Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are you playing, Nintendo edition.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Yeah, that's what I'm attempting to do. 2 hits doesn't quite do it with the axe, which I was reluctant to use since finding out that all weaponry is fleeting, but now I've found a spare **** it. Anyway, yeah, it's not the plan, it's the execution :D
    No idea what Pine Resin is and I don't think I have any - do I need to hit the crazy shop keeper up for that?

Out of interest, is there a big grinding component to this, i.e. get to a certain way through the level that you can easily clear and repeat, run back to the bonfire, reset and repeat until you can level up a bunch of stats?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,094 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Banjo wrote: »
    Yeah, that's what I'm attempting to do. 2 hits doesn't quite do it with the axe, which I was reluctant to use since finding out that all weaponry is fleeting, but now I've found a spare **** it. Anyway, yeah, it's not the plan, it's the execution :D
    No idea what Pine Resin is and I don't think I have any - do I need to hit the crazy shop keeper up for that?

Out of interest, is there a big grinding component to this, i.e. get to a certain way through the level that you can easily clear and repeat, run back to the bonfire, reset and repeat until you can level up a bunch of stats?

Are you two handing the weapon when you drop on his head?

The gold pine resin is in a chest after the bonfire in Undead Burg. Go towards the boss, up the small stairs where the guys are above you throwing fire bombs, there will be three guys in a small courtyard. Kill them and open the door behind them. The chest is in there.

You'll open up short cuts that take lots of enemies out of the way. You should get one shortly after the boss. I won't ruin the WTF moment :pac:

You'll die a good bit but once you get the fighting style down it gets much friendlier. You'll get plenty of souls along the way so probably no need to grind unless you want to boost a few stats every now and then.

Have you upgraded yourself yet? You might have a few Souls in your inventory you need to pop so you can spend them.

Nice toasty bonfire....
    OK, the old Zweiihander - that's what I needed to hear! So I trekked back to the tower, slaughtered the 2 guards, aggro'd the bull dude and ran up the tower. Twohanded dropping axe strike! OK he's mostly still alive, but tis no matter! I will slay the beast! Quick jog to the other end of the bridge and a pause for breath. Wait for the swing and dodge between his legs - Boom! Wait, why am I still in front of him? Damn that inconsistent ankle hit-box! Oh look down there. It's my battered corpse fighting a giant cow-man. But I'm far more interested in this beautiful li-

NO! Stay away from the light, Banjo! Back to the nice toasty bonfire. This is the one. This time it's going to happen. Ok, creep out, take out the first guy, just like you did all those 'practice' goes. Nice! Crossbow dude? Smash! Halfway across the bridge - oooh you've pulled 2 baddies instead of the usual one, but tis no matter! Slay them both! Slash! Stab! Done! Ok, just jog across that walkway and avoid the fire-bombs from above, take out the last guy - there he is! Target him! Wait, why is the camera suddenly swinging around to point at a guy on the roof that wasn't even in shot a second ago? And why are you suddenly jogging off the side of a building? There's a wall! Why isn't the wall stopping yooooooooooooouuuuuuuuuuuuu *splat*

Nice toasty bonfire. OK! This is it! This is the one!
    Actually you know what? This is the reason CEX exists. Just jog to your car, drive to Tallaght and this misery can end. Keys? Click! Start the engine - textbook! Watch that pothole! Nice! Park between those cars, just like we practiced. Ok, just cross at the zebra crossing - oh no, your foot landed 1 pixel wide of the black and white stripes! Where did that bus come from? Noooooo! *splat*

Nice...toasty...Bonfire...? Oh dear god no! NO! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Nice toasty bonfire....
    OK, the old Zweiihander - that's what I needed to hear! So I trekked back to the tower, slaughtered the 2 guards, aggro'd the bull dude and ran up the tower. Twohanded dropping axe strike! OK he's mostly still alive, but tis no matter! I will slay the beast! Quick jog to the other end of the bridge and a pause for breath. Wait for the swing and dodge between his legs - Boom! Wait, why am I still in front of him? Damn that inconsistent ankle hit-box! Oh look down there. It's my battered corpse fighting a giant cow-man. But I'm far more interested in this beautiful li-

