Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are you playing, Nintendo edition.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

Star Lord wrote: »
    Playing Triforce Heroes, and enjoying it more than expected!
    Online multiplayer can be a bit haphazard, been with some good people sometimes, assholes (that I've blacklisted) other times, and sometimes with those that are utterly inept.
    Guiding the inept ones through can be a challenge, but it's harder dealing with the assholes that will pick you up and throw you out of the way if you're going for something they want (even down to them wanting to be the top triangle on the triforce... petty!)

The single player is pretty well constructed, but can make some of the boss fights tricky!

Any of you guys playing it?

Yeah im playing it too, i think i got matched with you one night too, my ign was attorney and yours was the same as here, only we got separated because the dude playing with us decided to leave when he didnt get his level picked.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Yeah im playing it too, i think i got matched with you one night too, my ign was attorney and yours was the same as here, only we got separated because the dude playing with us decided to leave when he didnt get his level picked.

YES!!! Couldn't believe that! What an ass!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Anyone playing that new Guitar Hero Live game? What's it like on the Wii U?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

ionapaul wrote: »
    Anyone playing that new Guitar Hero Live game? What's it like on the Wii U?

It's great. Higher difficulty than previous games, plenty of online buzz. Graphics are identical to PS4 etc, mostly because the videos are... videos, and not rendered. Only the fretboard is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Sweet, will pick this up at some stage so - think Argos might be the cheapest at present?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭thehappyworm

23 hours or so into Dragon Quest VI, I needed a break with something a bit more...arcade-y. Plumped for Super Little Acorns Turbo 3D.

I think the character design had been putting me off playing this one. Seemed a bit lazy or something? But I'm glad I got around to it in the end. It's an addictive wee game!

I suppose I should have put it in a corner of my 3DS and used it as an occasional palate cleanser, but once it got its hooks into me I ended up binging on the thing, and played through cramps and eye-strain until I'd completed it 100%. (Completed the main mode, that is. There's also a "turbo" mode which just seems to be the exact same levels, but speeded up a bit.)

Only criticism I have is that when you muck up it takes just a little too long to get you back in the game, which can be frustrating for me, as I muck up a lot. Otherwise, I strongly recommend Super Little Acorns Turbo 3D — and I can't remember how much exactly, but I'm pretty sure it's one of the cheaper titles on the e-shop.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Is that the original Dragon Quest VI on the SNES or is it the DS remake?
    I have them somewhere, my son finished DQIX and loved it.
    I have DQ VIII on the PS2 and its amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Only criticism I have is that when you muck up it takes just a little too long to get you back in the game, which can be frustrating for me, as I muck up a lot. Otherwise, I strongly recommend Super Little Acorns Turbo 3D — and I can't remember how much exactly, but I'm pretty sure it's one of the cheaper titles on the e-shop.

it's frequently on sale, and it's only a couple of quid.

Started playing Disney Infinity (the first one) last night. Playing is probably the best word for it. I never got around to getting stuck into the bundled worlds, I was just arsing around the initial toybox for a couple of hours, running over Agrabah guards in a beach buggy and looking for collectables. If the introduction level they bring you through - which has scripted cameos from all the major properties that made it into Infinity 1.0 - doesn't contain too many tricks you can't pull off in your own toyboxes, this could be a blast. Pricewise it's terrifying though. I want Wreckit Ralph! I want Baymax! I want Venom! (and my 2.0 pack is arriving on Friday, before you warn me about compatibility). Oh look, a bunch of princesses and a frozen pack that the girls would just adore! Oh look! A mortgage I can't pay and food I can't afford to eat!

