Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are you playing, Nintendo edition.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Banjo wrote: »
    Kicked off Binding of Isaac a while ago. Couldn't see what all the fuss is about. 2 hours later and I still can't see what all the fuss is about, but damned if I can't stop looking for that blasted fuss!

That said, I've beaten 1 floor, once. This is infuriating.

How do the controls feel on the Switch? I've logged like 9 trillion hours on Steam and the one time I swapped the keyboard for an XBox pad it felt like I was defying the very laws of nature.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

sligeach wrote: »
    Finished Super Mario World this evening. It's a fantastic game, I can only imagine it would have blew me away 25 years ago. The level design is great, clever and there's so many secrets and shortcuts.
    DOtSsmoWsAUK3RR?format=jpg

DOtUdjGX4AA2jz8?format=jpg

I've only one level left, I used the back door into the castle but other than that, I've completed absolutely everything within the game, including Star Road and the Special Levels, I did them at the start. I'll complete the main entrance to the final castle shortly.

Well done Sligeach, it's a magnificent game.
    You should, if you haven't already, play Super Mario Bros 3. Preferably on the original hardware but otherwise via VC.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    How do the controls feel on the Switch? I've logged like 9 trillion hours on Steam and the one time I swapped the keyboard for an XBox pad it felt like I was defying the very laws of nature.

According to Cidonalad, who plays a lot of BoI, it's a fantastic edition of the game.
    It is, at its heart, a twin stick shooter, so a console with twin sticks should be it's natural home.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,382 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Well done Sligeach, it's a magnificent game.
    You should, if you haven't already, play Super Mario Bros 3. Preferably on the original hardware but otherwise via VC.

Ya, I own Super Mario Bros 3 on the SNES as part of All-Stars. SMW was just something I somehow missed, bought it years ago but decided to play when SMO came out. Having the "restore save point" feature helped a couple of times like cheating getting early access to the Special Levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,382 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Pac1Man wrote: »
    Must download this. Never played it, nor Super Metroid.:o

You have to play Super Metroid, it's literally one of the greatest games ever made. If there is a game that is a perfect 10, this is it. It was my favourite until BOTW, which I think has taken that crown. BOTW isn't perfect but it's sheer scale makes you ignore the imperfections.

• Advertisement

sligeach wrote: »
    Ya, I own Super Mario Bros 3 on the SNES as part of All-Stars. SMW was just something I somehow missed, bought it years ago but decided to play when SMO came out. Having the "restore save point" feature helped a couple of times like cheating getting early access to the Special Levels.

Super Mario Bros 3 really should be played on the Famicom or NES, I have it on both and it's amazing.

I think there were a few changes made to it for the Allstars pack that not everyone was happy with.

At this remove probably easier to play it on the Famicom/NES Mini Classic, and finding one of those is soon to get easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,139 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Pokemon Silver just at the elite four for first time gods damn they're frustrating, gonna go catch Lugia clone it and beat their sorry behinds.

Pokemon Silver just at the elite four for first time gods damn they're frustrating, gonna go catch Lugia clone it and beat their sorry behinds.

I don't know what any of that means.
    I'm not sure I'd be much happier if I did....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,139 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

No you probably won't be Pokemon be evil and time consuming but it's a good way to indulge OCD.

No you probably won't be Pokemon be evil and time consuming but it's a good way to indulge OCD.

Never got into it, I was too old when it was first released, and by then I had moved onto the PS and N64.
    It's incredible to think that a game seen now as defining the Gameboy actually wasn't released, in the EU at least, until some 9 years after the system was launched.

• Advertisement

I'm actually playing the remake again myself. Meant to just have as a quick something while I was on holiday, but fell down the EV-training hole again because my team needed a slight tweaking and then ended up spending like 3 hours yesterday decking Drowzee for their Sp. Def yield. Pokemon games are unavoidable time sinks, it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭maddymcmaddser

I'm actually playing the remake again myself. Meant to just have as a quick something while I was on holiday, but fell down the EV-training hole again because my team needed a slight tweaking and then ended up spending like 3 hours yesterday decking Drowzee for their Sp. Def yield. Pokemon games are unavoidable time sinks, it seems.
    I still think Silver is the best Pokemon game made, the first time you beat the Elite Four and you get the post game it's incredible, it really did blow my mind!
    I've played every mainline Pokemon game since and the post games have never had the same impact.

I still think Silver is the best Pokemon game made, the first time you beat the Elite Four and you get the post game it's incredible, it really did blow my mind!
    I've played every mainline Pokemon game since and the post games have never had the same impact.

I think the post-game in the remake is top-tier, but the original post-game in Gold and Silver annoys me due to how compressed it was, in retrospect at least. I was flabbergasted as a kid they fit Kanto in, and Iwata does deserve a nobel prize for whatever coding magic he pulled to make it work, but given not only is Kanto essentially hollowed out as to facilitate its inclusion due to size limitations, but it feels, in retrospect, that Johto didn't get a fair shake as that too had to be squashed down as to make sure Kanto made the cut. Would've just preferred one full region, I think.

