Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are you playing, Nintendo edition.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Also, I'm stuck near the end of Metroid Prime on GC also.

Does anyone know and easy way or guide at finding all those Chozo Artifacts? It's driving me nuts.

The last boss is a curse!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Stardew Valley, its the most addictive game ive played in years
    Who cares about the deforestation i'm committing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Picked up Rocket League this morning in the sale. Great to have a portable version of it.

Graphics are a definite downgrade on the PS4 version but from the games I've played so far it is as enjoyable to play.

Don't know if it's my imagination but the lack of input lag on the Switch screen compared to playing on PS4 on the TV has made me a far better player!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

I have been loving Rocket League for a quick blast. But it's alarming how inconsistent I can be - going from Messi-anic genius in one game to ball-chasing roof-crawling buffoon in the next. I have a terrible feeling that the difference is that on a team with at least one Bot, if you hoof the ball up the pitch someone will get on the end of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Picked up Rocket League this morning in the sale. Great to have a portable version of it.

Graphics are a definite downgrade on the PS4 version but from the games I've played so far it is as enjoyable to play.

Don't know if it's my imagination but the lack of input lag on the Switch screen compared to playing on PS4 on the TV has made me a far better player!!

A patch is due shortly that will have a performance mode vs pretty mode that should improve things. I find most stadiums looks fine, but Wasteland, in particular, looks horrendous.

• Advertisement

So ya Stardew on the switch could easily end up being my top played game of all time
    The only thing stopping me right now is the wife and Uni :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

irishman86 wrote: »
    So ya Stardew on the switch could easily end up being my top played game of all time
    The only thing stopping me right now is the wife and Uni :pac:

Agreed. It's indescribably amazing how simple tasks can be so enjoyable. I only started it yesterday so I'm not allowed into anyone's bedroom yet.

Pac1Man wrote: »
    Agreed. It's indescribably amazing how simple tasks can be so enjoyable. I only started it yesterday so I'm not allowed into anyone's bedroom yet.

Story of my life :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

Just got Arms yesterday. Enjoying it so far. Easy pick up and play game but i can see it being a long slog to master. Dipped my toe into the unranked online play and lost about 8 out of 10 matches. The wins were satisfying though.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Still playing through Skyrim and still loving it on the go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Have tailed off collecting moons in Mario Odyssey post game (have almost 500), haven't tried the kingdom that you can access at 250 yet - think I've overdosed on Mario for the moment. Awesome game though!

So am playing The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth in portable mode and Steamworld Dig 2 on the big screen, the latter is a wonderful game (much like its predecessor) and very much a 'just one more go/turn' type, similar to Civilization!

Have Doom, Splatoon 2 and Mario + Rabbits Kingdom Battle lined up next on the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I bought Rocket League on impulse the last day when it was on sale. I had no real idea what it was but had seen loads of people talking about it on reddit etc over the last couple of years.

Got around to giving it a spin last night and while I am utterly useless at it I have to say it's unbelievably good craic. I can see myself losing years to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,516 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Got a few new indies recently.

Dandara is a great metroidvania with a unique control scheme (think puzzle bobble aiming + platforming). Lovely game, really enjoying it so far. Just beat the first boss over the weekend (after lots of attempts) and the area after it is a steep challenge. This game isn't easy. It does have some flaws though. Even 20 year old games of this type have some kind of indicator on the map of where to go next. This one doesn't and you can be bouncing around aimlessly to try and find what the next area is. You can see rooms on the map with exits you haven't used yet, but that isn't enough. There is no quick travel (yet?) so hopefully that happens soon.

Shu is a gorgeous platformer with lovely HD visuals, great music and a nice familiar platforming style. It's only supposed to be 3-5 hours long, but that's if you race from the start to the end. If you like exploring and like collectibles, there are hundreds on every level (hundreds of little sparkly things - you need a quota of those to unlock the next level), 6 well hidden "babbys" (like little gnomes?) and there is a tile or tablet of some sort (not sure what they do yet). When you replay a level, the collectibles you've already found are a different colour, so you can easily spot the ones you've missed - this was a great design decision and makes the levels very re-playable. At €8.99, this is perfectly priced for what you get.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Over 700 moons in Mario now... Darker Side of the Moon was a real slog to get through, but still immensely enjoyable! The kind of punishment where every time you died you knew it was an error on your part, and you could then fly through bits you struggled with previously, only to come undone by being reckless on something stupid, or a slight misjudgement. Never "controller flinging" type frustration though, because you knew it was you, not the game being unfair or anything like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. How did everyone get on with 200cc? I think it's like F-Zero, but instead of tapping acceleration for corners, you tap the brake. Yoshi's Circuit is trickier at all levels than I recall it being in Double Dash.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,096 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I see Golf Story is 20% off. Well worth picking up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭wheresmahbombs

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    How did everyone get on with 200cc?

