria you feel when the "collected" chime plays is the when the lightning flashes again and you feel the gnaw-your-own-hand-off frustration of seeing all the gold scattered from your last failed attempt, floating just out of reach where you can't recover it unless you fall again. And you do.

Old school games are the preserve of the young.

I'm not young, 43, but I love old school games.
    I would also stress that I was awful at them when I was young, and they were new!
    But challenges definitely are gone from a lot of games, replaced with a game being an experience.
    Uncharted and even Last of Us was never challenging, it was a narrative to move through, soaking up sights and sounds as the developer intended them to be seen.
    There was never a sense of threat based on skill, but rather a sense of threat that was written into the scene, a dangling train, a lab filled with convenient chest high walls.
    Play Super Mario World and you are offered opportunities to demonstrate your skill before having a new piece of screen furniture or a new enemy forcing you from your comfort zone, right up to the end.
    Modern games instead seem to have you develop a certain security with the controls and capabilities of your character, and later levels just reinforce this feeling rather than challenge it, any Ubisoft game of note recently fall into this category.
    The Souls games run contrary to this opinion but Bloodborne falls more into the Ubi model, with the player not really challenged once you are half way through, becoming comfortable with negotiating environment and enemies alike.
    Don't get me wrong, it's still a great game, but it's not really asking much of the player except to be in awe of what the designer has dress the environment and enemies as rather than asking the player to learn something new.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    The Souls games run contrary to this opinion but Bloodborne falls more into the Ubi model, with the player not really challenged once you are half way through, becoming comfortable with negotiating environment and enemies alike.
    Don't get me wrong, it's still a great game, but it's not really asking much of the player except to be in awe of what the designer has dress the environment and enemies as rather than asking the player to learn something new.

I dunno, I still couldn't beat Ebrietas or Logarius without summoning help!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

Finished A Link to the Past. Amazing that a 24 year old game has aged so well. Years ahead of it's time.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Finished A Link to the Past. Amazing that a 24 year old game has aged so well. Years ahead of it's time.

That wasn't your first time, was it? It couldn't have been. And yes it's a fantastic game. Some timeless, GOAT on the SNES. Secret Of Mana and Super Metroid(only the greatest game ever made). Mario Kart, Street Fighter II.

Only talking about Super Metroid the other evening, it's little more than one of the best games I've ever played, in there with Ico and SotC.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Playing Super Metroid myself too, not speedrunning, but wanna try the sequence breaking just for the fun of it.

Wall jumping breaks the fun, but I'll get there...

I started Super Metroid again ages ago when got it for 30c and was playing off and on. must get back to it. Then replay Metroid Prime trilogy. And then at that point they may have announced another one

I started replaying it last week too. There's a weird bit of intergamerial alignment...

I'm still **** at it, after all these years. It still takes me hours to do that thing where you drop 2 mines, let the first one bump you into the air so you can drop a 3rd and then the 2nd one exploding relaunches you into the blast of the 3rd for a morph ball double jump. And god help me when I get to that bit where you fall down a pit and have to wall jump out of it. Literally days were lost on that, once upon a Banjo.

Banjo wrote: »
    Literally days were lost on that, once upon a Banjo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭smokingman

I've restarted up a game of mass effect 3 except I'm playing as my wife as a bit of a thought experiment....this should be fun ;)

• Advertisement

I had a good session of Kirby's Superstar Stacker, for the Gameboy, via my Retron 5.
    Also played some of the GBA version of Bubble Bobble through the same console, the Snes pad is ideally suited to Nintendo classic gaming goodness!

Advertisement