Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are you playing, Nintendo edition.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I had a good session of Kirby's Superstar Stacker, for the Gameboy, via my Retron 5.
    Also played some of the GBA version of Bubble Bobble through the same console, the Snes pad is ideally suited to Nintendo classic gaming goodness!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,629 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

I'm playing the Katamari game on the ol' 360.

Why was the never a Wii/WiiU version of these? Seems like such a good fit. Love these games.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,142 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

A 3DS version would have been kewl. The vita version was.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Honestly, the series has been overstretched since it left the PS2.
    There has been no real new innovations, just adapting the game to the new available controls the various platforms offer.
    If you can pick up either the NTSC original or the PAL released sequel for the PS2.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭thehappyworm

Picked out a game from my DS backlog yesterday: Ivy The Kiwi? (The question mark is part of the title — spoiler alert!) It's a stylus-only game that plays a bit like Kirby's Magic Paintbrush.

Kinda disappointed at first. It's a very "game-y" game — the focus is on mastering the control scheme, going for high scores, and speed-running, which isn't my favourite aspect of video games. The game lacks the constant stream of invention of a Nintendo title. Its origins in mobile gaming are apparent — the story mode consists of lots of bite-sized levels that are mostly very easy to quickly complete, with the challenging elements being optional. I'm by no means a skillful gamer, but I saw the game over screen for the first time on level 50 (of 50 levels). It's the kind of game that would be fun to play on your phone on the bus to work, trying to beat your friends' high scores and times. Less fun when you're the only person on the leaderboard.

I gave it a chance, though, and ended up enjoying it for what it was. I zipped through the story mode in a couple of hours, which gets you a charming little story-book cut-scene, Super Mario Galaxy-style, and unlocks more difficult "remixed" versions of the levels. Even playing without any online leaderboards, there's a familiar pleasure in returning to each level and attempting to do better. Music is nice, as are the coloured-pencil-style graphics. The game also features a couple of multiplayer modes, but I've yet to try them.

Anyone else here played it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

Finished shovel knight plague of shadows last night, enjoyed it very much. Stuck for games to play at the moment, so very much looking forward to triforce heros in a couple of weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

I finished A Link Between Worlds yesterday. Absolutely brilliant game. So smartly designed all the way through and it has my favourite dungeons so far.

I started Skyward Sword this morning. I really like the kind of watercolour painting art style.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Myself and kids are playing Go Vacation on the Wii. Great fun, real hidden gem and some decent controls.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Started Sonic Adventure DX today on the GameCube, good, but the camera, ugh.

Trying to play Super Mario Bros U again. I can't help it, I just find it really boring. Shame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

I started playing Super Mario 3D World last night.

sligeach wrote: »

It is a fantastic game, only slight pubic hair in the ointment is that it isn't Super Mario Galaxy 3, or Super Mario Sunshine 2

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Trying to play Super Mario Bros U again. I can't help it, I just find it really boring. Shame.

I like the New Mario series, they're colourful, polished, tight packages with lots of good platforming - but they are painfully safe. Give Super Luigi U a go - it's harder and more creative than New Mario U.
    sligeach wrote: »

My favourite Mario game ever. Oozing creativity in every single level, the cat suit is both adorable and brilliant, it looks great and there's LOADS of content. Plus it introduces Captain Toad as a playable character and it will forever be amazing for that.

I like the New Mario series, they're colourful, polished, tight packages with lots of good platforming - but they are painfully safe. Give Super Luigi U a go - it's harder and more creative than New Mario U.
    My favourite Mario game ever. Oozing creativity in every single level, the cat suit is both adorable and brilliant, it looks great and there's LOADS of content. Plus it introduces Captain Toad as a playable character and it will forever be amazing for that.
    As much as I've enjoyed the NSMB series, I found the WiiU and 3DS editions to be way to similar to the Wii and DS games, to the point of feeling more like mission packs, or glorified DLC.
    At the very least Super Luigi U has been set out to be a ball breaker of a game, and a celebration of Mario's taller and better looking brother!

But, if you are looking for 2D platforming perfection, you really can't go too far wrong with either Super Mario Bros 3 or Super Mario World, better still, just save some time and buy the Super Mario Allstars pack with them all on it, pure bliss.
    I own SMB3 on both Famicom and NES, as well as the aforementioned Snes compilation, it is an incredibly good game, all the more amazing at this distant remove.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Returned to Tropical Freeze this evening, was going to play Mario 3D but this called out to me. Jesus, I forgot how much of an evil git it can be.

