Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are you playing, Nintendo edition.

Options

Comments

Enjoying Onimusha again on Switch. Looks and plays great in undocked mode. Stuck on a puzzle puzzle part. Have to dip back into it.

Also recently finished re-runs of RE1,2&3 on the Cube in prep for the Remake of 2 which I'm now trying to find time to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

No Switch for me so far this weekend, been playing RE 2.

Contemplating getting Zelda again though, had so much fun with it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭conormario

petes wrote: »
    No Switch for me so far this weekend, been playing RE 2.

Contemplating getting Zelda again though, had so much fun with it!

I don't think I'll ever sell BOTW. Still todo: 30 shrines , side quests , get good at combat , dlc , never mind all the korak seeds , ... Pity I need to pay for cloud saves to back that up. Hopefully cloud offering gets better soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,516 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

conormario wrote: »
    Hopefully cloud offering gets better soon.

The games get saved in the cloud and it works well. What more do you want? Nintendo to finish them for you? :)

Mr E wrote: »
    The games get saved in the cloud and it works well. What more do you want? Nintendo to finish them for you? :)

I'd need to get the family plan, and I'm not sure it's worth it yet for a backup game save option. Plus there are games you just can't backup like let's go x. I'll probably cave in soon, but screw Nintendo for this. It's blackmail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭skerry

Had Xenoblade Chronicles 2 delivered from Amazon Friday evening and have around 20 hours put into it over the weekend. Really enjoying it. Was playing it up to 11 last night and could have easily sat up another few hours on it only for stupid work :)

Beautiful open world with some annoyances but the good far outweighs the bad. Their insistence on having creatures wayyyy above your level in starting areas can be a pain. Their avoidable for the most part but every now and then one of them will decide to rock up to a fight and ruin your day. I was salvaging when I was around level 10 and was just opening a chest and a creature a couple of hundred levels above me appears and that was the end of that.

Also, for the life of me I can't find a way to reload at your last save point when you die. It seems to spawn you at last travel point with all enemies respawned in the area. Basically I'm having to close out of the game and restart it to get back to the last save point. If anyone knows of an easier way to do this I'd love to hear it but from googling I couldn't find one, seems like a massive oversight to me.

I'm level 20 now and battle system is only starting to come together. I think its because you need higher level enemies for the fight to go on long enough to make use of Blade and Driver combos. Japanese audio track all the way too.

Really enjoying it though other than a few points above and can see me sinking a lot of time into this one. My poor Xbox and PS4 haven't had a look in since I got my Switch in November.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Fawk Nin

Just finished my first campaign in Civ 6. My first Civ game and absolutely loved it.
    Took about 35 hours so I'm checking out other games before going back to that.

Playing Smash quite regularly (mix between WoL and CLassic mode).

Just started playing Okami HD, only about an hour in.
    Gorgeous game so far. A bit slow to start though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Traded in Smash Bros and Mario Bros for cash and got Diablo 3, getting stuck into it now and it's fantastic. Spent a good chunk of my teens playing Diablo 1 and 2 so booting this up earlier this evening just... made sense :)

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Xofpod

Got Sundered after a few recommendations. I'm afraid the quality of Hollow Knight may have ruined metroidvanias for me now though....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Xofpod wrote: »
    Got Sundered after a few recommendations. I'm afraid the quality of Hollow Knight may have ruined metroidvanias for me now though....

Nah, Sundered just isn't any fun. Pity as it looks gorgeous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭_Godot_

Beat Etrian Odyssey 3, will probably play the postgame at some point. And instead of buying Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold in the sale, I've started playing EO5.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Bought Defense Grid 2 there yesterday. First game I've binged in a while.

I'm a big fan of Tower Defence games and the Switch has been sorely lacking so I'm glad there's a proper TD game there now.

It's only out so there's not many people playing it so it's fun to see meself in the top 10 globally on all the leader boards! I was first on one of them until a few hours ago!! #BestInTheWorld

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

War groove, a lot of fun but I had to turn down the difficulty as it I was finding it difficult and it was only the third or forth mission.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

The_B_Man wrote: »
    Bought Defense Grid 2 there yesterday. First game I've binged in a while.

