Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are you playing, Nintendo edition.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

skerry wrote: »
    Be prepared for some frustration in later bosses so if you have the patience to get there :D

Don't recall having huge hassle with that fight, just use blade arts and level 3 combos as much as you can. Not sure if Chain Attacks are introduced at that stage but that's just another level of complexity on top of everything else. .

I
    Don't
    Know
    What
    They
    Are!

As the right hand icons are illuminated I use the attacks.
    Do they continue to gain in power if I leave them alone?
    I sense a trawl through Youtube in my future!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭skerry

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I
    Don't
    Know
    What
    They
    Are!

As the right hand icons are illuminated I use the attacks.
    Do they continue to gain in power if I leave them alone?
    I sense a trawl through Youtube in my future!

Yeah they go from level I to III. Once you or a team mate are at level I then fire one off. This will open up a bunch of icons on the top right of screen with a sequence of elements showing you the options of the next element you can use to continue the combo. The first level I starts the combo then next element in line needs to be minimum level II and final one needs to have someone charged up to level III. Then an animation will start for the level III and it will do big damage. All this needs to be done before the timer bar runs out.

If the above sounds confusing, thats because it is :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

There are fights in Xenoblade?
    I tried to go back to it at the weekend, I put another 30 or 40 minutes in and I was just running around a market being told I shouldn't go exploring because I was busy, getting stuck in badly written dialog and cut scenes, then getting the glad eye off an eight year old with a pet tiger. Then more running around with nothing to do. I want so much to like the game, mainly because it cost money and I want a return on investment, but jesus it's slow. And it's so hard to ignore the insistent nudges of Diablo III and whatever season number we're on now... "Not a lot going on there Banjo.... you know where there *is* a lot going on? Acts I,II, III... Bounties! Bosses! Loot drops! Oh look, another rabbit wants to have a chat with you - don't let me keep you..."

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,398 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Banjo wrote: »
    I tried to go back to it at the weekend, I put another 30 or 40 minutes in and I was just running around a market being told I shouldn't go exploring because I was busy, getting stuck in badly written dialog and cut scenes, then getting the glad eye off an eight year old with a pet tiger. Then more running around with nothing to do. I want so much to like the game, mainly because it cost money and I want a return on investment, but jesus it's slow. And it's so hard to ignore the insistent nudges of Diablo III and whatever season number we're on now... "Not a lot going on there Banjo.... you know where there *is* a lot going on? Acts I,II, III... Bounties! Bosses! Loot drops! Oh look, another rabbit wants to have a chat with you - don't let me keep you..."

How does D3 play on the Switch in handheld mode (or docked even)? The controls work ok without a mouse & kb? I got hooked on it on PC a while back, kinda tempted again now it's on sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Never played on PC. But you use the left stick to move around, your skills are mapped to the shoulders and right hand face buttons, you target whatever you're facing. It gets a little chaotic if you're a melee character in a big crowd - I'm running a Monk with that Exploding Fist power where you really need to wail on the same guy over and over so he pops and does AoE damage to everyone else, big crowds can be very frustrating - but overall it's fine. Mostly played hand-held, have not noticed any issues with slowdown or tearing even on a very busy screen. Have not played it multiplayer as I'm a cheapskate.

• Advertisement

Banjo wrote: »

I think I'm going to try defeat that boss I'm stuck out of pure masochistic stubbornness but I'll be giving it a lengthy break after that, and we all know what that means.

Playing Yakuza Kiwami and Disgaea 5 at the moment too which are giving me infinitely more return out of time invested than Xeno is so will concentrate on them. Have my Necro up to level 70 in D3 too so might do some rifts to relieve the mental stress Xenoblade has put me through.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Andrew76 wrote: »
    How does D3 play on the Switch in handheld mode (or docked even)? The controls work ok without a mouse & kb? I got hooked on it on PC a while back, kinda tempted again now it's on sale.

Necromancer with horde of skeletons is great craic. Hold down bone shard, mow through crowds, every kill recharges mana, so super handy to get up the kill count!

I've only played it in handheld (like 99% of my games) it's great fun!

Grassey wrote: »
    Necromancer with horde of skeletons is great craic. Hold down bone shard, mow through crowds, every kill recharges mana, so super handy to get up the kill count!

I've only played it in handheld (like 99% of my games) it's great fun!

Savage craic alright if there is any bit of mob density you just corpse explode your way through an area. Setting minions on larger enemies is very effective too.

Its my first time playing D3 on any console. Found the campaign fairly boring but Adventure mode doing rifts and bounties for decent loot is way more craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I gave up on Xenoblade - just nonsense, and as said, no respect for your time. Yeah, it's ambitious, but the whole point of a game is to be fun - I understand that fun is different to different people, and some will find the obtuse, self discovery to be amazing, but I just didn't have the patience.

I've actually started Valkyrie Chronicles (the first one) - I saw Mario Rabbids was on sale, and I loved it, and I wanted something a bit similar, but not quite the same - I've only done the first mission, but it's interesting so far. A lot of cutscenes so far, so hopefully that's just story set up and will calm down a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

chrislad wrote: »
    I've actually started Valkyrie Chronicles (the first one) - I saw Mario Rabbids was on sale, and I loved it, and I wanted something a bit similar, but not quite the same - I've only done the first mission, but it's interesting so far. A lot of cutscenes so far, so hopefully that's just story set up and will calm down a bit.

