Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are you playing, Nintendo edition.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

I was playing Mario Power Tennis on the GC at the weekend. Holds up well!

That's the thing with tennis (and golf) games. If the gameplay is solid, it won't age quite as fast as other genres. That Super Nintendo tennis game is ridiculously addictive. No bells and whistles on it either.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Mario Tennis on the Virtual Boy FTW!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

CiDeRmAn wrote: »

I started squinting immediately.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,399 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Pac1Man wrote: »
    That's the thing with tennis (and golf) games. If the gameplay is solid, it won't age quite as fast as other genres. That Super Nintendo tennis game is ridiculously addictive. No bells and whistles on it either.

Nintendo pretty much nailed Golf with the NES game and Tennis with super tennis and every game after hasn't deviated much from it.

Unlike Football where they nailed it with Sensible Soccer and have been making it less fun every year since :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Rhyme wrote: »

It's the sensation of balls coming straight at your face that's quite off putting....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

a384913d25ca992e1b7bcf1a4a9f7f62_400x400.jpeg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Rhyme wrote: »

It's the sensation of balls coming straight at your face that's quite off putting....

I thought Rhyme had said squirting! :eek::eek:

Need to book myself in with Specsavers again. :pac:

But yeah, Super Tennis was brilliant, Virtua Tennis also - that could do with a new version imo.

Andrew76 wrote: »
    I thought Rhyme had said squirting! :eek::eek:

Need to book myself in with Specsavers again. :pac:

But yeah, Super Tennis was brilliant, Virtua Tennis also - that could do with a new version imo.

Virtua Tennis, the one on the DC?
    Yeah, that was fantastic, and it's sequel.
    No reason for everything Naomi not to come to the Switch.
    From Crazy Taxi to Virtua Tennis, from Ferrari 355 to Super Monkey Ball.
    Come on Sega!

Come on Sega!

Yep the DC version, also have one on the 360 I think, pretty good too. Actually must check if it's BC on the One.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Took a break from Hollow Knight last night to play Aces. I've only killed the first boss in the tutorial/Adventure Mode so not really much use at the trick shots. So decided to play the Simple class mode in the online tournament - like yourself I more often than not came up against much better players and got soundly beaten, although some of that was down to me just not being familair with the character's they were using - Boo's slices are mental for example. My score is around 300 but my rating 1900+ - which is crap since everyone starts at 2000. :pac:

Still found it incredibly addictive though - especially once you get paired with some of equal ability, the long rallies get very tense. :D

Need to find a way to turn off the vibration though, nothing more annoying in a game for me than not being able to turn it off.

I reckon there'll be many improvements to the game in time - like full length matches.
    Did you try turning it off in the setting on the switch?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Come on Sega!

Crazy Taxi deserves a remaster!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

iamtony wrote: »
    Crazy Taxi deserves a remaster!

Wouldn't be the same without the licensed music. I know that's a popular complaint but honestly the best way to experience that game is on the Dreamcast & PS2 at the moment.

iamtony wrote: »
    Did you try turning it off in the setting on the switch?

Cheers that worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

Really enjoying playing Crash Bandicoot again. I'm a third of the way through the first game. Tough going but great platformer.
    My copy of Wolfenstein II arrives tomorrow. Busy week of gaming ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,263 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

I'm envisaging tremendous fun playing that drunk

manual_man wrote: »
    I'm envisaging tremendous fun playing that drunk

I've never tried it!
    *Note to self, test VB while drunk*

• Registered Users Posts: 18,137 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Wouldn't be the same without the licensed music. I know that's a popular complaint but honestly the best way to experience that game is on the Dreamcast & PS2 at the moment.

Dreamcast version The Offspring soundtrack is essential.

For the longest time I hated the Offspring soundtrack in Crazy Taxi.
    Over the years though I have moved on from this and now merely detest it!
    Yeah, Yeah, Yeah indeed....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

I both love and hate Hollow Knight simultaneously

its seriously hard at times, and all that back tracking/lack of save points before bosses can frustrate.....but that feeling when you beat one!!

