Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are you playing, Nintendo edition.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

peter4918 wrote: »
    Same as you, bought it to see what all the fuss was about and gave it a few hours. After putting 140 hours into BOTW, I just can’t get into Skyrim especially with all the other great games out on the switch lately.

That's apple and oranges though. Get off your horse. The horse in Skyrim is a constant reminder of how clunky that part of the game was. But if you get into a sword fight, the blocking is more nuanced, it really captures the chaos of not being able to track where all the baddies are, and your sword is still there at the end.

So pros and cons.

I'd play something completely different as a palate cleanser, then go back. Battle Chef Brigade is fast, short and nothing to do with Skyrim or Hyrule!

(I came to it on Switch first, for the record, but had Morrowind nostalgia to get me through the first bit. Now about 150 hours in if you count restarting after 60ish hours cause I wanted to change my name!)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Playing through the Capcom Beat 'em Up Collection. It's a really good collection and for €20, it's very good value. Love playing through King of Dragons and being able to play Battle Circuit again. Still to play Armored Warriors.

It's unfortunate that their other beat 'em ups might be complicated by copyright, the likes of Cadillac and Dinosaurs and Alien v Predator etc. They'd be great further additions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Corholio wrote: »
    Playing through the Capcom Beat 'em Up Collection. It's a really good collection and for €20, it's very good value. Love playing through King of Dragons and being able to play Battle Circuit again. Still to play Armored Warriors.

I grabbed that too, tis a load of fun reliving some old classics. Pity the netcode is so abysmal, if a 3rd player joins any game it freezes for several seconds and then slows down to a crawl constantly afterwards.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Playing a spot of the glorious Thunderforce IV on the Switch.
    I have it on the Megadrive, as well as the equally brilliant Thunderforce III.
    Hopefully that'll be coming to the Switch in due course.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Dark Souls network test is on this weekend. Getting a pasting as it's my first time playing DS1. Looks good in handheld but grainy as sand on television.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

TitianGerm wrote: »
    I think that's the one I could be thinking of then :confused:

There's one version that you have to fight to get to an item and then
    there's one version that you awake when you use the Dream sword thingy on his corpse later on. That's the tougher one.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,516 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Mr E wrote: »
    I've gone back to Hollow Knight. I'm at a boss called Broken Vessel which is giving me a lot of grief. I'd say I've tried him 20 times now, but I think I'm close.

In your face, Broken Vessel.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,095 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

chrislad wrote: »
    There's one version that you have to fight to get to an item and then
    there's one version that you awake when you use the Dream sword thingy on his corpse later on. That's the tougher one.

That's the one!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

Played a good bit of the story mode in NBA 2K19. Has the feel of a Netflix show. Loved the easter egg in the arcade scene. Really enjoying it so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Playing Dead Cells.
    I'm really bad at this game but can't help playing it!

I'm playing this as well. Really enjoying it. When I bought it I didn't know about the permadeath feature and was concerned when I found out about it. Expected to be frustrated and raging by it and surprisingly that isn't the case. I've only managed to get past the first Boss once and then got slaughtered 2 levels further on. Keep coming back for more though.

Anyone here played Hollow Knight or The Messenger? Two games I definitely want to purchase this week. Do we have to use the UK or EU store when buying digital Switch games? I'm not a fan of buying digitally but I think that's the only option there is for these two games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

I'm playing this as well. Really enjoying it. When I bought it I didn't know about the permadeath feature and was concerned when I found out about it. Expected to be frustrated and raging by it and surprisingly that isn't the case. I've only managed to get past the first Boss once and then got slaughtered 2 levels further on. Keep coming back for more though.

Anyone here played Hollow Knight or The Messenger? Two games I definitely want to purchase this week. Do we have to use the UK or EU store when buying digital Switch games? I'm not a fan of buying digitally but I think that's the only option there is for these two games.

Hollow Knight is fantastic but you need to give it a few hours

Hollow Knight is fab. Once you get the map and compass, or at least once you cop that you can recover your lost cash after dying.

Thanks. I'll definitely be picking up Hollow Knight tomorrow. Trying to decide whether to get on Switch or PS4. What Nintendo store do we use here? UK or EU?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Thanks. I'll definitely be picking up Hollow Knight tomorrow. Trying to decide whether to get on Switch or PS4. What Nintendo store do we use here? UK or EU?

It's perfect for switch. Play a bit on the go, get frustrated, put it down, come back later.

You can use any EU store depending on which has the best price (irl, UK, Norway, Russia, Switzerland, SA etc)

Best price for Hollow Knight is in South Africa at €9.41 (it's €14.99 here).

https://eshop-prices.com/games/932-hollow-knight?currency=EUR

(I know Mexico is a little cheaper, but you need some sort of witchcraft or ritual sacrifice to buy games from their eshop)

Thanks for that. Any downside to buying in South African store? The Messenger is only € 15 as well so might buy both tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭nedd

Thanks for that. Any downside to buying in South African store? The Messenger is only € 15 as well so might buy both tomorrow.

I have used the South African store to buy Zelda and my Annual Family Online Subscription. No issues so far.

Started Velocity 2X tonight. Enjoying it a lot. None of my 52 Switch friends have it though - my friends leaderboards are empty. :(

Between €8-€9 today only (in South Africa), jumps to €12 after today.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Mr E wrote: »
    Started Velocity 2X tonight. Enjoying it a lot. None of my 52 Switch friends have it though - my friends leaderboards are empty. :(

Between €8-€9 today only (in South Africa), jumps to €12 after today.

Damn you evil temptress

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Had a crash after a mammoth boss fight in South Park

Think I am done with the game, not a patch on the first one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Started playing Arena of Valor - I've not played a MOBA before; it's pretty good fun.
    I'm not very good at it as I tend to rush in, and I should be building up my character first, but I'll get there.....
    You can spend money if you want, but you'll get plenty out of it just going along with the freebies and slowly building up your in-game cash.
    Anybody else playing it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,090 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Just starting Project Zero 2 on Wii

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

On a mad whim I picked up Mario Tennis Aces last night. I have to say I'm really enjoying it. The tutorial is a whirlwind but once you get used to the buttons is a blast to play, especially multiplayer.

God damn it Soulmaster! Stay down!

I'm really enjoying Guacamelee again. I had it on the PC a few years ago but never finished it. I think I got near the end where you're combining all your moves in mind bending combinations to get past some platforming sections. I think I gave up. :p

It's great on Switch though - it's the perfect platform for it. I'll beat it this time (and get the sequel in December). I absolutely guarantee that G2 will feature in one of those game site news stories where it outsells all other platforms combined.... It reviewed well, but I think it got lost when it was originally released (maybe bad marketing or a bad release window against bigger games).

Does G2 coming as I (speculatively, by the end of the year) near the end of Hollow Knight mean I'll never truly enjoy Dead Cells?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭mario54324

Got Dark Souls earlier, pretty fun so far

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

mario54324 wrote: »
    Got Dark Souls earlier, pretty fun so far

Fun now
    Work later.
    And you are going to suffer.
    You might think I'm exaggerating.
    Nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 WithTheRanks

There's a demo for the Taiko drumming game up. The motion controls feel a little imprecise, but a lot of fun for tooling around with the demo at least

• Advertisement

Look, I know I was warned, but Jesus Christ, Dark Souls! What do you want from me? Give me a ****ing sign! Stop beating me up for no apparent reason.

Advertisement