Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are you playing, Nintendo edition.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    Would recommend picking up Zero Mission and Fusion on the Wii U VC as well. Granted, they're not quite up to Super's level in terms of scope and whatnot, but they're very worthy follow-ups/remakes.

Would they be viewed as the better 2D Metroids? Never played a 2D version myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,382 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Pac1Man wrote: »
    Would they be viewed as the better 2D Metroids? Never played a 2D version myself.

What? WTF? You haven't lived until you played Super Metroid. It's a right of passage of gaming, no, life, and the greatest game of all time. You need this game!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

sligeach wrote: »
    What? WTF? You haven't lived until you played Super Metroid. It's a right of passage of gaming, no, life, and the greatest game of all time. You need this game!

Believe me, that isn't my most embarrassing admission!

Would you recommend Super before the GBA versions?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Whoops, posted in the wrong place there, mean to be here.

I finally bought the full version of Pocket Card Jockey on 3DS. It's very funny and quirky, a girl is bad at horse racing so an angel appears and makes it so instead of seeing a race she's playing solitaire.
    I think the translators just had a laugh with it.
    Thd demo stopped after 1 race but I kept going into it and it kept going so if you're not sure I'd recommend just the demo.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Star Lord wrote: »
    Story-wise, Arkham Origins is pretty decent though.
    Oh, its decent. But Asylum and City were both excellent. Something's missing in origins. Its like nsmb u - all the right ingredients but like a souffl , sometimes no matter how good it should be it all just goes to **** when you take it out of the oven.

Coincidentally tried Fusion on the 3ds for the first time at the weekend after an amiibo unlocked 3 minutes of Super Metroid on the WiiU and hooked me again. Seems good so far but very much following the template of the SNES one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,629 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

I'm in the same boat. Even though i've bought Super Metroid at least twice.

I've nearly collected everything in Pikmim 2. Suppose I should get in on it after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Yes, Super would be at the tippy-top, with Fusion and Zero Mission neck-and-neck depending upon your mood. Fusion is the sequel to Super, but is very linear, which is kinda unMetroid, but it's still pretty great. Zero Mission is the GBA remake of the NES original, with all the non-linear funsies you'd know and love of Metroid, but it's very short. So, yeah, I'd advocate going with Super Metroid first, then hitting the whichever GBA one fits your mood.

Would not recommend getting into the NES original or Metroid II (or, if you do, go with any one of the many of million fan-mods that actually make them enjoyable games) unless you're an absolute completionist that must play everything. Time has done neither one any favours.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Believe me, that isn't my most embarrassing admission!

Would you recommend Super before the GBA versions?

Absolutely, it's the daddy Mother (Brain?) of the other two.
    If you play the others before Super Metroid, you might just find yourself missing some mechanics that the newer games introduced though (Mostly gripping onto ledges)

• Registered Users Posts: 55,516 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

My first thought was "Wow, that was amazing, and must have taken forever!!!"

My second thought was "What size is that person's house!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!"

:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,516 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

If it was a continuous shot it would have been amazing. It was obviously a joined video with lots of segments. :)

Mr E wrote: »
    I saw this lately too, isn't it amazing? It came up as a "you might like" on YouTube. It's so satisfying but I wouldn't want to clean it up

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭marko93

Think I'll be starting a good 'ole Nuzlocke on one of the games. Now which one to pick :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

Mr E wrote: »

Mario Dominos Video

Its such a satisfying sound when the dominos all fall together and reveal the pictures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭pasta-solo

I finished Super Metroid on Sunday! It lived up to expectations and surpassed them in many ways, superb! Definitely makes the all time top ten!

Trying to decide on Prime or Fusion/Zero Mission next... Really interested to see how the series works in 3D!

I also played Year Walk last weekend, and it's fantastic! Dripping in atmosphere, gorgeous artstyle and soundtrack, great puzzles and makes very clever use of the gamepad. Recommended!

