Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are you playing, Nintendo edition.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Been putting a lot of time into Sundered since it was recommended here. Finally got the last ablity, but man it's getting tough with some of the swarms now!

Now to resist or corrupt..... ohh choices

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Diablo III has it's claws back in me. I've played through it on PC, Xbox One and yet I'm still utterly engrossed. It's the perfect game to play while doing something else, like watching TV or listening to a podcast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭conormario

Woo hoo. DK Tropical Freeze, WiiU. Final boss beaten.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

Played and completed donut county in about 2 hours. Nice little game.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,516 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I got Hollow Knight for my 12 year old nephew on Saturday. By the end of yesterday, he had gotten to Hornet (with only a small bit of help from me). It's his new favourite Switch game. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭skerry

Diablo III has it's claws back in me. I've played through it on PC, Xbox One and yet I'm still utterly engrossed. It's the perfect game to play while doing something else, like watching TV or listening to a podcast.

Got this with my Switch and haven't played it in a while. I'm on act 2 of campaign and level 30 at the moment. I keep hearing how addictive it is. Maybe I'm playing the wrong modes or something by just sticking to campaign but I don't find myself glued to it.

Like you said, its good mindless play. I don't find the combat challenging at all though. I'm playing on hard mode and I honestly can't remember a situation in the game where I was close to getting killed.

Any suggestions on other game modes I could try or am I right to keep concentrating on the campaign and finish that off first?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

If you play on Hard, you progress fast and tend not to get killed, unless Ace Attorney's Nemesis comes through a portal. That yoke drives me nuts.
    If you want a challenge, up the difficulty by at least 2 levels.
    If you want to hit your season goals, do it on hard first to get yourself to 70, then up the difficulty. Hard lets you plough through whole screens of baddies reeeeally fast.

I played Solo. As a result there's no impetus to move forward, there's no peer group to keep on loot-parity with, and it's easier to fall out of playing. Playing Seasons helps a little since any of the top end gear is time-limited, but if you don't climb to 70 fast it's easy to see it as unachievable and move on.

So - up the difficulty, play online with chums, and start grinding those unique loot pieces!

I'll play online tonight if anyone is around. Maybe 9-ish?
    I think I'm somewhere between level 25-30 (near the end of act 2).

Banjo wrote: »
    If you play on Hard, you progress fast and tend not to get killed, unless Ace Attorney's Nemesis comes through a portal. That yoke drives me nuts.
    If you want to hit your season goals, do it on hard first to get yourself to 70, then up the difficulty. Hard lets you plough through whole screens of baddies reeeeally fast.

I played Solo. As a result there's no impetus to move forward, there's no peer group to keep on loot-parity with, and it's easier to fall out of playing. Playing Seasons helps a little since any of the top end gear is time-limited, but if you don't climb to 70 fast it's easy to see it as unachievable and move on.

So - up the difficulty, play online with chums, and start grinding those unique loot pieces!

Cheers Banjo, I'll look into that so as soon as I drag myself away from Zelda. So should I continue on and finish campaign solo or should I start a seasonal character straight away and concentrate on that when I pick it up again?

Also, what is Ace Attorney's Nemesis :)

skerry wrote: »

http://diablo.wikia.com/wiki/Nemesis_Kills :)

• Advertisement

Mr E wrote: »

Sounds...aaahhm ...interesting. Think no mates might be the way to go :D

Must post my friend code in the thread this evening when I get home, keep forgetting.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Finished up with Smash Bros there a while back, played it to death and now seriously thinking about selling it on. Just need to find the next thing I want to buy and see about a trade-in.

Otherwise, having a great time with New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe, I've not played the last few iterations of this so I'm probably the perfect audience and the Toadette and Nabber characters are perfect for if I get annoyed with a level.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,794 ✭✭✭sweetie

Rhyme wrote: »
    Finished up with Smash Bros there a while back, played it to death and now seriously thinking about selling it on. Just need to find the next thing I want to buy and see about a trade-in.

Otherwise, having a great time with New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe, I've not played the last few iterations of this so I'm probably the perfect audience and the Toadette and Nabber characters are perfect for if I get annoyed with a level.

Toads Treasure tracker game is a very enjoyable and relaxed experience

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

sweetie wrote: »
    Toads Treasure tracker game is a very enjoyable and relaxed experience

I've been looking at that alright. I'll look up a few reviews before I take the plunge. The demo was great so it might fit the bill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

Banjo wrote: »

Haven't played in a while tho banjo, you are safe, might pick it up and hope a few more go through :3

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

skerry wrote: »
    Cheers Banjo, I'll look into that so as soon as I drag myself away from Zelda. So should I continue on and finish campaign solo or should I start a seasonal character straight away and concentrate on that when I pick it up again?

You can play the campaign in Season mode, but you have to start from 0. You may already be doing it. If so, I would play the campaign through to the end so you know what it's all about, then concentrate on running rifts at as high a level as you can, while also taking in bounties at the different difficulty levels to get the big fat loot chests. At the end of the season your season character(s) go into your regular roster and you start a new set for the new season.