NO! Stay away from the light, Banjo! Back to the nice toasty bonfire. This is the one. This time it's going to happen. Ok, creep out, take out the first guy, just like you did all those 'practice' goes. Nice! Crossbow dude? Smash! Halfway across the bridge - oooh you've pulled 2 baddies instead of the usual one, but tis no matter! Slay them both! Slash! Stab! Done! Ok, just jog across that walkway and avoid the fire-bombs from above, take out the last guy - there he is! Target him! Wait, why is the camera suddenly swinging around to point at a guy on the roof that wasn't even in shot a second ago? And why are you suddenly jogging off the side of a building? There's a wall! Why isn't the wall stopping yooooooooooooouuuuuuuuuuuuu *splat*

Nice toasty bonfire. OK! This is it! This is the one!
    Actually you know what? This is the reason CEX exists. Just jog to your car, drive to Tallaght and this misery can end. Keys? Click! Start the engine - textbook! Watch that pothole! Nice! Park between those cars, just like we practiced. Ok, just cross at the zebra crossing - oh no, your foot landed 1 pixel wide of the black and white stripes! Where did that bus come from? Noooooo! *splat*

Nice...toasty...Bonfire...? Oh dear god no! NO! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Are you using an Axe or the Zweihander sword? Just be careful you have the correct stats to use your weapon. Also make sure your not fat rolling because thats an easy path to death!!

When your rolling past the boss don't try to go through his legs, roll to the side of him just as he swings.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

~SELF INFLICTED MISERY~

Sounds like you're playing Dark Souls exactly right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

All I see are excuses.

You're going to seriously blow your load when you beat him though.

randy_copy3.jpg?itok=YsoCKrka

Oddly unsatisfying.
    Especially when I walked around a corner and was - I'm assuming this was the WTF moment - well anyway, that happened with no warning or opportunity to react and i went right back to that now ironically warm bonfire. I get it. Life is **** and death comes creeping out of every doorway. Big whoop. I'm in my forties, if I need reminding I just need to try sitting in a comfy chair without sighing involuntarily, or try to remember what a Bonanza tasted like. **** you dark souls, you're a game! Entertain me with a false sense of empowerment!

What's that, Diablo III? You want me to buy you right now and play the **** out of you? Oh you saucy minx!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Oddly unsatisfying.
    Especially when I walked around a corner and was - I'm assuming this was the WTF moment - well anyway, that happened with no warning or opportunity to react and i went right back to that now ironically warm bonfire. I get it. Life is **** and death comes creeping out of every doorway. Big whoop. I'm in my forties, if I need reminding I just need to try sitting in a comfy chair without sighing involuntarily, or try to remember what a Bonanza tasted like. **** you dark souls, you're a game! Entertain me with a false sense of empowerment!

What's that, Diablo III? You want me to buy you right now and play the **** out of you? Oh you saucy minx!

My 15 year old beat it a couple of years ago.
    His take on the demon halting your progress is a really steep learning curve in the pace and learning in the game.
    Once you topple it, the rest of the game will make a lot more sense.

The Hydra was the wall for me, I had to get Retr0gamer to finish him for me one evening, so frustrating was that beast!

But, keep going.
    It'll be a shame if you duck out so early.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

This was me exactly yesterday!

Me too. I caved and bought it and having been playing non-stop since. My Necromancer now has a skeleton horde and a gang of ghost mages that follow her everywhere :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

What's the learning curve like on Diablo 3? I have a long flight on Saturday and could be tempted to pick something up to distract myself with along the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,516 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

It's not steep at all. You just start with 2 buttons. Every time you level up, you get new powers (which are assigned to other buttons) so it's built up gradually.

Do you have a portable charger for the Switch? I will say that D3 is a battery guzzler so I guess it depends on how long your flight is!

I ran from 100% to 9% on battery last Saturday in about 2½-3 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Diablo 3 is nowhere near the stress monster that Dark Souls is - perhaps it's trickier on the higher difficulties, but start off on normal to get a feel for the game, and you'll be fine. I did a normal mode with Barbarian on the PS4 and didn't find it difficult. I started normal with a monk, but once I get used to it again, I may restart on a hard difficulty with someone a bit different.