You can't do 200cc without brake-drifting. For the brief moments I had with 200cc, I think I enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭maddymcmaddser

Just this morning I've started Mother 3, I've only played the first 20 minutes and I'm really liking it so far, the writing is very clever in it. I've been meaning to start this for a long time, has anyone else here played it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

You can't do 200cc without brake-drifting. For the brief moments I had with 200cc, I think I enjoyed it.

The brake-drifting I can just about get my head around, but the margin for error at 200cc is so minimal, you can go from 1st to 6th in 2 seconds with no wiggle room for recovery.
    Just this morning I've started Mother 3, I've only played the first 20 minutes and I'm really liking it so far, the writing is very clever in it. I've been meaning to start this for a long time, has anyone else here played it?

Yes, loved it.

Very early game spoliers:
    Still can't understand why they had to have Hinawa's funeral without Flint.

Also still cycling through my The Lost unlocks in Isaac: Afterbirth+ (ahem, humblebrag). Starting with Holy Mantle in Afterbirth+ sure makes you feel stupid for slogging through The Lost unlocks in the original Isaac: Rebirth.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,092 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Splatoon 2. Just taking a break for dinner before going on to the final boss. Also controller died so that could be the reason for the break while it charges

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,263 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Shantae half genie hero on Switch. Despite the cartoonish graphics it represents a decent challenge

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

chrislad wrote: »
    A patch is due shortly that will have a performance mode vs pretty mode that should improve things. I find most stadiums looks fine, but Wasteland, in particular, looks horrendous.

Finally played a bit in docked mode and it looks far better than handheld! Still not PS4 quality but it's not really noticeable when you're mid game anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,092 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Ace Attorney: Justice For All.

Bought the trilogy on sale on eShop a while back and have already finished the first on the DS.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,888 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

bought Axiom Verge on the eStore yesterday because of the sale, really enjoying it. Great for short bursts of gameplay between those long Zelda sessions!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

enjoying dragon quest builders the last couple of days, great for hopping on and off in short bursts.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I'm about 7 chapters into Bayonetta at the moment. I've not played it since it launched on the Xbox. I'm not very good at it. After a Platinum in the first couple of chapters, I'm getting Stones the rest. :D

It's really fun though, and I need to spend a bit of time testing out combos and new weapons.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

enjoying dragon quest builders the last couple of days, great for hopping on and off in short bursts.

What's the game like? Is it an RPG with town-building (Dark Cloud) or Tower Defense or Minecraft? I've liked some of the Dragon Quest games in the past (hard to find a straightforward RPG these days) and I'm curious about this one and how it's similar and different from other Dragon Quest games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

Rhyme wrote: »
    What's the game like? Is it an RPG with town-building (Dark Cloud) or Tower Defense or Minecraft? I've liked some of the Dragon Quest games in the past (hard to find a straightforward RPG these days) and I'm curious about this one and how it's similar and different from other Dragon Quest games.

Only passed the first chapter in dqb, but its like minecraft in 3rd person and building up your own town. The more materials you gather the more things you can build and level up with better structures. You find people to join up in quests and they provide the recipes for better tools and equipment and buildings. At the end of every few quests your town will gett attacked and you must defend it like tower defence. Its not a traditional rpg in the sence that you dont level up, its your town that does, its very much a dragonquest story and universe, but it doesn't play the same way as the other dq games. Very much enjoying it tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Just got Bayonetta 2 (1 ain't downloaded yet)
    Still love this game. Would have loved to have been in the meetings where they planned out the cutscenes.
    "OK, so she's in a skin-tight catsuit"
    "I like it already!"
    "...and she's jumping in the air with her legs akimbo"
    "Of course! Akimbo is the only way to jump!"
    "... and the camera follows a track along her neck, between her breasts and off her crotch down one leg"
    "Orson Welles would be proud"
    "... and then jumps to another girl in a skintight costume, and does something similar"
    "Wait, that sounds a little bit samey and definitely more than a little exploitatiiiiiiaaaaaaaargh!" <- this guy's chair tilts him back through a hatch into a fire pit. He's replaced by someone who gives 2 thumbs up and shouts "Tokyo Drift!"
    "... that other girl is the first girls mum!"
    "****ing shakespeare!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Only passed the first chapter in dqb, but its like minecraft in 3rd person and building up your own town. The more materials you gather the more things you can build and level up with better structures. You find people to join up in quests and they provide the recipes for better tools and equipment and buildings. At the end of every few quests your town will gett attacked and you must defend it like tower defence. Its not a traditional rpg in the sence that you dont level up, its your town that does, its very much a dragonquest story and universe, but it doesn't play the same way as the other dq games. Very much enjoying it tho.

Thanks. I'll pop it on the 'to buy' list :)

Advertisement