I'm a big fan of Tower Defence games and the Switch has been sorely lacking so I'm glad there's a proper TD game there now.

It's only out so there's not many people playing it so it's fun to see meself in the top 10 globally on all the leader boards! I was first on one of them until a few hours ago!! #BestInTheWorld

First one was great, remember many a late night binge. Might loo into picking this up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

Picked up V Rally 4 recently. Its 30% off on the eshop and i had a few gold coins to make it cheaper. So far really enjoying it. Loved the Colin McRae games so this is right up my street.
    The pop in of shadows is a small annoyance. It looks great besides and plays well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Picked up V Rally 4 recently. Its 30% off on the eshop and i had a few gold coins to make it cheaper. So far really enjoying it. Loved the Colin McRae games so this is right up my street.
    The pop in of shadows is a small annoyance. It looks great besides and plays well.

It doesn't suffer due to the lack of analogue triggers?
    Excellent!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    It doesn't suffer due to the lack of analogue triggers?
    Excellent!

Not that I've found. I was never one for gently pressing the trigger for acceleration. Rally games are very much twitchy acceleration anyways.
    It looks great, handles well and has a good campaign by the looks of it. For €28 I'm happy with it.

Kirby's epic yarn: Wii -> Wii u -> hdmi -> monitor looks amazing for a Wii game / amazing full stop. Beautiful animation. Super smooth. Gorgeous textures. Pure video game experience. It's super cute. It's a kids book come to life. A game to totally chill out to. I think only the Japanese video game industry could produce this.

Anyway, main game complete, 54% done in 5 1/2 hours. No challenge at all, just an experience!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,575 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Finished the Main Story on Super Mario Odyssey and all I can say is WOW, what a game :D

Going around collecting moons etc now so should get a few more days out of it. Then I will have to buy something else to play.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

conormario wrote: »
    Kirby's epic yarn: Wii -> Wii u -> hdmi -> monitor looks amazing for a Wii game / amazing full stop. Beautiful animation. Super smooth. Gorgeous textures. Pure video game experience. It's super cute. It's a kids book come to life. A game to totally chill out to. I think only the Japanese video game industry could produce this.

Anyway, main game complete, 54% done in 5 1/2 hours. No challenge at all, just an experience!

It was the same with the other two Kirby games on the 3DS, they were very easy but so much fun to play and even just to look at.
    I hope beyond hope that there will be a new Kirby Fun Pak for the Switch, with the DS/3DS games included, they are just so much fun.

I have Epic Yarn on the Wii, never played it through, as well as the more traditional Kirbys Adventure too.

Big disappointment with Rainbow Curse though, as it looked great on the TV but the gameplay necessitated looking at the Gamepad, meaning you miss the vibrancy of the main display and it just feels poor.
    I don't know how a Switch version would work at all, maybe in handheld only...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,516 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Kirby Canvas Curse was fantastic on the DS. A great challenge overall, and particularly challenging to get the 3 medals per level.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,094 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Kimbot wrote: »
    Finished the Main Story on Super Mario Odyssey and all I can say is WOW, what a game :D

Going around collecting moons etc now so should get a few more days out of it. Then I will have to buy something else to play.

Don't burn yourself out collecting moons. I did it and gave up on the game for a long time but now I log in every now and then to collect a few more and clear a new world.

Odyssey is a fantastic game. Nit pick: I think the art style / direction is inconsistent though. Some worlds are gorgeous, others such as the food world are bland.

Whereas super Mario 3d world is consistently high quality. There is no way this game is not making it to the switch. I expect TV ads with cats by the end of the year. Hopefully they add some more stuff so I can justify buying it again.

Back to Odyssey - It's very brave turn for Nintendo. Mario somersaulting around in a wedding dress is hilarious. The main ending is brilliant. It's full of joy. It's all just buttery smooth and Mario is supremely controllable and feels perfect. No other company can do this. They have been perfecting this for decades !

Soon to be playing.... Captain Toad on the Switch... again...

It was an internal debate over buying this or the 3DS version, but the sale means the Switch edition is only €28 so that swung it.

