Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are you playing, Nintendo edition.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

Yep, I still hate under water levels. That fugu Boss is kicking my arse repeatedly. Owl boy has nothing on it.

So I got past the Fugu. Why did it feel like a Dark Souls Boss?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Finished Shovel Knight today, really enjoyable game

What next...... Not sure if I can take getting into Skyrim!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Just restarted Skyrim cause I forgot where I was going. (4 month break from a 20-30 hr save.) Almost immediately stumbled across a whole rake of quests I walked straight past the first time. 15 hrs in and aside from the intro I've not repeated a quest yet. I'm going to die with this game on no more than 40% done. You're as well off out of it!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Picked up Payday 2 there last week.
    Really enjoying it so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Picked up Death Road To Canada, experienced the low FPS bug, restarted console and now working fine. Great little game and the music is top-notch.

I've made a few family and friends in the game so they turn up occasionally which is good fun. Can't wait to sink a bit more time into it since I was 3 days from Canada the last time I died.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,629 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

I've had it.

I'm waiting till this E3 is over, and if there's no news on a Mario Sunshine re release, I'm just gonna play the one I have already.

Don't care. Fed up waiting. Grr.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭wheresmahbombs

Having finished Bayonetta 2, I decided to start the first game. Timing button presses to pull off certain combos seems to be more difficult than in 2.

Got to the end credits of DKCTF earlier. Excellent game. Loved it. Last Boss was a nightmare though. Didn't unlock the 7th island though as some of those letters seemed impossible to get. I know they aren't but seemed that way. Don't have the patience to go for 100%.

Started Mario Odyssey then. Not really feeling it. Granted, I'm only on the first World, the sand one. Finding the 3D elements aren't great, camera is crap. Love the 2D sections though. I'll persevere for now. Hope it gets better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭AMGer

Got to the end credits of DKCTF earlier. Excellent game. Loved it.

I’m working my way through world 5 at the moment, it’s nerve wracking :) The ‘end’ of the Fruit Factory level is just plan cruel!

Do you need to get KONG on every level to unlock world 7?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,516 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Yes. Collect all Kong letters on all levels in a world to unlock a secret temple in that world. Finish the temple to get a relic. Collect all relics to unlock the last island.

• Advertisement

Mr E wrote: »
    Yes. Collect all Kong letters on all levels in a world to unlock a secret temple in that world. Finish the temple to get a relic. Collect all relics to unlock the last island.

Wow, did not realise how much was involved in getting that island unlocked. Thought you just needed to collect KONG in each area. To access the additional areas in each island do you need to find secret exits in the level preceding it or is there some other way? And you need to collect KONG in these also to get the secret Island unlocked?
    AMGer wrote: »
    I’m working my way through world 5 at the moment, it’s nerve wracking :) The ‘end’ of the Fruit Factory level is just plan cruel!

Do you need to get KONG on every level to unlock world 7?

Yep, that part in the Fruit Factory level was indeed cruel. Although I did find a more challenging level on the sixth island which I lost over 50 lives on!

I thought hard mode would unlock once I beat the 6th Boss but you need to 100% it for that I think. Although making it through a level with just one heart and no checkpoints is definitely not something I would be able to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭safetyboy

Started Bayonetta 2 on the Wii U, the graphics are amazing for such an old machine and the movement is great. Seems like a button basher so far but I know there's more to it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

So, playing Hyper Sentinel and I realised what was going wrong with it.
    I was getting p1ssed off with it because, having owned Uridium the first time around on my Spectrum, I knew that the shadow casting structures on the alien ship's decks were supposed to damage your fighter, and for some reason they didn't, making the game just... lousy.

But... When I flipped the difficulty from normal to retro it was a revelation!
    Now it played as the update to Uridium really should have, with damage dealt by enemy craft collisions, bullets and those pesky shadow casting structures!

Lots of fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,263 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

safetyboy wrote: »
    Started Bayonetta 2 on the Wii U, the graphics are amazing for such an old machine and the movement is great. Seems like a button basher so far but I know there's more to it.

