Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are you playing, Nintendo edition.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭steve_r

Banjo wrote: »
    Started playing Animal Crossing again, only to find my daughters have cut down most of the trees in town.
    Mother pus bucket!

So I started rebuilding my town using a secret stash of fruit they clearly didn't know I had... then the last firmware update before yesterdays one bricked my 3DS (boots to black screen, can pull up the Power Off screen if forced, pressing home brings up the Home loading banner and sticks there - it's documented and there's no fix). And force-flashing with yesterdays update didn't fix it. Very despondent. So I'm not playing anything. Oh woe is me, fellow Nintendites

Gah that sounds horrific! Didn't even know about the potential firmware issues!

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭maddymcmaddser

Started playing Animal Crossing again, only to find my daughters have cut down most of the trees in town.
    Mother pus bucket!

So I started rebuilding my town using a secret stash of fruit they clearly didn't know I had... then the last firmware update before yesterdays one bricked my 3DS (boots to black screen, can pull up the Power Off screen if forced, pressing home brings up the Home loading banner and sticks there - it's documented and there's no fix). And force-flashing with yesterdays update didn't fix it. Very despondent. So I'm not playing anything. Oh woe is me, fellow Nintendites

Oh no, I won't be updating mine so!

I've just started playing through Majora's Mask again. It looks amazing on the 3DS, the tunes are so catchy! The little changes really help how it plays, being able to select the time you go forward to and the save system! I might even complete it 100% this time!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Just to be clear, it was the update 2 updates ago, not the one from Wednesday that seems to have done mine in. And I haven't seen a large amount of traffic saying this issue is widespread, so I don't want to cause a panic.
    But for the record, I had no homebrew nor used any cheat/hack devices.

Just to be clear, it was the update 2 updates ago, not the one from Wednesday that seems to have done mine in. And I haven't seen a large amount of traffic saying this issue is widespread, so I don't want to cause a panic.
    But for the record, I had no homebrew nor used any cheat/hack devices.

Cheers for that, I haven't had any issues with updates so far and I've no homebrew or hacks either!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Mother pus bucket!
    Peter Venkman FTW!

What's this about bricking?
    My N3DS is bugging me to update and I haven't done so yet, what's the risks and what are Nintendo doing about it?

• Advertisement

Again, I'm not seeing anything online to indicate that what happened to me is the norm or even some kind of Shiny aberration. And since I applied it about a week or so ago, it was not the most recent update, which was released tuesday/wednesday. In terms of what they're doing, they had no advice when I called them and they've booked it in for a free assessment. Which probably means they'll try to charge me for the fix. I'll let you know...

Behold! The price of improved stability!
    It occurred to me that the only time I reboot my console is when a firmware update applies, that could mean that I've been sitting on this issue for a month or so without knowing it was there?

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Xofpod

Just started Xenoblade Chronicles X - very good first impression

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

I'm mostly playing PS4 or PC these days but that last Nintendo Direct made me dust off the the 3DS again. Downloaded a demo of that Yo-Kai Watch game - not too bad. Also got the Bravely Second demo so must try that.

It had Fantasy Life in the cart slot so started back playing that a bit - need to level my Paladin up. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭coffee to go

Can I just say that Champion Road in SM3DW has me absolutely depressed - I have just burned through over 150 lives tonight and still not got past the switch blocks.

I'm not usually one for rage quitting but this is pushing my limits!!#$#@$!

Well it took me a solid month but I finally beat the ba5tarding thing. Hooray for me!

Luigi's Purple Coins probably still takes the biscuit for ultimate frustration though. That thing nearly gave me a stroke.

Yeah Champion Road was a pain! When I completed it and then realised I need to do it again with all the other characters I gave up, I've beaten every level in the game at least once with at least one character that's enough for me, I'll never get that fifth star on my save!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,629 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Finally decided to give Mass Effect 3 a go.

Intro comic bit seemed to go on forever. Then I remembered I don't really dig sci fi worlds.

Not sure if i'm gonna last at this.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I ended up enjoying the previous one by playing it as a first person shooter with RPG elements.
    I know you can play it as something more paced ans measured, but don't have the time for that!
    And it was a blast.
    Never got around to the third one though, but it's sitting there winking at me from the shelf....
    Feck off Mass Effect 3!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,629 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Dropped it straight away. Playing Pikmin 2 now. Love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

I picked up Codename Steam a while back for around a tenner and only got around to starting it now. Good first impression. The art style is great, as is the setting. The action/strategy gameplay seems like it could be great fun when it becomes more complicated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Just finished Ace Combat on the 3DS. Really enjoyed it surprisingly.

Nice warm-up for Starfox.

Pac1Man wrote: »
    Just finished Ace Combat on the 3DS. Really enjoyed it surprisingly.

