Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are you playing, Nintendo edition.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,400 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

If you've not played Pikmin 3 yet you should. One of the most criminally overlooked games in the last decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    If you've not played Pikmin 3 yet you should. One of the most criminally overlooked games in the last decade.

Oh that got played a long time ago and agree, game was glorious. Another two that stick out is wonderful 101 and Yoshis wooly world. Man those two were amazing, especially wooly world trying to get 100% completion co-op was some great times.

I refuse to get beaten by unfamiliar controls ha ha Been dipping into Star Fox and just replaying the first two missions every now and then the last few days. Something clicked today, got gold in cornaria and not once cracked up over the controls and two screen setup.... I actually, almost, nearly felt they added to the game. Also figuring out things like shooting the burning wreckage of kills counts as another kill and the multiple routes/ways to tackle a boss ect is really interesting and there’s replay value for sure.

I may have written the game off too quickly. Definilty the gyro aiming is a great idea, the fly one way but shoot the other. The two screens setup I think is what’s jarring and at first to be honest adds nothing but annoyance and confusion. buuuuut... it’s definitly entertaining to watch someone else play I’ll give it that. May have to eat my earlier post but not sold just yet.

Almost convinced.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

chrislad wrote: »
    I finished Attack on Titan late last week. It was pretty good, though a bit repetitive. If you liked the show, you'll enjoy it, as it follows both Season 1 and 2 closely (though with some minor changes to force your character into the situation).

I'm currently working my way through Doom. I had started it, but had a few issues, so coming back post-patch, and it plays a lot better. I've about 4 levels left to go in that one.

The plan then is to go through the backlog and focus on one at a time. I have Blossom Tales, Xenoblade Chronicles, Kirby, and a couple more that I picked up in the sale, like Fe, to start, and I really want to get the post game in Celeste done

Doom completed. That was a lot of fun. The only negative is that when the action gets really going, it can be difficult to pick up the orange-hued demons from the orange-hued background. Overall though, a lot of fun.

I've decided to finish off Kirby. I'm on the last world so it should only take a day or so, and then I'll focus on Blossom Tale. I want to have a somewhat clear plate for when South Park is released.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I don't know where to start with my Switch pile, which is a subsection of my greater current Nintendo pile, which is itself a component of my overall Nintendo pile.
    This also then features in parallel to my Sony, Xbox, Atari and Sega piles.
    Damn, that's a lot of piles....

Preparation_H_Colling_Gel_Main.png

• Registered Users Posts: 29,092 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Just started Kirby's Epic Yarn. Don't think I'll bother with all the stuff like furnishing the house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Just bought Football Manager Touch for the Switch. It's way more streamlined and simplified compared to the PC version but I'll take it -- gives me something to play while I'm away from home.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Finally been able to put down Skyrim for now and Shovel Knight is eating up my time. It's such good value for the entire package and there's few platform games as tightly designed in the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I can't wait for the last pack for Shovel Knight. I must go back and replay it. It was one of the first titles I got, so it's been a good while since I played it. Great value on the current sale though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

I am confused and distracted in equal measures with bayonetta. It's like my dirty secret that I can only play when the rest of the house is in bed!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Well yesterday, I finally got around to starting Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door.
    9 hours in and only at chapter 2. Love it!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Well yesterday, I finally got around to starting Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door.

Think it's the best of the Paper Mario games, so enjoyable and so much personality to it!

In my top three of all time. I remember picking it up on release but being so busy with college I could only play it every other weekend, until the Christmas holidays.

Loved every second of it. Might need to revisit it soon :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

It's also the 'last' Paper Mario. Super Paper (Wii) was a departure, but pretty good, then the whole thing just disappeared into gimmickry.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    It's also the 'last' Paper Mario. Super Paper (Wii) was a departure, but pretty good, then the whole thing just disappeared into gimmickry.

I'd almost say that Super Paper Mario was the launch of the gimmicks (perspective flipping) but still rooted in a lot of what made Paper Mario great (I'd compare it to Resident Evil 4 in being the bridge between old and new in that franchise).

If a new Paper Mario game in the vein of the N64 release and Gamecube release appeared with a big number '3' slapped on the case, it'd make perfect sense to me. Regardless, I'd be first in line to buy it.

Back playing Mario Odyssey from the beginning again, needed a 'big' game to wow me on a large scale. Odyssey is not disappointing (for a second time). Death Road To Canada is out this week so I'm hoping me finishing Odyssey will sync up with that and get me back into the couple of smaller games I've yet to finish (Enter The Gungeon, Mercenary Kings etc) and want to replay (Steamworld: Heist).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Super Paper Mario is the Dark Souls of Paper Marios.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Danonino. wrote: »

In my top three of all time. I remember picking it up on release but being so busy with college I could only play it every other weekend, until the Christmas holidays.