Mr E wrote: »
    It's not steep at all. You just start with 2 buttons. Every time you level up, you get new powers (which are assigned to other buttons) so it's built up gradually.

Do you have a portable charger for the Switch? I will say that D3 is a battery guzzler so I guess it depends on how long your flight is!

I ran from 100% to 9% on battery last Saturday in about 2½-3 hours.

Yeah I have a fairly beefy 20000mAh power bank should have enough juice to recharge the Switch a few times. Hopefully will be able to recharge the powerbank from the seat if I'm lucky.

I presume it's ok to plug the Switch into one of these? I remember some concerns over third party docks previously but not sure about chargers.

keane2097 wrote: »
    Yeah I have a fairly beefy 20000mAh power bank should have enough juice to recharge the Switch a few times. Hopefully will be able to recharge the powerbank from the seat if I'm lucky.

I presume it's ok to plug the Switch into one of these? I remember some concerns over third party docks previously but not sure about chargers.

Do most long haul planes not have plugs now? Surely you could just leave the Switch plugged in as you play?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

God Damn it, Dark Souls! A week and another 30 or 40 slaughter-throughs later of that same ****ing stretch of that same ****ing 1st level and that ****ing bridge-dwelling bull-headed bastard is STILL kicking my arse. Nearly had him after repeatedly dropping on his head but now my sword has broken from RSI. And I know it's a case of "Git gud!" but the controls are backwards! BACKWARDS! There can be no state of Flow when as soon as you stop actively thinking "Dodge is where attack should be, dodge is where attack should be" you're dead. And don't get me started on the inconsistent hit-boxing that "governs" trying to roll under or past the bugger.

And there is no respite, for all my Geo are stuck in a boss room with a hyperactive spider demon that I just can't beat. I'm too proud to part with my Rancid Eggs. And would it have killed you to explain the whole polarity button thing Ikaruga? Would it? I bought you, you belong to me. Stop making me dance to your tune! And Cave Story! How is it you're so well regarded but you look like something I made on a 386 in the 90s with an RPG maker?

I'm too old to game, I think. My right thumb half-locked last night during a particularly difficult jump-dash-downslash-airjump manouevre. I've worn out my joints like a ****ty sword in bastard Dark Souls. This is the endo, my only Nintendo, the endo.... Roll on Animal Crossing.
    With my luck, the new one will be subtitled Crossing Souls, and it's going to be wall to wall tarantulas and bees.

Please dont give up :P Its really enjoyable to read about your frustrations :D

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Do most long haul planes not have plugs now? Surely you could just leave the Switch plugged in as you play?

I think you need over 5V/1A output to charge the Switch while it's running, which the plug on the plane may or may not output - I don't really know. The power bank definitely does so should be ok anyway.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Finally got around to Mario Odyssey. Almost finish. Amazing game straight through

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Picked up Stardew Valley the other day... dangerous game, very dangerous. Can't get my head around the fishing mini game so I'm going to focus on mining and farming for the time being.

It's also keeping me from buying Diablo 3 until it's a bit cheaper as I would sink my life into that game even half a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,263 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Finally got around to Mario Odyssey. Almost finish. Amazing game straight through

I enjoyed it, but wouldn't consider it amazing. Mario and Open Worlds still just doesn't sit right with me - i got way more enjoyment out of Mario Galaxy and its linear design.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

manual_man wrote: »
    I enjoyed it, but wouldn't consider it amazing. Mario and Open Worlds still just doesn't sit right with me - i got way more enjoyment out of Mario Galaxy and its linear design.

You are a mad mad man. I really like the fact Odyssey allows a lot of exploration. You can feel some genuine accomplishment for some of the stuff you need to pull off

• Registered Users Posts: 15,263 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

You are a mad mad man. I really like the fact Odyssey allows a lot of exploration. You can feel some genuine accomplishment for some of the stuff you need to pull off

Honestly i felt like there was far too much filler material in it. It became a drag and far too many of the moons were uninspiring and just "content for contents sake". It's just a personal gripe i feel that games in recent times have become obsessed with the amount of content, and the overall quality has suffered as a result. Still, Mario and Open Worlds just isn't quite a good fit for me. He shines in linear environments IMO

Mario Odyssey gave us Bowsette, so for that reason alone it deserves suspicon :D

Rhyme wrote: »
    Picked up Stardew Valley the other day... dangerous game, very dangerous. Can't get my head around the fishing mini game so I'm going to focus on mining and farming for the time being.

