Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are you playing, Nintendo edition.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

No bugs for me either and I'm about 15 hours in. Will get back to it soon but gave it to a mate of mine to try out a few weeks back who just bought a Switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,516 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Dead Cells is fantastic on Switch.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Mr E wrote: »
    Dead Cells is fantastic on Switch.

I was about to post some images of necrotic tissue, but after googling it I'm really not going to do so.

I was going to post a link to that google, but even that is actionable, so no...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

chrislad wrote: »
    I was fairly bug free though I definitely preferred the first one. I assume you got the latest patch?

Checked and yes I did. It was weird - the interface for Coonstagram didn't load when I went to take my first Selfie (and since I had never seen Coonstagram I didn't know there was a problem) so I was stuck posing with that old lady with no way to exit out of it or take the photo. Apparently it happens a lot. It's not a game-breaker in so far as you can just reset and go back to the last save point, but happening so early on in an unavoidable event that every single playtester would have had to get past was just a wee bit unsettling.

Not to worry. Anyway, haven't watched the show in over a decade, still as stupid and reproachable and hilarious as ever. Loving conquering every toilet in the neighbourhood and finding dodgy stuff in peoples drawers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

With Okami coming out tomorrow, I'm feverishly trying to clear out side-quests and such in Octopath Traveller so I can finish the game at my own pace and then move on to Okami.

All chapter 4's completed, all but 3 or 4 quests completed and turning my eye towards those last four jobs. Have one gotten already (
    Starseer
    ) and am digging around for the other three :)

Amazing game really but I'm not sure I'll see much replay value. It might be a 'pick up again once every two years' kind of game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

I'm playing Titan Quest and quite enjoying it. Would love to see Diablo on Switch !!

deadl0ck wrote: »
    I'm playing Titan Quest and quite enjoying it. Would love to see Diablo on Switch !!

Maybe...

Blizzard Says Multiple Diablo Projects Are In The Works (Diablo III Switch Is Probably One) [Kotaku]

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I heard Titan Quest was a bit buggy, and I have enough to be playing right now, but yeah, would love Diablo on the go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Been fine so far in single player, but apparently it crashes after about 20 mins or some in online mode

• Registered Users Posts: 18,137 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Zelda BOTW. God the weapons are flimsy. Enjoying the early stages though.

Get some Amiibos for the legacy weapons from Zelda series you can use Amiibos once a day with a chance of a treasure chest spawning which will contain a sword shield bow or clothing related to the specific figure or game that figure is from, total cash in by ninty and dear gods will you struggle to find some of the figures now but some of the weapons give a serious leg up in the beginning of the game, the nostalgic kick back is uber too. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Gyan84

Got to winter in my first year in stardew and decided to take a break to play some ds rpgs.

I really enjoyed Dragon Quest 4 and 5. Really cements that feeling of being on a journey by giving you ships and hot air balloons as you progress to reach new continents. 5 is also special because you start as a child and end up following your character into adulthood when they become a parent too which I thought was nice.

Then I played smt iv apocalypse. Felt the main story was too similar to smt iv for most of the game but still enjoyed it and can't wait for the next one on switch.

I'm playing my first pokemon game in Heart Gold now and it's pretty slow but I just beat the first gym so it'll probably pick up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

On and off with Retro City Rampage.

I already tried it on PS4 but I turned to the Switch version because it just seemed a better fit for the system. I've had it for a good while now.

Based on what I like in my games, I should love this. I love GTA, I love retro games and I love the humour. But the sheer 8-bit-ness of it all is the only thing deterring me from getting properly stuck into it. I had this problem with Megaman 1-6 and while I really enjoyed them, I found myself forcing my way through 5 and 6 because I was really getting sick of the aesthetic

Maybe it's aimed more to those who were brought up with the NES/Master System Era of games and I may just find it slightly before my time in terms of how it looks and sounds.

Am I the only one with this struggle?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

On and off with Retro City Rampage.

I already tried it on PS4 but I turned to the Switch version because it just seemed a better fit for the system. I've had it for a good while now.

Based on what I like in my games, I should love this. I love GTA, I love retro games and I love the humour. But the sheer 8-bit-ness of it all is the only thing deterring me from getting properly stuck into it. I had this problem with Megaman 1-6 and while I really enjoyed them, I found myself forcing my way through 5 and 6 because I was really getting sick of the aesthetic

Maybe it's aimed more to those who were brought up with the NES/Master System Era of games and I may just find it slightly before my time in terms of how it looks and sounds.

Am I the only one with this struggle?

Felt much the same, and I did grow up with the NES era. It was just difficult to see things sometimes.

