Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are you playing, Nintendo edition.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

redlead wrote: »
    Has anyone picked up Crash Bandicoot? I see it's on sale on the eshop. I never actually played the originals on PS.

I got it and to be honest wish I hadn't.

I find the controls extremely irritating

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭conormario

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Donkey Kong is both brilliant and infuriating, not sure if I love it or hate it!!!

On the 5th World, boss battles are really tough

Same here. Gave up on this, but gave it another go over Christmas and got past the 4th world. I found it easier to swim with the analogue controller instead of the d pad ( Wii u pro controller). Also, online guides really help when you have limited game time in your life (tips to defeat bosses, secret levels, ...)

It is a beautifully polished and designed game.

conormario wrote: »
    Donkey Kong is both brilliant and infuriating, not sure if I love it or hate it!!!

On the 5th World, boss battles are really tough

Same here. Gave up on this, but gave it another go over Christmas and got past the 4th world. I found it easier to swim with the analogue controller instead of the d pad ( Wii u pro controller). Also, online guides really help when you have limited game time in your life (tips to defeat bosses, secret levels, ...)

It is a beautifully polished and designed game.
    Beat it this morning, a difficult game.

Liked it more towards the end but can't say I will be going back for the hidden worlds etc.

Hated the Rhino levels, controls felt very SNES

Liked it more towards the end but can't say I will be going back for the hidden worlds etc.

On the 6th world. Managed to get past the polar bear boss in one sitting. Yep, the rhino and barrell riding levels are a bit archiac. I really recommend Rayman legends if you want an amazing modern platforming experience and with a more even difficulty. It's 20 quid in Smyth's right now. (Also demo on eshop)

On the 6th world. Managed to get past the polar bear boss in one sitting. Yep, the rhino and barrell riding levels are a bit archiac. I really recommend Rayman legends if you want an amazing modern platforming experience and with a more even difficulty. It's 20 quid in Smyth's right now. (Also demo on eshop)

Bought it in the eshop sale, looking forward to it but after Shantae and DKTF taking a break from the 2D platformers.

Started Into the Breach today, interesting game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

Brought my Switch to a mates house on the other side of the country. Played 4 player Smash a lot. The best craic I've had playing a multiplayer game in years.
    This game has definitely crept into my top 10 favourite games.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

giving Bomber Crew a go. It's a very charming little game - kind of like FTL meets Cannon Fodder, where you fight Jerry by equipping and upgrading your plane, managing your crew placement and jobs, and repairing damaged systems to keep you in the air. It's still early days and I can see how it might get a little repetitive but 5 missions or so in and I'm hooked. There have been some hairy moments - my intrepid engineer clinging for dear life to the wing while the Flak Magnet climbed beyond the reach of the enemy fighters, an accidental button press that saw my navigator bail out over london, and a 4-engine fire on the return from a disastrous premature bombardment that was probably a school outside of Paris - but for the most part the crew have kept it together. Except for the one gunner who died when my hydraulics failed seconds before landing turning a heroic return from a daring and highly damaging raid into a disastrous belly-flop on the runway. Still a bit upset to be honest, as I thought I'd pulled it off.

If it's still on special and you fancy something a little different, or the same but cuter if you're still playing the fantastic FTL, it's worth a look in.

Field Sergeant Valerie Thompson - you died so that others might use your head as an airbag, and for that we salute you.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'd only play if one of them looked like Harry Connick Jr and sang a smashing version of Danny Boy....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

You can edit their appearance and name them, as well as customize the paint job on the plane with 64x64 images so you can fly the 'Belle if you want....

• Registered Users Posts: 55,516 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Taking a break from Monster World (the volcano level is pretty hard). I'll go back to it later.

Got Sundered from the Russian eshop (€5.50 there vs. €19.99 here) and it's great. You have to die to upgrade (on a massive skill tree) so you're always making progress. The game isn't stupidly hard either (I've played twice and the games were over 30 minutes each).

You can unlock shortcuts too. A solid 8/10 game and another great Metroidvania for the collection. :o

Freaking gorgeous too, by the way...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Banjo wrote: »
    giving Bomber Crew a go. It's a very charming little game - kind of like FTL meets Cannon Fodder, where you fight Jerry by equipping and upgrading your plane, managing your crew placement and jobs, and repairing damaged systems to keep you in the air. It's still early days and I can see how it might get a little repetitive but 5 missions or so in and I'm hooked. There have been some hairy moments - my intrepid engineer clinging for dear life to the wing while the Flak Magnet climbed beyond the reach of the enemy fighters, an accidental button press that saw my navigator bail out over london, and a 4-engine fire on the return from a disastrous premature bombardment that was probably a school outside of Paris - but for the most part the crew have kept it together. Except for the one gunner who died when my hydraulics failed seconds before landing turning a heroic return from a daring and highly damaging raid into a disastrous belly-flop on the runway. Still a bit upset to be honest, as I thought I'd pulled it off.

If it's still on special and you fancy something a little different, or the same but cuter if you're still playing the fantastic FTL, it's worth a look in.

Field Sergeant Valerie Thompson - you died so that others might use your head as an airbag, and for that we salute you.

Giving this a go also. 5 missions in and only three of my original crew alive :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Mr E wrote:
    Got Sundered from the Russian eshop (€5.50 there vs. €19.99 here) and it's great. You have to die to upgrade (on a massive skill tree) so you're always making progress. The game isn't stupidly hard either (I've played twice and the games were over 30 minutes each)

You can unlock shortcuts too. A solid 8/10 game and another great Metroidvania for the collection.

