Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are you playing, Nintendo edition.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

took my own advice and got Hollow Knight with gold points after beating the superb Battle Chef Brigade. Have to say, I'm not feeling it. It's driving me mad, mainly because I'm ****e at it and can't get back to the surface with money to buy the compass :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Banjo wrote: »
    took my own advice and got Hollow Knight with gold points after beating the superb Battle Chef Brigade. Have to say, I'm not feeling it. It's driving me mad, mainly because I'm ****e at it and can't get back to the surface with money to buy the compass :D

Stick with it, it's worth it.

The first bit is a bit of a slog but the compass and a few other early charms make a bug difference

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

naughtb4 wrote:
    The first bit is a bit of a slog but the compass and a few other early charms make a bug difference

A bug difference... I see what you did there!

Grassey wrote: »
    A bug difference... I see what you did there!

I definitely meant that ...........

On a first go (lost island 1 boss fight) into the breach is great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,516 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

The Messenger is brilliant. I expected it to be harder, but it's very accessible (so far! - just beat second boss).

Very very funny too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

I'm in the same boat as you - I need to go back to it but I was finding it a bit of a slog - I didn't get the compass and now with Victor Vran and Into the Breach I've got distracted.....

deadl0ck wrote: »
    ... I've got distracted.....

Story of my life with the Switch. My game list is a wasteland of 'paused' games.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Mr E wrote: »
    Story of my life with the Switch. My game list is a wasteland of 'paused' games.

The amount of SNK games I've bought on Nostalgia and played once :-/

Picked up Dead Cells on Saturday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Nabbed Iconoclasts last week and beat it over lunch today in work. Grand game, weird story but engaging in its own way.

I went to such lengths to maintain my characters health all through the game before realising that putting the game in 'Relaxing Mode' makes you invincible. I could have beaten it in normal mode all along :)

Looking forward to Hyper Light Drifter and Bro Force* this week and reserved Mario party for the Switch this morning.

*only if they've fixed the bugs that still persist in the PC version.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,095 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I've moved on from Hollow Knight and started up Octopath Traveller. 14 hours in but really really enjoying it.

Jumping back and forth between South Park, Hollow Knight and Into the Breach but noticed an update pushing itself to Battle Chef Brigade the other night, and now there's an option to play a cook-off against a chef of your choice at various difficulty levels, specifying the key ingredient, number of judges etc etc. There's also a randomiser for that. And you can play as Ziggy now.

Also, if you like to dip into Rocket League from time to time when there's an event on, they have a new tiering system launching I think today, where you earn rewards (like you do in an event) for playing, and there's a "premium" level like in Fortnite or Paladins that you can buy into with keys to earn cars and paint jobs and whatnot. And it looks like this will run continuously as a series of back-to-back "seasons".

... Into the Breach ...

I was finding that game very tough and had to change difficulty to Easy. Enjoying it more now - I can still lose, but it feels fairer - there are less spawns per level. I was able to finish the first island with a good few objectives completed.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    I've moved on from Hollow Knight and started up Octopath Traveller. 14 hours in but really really enjoying it.

Is it good? I used to be a huge JRPG fan but burned out on them in recent years. Only really playing Persona ones now.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,095 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

fixxxer wrote: »
    Is it good? I used to be a huge JRPG fan but burned out on them in recent years. Only really playing Persona ones now.

I never played one before but it's very entertaining.

Character skills are good and varied, lots of enemies, lots of weapons and very distinct areas so far.

Picked up Into the Breach earlier this week and wanted to get into it before posting up about it... but I just finished it. Can't wait to get back into it though, each set of mechs make it a completely different game and the random missions are a great pull. The scaling between each island is punishing though, not afraid to dump a new player back to the main screen with a 'git gud n00b'.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭rejkin

Rhyme wrote: »
    Picked up Into the Breach earlier this week and wanted to get into it before posting up about it... but I just finished it. Can't wait to get back into it though, each set of mechs make it a completely different game and the random missions are a great pull. The scaling between each island is punishing though, not afraid to dump a new player back to the main screen with a 'git gud n00b'.
    That last line certainly applies to me. I've played it a fair amount and can barely get passed the first map lol

Anyone else playing Prison Architect having problems with the game crashing and freezing?

rejkin wrote: »
    That last line certainly applies to me. I've played it a fair amount and can barely get passed the first map lol

I was getting walloped until I started to play defensively and then, when I got a bit better, defensive/counter-attack. That got me all the way to the end and then it was back to defensive and then AAHHHH, run away!!

Each set of mechs offers very different gameplay potential as well. The first set I could survive well enough but couldn't do enough damage fast enough so attrition saw me off. The second set, the orange ones, opened up way more potential (I finished the game with them). Now I'm deciding the next set to unlock so I can get back in.

• Advertisement

Finally beat the first island on Normal with the default guys. One hairy moment where I thought I had the Boss bang to rights using a found weapon (the Walker mech could grab Veks and throw them over his head, I suplexed the bitch into a lake but she can swim, the cow!) that cost me a building but otherwise, triumphant.

Love this game. The atmosphere it creates, that palpable feeling of dread and despair when all the little voices cry out in hope and you know you have no plan and you can't save them and this timeline is going to go on the scrap heap with all the others you couldn't save... the complicated chains of knockbacks, the desperate sacrifices, the horror when you miscalculate and start losing civilians... Such a simple little game but so very, very good.

Finally beat the first island on Normal with the default guys. One hairy moment where I thought I had the Boss bang to rights using a found weapon (the Walker mech could grab Veks and throw them over his head, I suplexed the bitch into a lake but she can swim, the cow!) that cost me a building but otherwise, triumphant.

The big bad being able to swim caught me out as well, it does cancel their attack but not much else.

The second set of the mechs, the 'Rusting Hulks' I think have two mechs that can emit smoke that cancels an enemies attack. Adds another element to battles and effectively neutralises the big bad at the end of each island if used effectively.

Love this game. The atmosphere it creates, that palpable feeling of dread and despair when all the little voices cry out in hope and you know you have no plan and you can't save them and this timeline is going to go on the scrap heap with all the others you couldn't save... the complicated chains of knockbacks, the desperate sacrifices, the horror when you miscalculate and start losing civilians... Such a simple little game but so very, very good.

God damnit, now I have to go buy it. :D

God damnit, now I have to go buy it. :D

And I did.

It is a tough game, but only because it brutally punishes your mistakes. Great though, like a cross between chess, Pacific Rim and Edge of Tomorrow.

And I did.

It is a tough game, but only because it brutally punishes your mistakes. Great though, like a cross between chess, Pacific Rim and Edge of Tomorrow.

Do you need sound? Looking for something in front of the TV

Nope, but the music is great. Nice and ambient....

You can play with volume down/off though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭wheresmahbombs

Was playing Rayman Legends on the Switch yesterday. I managed to get all Teensies in every world, bar the Back to Origins ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

Was playing NBA 2K19 last night. Game seems pretty good. No glitches or performance issues which is usually the case for 2K games at launch. Pity about the massive download you have to do (28gb) despite buying physical cart. It's the first time I've had to delete games off my Switch to accommodate other games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

I know its an oldy for some but bought Splatoon 2 from the S Africa store during the sale and must admit I am really enjoying it, Havent really played the multiplayer yet and just focusing on the single player which is actually a really clever well put together platformer, surprised I didn't hear more about the single player before I bought it.

• Advertisement

Started South Park yesterday

Not loving it half as much of TSOT at the moment, the combat is a bit irritating

Advertisement