10 hours in and think I have only played a quarter (if that) of the game

• Registered Users Posts: 18,137 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Quiet you. Go brew some hipster beer and play that virtual boy of yours :p

• Advertisement

Playing Crash Bandicoot N'Sane Trilogy on Switch (Excellent)
    And have also Tipped back into Zelda: BOTW (Up to 55 hours!!)
    Wolf 2 on the back-burner for when I'm travelling
    On Chapter 11 of Bayonetta on Switch

Finally finished the Switch version of Doom 2016 (Great port, especially after the mega-patch)

naughtb4 wrote: »
    I both love and hate Hollow Knight simultaneously

its seriously hard at times, and all that back tracking/lack of save points before bosses can frustrate.....but that feeling when you beat one!!

10 hours in and think I have only played a quarter (if that) of the game

Feel the exact same about it. Wonderful & annoying in equal measure.

Think I'm at some mini-boss in the city now and christ almighty he's quick. Of course when I died my corpse dude is on the wrong side of the screen so lost several hundred Geo again. It would help immensely if I had more notches to equip more charms - have a good few of them now but only 4 notches.

The boss dude isn't as hard as Hornet but I wasn't in the mood to spend ages on him last night so took a break. Went and played Mario Aces to relax, got hammered in online, so **** that and started up Golf Story! :pac:

If Kirby wasn't stupidly expensive I'd buy that to relax. :D

Feel the exact same about it. Wonderful & annoying in equal measure.

Think I'm at some mini-boss in the city now and christ almighty he's quick. Of course when I died my corpse dude is on the wrong side of the screen so lost several hundred Geo again. It would help immensely if I had more notches to equip more charms - have a good few of them now but only 4 notches.

The boss dude isn't as hard as Hornet but I wasn't in the mood to spend ages on him last night so took a break. Went and played Mario Aces to relax, got hammered in online, so **** that and started up Golf Story! :pac:

If Kirby wasn't stupidly expensive I'd buy that to relax. :D

Is this the Soul Warrior?

I have watched a few videos on the bosses to help identify patterns. It really is more about not getting hit then going in all guns blazing I found. Learn the patterns and best them that way.

The Longnail charm is great by the way (though it sounds stupid)

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Is this the Soul Warrior?

I have watched a few videos on the bosses to help identify patterns. It really is more about not getting hit then going in all guns blazing I found. Learn the patterns and best them that way.

The Longnail charm is great by the way (though it sounds stupid)

Yep that's him.

Compass, Steady Body and Longnail is usually what I roll with. That wall climb/jump ability is dead handy too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Also took me at least 10 tries to get past that Soul Warrior! On the subsequent main boss now, finding it equally tough but just before I quit last night I think I finally got the hang of it so fingers crossed will do him in after a handful of tries later :)

ionapaul wrote: »
    Also took me at least 10 tries to get past that Soul Warrior! On the subsequent main boss now, finding it equally tough but just before I quit last night I think I finally got the hang of it so fingers crossed will do him in after a handful of tries later :)

I found the boss comparatively easy and it only took me five or so tries.

When he does the clock move, it gives you loads of time to heal

The mantis lords on the other hand...... i was seating buckets after that fight :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Gyan84

I've taken a break from Hollow Knight as well. Got to the second Crystal Guardian and gave up.

I've been playing Stardew Valley the past couple of days and I like it. Trying to get into the habit of not doing everything at once and getting it the next year with no penalty is proving difficult though. The energy meter is a pain even though I know it has to be there to make tool upgrades and sprinklers worthwhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Anyone playing Ys VIII?

Watched a review earlier and bought it, now to settle in, play a few hours and add completing it to the backlog...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

Grassey wrote: »
    Anyone playing Ys VIII?

Watched a review earlier and bought it, now to settle in, play a few hours and add completing it to the backlog...

I brought it too have to give it a good go yet tho

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

Anyone else having any issues navigating menus in Wolfenstein II? Can't scroll up or down when the game loads originally and when in pause menu. Very frustrating.

Advertisement