I would expect I'll buy the 3DS version as well, eventually, although these later releases are thin on the ground, I can't find Samus Returns anywhere!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,398 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Just started playing Horizon Chase Turbo - reminds me of Lotus Esprit Turbo on the Amiga. It reviewed well and is on sale so picked it up. It plays really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,263 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Just started playing Horizon Chase Turbo - reminds me of Lotus Esprit Turbo on the Amiga. It reviewed well and is on sale so picked it up. It plays really good.

It's very good. A no nonsense high speed arcade racer. Some vibes of SNES Top Gear and Outrun to it too. I only wish it had online - but it's very good value even without.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Civ 6.
    Toilet breaks will never be the same again.
    Very slow. VERY slow. But pretty and as compelling as ever.
    It's silly but I really miss being able to name my race and leader - The McCarthaginians shall have no last stand against the Persian hordes on the walls of Keanopolis this time out :(

Definitely play your first game on Chieftan on a small map and just get used to the changes and interface and the Switch controls. I'm coming from a little Civ 4 and a lot of Civ 3, I don't remember archers being able to fire 2 squares away which is AWESOME for city defense. Plonked my first city into a little cove protected on 2 sides by mountains and a third by the ocean, then a bunch of barbarians crowded into the only way in or out of the valley and I was trapped for 2000 years, like a common genie!

After putting 40+ hours into Xenoblade 2 I don't think I can take anymore. I've never had such a love/ hate relationship with a game. When its good its very good, but my God can it frustrate the living sh!t out of me. At the stage now where its doing the second one more than the first so I think I've had enough. This will be the first time I've invested so much time in a game and gave up on it.

It seems every boss from around Chapter 3 on has some bullsh!t cheapo insta-kill move that wipes your whole team when it gets to half health. You absolutely have to use chain attacks to get anywhere with bosses at the stage I'm at, which I wouldn't mind if my team weren't such complete dumbasses. At one stage last night there was an enemy standing by a pool of fire and my team mates decide to run through the fire and then stand in it while fighting the enemy and inevitably dying. Any other game I would have been shocked but I was just sat there thinking 'Yup, that's Xenoblade for ya'.

I have too many good games in my backlog that actually respect my time spent playing them to be investing this much time in a game that keeps throwing crap at me.

skerry wrote: »
    After putting 40+ hours into Xenoblade 2 I don't think I can take anymore. I've never had such a love/ hate relationship with a game. When its good its very good, but my God can it frustrate the living sh!t out of me. At the stage now where its doing the second one more than the first so I think I've had enough. This will be the first time I've invested so much time in a game and gave up on it.

It seems every boss from around Chapter 3 on has some bullsh!t cheapo insta-kill move that wipes your whole team when it gets to half health. You absolutely have to use chain attacks to get anywhere with bosses at the stage I'm at, which I wouldn't mind if my team weren't such complete dumbasses. At one stage last night there was an enemy standing by a pool of fire and my team mates decide to run through the fire and then stand in it while fighting the enemy and inevitably dying. Any other game I would have been shocked but I was just sat there thinking 'Yup, that's Xenoblade for ya'.

I have too many good games in my backlog that actually respect my time spent playing them to be investing this much time in a game that keeps throwing crap at me.

I seem to be stuck fighting Padraig and Brigid (or whatever they are called) under a bridge!
    Probably the first proper fight and I'm terrible at it!
    Probably because I am useless at these games and really need to do a little leveling up.
    Or trade it in and buy something else.....

• Advertisement

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I seem to be stuck fighting Padraig and Brigid (or whatever they are called) under a bridge!
    Probably the first proper fight and I'm terrible at it!
    Probably because I am useless at these games and really need to do a little leveling up.
    Or trade it in and buy something else.....

Be prepared for some frustration in later bosses so if you have the patience to get there :D

Don't recall having huge hassle with that fight, just use blade arts and level 3 combos as much as you can. Not sure if Chain Attacks are introduced at that stage but that's just another level of complexity on top of everything else.

I'm 40 hours in and I'm only on Chapter 5 of 10. Chapter 4 is the longest level I've ever come across in a game, reckon I'd have finished 2 indie titles in the time I spend on that chapter alone.

I just can't believe that I'm this far into a game and I'm still having to do some intense Googling to figure out the battle system. It should be second nature at this point, especially since I've actually paid attention to the tutorials.

Advertisement