I'd recommend Zero Mission (Which is a remake of the original) and then Fusion.
    The art style in Zero Mission isn't as good as in Fusion, but it's still a decent game. Fusion is a great game, just a bit odd in that it's the black sheep of the family with its linearity.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Xofpod

Just started Metroid - Other M. I know it's a different style, but it's rekindled my interest in the Metroid series which I haven't looked at since the GameCube. Must try to pick up the Prime stuff cheaply.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,629 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Xofpod wrote: »
    Just started Metroid - Other M. I know it's a different style, but it's rekindled my interest in the Metroid series which I haven't looked at since the GameCube. Must try to pick up the Prime stuff cheaply.

Did we not get all the Prime ones off the eshop cheaply when they started releasing Wii games? Probably a good place to start.

Meanwhile, I'm super in the mood for playing Mario Sunshine again. But I want to wait for the HD version (someday). Really want a shot of it now, though.

Just as well I've the last few treasures in Pikmin 2 to keep me busy/waste my time cos I'm weird and don't want to leave it nearly finished even though I'm a bit bored of it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Wind Waker was an absolute joy. Finished that.

Have been trudging through New Super Mario/Luigi since. It's a bit of a chore. Not a patch on SM3DW, or Rayman for that matter.

Just ordered Tropical Freeze, so looking forward to getting stuck into that instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭maddymcmaddser

I finally completed Donkey Kong Country Returns 100% (I didn't collect all the puzzle pieces though!)

I really enjoyed it, there were a few levels in the Factory zone that were a bit painful, the last boss wasn't too bad if you use the potion. The final level, 9-1 was incredibly hard, no checkpoints you just have to memorise it and try again, it took me about 60 lives!!

Overall a brilliant game with a terrible choice of control scheme, way too much waggle!! Looking forward to playing Tropical Freeze now with decent controls!

I've also just started Twilight Princess HD, I haven't played this since I got it on launch day with the Wii so I've probably forgotten most of it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Wiped my Animal Cross New Leaf save as the game had consumed me (largest house, largest town, had passed Gracie's fashion check etc). I think it was for the best.

Checking out the Nintendo Classic Mini has re-ignited my passion for that era of gaming so it might be time for some Super Mario Bros 3 tonight after work (some with sneaky Lylat Wars afterwards).

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Linoud

Been playing Pokemon Yellow on 3DS. So much simpler than newer games, but still really fun. :]

Linoud wrote: »
    Been playing Pokemon Yellow on 3DS. So much simpler than newer games, but still really fun. :]

I'm playing through that myself as well, I have 5 gym badges so far, still a great game after all these years! It's still my favourite generation of pokemon games!

Linoud wrote: »
    I was surprised I at how much I enjoyed it playing it again on the 3DS, I started it km July coming back from the UK. I stopped after Pokemon Go came out and I'm playing AA Spirit of Justice now so it'll be awhile again before I go back to it

• Registered Users Posts: 18,140 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Animal Crossing New Leaf and just got Dragon Quest IX a couple of hours ago so will be giving that a go in preparation for part VII which I still plan on getting soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Finished NSMBU. Ugh. Not a great experience. No interest in the star collection for star road. Simply not a very "fun" game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

Finished NSMBU. Ugh. Not a great experience. No interest in the star collection for star road. Simply not a very "fun" game.

I seem to be one of the few that actually really liked this. I honestly thought it was the best in the NSMB series.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Reebrock

Wave Race on the N64

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Deano7788 wrote: »
    I seem to be one of the few that actually really liked this. I honestly thought it was the best in the NSMB series.

Really shines when you've three friends over and *ahem* a few drinks taken.

Suddenly becomes 'Super Asshole Brothers'.

• Advertisement

Deano7788 wrote: »

I finished both NSMB Wii and Wii U 100% and thoroughly enjoyed both of them. The controls are still incredible, playing through to the end is easy enough but getting every star and completing every single level is a decent challenge.

Advertisement