Sticking with Resi 4 here.

If you read people's opinions of it now, you could easily forget how atmospheric it actually is. Best thing ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Sticking with Resi 4 here.

If you read people's opinions of it now, you could easily forget how atmospheric it actually is. Best thing ever.

Oh yes. Wii edition? The Wii controls suit that game very well. I remember starting RE5 on the PS3 soon after finishing RE4 and turned it off after 30mins. Felt so clunky and out of control trying to use the analogue to aim.

Yep. Started it a week before it came out on the eshop, by coincidence. Best thing ever.

Started Pikmin 3 (my Wii U backlog is still stupidly long) and those poor dead Pikmin souls will haunt my dreams.

Pikmin 3? Best thing ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭thehappyworm

Another one from my DS backlog stack: Dragon Quest VI. Will this be the first time I finish an RPG?? :pac:

The backwards-compatibility of the 3DS makes me very happy. What a lovely little console the 3DS is! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Returned to Batman Arkham Origins during the week. Still feels souless, but it'll fill the gap till Disney Infinity arrives (the first one with Monsters Uni and Cap'n Jack, €22-ish on italian amazon, statue fans!) and then I'll know what soulless truly is :D

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Playing Triforce Heroes, and enjoying it more than expected!
    Online multiplayer can be a bit haphazard, been with some good people sometimes, assholes (that I've blacklisted) other times, and sometimes with those that are utterly inept.
    Guiding the inept ones through can be a challenge, but it's harder dealing with the assholes that will pick you up and throw you out of the way if you're going for something they want (even down to them wanting to be the top triangle on the triforce... petty!)

The single player is pretty well constructed, but can make some of the boss fights tricky!

Any of you guys playing it?

[edit]
    Playing some Binding of Isaac: Rebirth too, plays great on the 3DS!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Banjo wrote: »
    till Disney Infinity arrives (the first one with Monsters Uni and Cap'n Jack, €22-ish on italian amazon,

It's €19.99 in Argos.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

ThisRegard wrote: »
    It's €19.99 in Argos.

True, but the petrol to get to the one store in Cork where it's in stock would cost as much as the game. Not to mention the time. But I'd be lying if I said I knew all that before I ordered, I was seduced by the €16.99 price on amazon.it and didn't notice the not-super-saver-delivery cost until after :D Thanks for the heads up all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭maddymcmaddser

Star Lord wrote: »
    Playing Triforce Heroes, and enjoying it more than expected!
    Online multiplayer can be a bit haphazard, been with some good people sometimes, assholes (that I've blacklisted) other times, and sometimes with those that are utterly inept.
    Guiding the inept ones through can be a challenge, but it's harder dealing with the assholes that will pick you up and throw you out of the way if you're going for something they want (even down to them wanting to be the top triangle on the triforce... petty!)

The single player is pretty well constructed, but can make some of the boss fights tricky!

Any of you guys playing it?

[edit]
    Playing some Binding of Isaac: Rebirth too, plays great on the 3DS!

Would it be worth playing in single player only? Most of my 3DS gaming is done on the dart in and out of work so no real chance for multiplayer there!

I'm currently playing Xenoblade on the 3DS, I'm enjoying it a lot but I feel like I'm losing something by not playing this on my 50 inch tv!

The soundtrack is excellent and I'm getting the hang of the fighting now, I think the voice acting is pretty good and the dialogue can be quite amusing at times.

I tried 3DS gaming on the commute to work, but I nearly crashed the car!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

16253263244_d98f16c2c9_m.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Would it be worth playing in single player only?

It's more like 4 Swords than a typical Zelda game. When you get decent players in the multi-player, it feels great. When you don't, it's difficult carrying the dead weight. (Sometimes literally, I've had people just stop moving for 5 minutes, so we had to carry them...)

Is recommend giving it a try if you know anyone that has it, or watch some videos of the single player to see how it is handled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭maddymcmaddser

Cool, I think I'll download the demo! 4 swords was great fun on the GameCube!
    Star Lord wrote: »
    It's more like 4
    Swords than a typical Zelda game. When you get decent players in the multi-player, it feels great. When you don't, it's difficult carrying the dead weight. (Sometimes literally, I've had people just stop moving for 5 minutes, so we had to carry them...)

Is recommend giving it a try if you know anyone that has it, or watch some videos of the single player to see how it is handled.

Advertisement