But, if you're thinking of taking the plunge, a couple of things :

1. With patience you can have the Wii U Toybox 2.0 pack (with 2 game discs, WiiU software, Merida and Stitch) + the PS3 Marvel pack (with a game world, 2 game discs, 3 Avengers) for the same as the Wii U marvel pack. That's 2 extra statues you don't want! Bargain!
    2. You can't play Off TV without initially setting it up on a TV - on first boot there's a prompt to sign in to their website that you can only see on the telly. Oh, and maybe there were instructions that explained why, after I did get the Off TV button on the gamepad, there was just a golden spark in the middle of the screen and it didn't recognise anything I put on the portal. Took a lot of switching USB ports and figures around before I copped on that you are supposed to move the gold spark around to collect the blue sparks, it's part of the intro to the game. Drove me mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Gone back to playing Lego City Undercover on Wii U after leaving it for more than a year. Liking it way more this time around for some reason. The loading times still wreck the head though!

• Registered Users Posts: 55,516 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I treated myself to The Binding of Isaac and 1001 Spikes on the 3DS, both great games (especially Isaac)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Mr E wrote: »
    I treated myself to The Binding of Isaac and 1001 Spikes on the 3DS, both great games (especially Isaac)

Was that before or after that Nicalis developer invited a world of hate with his ludicrous statement that we should "stop lying to yourself, the Wii U is not much more powerful than a PS Vita"?

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2015/11/poor_odds_of_the_binding_of_isaac_afterbirth_coming_to_wii_u_as_nicalis_says_its_not_much_more_powerful_than_a_ps_vita

Saw that. Strange thing to say since Afterbirth is DLC on the same engine.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I've Cave Story, physical release, for the 3DS, a brilliant game, probably the one 3DS game I own that's worth a few bob now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Picked up a copy of Shovel Knight on the Wii U in Argos. Great game.

The text on the spine of the game box uses the same font as Dark Souls. Coincidence? I don't think so!

My 12 year old has it finished on the 3DS but I'm tempted to buy the WiiU physical release, just because, and the Amiibo looks the business.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Got A Link Between Worlds for 3DS over the weekend. Loving it so far!

The €20 price point of the Nintendo Selects games is great. Would buy a hell of a lot more 3DS games at that price.

I'm kind of burning out on some games that I was so enthusiastic about before Christmas.

Steamworld Heist is great, but I feel that you have to grind to level up new characters (especially before you can attempt boss levels). Still haven't beaten
    Chop Sue

I enjoyed Paper Jam Bros for the first half, but now the gloss has gone off it and I'm just pushing through to finish it - I'm at Gloomy Woods (the second time) and I just want to get to the end now. Definitely the weakest of the 5 AlphaDream M&L games.

On the flip side, I'm really enjoying Fast Racing Neo (great sense of speed, even on the normal skill level). I also played an hour of The Amazing Spiderman (grabbed for €12.50 in the eshop sale) and so far so good!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

Mr E wrote: »
    I'm kind of burning out on some games that I was so enthusiastic about before Christmas.

Steamworld Heist is great, but I feel that you have to grind to level up new characters (especially before you can attempt boss levels). Still haven't beaten
    Chop Sue

I enjoyed Paper Jam Bros for the first half, but now the gloss has gone off it and I'm just pushing through to finish it - I'm at Gloomy Woods (the second time) and I just want to get to the end now. Definitely the weakest of the 5 AlphaDream M&L games.

On the flip side, I'm really enjoying Fast Racing Neo (great sense of speed, even on the normal skill level). I also played an hour of The Amazing Spiderman (grabbed for €12.50 in the eshop sale) and so far so good!

How many hours have you put into Paper Jam? I've just beaten
    Wiggler
    and still really enjoying it so far. Not completely sold on the Papercraft battles so far though.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,629 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Still blazing my way through Resi 4. Gonna try finish it after MOTD, hopefully have a blast at the extras. This game has the best I've ever played.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

^^^ "What are you buying stranger?"

I killed that dude by accident once. Had to reload are large section. :(

I'm about 43ish hours into Ghost Recon Shadow Wars on the 3DS, so I'm close to the end. I highly recommend it and it's selling for cheap nowadays.

It's a grid- based, turn-based strategy RPG similar to Fire Emblem but with much simpler mechanics.