I played some of Bayonetta on xbox360, and while i could see it was a well made game, with great style, i stopped playing after around 90 mins and never went back to it. The funny thing if it was in an arcade i could see myself feeding it cash and wanting to finish it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

manual_man wrote: »
    I played some of Bayonetta on xbox360, and while i could see it was a well made game, with great style, i stopped playing after around 90 mins and never went back to it. The funny thing if it was in an arcade i could see myself feeding it cash and wanting to finish it. :)

I feel that way about most Platinum games, Wonderful 101 included. Glorified button mashers. Nier Automata was great though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,400 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Started Mario Odyssey then. Not really feeling it. Granted, I'm only on the first World, the sand one. Finding the 3D elements aren't great, camera is crap. Love the 2D sections though. I'll persevere for now. Hope it gets better.

Takes a while to click. Wasn't sure about the game until about halfway through the sand area and I realised it was incredible.

Currently playing Kirby's Epic Yarn on the Wii. Which is criminal considering I have Kirby Star Allies sitting practically unplayed.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,263 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Takes a while to click. Wasn't sure about the game until about halfway through the sand area and I realised it was incredible.

It's a good game. But like many i certainly don't think it's incredible. But that's down to my underlying feeling that Mario isn't particularly well suited to an open world environment.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

That Kirby rainbow game looks great on the big screen but you wind up spending most of your time staring at the less impressive Touchpad, hence why it's the great barely played Kirby game in my house.

Is anyone playing Sky Force Reloaded? I got a few new Switch games lately, and I keep coming back to this. It's like crack cocaine (allegedly).

It has a massive amount of depth and replayability, and has a lot in common with an RPG.

You start off with a pea shooter that you slowly upgrade to serious firepower. As you play levels, you collect stars. You upgrade your ship with the stars and get permanently stronger.

You complete challenges (70% enemies killed, 100% enemies killed, don't take damage, rescue all hostages) to get medals. Collect medals to unlock more stages.
    When you collect all 4 medals on a stage, you unlock a 'Hard' difficulty with the same challenges. When you collect those medals, it unlocks an 'Insane' difficulty.
    I can see that there is one higher than that (which must unlock later).

So you jump between levels and difficulties to try and collect medals to unlock new stages, all the while spending stars on upgrades to get stronger. You will have to grind though.

There are also new ships to unlock, cards to pick up (which give perks, some permanent, some time limited), there is a prestige system for unlocking other perks, new ships to unlock (with new abilities).... the depth is unbelievable.

Best tenner I've spent in a long time.

Oh and the game itself is fantastic too. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Jjjjjjjbarry

Is anyone playing Sky Force Reloaded? I got a few new Switch games lately, and I keep coming back to this. It's like crack cocaine (allegedly).

Looks great! Might check this out - thanks.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Thanks for the heads up Mr. E, it's very addictive alright. Sky Force Anniversary is free on Game Pass so playing that version instead, not sure if there's much difference between the two.

I put on Splatoon 2 for the first time in months last night, really haven't played much of it since the first weeks after it's release.
    I wanted to try out my cheap ass 3rd party Pro controller and the control since I found much of the controller lag was due to the TV's picture processing, which is now turned off.

I have to say, it was fantastic!

I put about two or three hours into it, had a blast, both in multi and single player modes.
    And looking forward to playing it again, despite all the other titles baying for attention.

I am still pretty useless at it, but with some practice, perhaps I can become simply sub-competent... one can dream!

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Thanks for the heads up Mr. E, it's very addictive alright. Sky Force Anniversary is free on Game Pass so playing that version instead, not sure if there's much difference between the two.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/667600/discussions/0/1489992713690367446/

More levels, plus:
    There are a ton.

More upgrades.

Wing cannons function differently.

New enemy types.

Faster ship movement.

Cards that provide temporary bonuses instead of being permanent, plus the return of the permanent cards.

Different ship types that offer different bonuses (ie. one ship starts out with maxed weapons, but can only take one hit before you die)

There's a progression system that earns you different copilots that offer unique bonuses.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Ah now why did you have to go posting that - you're going to cost me a tenner now!! Also, I'll have to start from scratch again with no upgrades. :(

Cheers though. :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Picked up Payday 2 cheaply.
    Quite enjoying it actually. Its a decent enough FPS on the switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭safetyboy

Oh and the game itself is fantastic too. :)

This is a fantastic game, cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭AMGer

Although I did find a more challenging level on the sixth island which I lost over 50 lives on!

Please tell me it was a Blurry Flurry

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Had to stop playing Skyrim

Sun these days makes it impossible to see clearly on the train when with full brightness

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Mr E wrote:

Based on this post I picked it up, with the gold points I had in Norway, worked out at about €4.

Advertisement