Nice warm-up for Starfox.

Couldn't you have cut out the middle man and just played Starfox 64 on the 3DS, to warm up for Starfox on the WiiU? ;)

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Couldn't you have cut out the middle man and just played Starfox 64 on the 3DS, to warm up for Starfox on the WiiU? ;)

And what a great version it is but Ace Combat has an abundant amount of cheeese that is hard to resist.

When your wingman (who is modeled after Ice-Man in Top Gun) says stuff like:

"Hey, before we do this, I just wanna say flying with you has made me a much better person."

As I said, it's hard to resist. :D

I haven't played an Ace Combat game since a little bit of the third one on the PS, and the only one I played to completion was Air Combat on the PlayStation, way back in 1995, love that game....

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I haven't played an Ace Combat game since a little bit of the third one on the PS, and the only one I played to completion was Air Combat on the PlayStation, way back in 1995, love that game....

I think I payed around €15 from an Amazon sale a while back which is probably what it's worth. That's not a negative though. The story lasts about 6 hours and you have your usual challenge missions after that if you wish.

Ace Combat 7 will be exclusive to the PS4 hopefully this year. 'Twill be something to keep an eye on.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,516 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I'm playing Stardew Valley on the PC at the moment. If the developer (and it's just ONE GUY!) ported this to 3DS, it would actually sell hardware for Nintendo.

I bought it at 11 last night and I've already played 5 hours of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Mr E wrote: »
    I'm playing Stardew Valley on the PC at the moment. If the developer (and it's just ONE GUY!) ported this to 3DS, it would actually sell hardware for Nintendo.

I bought it at 11 last night and I've already played 5 hours of it.

Is it not very similar to Harvest Moon?
    Heard about it but jeez I'm working long enough on a farm as is :pacc:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,605 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Super Mario Maker - Wii U
    Touchmaster - DS

Broke Starfox 3D out last night. Old man hands is a terrible affliction. It's years since Star Wolf won that fight... And where the hell are all the secret mission exits? Where are my pants! Pesky kids with their hippity hoppity...

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭bkrangle

Broke Starfox 3D out last night. Old man hands is a terrible affliction. It's years since Star Wolf won that fight... And where the hell are all the secret mission exits? Where are my pants! Pesky kids with their hippity hoppity...

Haven't played this since I got my "new" 3DS XL.

Will have to give it a shot with the improved 3D tracking

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Played some MK8 with the kids earlier - had good fun doing multi-player Grand Prix but such a shame they haven't implemented proper arenas for the battle mode - it's useless in it's current state. Playing some of the courses got me wishing Nintendo would release new versions of 1080° and F-Zero - that would be superb.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭da gamer

Playing a bit of luigis mansion on the gamecube. Missed it first time around and absolutely loved dark moon on the 3ds.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,516 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I got COD Black Ops 2 a few years ago for €4 in a HMV clearout. Tried it out over the weekend (hadn't touched it up until then!) and it's surprisingly good. The local multiplayer (with one person on TV and one person on gamepad) was a great use for the gamepad. The maps were a bit big for just 2 players, but it was still good fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Well, I finally got proper day off with no one at home. All I am doing is playing my 3ds, drinking coffee, car shows on tv and taking a fag break every now and then. Living the dream. :D

Playing monster hunter 4 all day. Actually the only game I play since I got my 3ds. Love it and it is a lot harder then 3. I am finding hard time building full sets of armour as they mixed up stuff amd you need parts from other monsters. For some weird reason I cam get one or another part from set to appear in build list. For example I got almost full set built, but still can't build helmet.

After spending more time on 3ds new, I got a lot better at holding it amd hands are not as tired anymore. Though from now on I will go only for xl versions. Normal versions great for kids amd their Tiny hands, but not for adults. I wish I could swap and pay difference on my 3ds for xl at argos. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

In MH4U: Check out the expeditions, they'll often have the other monsters that you need the parts from. And you can get some parts from the Wycoon too, who you trade some parts with in exchange for parts from other monsters that aren't in the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Star Lord wrote: »
    In MH4U: Check out the expeditions, they'll often have the other monsters that you need the parts from. And you can get some parts from the Wycoon too, who you trade some parts with in exchange for parts from other monsters that aren't in the game.

Yeah, I noticed that new mechanic. They put I. Parts, but not monsters. So you need to get them from trader. Identify really like it. A lot more put to chance. I guess getting a full set then becomes a lot more satisfying.
    Expeditions are weird. I guess they put very few rare monsters there, making getting parts depending off chance even more.

All in all I love it. I am using the new charge blade. I learned how to use it and it's awesome. I mostly used switch axe in Mh3. Always wanted to learn great swords, but I just suck With them. :(

Advertisement