It's also keeping me from buying Diablo 3 until it's a bit cheaper as I would sink my life into that game even half a chance.

Is that the one where you have to tap the button to keep the fish inside the green line? Tapping repeatedly is the key if I remember correctly - if you hold the button it goes up too fast, and if you just tap it once the game is over before you know what you're supposed to do. You just need to find a good rhythm to keep it bouncing around in roughly the same area of the bar as the fish. It's different for different fish. It takes one or two goes to click and then you'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Is that the one where you have to tap the button to keep the fish inside the green line? Tapping repeatedly is the key if I remember correctly - if you hold the button it goes up too fast, and if you just tap it once the game is over before you know what you're supposed to do. You just need to find a good rhythm to keep it bouncing around in roughly the same area of the bar as the fish. It's different for different fish. It takes one or two goes to click and then you'll be grand.

I tried it a lot, I even ate the soup to make it easier with no luck. I'm sure I'll come back to it but, for the time being, I'm exploring mines on rainy days and doing everything else on sunny days. It'll be summer soon (in the game) :).

So, I've pissed on the bonfire and put it out for now. Diablo 3 is a different kettle of fish. It's a teapot full of otters, like, the two have so little in common other than a shared interest in how gritty and cool dead things are. And they have exactly the opposite problems.

I'm a few hours in. The controls are beautifully straightforward and intuitive, they are all very well explained during gameplay, the menu layout is jam packed with detail but never overwhelming, combat is fast and fluid and fun.

But I'm a few hours in on Hard difficulty.
    And I'm a level 30 (out of 70) Necromancer with a giant fleshy golem to beat up my enemies, a bottomless pit full of skeleton magicians to smite my foes and a mana pool that refills faster than I can drain it. I died once, because I forgot that those magician guys de-spawn after a few seconds, that I can put out more than one at a time, and besides it was long fight. And when I died that one time, I was able to run straight back to the fight and pick up where I left off. Have I made mistakes? Sure. But a tiny amount of resource management and pacing and I'm good as new, smiting fools with my demon-goat-summoning axe and red hot pokers up the jaxxie.

I barely have to move a finger and my problems disappear in a puff of blood and bone and connective tissue which I can then hurl at my other problems to turn them into corpses too. It's effortless.

Also, I may have made a terrible error, starting a new "season" character and jumping into a Rift after about 30 minutes of playing through the plot - the pace of leveling in a rift is insane, and the difference in frequency and quality of loot drops is like night and day, if days were razor sharp and came studded with jewels. I'm not sure I can go back and start over now that I'm a fairly powerful early-to-mid tier engine of destruction. Besides, if I did I'd be missing out on hitting seasonal bounty goals and whatever rewards they bring... Maybe next season...

But will there be a next season? I mean what's the point in playing if all you're doing is walking from one side of the screen to the other and every bugger you come across dies at the hand of your minions and then you make their corpse explode just because you can? It's nothing but carrot in that game, but sometimes you get a bit sick of crunching carrots.

And that ****ing knight on the cover of Dark Souls, I could swear he's laughing inside that tin can. "How's things Banjo?" he giggles, "Hows that empowering user-friendly gameplay working out for you, huh? You feeling strong, buddy?"
    Prick.
    Well I'm not going back.
    I'm not.

*sigh*

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

So, I've pissed on the bonfire and put it out for now. Diablo 3 is a different kettle of fish. It's a teapot full of otters, like, the two have so little in common other than a shared interest in how gritty and cool dead things are. And they have exactly the opposite problems.

I'm a few hours in. The controls are beautifully straightforward and intuitive, they are all very well explained during gameplay, the menu layout is jam packed with detail but never overwhelming, combat is fast and fluid and fun.

