Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are you playing, Nintendo edition.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Just finished 3rd in a game of Tetris 99! The absolute panic that kicks in when it gets to the last 10 is unreal!

Really like this format of play for online Tetris as one vs one in Puyo Puyo Tetris was impossible online against the best players.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭nedd

I got Rocket League yesterday for a tenner. Great fun.

I am all over the place though, I feel happy if I get to hit the ball, never mind scoring.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Getting hockeyed in tetris tonight!

Standard seems to have gone through the roof! Can barely get past 80th now and was enjoying top 10 finishes every game at start of week!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭conormario

Grassey wrote: »

Standard seems to have gone through the roof! Can barely get past 80th now and was enjoying top 10 finishes every game at start of week!

Wondering what's people's controller of choice is for tetris?
    And are you having any d-pad issues with pro controller?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

conormario wrote: »

Reports online suggest using joy cons is probably the best way to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Yeah, sometimes I quit and restart it convincing myself it helps :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭Cotts72

anyone tried Modern Combat Blackout yet? was tempted to add it to the collection

• Registered Users Posts: 55,516 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I find the joycons are only ok-ish, the d-pad is a bit too low and too crampish when it gets into the top 10. Must dig out the pro controller, bought it when I got the switch, connected that day and haven't used it since. Hope I can find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭geotrig

while I did fair better here and there i felt the same 98-50 was a bit more of a slog than when i started playing at the start of the week.

Also for this Dbuttons > dpad ...find them great for this game.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Playing LOVE on Switch there, what a nice game, not sure if the game is compelling or is it the soundtrack, which is outstanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭Cotts72

Has anyone taken a plunge on aragami yet? Was thinking of adding that or Mark of the ninja to my collection

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Playing the Trials beta with the whole family. Crash, watch body twitch, pass the controller. Everyone's in fits but my times are abysmal. Watching my 5 year old coach her mam on when to lean forward and back is gas though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,794 ✭✭✭sweetie

Cotts72 wrote:
    Has anyone taken a plunge on aragami yet? Was thinking of adding that or Mark of the ninja to my collection

Cotts72 wrote:

MOTN is a super wee game

Trials is getting decent reviews (8/10-ish), despite the graphics complaints last week.

Back on the wishlist it goes....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Mr E wrote: »
    Trials is getting decent reviews (8/10-ish), despite the graphics complaints last week.

Back on the wishlist it goes....

Have the commented on it at last? The few images I've seen make it look like Trial: Silent Hill Edition, compare to the Xbox/PS4 versions. While I don't expect parity, Trial isn't exactly a trend setter in terms of high quality graphics.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Some of the reviews I've listened to said the tutorial is very foggy but the reset of the tracks are a lot better

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Just picked up FF9 for 6 euro after I applied my Nintendo points, can't argue with that .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭skerry

Picked up Valkyria Chronicles earlier. Played a bit of VC4 demo on Xbox last night and enjoyed it. Didn't think the gameplay would be my cup of tea but it's done quite well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Its a great game i love the story on it, i would have picked it up but i have it on the PS4.

I had it when it was originally out on the PS3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭skerry

Calhoun wrote: »
    Its a great game i love the story on it, i would have picked it up but i have it on the PS4.

I had it when it was originally out on the PS3.

Picked it up for around 7 euro with a few points. Lovely story and soundtrack so far. Nice chill game to play before bed.

It's a pity Sega are not at the console races anymore, they have some great games out that would make up a decent first party library.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

nedd wrote: »
    This is my view as well. I really like the idea of big, in-depth games that I can lose myself in. But the turn based combat annoys me.

Turn based combat is amazing and far better than real time. Only problem is a lot of the popular games do it badly. Octopath traveller is a slog and FF has never really done it well as it's slow.

Games like Persona 5, Valkyria Chronicles, XCom, Grandia and Dragon Quest are much better examples of fun turn based combat.

I'm juggling Trials Rising and Ape Out.

Trials Rising works really well on Switch. You use the right stick instead of triggers to throttle/brake and it works great. See how I get on when I get to the hard tracks, but so far so good. The tutorials are very good and worth practicing to learn the main techniques. I think the graphics need a patch or two. I definitely notice flickering in the background. It's not enough to spoil the game though.

Ape Out is going to be a classic and deserves to be mentioned in the same breath as Hollow Knight and Celeste. Like HK and Celeste, it's not going to be for everyone but I love it. It's so stylish and absolute fun every time you play it. It has a real 'one more go' appeal. You restart a level when you die, but the layout is randomised each time so it doesn't get stale if you keep dying. I'm not a fan of percussive jazz, but the sound in this game is ridiculously good and suits the game perfectly. Add it to your watch list at the very least - it deserves a spot as one of the Switch's essential games.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Playing Dark Souls...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭conormario

Super Mario 3D world is really a fantastic, beautiful, pure video game.

I love the rendition of Gusty Garden Galaxy (best tune ever :-)) in the champions road level here.
    Also, just look at the sheer brilliance of video game design on show here. All flawless 60 FPS.
    I haven't even got to this level :-) ... one day :-) :-)
    SPOLIER alert - it's the last level
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIYvd5aqeV8

I really hope the bring this out on the switch, maybe combined with 3d land.
    Or a 3D World 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Super Mario 3D world is really a fantastic, beautiful, pure video game.

I love the rendition of Gusty Garden Galaxy (best tune ever :-)) in the champions road level here.
    Also, just look at the sheer brilliance of video game design on show here. All flawless 60 FPS.
    I haven't even got to this level :-) ... one day :-) :-)
    SPOLIER alert - it's the last level
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIYvd5aqeV8

I really hope the bring this out on the switch, maybe combined with 3d land.
    Or a 3D World 2.

I'm still stuck on that level 4 years later. I can never nail the timing of the bit where you've to propel yourself off the plants. Must give it another rip at some stage, absolutely love that game.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,456 ✭✭✭Nollog

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    I'm still stuck on that level 4 years later. I can never nail the timing of the bit where you've to propel yourself off the plants. Must give it another rip at some stage, absolutely love that game.

I gave up on the go through the a hundred boxes and do one room challenges level

• Registered Users Posts: 19,628 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Giving this Skyrim a go for the first time ever.

It's cool enough, but I'm dreading that it'll go on for a million hours that I could possibly better spend on something else. Or several other things.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Skyrim is positively tantric in the way it endlessly distracts you from the destination with journey after journey. Just go with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭nedd

Banjo wrote: »
    Skyrim is positively tantric in the way it endlessly distracts you from the destination with journey after journey. Just go with it.

Yeah, go with it. One of the seeking points for me is that I could put 100 hours into a game handheld. Skyrim is perfect for the switch.

Follow the main story for a bit and then enjoy getting lost in side missions.

Advertisement