Worth noting - For any new season, if you play the regular adventure up to the end of Act 1 you get the crown that amplifies gem powers, so you stick the biggest XP gem (Ruby?) into it that you can find grind to 70 as fast as possible. And if you want to start a new character, you shove it in the chest for them to find, having upgraded the gem in it to hilariously powerful end-game levels.

The first time you hear the drums and all the minions run like ****, then the portal to the kick-your-ass dimension opens it's terrifying. After a while though it can become easy, as long as you're doing better than them! I don't have an online sub, I just connect to the network for the shop and such. Still it pulled a nemesis from my friends list, and it's ALWAYS his!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Played Firewatch today. Enjoyed it for the most part!

Mario kart 8dx with my daughter. It's a fantastic game.

Best getting a good controller for these. A single joycon is ok but detracts from the experience.

Btw , karts are on automatic steering, beginner mode etc by default. You can turn these features off by pressing - on the kart select screen. It's not obvious at all.

Still trying to get in to Hollow Knight...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭nedd

petes wrote: »
    Played Firewatch today. Enjoyed it for the most part!

I think I am coming to the end of this. Really enjoyed it, nothing amazing happens in the game but still a really nice play. Story well told and enthralling.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I find those games, including Everyone's Gone to the Rapture, are the equivalent of radio plays, as you are carried along or led through the story.
    Others seem to come to them with "Where's the gameplay?" and I think they've missed the point.
    I mean, it isn't like the developers and reviews aren't pretty explicit about the nature of the experience on offer.

Firewatch was tremendous, I suppose I would have enjoyed more time to explore the forest and it's features, with stupid little fetch quests. That would have extended the experience but perhaps diluted the story-telling.
    If you want GTAV or RDRII then buy them, but Firewatch and EGTTR are not trying to be those things, though they are all telling a tale.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I played Firewatch recently and while I enjoyed it
    I'm not sure how I felt about the story changing from conspiracy to what it was. I know it was always just the one story but felt kind of like a cop out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I played Firewatch recently and while I enjoyed it
    I'm not sure how I felt about the story changing from conspiracy to what it was. I know it was always just the one story but felt kind of like a cop out.

I get that, it seemed a little jarring at the time.
    I think what it became felt like what it was really all along, while that
    fantastical element
    was bolted on a little, as if the audience couldn't be trusted to go along for the ride unless it had that
    sci-fi conspiracy vibe.
    Surely,
    the story line as it was about the missing father and son, along with the backgrounds to the characters was enough?
    It was enough for me at least.

I loved the colour palette of the game, especially as it changed along the duration of the story, nice use of texture and sound as well.

If people are willing to wait, it'll probably get cheaper as time goes on, so I'd get it then.
    It really is a one playthrough kinda title.

Edit: According to the Wiki page the other versions has a free roam mode....
    I wonder does the Switch version share this, would be worth another buy if it does!

Switch version has it under special features from the main menu, probably only available after a playthrough.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

I played it on PC and the free roam unlocked after completion.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I get that, it seemed a little jarring at the time.
    I think what it became felt like what it was really all along, while that
    fantastical element
    was bolted on a little, as if the audience couldn't be trusted to go along for the ride unless it had that
    sci-fi conspiracy vibe.
    Surely,
    the story line as it was about the missing father and son, along with the backgrounds to the characters was enough?
    It was enough for me at least.
    Oh yeah, no problem with the story that happened. Was just unexpected

petes wrote: »
    Switch version has it under special features from the main menu, probably only available after a playthrough.

Excellent.
    I'll assume that my copy of Firewatch for the PS4 already has this updated into it, but I will probably buy and play it through again.

Finished main campaign of Zelda over the weekend and figured I'd take a break. Spent 3 hours on it last night, so much for that idea :D

Actually think I'm enjoying it even more now that I have the campaign out of the way and I can just wonder around looking for secrets and shrines. Been playing a decent bit of Diablo last couple of days but Zelda is just the perfect game to compliment the madness of a game like D3.

Mario kart 8 dx ...

Do a customized race ... Hard cpu ... No items ....

It's just uninterrupted fantastic racing ... get your f zero fix on those levels

Then do a long highlight reel with music only , no sound FX ... Sublime

And turn up the volume or wear headphones

It's just faultless at 60 FPS. Try shy guy falls . Music is incredible.

This is why Nintendo aren't doing other racers. They are putting all their energy and design into the racer that returns $$$ to them and that everyone has heard of

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,629 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

conormario wrote: »
    Mario kart 8 dx ...

Do a customized race ... Hard cpu ... No items ....

It's just uninterrupted fantastic racing ... get your f zero fix on those levels

Then do a long highlight reel with music only , no sound FX ... Sublime

And turn up the volume or wear headphones

It's just faultless at 60 FPS. Try shy guy falls . Music is incredible.

This is why Nintendo aren't doing other racers. They are putting all their energy and design into the racer that returns $$$ to them and that everyone has heard of

Sitting here, still STILL trying to get 3 stars on all 200cc races.

How can I possibly still not be that good at this?

Advertisement