That said, fantastic for their time.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭maddymcmaddser

I think the post-game in the remake is top-tier, but the original post-game in Gold and Silver annoys me due to how compressed it was, in retrospect at least. I was flabbergasted as a kid they fit Kanto in, and Iwata does deserve a nobel prize for whatever coding magic he pulled to make it work, but given not only is Kanto essentially hollowed out as to facilitate its inclusion due to size limitations, but it feels, in retrospect, that Johto didn't get a fair shake as that too had to be squashed down as to make sure Kanto made the cut. Would've just preferred one full region, I think.

That said, fantastic for their time.
    Ah ok, I've played through both and I agree Soul Silver is obviously superior to the original.  I had never played through either Red or Blue, Silver was the first Pokemon game I played through so when I first beat the elite four and I got to go back through the previous region was mind blowing to me at the time!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Dave0JV

Just bought Skyrim today. I had it when it first came out on the PS3 so I'm looking forward to seeing how it compares! I didn't realise it was also being released with all the DLC included so that was a nice surprise when I saw it on the box! 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Skyrim crashed for me during the intro - Heading up the tower during the opening moments, I tried to keep going up the tower when the game clearly wanted me to go elsewhere and it threw a mickey fit and died. Had to go back through the intro cinematic again.

Quicksave early, Quicksave often, people!

Is there an ideal build (in the mold of "Breton - Sign of the Atronach - Summon Ancestor Ghost" in morrowind?) or is everything viable?

Also, is there a button on switch that gives you the external camera? What's the point of spending 30 minutes crafting a smokin' hot Drow if I never get to see her again?

Press the + button, look for controls you dipstick.
    Honestly, you'd swear you were new to this or something!

I don't have time to press that button! There's crazy **** going down. I'm fighting for my life here man!
    (I know everyone else has played this, but this is my first go and I don't want to spoil it for that one other sub-rock dweller who missed this first, second, third.... nth time around)

The thing is, regardless of the attitude to the ports, I'd you've been a Nintendo devotee then Doom and Skyrim are going to be brand spanking new.
    So enjoy them at last!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,629 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

The thing is, regardless of the attitude to the ports, I'd you've been a Nintendo devotee then Doom and Skyrim are going to be brand spanking new.
    So enjoy them at last!!

That's me, that is.

I've gone back to BOTW, because I want to finish it, but don't want it to be over, so just doing quests and that.

Then there's Mario.

And I got Doom today.

How am I supposed to find time to play all this?

• Advertisement

So enjoy them at last!!

Doom will have to wait. But this Skyrim lark is deadly. Everyone talks like an extra from Vikings! The hottest girl in Riverwood is a hatchet-faced harridan! I just spent 20 minutes hauling 500 golds worth of armour down the mountain, then blew the lot on spells I have no use for!

Gotta say, not a fan of the interface. There's no easy way to swap between weapon sets or spells, good help you if you need a heal or a spectral henchman at short notice. But it looks amazing, runs smoothly and has all the pomp and ceremony I demand of an Elder Scrolls game!

Between the ES and FO games I've played over the years, the infernal interface is always a pain.
    But, then I watch someone proficient flick through them with ease and realise it's just me, I'm not competent enough yet, time to build capacity!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Really enjoying alternating between the delightful Super Mario Odyssey and the depraved DOOM.

Read into that what you will! :D

Star Lord wrote: »
    Really enjoying alternating between the delightful Super Mario Odyssey and the depraved DOOM.

You're a sick man, loving Japanese ephemera and Satan, so no surprises there at all!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

'Finished' SMO, technically only about 3/4s of the way through to 100% but I've played through the entire thing twice and some of the extras so I'm good for now, just sensational.

Finally started Golf Story - so far, so good.

Add those to BOTW, GEM, SDV, Mario and Rabbids, Splatoon 2, I am Setsuna, Arms, Has-Been Heroes, MK8, Overcooked, Kamiko, Thumper, Fast RMX, Shovel Knight and it's been the most prolific period of console gaming for me since I dunno when.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

mayordenis wrote: »
    'Finished' SMO, technically only about 3/4s of the way through to 100% but I've played through the entire thing twice and some of the extras so I'm good for now, just sensational.

Finally started Golf Story - so far, so good.

Add those to BOTW, GEM, SDV, Mario and Rabbids, Splatoon 2, I am Setsuna, Arms, Has-Been Heroes, MK8, Overcooked, Kamiko, Thumper, Fast RMX, Shovel Knight and it's been the most prolific period of console gaming for me since I dunno when.

Is Kamiko good? Or better put worth the 5 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 29,092 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Star Lord wrote: »

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Is Kamiko good? Or better put worth the 5 euro

Kinda hard to say, it's definitely very good at what it does but really short. It does make sense to play it a few times and if you do there is value at a fiver. I'd say they were fair on the price.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Never got into it, I was too old when it was first released, and by then I had moved onto the PS and N64.
    It's incredible to think that a game seen now as defining the Gameboy actually wasn't released, in the EU at least, until some 9 years after the system was launched.

I started playing Pokemon Blue in final year in university. Cheeky housemates used record the Pokemon cartoon for me in case there were hints :D

That summer, went on J1 to Chicago and bought Yellow for the plane. Flight attendant advised me that I cannot play the game on the plane, but not to worry as they have crayons and colouring books in the back if I wanted them.

Fcuk those losers, brilliant games :D

Back on topic, just finished Odyssey but will be playing it for months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Finished the main quest in Odyssey this evening, surprised it only took me five or six hours total I'd say.

Will have to see how much interest I'll have in going back to try and get all of the moon things after

Advertisement