But I'm a few hours in on Hard difficulty.
    And I'm a level 30 (out of 70) Necromancer with a giant fleshy golem to beat up my enemies, a bottomless pit full of skeleton magicians to smite my foes and a mana pool that refills faster than I can drain it. I died once, because I forgot that those magician guys de-spawn after a few seconds, that I can put out more than one at a time, and besides it was long fight. And when I died that one time, I was able to run straight back to the fight and pick up where I left off. Have I made mistakes? Sure. But a tiny amount of resource management and pacing and I'm good as new, smiting fools with my demon-goat-summoning axe and red hot pokers up the jaxxie.

I barely have to move a finger and my problems disappear in a puff of blood and bone and connective tissue which I can then hurl at my other problems to turn them into corpses too. It's effortless.

Also, I may have made a terrible error, starting a new "season" character and jumping into a Rift after about 30 minutes of playing through the plot - the pace of leveling in a rift is insane, and the difference in frequency and quality of loot drops is like night and day, if days were razor sharp and came studded with jewels. I'm not sure I can go back and start over now that I'm a fairly powerful early-to-mid tier engine of destruction. Besides, if I did I'd be missing out on hitting seasonal bounty goals and whatever rewards they bring... Maybe next season...

But will there be a next season? I mean what's the point in playing if all you're doing is walking from one side of the screen to the other and every bugger you come across dies at the hand of your minions and then you make their corpse explode just because you can? It's nothing but carrot in that game, but sometimes you get a bit sick of crunching carrots.

And that ****ing knight on the cover of Dark Souls, I could swear he's laughing inside that tin can. "How's things Banjo?" he giggles, "Hows that empowering user-friendly gameplay working out for you, huh? You feeling strong, buddy?"
    Prick.
    Well I'm not going back.
    I'm not.

*sigh*

Why not up the difficulty ? - you can change it before you start into the game apparently - so just up and you'll continue from where you are at a harder difficulty

I'm level 20 necro and I'm about to do the same as I'm finding too easy so far

• Registered Users Posts: 55,516 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I'm playing on Expert and I've died a couple of times. I'm about level 30. You want a half decent challenge, it's no fun steamrolling through the game.

You can increase the difficulty mid-game too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Indeed. I think it's the closest game to Mario 64 which was fairly open for its time. I played it with my partner, alternating between mario and Cappy, and we had a ball. Some sections were absolutely epic.

Right now, myself and herself are playing Bayonetta. I'm playing mine on the PC and shh got 1 and 2 for the switch. I was surprised by how well it ran on the switch - it's full 60fps, looks great and I haven't noticed any frame-drops.

On the game itself, I'm blown away by the over-the-top everything in the game. It's a linear hack-and-slash game with excellent combat mechanics - the best I've seen in that genre. It's a bit on the difficult side until you stop button-mashing, learn some combos and improve your timing.

Everything feels over the top in a good way. Finishing fights feels really satisfying. I was a bit confused by the story but I think that's because I don't read the information in the collectable books. From what I can see in my partner's playthrough where she reads them, they tell you a lot and fill in a lot of blanks.

I'm still not going to read them though. I'll just move from fight to fight, strutting around like a model and getting naked as often as I can.

• Advertisement

deadl0ck wrote: »
    Why not up the difficulty ? - you can change it before you start into the game apparently - so just up and you'll continue from where you are at a harder difficulty

I'm level 20 necro and I'm about to do the same as I'm finding too easy so far

BECAUSE I'M SCARED!
    Happy???!

There's giant spiders fer ****s sake!

Might give it a go though after this rift. Do they ever end? Or is it worth bailing after you find the evil pixie with the bag full of jewels and wail on him for a while. I killed the Rift Boss about 3 floors ago and my bag of assorted crap is getting very full! (It's fun seeing the massive spike in quality as I've levelled up from about 5 to 30-ish on this trip)

It's such a stupid amount of fun though, send the golem charging into trouble, he collapses into a pile of corpses, you blow up the corpses, make trouble into corpses. You blow up those corpses, make more corpses.... etc etc.

Re: Bayonetta 2 - It's not you, it's the story. It makes no sense whatsoever. I think it's designed to numb your brain into the perfect semiconscious state for accepting all of the button combos and encoding them directly in the muscles of your hands. The less you try to understand it, the better.

Advertisement