Valkyrie Chronicles is great. Think of it as a 3rd Person Advanced Wars. The cut scenes do get a bit more bearable, and your squad mates will grow on you over time so you get worried about them getting killed.

Playing Virtues Last Reward at the moment, which has made me remember the DS game 9 Hours 9 People 9 Doors which I never got around to years ago. Going for crazy money now to buy it back.

• Advertisement

chrislad wrote: »
    I gave up on Xenoblade - just nonsense, and as said, no respect for your time. Yeah, it's ambitious, but the whole point of a game is to be fun - I understand that fun is different to different people, and some will find the obtuse, self discovery to be amazing, but I just didn't have the patience.

100% agree. I have no problem with getting my head around complex battle systems etc. if the process of doing so is fun, that's why we play games after all. But with Xenoblade they've made it so damn complex that it just becomes a chore. I haven't even spent time leveling up Poppi through that God awful Tiger game because its zero craic doing so.

I've heard that they have ironed out a lot of the annoyances in Torna but to me thats just another slap in the face. I've already paid full price for the main game but to have a more tolerable version I have to spend nearly the price of a full game again to experience it. Don't understand why they didn't patch the main game before focusing on DLC. Its a shame cos there is a really good game in there if they cut out half the bullsh!t

• Registered Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭nedd

I just got my Joy Con back from Nintendo after getting it repaired for drifting. I missed my Switch so much.

I have Hollow Knight downloading to start in the morning. Any tips for a total noob who has no idea what the game is about?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,516 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Take it slow at the start. You're pretty weak until you get some abilities. Find the map maker at the bottom of the first area, then go back to town and buy everything his wife has on sale.

Also unlock the stag stations when you find them. It'll make traveling around the map much easier...

Enjoy. You're in for a treat.

Edit: One more thing - when you look at the map, boss rooms usually have a symbol of some sort on them. That caught my nephew out. He was going round in circles in a certain area trying to find where to go and didn't realise that he was passing the entrance to a boss room every time....

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,398 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Also, play with the joycons attached to the Switch - or you might need to send them off for repair again after flinging them across the room in frustration! :D

Things get a little easier after you beat
    Hornet
    imo so stick with it.

Lads, Tetris 99 is a thing of beauty.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

fixxxer wrote: »
    Lads, Tetris 99 is a thing of beauty.

Works a LOT better than expected even if its a little bit slow to load a new game.
    Not sure what the player levels achieve though. Maybe its how they group players :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Only managed one game so far of Tetris but surprisingly finished 10th. Can see it being very addictive!

Top 5 finish!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭conormario

Yoshi crafted world demo is very nice.
    Looks great, feels good. Feels fresh.

Background music repetitive, short and tedious.
    Don't understand why they short change the background music. Think it was similar in wooly world. Throw some money at Koiji Kondo or David Wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Loved Okami back in the day but wow it has aged badly. 20 mins in and I keep thinking u should just replay botw.

Anyone stick with it?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Loved Okami back in the day but wow it has aged badly. 20 mins in and I keep thinking u should just replay botw.

Anyone stick with it?

No, I keep buying it and not playing it.
    It's lovely to look at but, most of the time, just feels like Devil May Cry.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

naughtb4 wrote: »

Anyone stick with it?

It's way too dialogue heavy and the beginning tutorials last way too long but then it gets much better... and then never bloody ends. I never finished it as well as it is just such a massive game and kind of exhausting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭conormario

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It's way too dialogue heavy and the beginning tutorials last way too long but then it gets much better... and then never bloody ends. I never finished it as well as it is just such a massive game and kind of exhausting.

That's why BOTW is incredible.
    Easy to spend 100 totally fantastic hours in it.
    And it's still repayable.
    Total genius design in that game.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭_Godot_

I'm still playing Etrian Odyssey V (no Nexus for me for a while!) but I've ordered Pokemon Omega Ruby from Cex. I enjoyed Alpha Sapphire more than I did Moon, so I know I'll enjoy Omega Ruby.

Just tried Tetris 99 for the first time.
    Managed a respectable 21.
    Fun, but feels like finger painting next to the masterpiece that is Tetris Effect.

I like the Daemon Ex Machina game though, plenty of fun, reminds me of the first Robotech game on the Xbox, though I think I preferred that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭Cotts72

conormario wrote: »
    That's why BOTW is incredible.
    Easy to spend 100 totally fantastic hours in it.
    And it's still repayable.
    Total genius design in that game.

This 100%! ive done as much side missions as i can and and now left with taking on Ganon but dont want the game to end so im still holding off haha

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Me and a friend playing FF9 together on Switch, they suggested it, thought it was a cute idea, gonna try keep the same pace so we can chat about it.
    I saw my friend play as a kid so I know how it goes but can't remember what the characters were like, they know absolutely nothing about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,263 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Is there a lot of turned based combat in all FF games? It's just not something I can get down with in RPGs. I really wanted to get into Octopath Traveler - there was so much to like otherwise - but the constant stop-start with the tbc absolutely did my nut in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

manual_man wrote: »
    Is there a lot of turned based combat in all FF games? It's just not something I can get down with in RPGs. I really wanted to get into Octopath Traveler - there was so much to like otherwise - but the constant stop-start with the tbc absolutely did my nut in.
    It's turn based but the enemies will attack while you're picking moves. Maybe Tactics would suit better? Or FF12 or 15? There's a JRPG thread that would be way more helpful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭nedd

manual_man wrote: »

This is my view as well. I really like the idea of big, in-depth games that I can lose myself in. But the turn based combat annoys me.

Advertisement