Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are you playing, Nintendo edition.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,516 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Just saw this on Facebook (on NVC group). Massively detailed Hollow Knight map (with annotations).
    I didn't look at it in detail, but I've saved to Dropbox to refer to at a later stage if I need to.

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/937186534572002861/C2B665B18C4B8EC4D429D02FD53C2DAD358A8F86/

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Yeah that was the first thing I thought when I saw the trailer for Flashback - looks horrible! They could've it some sort of scanline filter option, emulating the game would look much better than the above.

I spotted another retro game on the e-shop, D/Generation, it also has some bull**** pricing, €16.99!! Think you can download the original legally for free or the HD version is €6.99 on Steam. I know you can't lug a PC on the bus with you but some of the pricing on these retro re-release is laughable.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I can play D-Generation on my Amiga CD32...
    I mean, I have never played it on my Amiga CD32, but I could.
    If I wanted to.
    Which I don't.
    But it's there, just in case....
    Which it probably won't.....

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I can play D-Generation on my Amiga CD32...
    I mean, I have never played it on my Amiga CD32, but I could.
    If I wanted to.
    Which I don't.
    But it's there, just in case....
    Which it probably won't.....

No way! You got a CD-32?

Is that controller as uncomfortable to use as it looks?

EDIT : really good article from Nostalgia Nerd about it :
    http://www.nostalgianerd.com/the-amiga-cd32

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Yeah, some of the most content filled games out there can be finished insanely quick. Loved seeing a speed run of morrowind where someone brews a potion that buffs their jumping so much they can just leap straight to the final dungeon.

Breath of the wild is similar. You could spend 200 hours doing all the quests or you could finish it in less than 40 minutes if you're talented and lucky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Agreed. It doesn't look right at all. It's like they applied some upscale filter. Just looks wrong. They should at least have given the option to toggle.

They did

mWHVOuil.png
    These are preset

2LHRHNkl.png?1
    You can tick one or multiple boxes

You can play it any way you want.

I'm playing the original 1993 version with no fancy bits or post-fx added (except bloom) and on Expert difficulty.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

No way! You got a CD-32?

Is that controller as uncomfortable to use as it looks?

EDIT : really good article from Nostalgia Nerd about it :
    http://www.nostalgianerd.com/the-amiga-cd32

I didn't get an official controller with mine, just a crap 3rd party Competition Pro pad that looks like a light grey Megadrive pad over encumbered with buttons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭AMGer

Didn’t expect much from the story (adventure) mode in Mario Tennis Aces but I’ve been pleasantly surprised - reasonably challenging and does a good job at honing the skills you’ll need against good players in the online PvP

AMGer wrote: »
    Didn’t expect much from the story (adventure) mode in Mario Tennis Aces but I’ve been pleasantly surprised - reasonably challenging and does a good job at honing the skills you’ll need against good players in the online PvP

The game just did not click with me at all.

There's nothing to unlock, so there's no real sense of progression, so the game (to me) feels fairly bland and shallow. There's very little to do outside of the online tournaments. I'm disappointed, because I absolutely loved the demo.

I'm glad I didn't go digital on this one. Have it on Adverts already. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

Ya I'm glad i got Aces on cartridge too. Will probably play a few games online with mates. But i will probably sell this on soon enough.

• Advertisement

I picked up Mario & Rabbids in the sale.

Played it 4 hours straight

I never thought I'd enjoy it let alone get addicted to it!

It's a gem. And that soundtrack is steller.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,096 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Played a few games of Fortnight today. Slowly getting better now and managed a few wins in the new game mode with five teams.

Also put a bit of time into Hollow Knight and I'm really enjoying it. It's definitely a bargain at €15.

Played Paladins over the weekend, really enjoyed it. The weird thing about it is that you're actually downloading the F2P version when you buy it. Most characters are locked, but you can still play with the free characters.

You get an email with a code to redeem in the eShop to unlock the Founders Pack.

So they could have released the F2P version for free now, and trusted that anyone who thinks it's a good game would have paid for the Founders Pack.

I think they would have gotten a massive influx of new players (and still gotten a big payday from the Founders Pack) if they taken the "Brave" route over the "Greedy" one.

Mr E wrote: »
    Played Paladins over the weekend, really enjoyed it. The weird thing about it is that you're actually downloading the F2P version when you buy it. Most characters are locked, but you can still play with the free characters.

You get an email with a code to redeem in the eShop to unlock the Founders Pack.

So they could have released the F2P version for free now, and trusted that anyone who thinks it's a good game would have paid for the Founders Pack.

I think they would have gotten a massive influx of new players (and still gotten a big payday from the Founders Pack) if they taken the "Brave" route over the "Greedy" one.

Yeah bit if a strange choice by them. When I first saw it on the e-shop I thought it was a different game as it's supposed to be f2p. Are you able to buy cosmetics with real money like Fortnite? That's got to be another huge source of income for those types of games.

Yeah, just cosmetics.

There are no 'pay to win' mechanics (thank God).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Gyan84

Been playing Hollow Knight because I decided to give it a try despite the fact I'm hopeless at metroidvania games.

I'm enjoying it so far especially after I beat
    Hornet
    because the game seemed to be opening up but I'm getting frustrated now because everything seems so far away from everything else that when I die it takes me 5 or ten minutes of mindless platforming to get from the nearest bench back to where I was.

I think the save points are on a par with other games of this type.

The kicker is the geo though - if you die on your way back to your soul, you lose all money you were originally carrying.