Freaking gorgeous too, by the way...

Picked it up on these comments. Great do far!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,094 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Grabbed Into the Breach for €4.15 from the SA store this morning. Looking forward to giving it a go later.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭eggy81

Monster boy is brilliant fun. Can't stop playing since I got it yesterday. Lovely little game.

eggy81 wrote: »
    Monster boy is brilliant fun. Can't stop playing since I got it yesterday. Lovely little game.

Think I'll get this when it drops in price and/or physical version. Don't have much time to play games, so I need to choose wisely!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Octopath Traveler. It's a good game but storywise I'm completely lost. I'm also not a fan of playing each character's prologue, especially since some of them drag on for ages, and they really halt the momentum of the game like Let's go come on get a move on! but other than that it's really enjoyable, even if it is a bit too easy at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭Cotts72

Think I'll get this when it drops in price and/or physical version. Don't have much time to play games, so I need to choose wisely!

Agreed, gonna be keeping an eye out for price drops

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Especially for anyone that enjoyed Wonderboy in Monster Land / Wonderboy and The Dragon's Trap

Fantastically made, with obvious love and respect for the old games, adapting to more modern gameplay mechanics, yet retaining the feel of the old games. Superb stuff, and having our own Banjo Guy Ollie in the game with his music and a 'animalised' version of him too is just great!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Katamari Damacy Reroll arrived today, got it from PlayAsia, haven't started it yet
    DwVETgoXgAErc2s?format=jpg&name=medium

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Currently playing through Super Mario World on the SNES mini :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭skerry

Octopath Traveler. It's a good game but storywise I'm completely lost. I'm also not a fan of playing each character's prologue, especially since some of them drag on for ages, and they really halt the momentum of the game like Let's go come on get a move on! but other than that it's really enjoyable, even if it is a bit too easy at times.

It's definitely a unique take on story telling in a game. It's a great game though. I've about 50 hours put into it over the Christmas, there's a lot of content.

Definitely find myself more invested in some characters stories than others. Tressa for example I could not care less about story wise. I've still done her missions and have all characters on their final chapter now but some of the stories are less interesting than others.

The combat does get harder later on and boss battles can go on for a while, in a good way. Its perfect for the Switch too as there are loads of save points and can leave it down at any time and get back to it. Graphics and sound are amazing too. It didn't make a huge impression on me in the demo but I'm loving it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

skerry wrote: »
    It's definitely a unique take on story telling in a game. It's a great game though. I've about 50 hours put into it over the Christmas, there's a lot of content.

Definitely find myself more invested in some characters stories than others. Tressa for example I could not care less about story wise. I've still done her missions and have all characters on their final chapter now but some of the stories are less interesting than others.

The combat does get harder later on and boss battles can go on for a while, in a good way. Its perfect for the Switch too as there are loads of save points and can leave it down at any time and get back to it. Graphics and sound are amazing too. It didn't make a huge impression on me in the demo but I'm loving it now.

I agree with everything you said.

I accidentally made my way into a Level 14 area and I got myself into a fight that I spent 20 minutes in the passenger seat trying to do, when I got home I had to put the Switch to sleep, when I turn it back on I still have to finish that battle. I'm surprised my characters are still alive.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's definitely a unique take on story telling in a game.

It's not unique. It's really badly paced. I find the story sections really drag the game down and just aren't all that interesting.

It's a pity as the game could have been so much better with a bit of editing. The prologues are the worst offender but at least the game picks up pace once you slog through one.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It's not unique. It's really badly paced. I find the story sections really drag the game down and just aren't all that interesting.

It's a pity as the game could have been so much better with a bit of editing. The prologues are the worst offender but at least the game picks up pace once you slog through one.

Let me rephrase...its a unique take as far as my experience goes with JRPGs. What other games use this approach?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Let me rephrase...its a unique take as far as my experience goes with JRPGs. What other games use this approach?

Final Fantasy 6 at a push. Suikoden 3 for definite. Saga Frontier as well. Few others I can't think of off the top of my head.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Final Fantasy 6 at a push. Suikoden 3 for definite. Saga Frontier as well. Few others I can't think of off the top of my head.

Relatively unique so ;)

Would those games have kept their characters stories as distinctly separate as Octopath?

I'm at final chapters now in it gonna be sad to see the end of it. Glad I took the chance on it in the sale.

JRPGs weren't my thing when FF was in its heyday so I'm guessing I missed out on some classics there

It's doing crazy well on Switch. I think it would sell more if it was €30, though. A lot of people think €40 is too much. :o

Monster Boy sales ratio on Switch is 8:1 vs. everything else

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭eggy81

Mr E wrote: »
    It's doing crazy well on Switch. I think it would sell more if it was €30, though. A lot of people think €40 is too much. :o

Monster Boy sales ratio on Switch is 8:1 vs. everything else

It would surely sell much better at 30 but I don't feel like it hasn't been worth 40 because it's top quality. After 5 minutes playing it the price is forgotten. Well worth it imo.

Oh I totally agree. I'm at the
    haunted house
    and I can see myself 100%-ing this game. Love it.

• Advertisement

Relatively unique so ;)

Would those games have kept their characters stories as distinctly separate as Octopath?

I'm at final chapters now in it gonna be sad to see the end of it. Glad I took the chance on it in the sale.

JRPGs weren't my thing when FF was in its heyday so I'm guessing I missed out on some classics there

Saga Frontier and Suikoden 3 would. Live a Live is another.

Octopath isn't bad. Just wish it was better. It's B-tier SNES RPG rather than up with the best.

Advertisement