The sequel looks an improvement though!

https://www.engadget.com/2015/11/25/shakedown-hawaii-retro-city-rampage-sequel/

chrislad wrote: »
    Felt much the same, and I did grow up with the NES era. It was just difficult to see things sometimes.

The sequel looks an improvement though!

https://www.engadget.com/2015/11/25/shakedown-hawaii-retro-city-rampage-sequel/

Yeah I'm very much looking forward to that one. 16-bit visuals definitely appeal to me more than 8-bit, with no ill will to the latter.

Finishing off Guns Gore and Cannoli in anticipation of the sequel which just got released. It seems they've fixed a lot of the issues from the first one, including being able to aim in any direction. Still a very enjoyable game though.
    Bouncing between that and Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze. Halfway through the 5th island. Tough as hell but good fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Picked up Manticore: Galaxy on Fire on sale for my gold points and €2 just because I was itching to play a space combat game. It's pretty basic so far but there's a bit of character to it and it looks pretty decent.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Picked up Manticore: Galaxy on Fire on sale for my gold points and €2 just because I was itching to play a space combat game. It's pretty basic so far but there's a bit of character to it and it looks pretty decent.

I have too many of this type of game already, and have memories of having a great time with Wing Commander III on my 3DO and iWar on the PC and never enjoying one since.
    I've a couple of this type on every device I own, including the PSVR, but they just don't grab like they did, way back when, in the mid 90s!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Corholio wrote:
    Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate demo available from tomorrow.

Before I try a 3rd class is it just me or does it feel very Meh.

Intro was great... Then started to play and after figuring out the controls was a bit disappointed that it seems so slow. Just plodding along, 1 button to attack. Spending more time spinning the camera around so as to land a hit.

Taking a break now to fire up Valkyria Chronicles demo

And out of nowhere I decided to play a random NES game, River City Ransom. Very much expected this to be a typical brawler like Double Dragon and the likes, but I was surprised to find it had an RPG element to it as well as the ability to wander the game's world to your liking. For a game made for a system as seemingly limited as the NES, I found it very impressive.

Just played a bit of Monster Hunter on Switch. Do you basically just keep hacking and slashing at the monster till it dies? Where is it's health bar? And is there a storyline in this game?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Just played a bit of Monster Hunter on Switch. Do you basically just keep hacking and slashing at the monster till it dies? Where is it's health bar? And is there a storyline in this game?

Story? No. Philosophy!
    it's the pursuit of the zenlike state where you are so intimately acquainted with your weapon that it goes from being a tool to a friend to a lover and finally an extension of yourself. Its learning your quarry's habits, it's fears, where it seeks comfort, where it feeds, how it attacks, and using all of the things that make it feel strong as weaknesses to bring it down. It's mastering weapon, technique and environment such that a once troublesome foe becomes a minor speed bump, an insurmountable task - routine, your death on a plate - a hat you wear when you want to look good with a bow.

Essentially yes, you keep hacking at a monster till it's dead, then use the bits to make better weapons, rinse and repeat.

*Uninstalls demo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

So I decided to get Prison Architect. Never played it before but I am delighted to find it's a twisted version if Sim City. Just finishing the story missions. The Electric Chair tutorial was unexpected but very good and there seems to be a little heart in there, not just a simulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,095 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

fixxxer wrote: »
    So I decided to get Prison Architect. Never played it before but I am delighted to find it's a twisted version if Sim City. Just finishing the story missions. The Electric Chair tutorial was unexpected but very good and there seems to be a little heart in there, not just a simulation.

Is there touch screen controls?

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭nairy hipples

fixxxer wrote: »

How does it run?
    I wanna buy it but not sure whether to buy it on Switch or Xbox. Does it stutter at all on Switch when there's more happening on screen?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

No touch screen controls, all controller based. It's very confusing until you get used to it.

No performance issues so far. The only issues I have so far is that the zooming isn't very smooth and playing mobile the screen can be a bit small to be able to see what's going on under all the menus and popups.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Cantstandsya

Just finished Celeste - great game.

Have Dead Cells next and still haven't touched Hollow Night

• Registered Users Posts: 28,095 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Just finished Celeste - great game.

Have Dead Cells next and still haven't touched Hollow Night

Hollow Knight got its new update today so even more content now :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Despite having a ridiculous back catalogue to get through at this stage, I find myself spending more time playing Picross S2 than anything else!

It's basically the exact same as the previous game in terms of style but it just very addictive.

I'd love a proper Nintendo-themed Picross on the Switch next time around though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,516 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Still haven't made a dent in the first one (I've done about 40 puzzles). :)

I think you have to be in a certain mood for it.

Advertisement