Makes you appreciate the
    bank
    when you find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Gyan84

Doesn't she run off with the geo if you rest at a bench/fast travel ?

There aren't usually any benches between you and your soul so I've never tried it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Having bought Mario Odyssey over xmas, I finally got around to playing an hour or two of it over the weekend.
    It seems a good game but TBH I couldn't enjoy it coz I felt the controls were way too loose. I was expecting the same feel as Mario 64, but trying to run in a specific line had me all over the place. The controls just feel a bit off.

I also saw a moon
    at the start there, down the hill from the dinosaur, just on from the "Odyssey"
    , but I couldn't get it. Am I meant to be able to climb that platform, or is that one to get after you complete the game and get some new skills or something?
    There's a kind of breakable rock platform beside it that I smashed up with the T-Rex. Not sure if I was meant to do that or not. Or if I was meant to use it to climb up.

• Advertisement

The_B_Man wrote: »
    Having bought Mario Odyssey over xmas, I finally got around to playing an hour or two of it over the weekend.
    It seems a good game but TBH I couldn't enjoy it coz I felt the controls were way too loose. I was expecting the same feel as Mario 64, but trying to run in a specific line had me all over the place. The controls just feel a bit off.
    All I can say here is stick with it, and your precision will improve. Eventually you'll have Mario landing on a pin head.

(In contrast, I went back to try some of the older games and found them too clunky. Mario Sunshine in particular.)
    The_B_Man wrote: »
    I also saw a moon
    at the start there, down the hill from the dinosaur, just on from the "Odyssey"
    , but I couldn't get it. Am I meant to be able to climb that platform, or is that one to get after you complete the game and get some new skills or something?
    There's a kind of breakable rock platform beside it that I smashed up with the T-Rex. Not sure if I was meant to do that or not. Or if I was meant to use it to climb up.
    More moons are unlocked after you complete the game, but right now, any moon you see, you should be able to collect.

I picked up Mario & Rabbids in the sale.

Played it 4 hours straight

I never thought I'd enjoy it let alone get addicted to it!

It's a gem. And that soundtrack is steller.

For those interested Smyths will have the physical release of the gold edition - won’t be able for pre order for some reason, I assume they’ll have it sometime this week.

AMGer wrote: »
    For those interested Smyths will have the physical release of the gold edition - won’t be able for pre order for some reason, I assume they’ll have it sometime this week.

Ah ****e, what price?

Ah ****e, what price?

No idea - hoping it will be the same as the discounted version that’s on the eshop at the moment although I’d be surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Got a loan of 1-2-Switch and Rayman yesterday.

I can see why 1-2 Switch gets a lot of stick but it's a fine fun game. Absolutely mad but if you think about what you're doing and follow the audio queues without complaining, it's great fun. The flag and quick draw games are two of the best so far.

Rayman is as you'd expect, solid game, great humour and lots of things hidden away. I think I'm going to enjoy it (it may delay my purchase of Crash Bandicoot too).

• Registered Users Posts: 28,096 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Hollow Knight is so good. It's one of those games that I know I'm going to enjoy straight off the bat.

Killed the first boss earlier. Fecker with a what looked like a bone, killed me about 20 times. Walked past his corpse delighted with myself and went wandering around another bit.... Found the actual first boss :pac:

He wasn't bad at the end and I got him first time even though it was close a few times :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Hollow Knight is so good. It's one of those games that I know I'm going to enjoy straight off the bat.

Killed the first boss earlier. Fecker with a what looked like a bone, killed me about 20 times. Walked past his corpse delighted with myself and went wandering around another bit.... Found the actual first boss :pac:

He wasn't bad at the end and I got him first time even though it was close a few times :)

I'm about 5 hours in at this point; such a great game and so perfect for the Switch! More games of this type please game developers of the world!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

ionapaul wrote: »
    I'm about 5 hours in at this point; such a great game and so perfect for the Switch! More games of this type please game developers of the world!

I'm about 30 hours in. I just have the final boss to do. Amazing game. Worth every penny and then some. I'm looking forward to the next DLC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

I already feel like Mario Tennis is passing me buy. I've only played about an hour of the game and am relatively good at it. Go online to play a few tournaments and I'm getting trashed in almost every match. It's fun to play against mates but there seems to be no system to pair you up against players of similar skill level online. In the 8 games I've played online I've been matched with players who's online score is in the thousands. Hardly seems fair when I'm on about 100.

• Advertisement

I already feel like Mario Tennis is passing me buy. I've only played about an hour of the game and am relatively good at it. Go online to play a few tournaments and I'm getting trashed in almost every match. It's fun to play against mates but there seems to be no system to pair you up against players of similar skill level online. In the 8 games I've played online I've been matched with players who's online score is in the thousands. Hardly seems fair when I'm on about 100.

Took a break from Hollow Knight last night to play Aces. I've only killed the first boss in the tutorial/Adventure Mode so not really much use at the trick shots. So decided to play the Simple class mode in the online tournament - like yourself I more often than not came up against much better players and got soundly beaten, although some of that was down to me just not being familair with the character's they were using - Boo's slices are mental for example. My score is around 300 but my rating 1900+ - which is crap since everyone starts at 2000. :pac:

Still found it incredibly addictive though - especially once you get paired with some of equal ability, the long rallies get very tense. :D

Need to find a way to turn off the vibration though, nothing more annoying in a game for me than not being able to turn it off.

I reckon there'll be many improvements to the game in time - like full length matches.

Advertisement