Loved every second of it. Might need to revisit it soon :D

Totally do. It's a time sink as you know, but worth it ðŸ˜
    Mr.Saturn wrote: »

Yeah I've played Super Paper Mario on Wii. It was good, but my god there was WAY too much chit chat in it. There is a lot of talk in TTYD, but I don't seem to mind it at all.

I have Colour Splash for WiiU but I never got around to playing it. I've heard it's not the worst. Might give it a go in the next few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

keane2097 wrote: »
    Super Paper Mario is the Dark Souls of Paper Marios.

If we all direct our eyes upwards, you might notice this one going right over my head.

The only paper Mario I didn’t like/play through was sticker star or whatnot. colour splash was actually pretty good. Not a paper Mario reaaaally but I enjoyed it all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

Just bought South Park on Switch. Only played about an hour so far and it's been very hand-holdy. Although I'm glad of that cos I've never played one of these games before really.
    The humour is brilliant, it really does feel like you're watching an episode of the show.
    Only downside so far is the load screens. Every time i enter a new room the screen goes black and i get the losing icon. Sometimes for just a second or 2. Other times for up to 10 seconds. Just long enough to make it slightly annoying.

Other than that, so far so good. Bought it as part of the smyths discount offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

Playing Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze. First game I've played on the Switch. Really enjoying it though it can be very very tough at times. You need to be very precise with the controls. I'm playing it as intended, i.e. With Donkey Kong not Funky. Graphics are gorgeous. On the third island now. Is there really only 6?

This is my first Nintendo console (bought the mini snes a few weeks back but not counting that). Have Mario Odyssey and Zelda sitting there too. I'll probably start Mario after this. If it is better than Donkey Kong, as I've heard, then I'm in for a treat. Holding off on Zelda as believe it's a time sink and I want to have some time available for the Dark Souls remaster on PS4 in a couple of weeks. Will then get stuck into Zelda.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

There's a fecking great big Grey Owl boss, Scowl, that drove me scatty, and he was only on level 2!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Holding off on Zelda as believe it's a time sink and I want to have some time available for the Dark Souls remaster on PS4 in a couple of weeks. Will then get stuck into Zelda.

Make sure you finish off any outstanding open world games you have before starting Zelda. It will change the way you view the genre. I had to stop playing Horizon after 15 hours or so due to how utterly boring and restrictive it felt in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    There's a fecking great big Grey Owl boss, Scowl, that drove me scatty, and he was only on level 2!

I'm on that boss now. Hate him. Gonna need more red balloons.

Yeah he drove me crazy for a while last night. Initially thought I'd to use the platforms on the side. Getting nowhere so headed out to get a curry when I suddenly realised how to finish it. I'm on 3-5 now where I've to steer a barrel through the level and I'm really struggling with that. Can only get to the second checkpoint. Finding the barrel extremely awkward.

Pac1Man wrote: »
    Make sure you finish off any outstanding open world games you have before starting Zelda. It will change the way you view the genre. I had to stop playing Horizon after 15 hours or so due to how utterly boring and restrictive it felt in comparison.

Funny you should mention that as HZD is the only open world game I have there and I stopped on the second or third last quest to play God of War. Must finish it up so before BotW.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Pac1Man wrote: »

It's funny the different views folks have on games. Think I got as far as two divine beasts in Zelda and moved on to Mario. Yet I'd no problem finishing HZD. The Witcher 3 is better than both of them anyway as far as open world games go. :pac:

Bought a few smaller games for the Switch recently - Aqua Kitty DX, Super One More Jump, Celeste and Golf Story (yet to start it). The three I've played are pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,263 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Thumper. Just finished first level. Very intense. Certainly original

Yep, I still hate under water levels. That fugu Boss is kicking my arse repeatedly. Owl boy has nothing on it.

I might pop the WiiU version on again, see how I get on.
    I'm finding fewer and fewer reasons to keep the WiiU by the main telly, might be time to move it to the great games room in the sky...

Well, the great games room in the attic at least....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭AMGer

I actually got passed Skowl a lot quicker than I thought I would, I spent more time trying to beat the Seal on world 1.

I never played Tropical Freeze on the U so this is my first experience with it, loving it so far, quite tough which is a good thing. Should keep me going for quite a while!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

I might pop the WiiU version on again, see how I get on.
    I'm finding fewer and fewer reasons to keep the WiiU by the main telly, might be time to move it to the great games room in the sky...

Well, the great games room in the attic at least....

I did move it to my games room. It was ignored for several months by me and then the children remembered it was there.

Apparently the Switch and Xbox are cool and all that, but they don't have Super Mario 3D World, Super Mario Maker or Smash Brothers.

It's now been suggested that I look at getting a birthday cake with Sprixies on it. I said I didn't think this was possible. It was suggested that I keep looking. The undertone of threat was clear.

So yeah, Wii U is cool again.

Advertisement