Being new to the genre, Fire Emblem was a lot to take in in terms of character relations and development along with having to deal with certain enemies and perma-death. Ghost Recon offers a great introduction to the genre. The gameplay options are straightforward but the strategy elements are still there at the highest difficulty level. It kinda gives me an injection of confidence to try Fire Emblem again.

The storyline predicted the Russian invasion of Ukraine too which is weird.

• Advertisement

Deano7788 wrote: »
    How many hours have you put into Paper Jam? I've just beaten
    Wiggler
    and still really enjoying it so far. Not completely sold on the Papercraft battles so far though.

23 hours, all characters are level 26. The papercraft battles are pretty cool, much better than the giant battles from the last 2 games.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Mario Maker!!!!!!!!!!

Expert mode is so painful.

Some amazing players on twitch though with streaks of 15 completions in a row etc which makes you feel even worse!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭steve_r

Got A Link Between Worlds for 3DS over the weekend. Loving it so far!

The €20 price point of the Nintendo Selects games is great. Would buy a hell of a lot more 3DS games at that price.

Did the exact same. €20 is amazing value for a fantastic game.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Mario maker 59.99 instore or 39.99 on eshop hmm

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Mario maker 59.99 instore or 39.99 on eshop hmm

I think I paid €54 with the amiibo.

It's my only amiibo. It's very very cool i must say. Still it's box too.

For anyone who is still to buy this game seriously go get it.
    So much fun and frustration awaits you.

I'm about 50 hours into it and I've only made one level. I can't stop playing other people's.

Plus is anyone else addicted to watching others play on twitch?

ptken is fantastic if you want to watch an expert but funny too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭budgemook

I think I paid €54 with the amiibo.

It's my only amiibo. It's very very cool i must say. Still it's box too.

For anyone who is still to buy this game seriously go get it.
    So much fun and frustration awaits you.

I'm about 50 hours into it and I've only made one level. I can't stop playing other people's.

Plus is anyone else addicted to watching others play on twitch?

ptken is fantastic if you want to watch an expert but funny too.
    How does it compare to little big planet do you know? I got lbp and was very impressed however it wasn't for me so I sold it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,402 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

budgemook wrote: »
    How does it compare to little big planet do you know? I got lbp and was very impressed however it wasn't for me so I sold it.

Little Big Planet is a terrible platformer but an awesome physics playground and even a bit of a programming lesson. Mario Maker on the other hand has those perfect mario platforming physics but the level designer is a bit more modular but you can still create some very creative levels and it's a lot more fun and intuitive to use than little big planet.

Both are very different mario maker is more fun as a game and you can build levels a lot faster while little big planet I found a bit of like gary's mod than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭budgemook

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Little Big Planet is a terrible platformer but an awesome physics playground and even a bit of a programming lesson. Mario Maker on the other hand has those perfect mario platforming physics but the level designer is a bit more modular but you can still create some very creative levels and it's a lot more fun and intuitive to use than little big planet.

Both are very different mario maker is more fun as a game and you can build levels a lot faster while little big planet I found a bit of like gary's mod than anything else.

Mario Maker sounds more up my street tbh, I'm quite a casual gamer. Think I'll pull the trigger on Wii U tomorrow. The Mario Kart bundle is gone from Argos (290) but GameStop has the Mario Kart and Splatoon bundle for 350 which seems okay. Not sure I'll be in to Splatoon or not.

Is there a swapping games thread in the Nintendo forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

budgemook wrote:
    Mario Maker sounds more up my street tbh, I'm quite a casual gamer. Think I'll pull the trigger on Wii U tomorrow. The Mario Kart bundle is gone from Argos (290) but GameStop has the Mario Kart and Splatoon bundle for 350 which seems okay. Not sure I'll be in to Splatoon or not.

That bundle is £219 on tesco direct. Post to parcel motel/wizard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Got "The Swindle"!
    Started a new game!
    Figured out the button for "Open Door"
    Did not correctly figure out the button for "hit Guard on head" or "push guard off ledge"
    Died
    Regretted not reading manual and went to bed.

Advertisement