Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are you playing, Nintendo edition.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭nedd

Mr E wrote: »
    Which boss? :)

Enraged Guardian, he shouldn’t be causing me so much hassle, he is fast enough and deals double damage. But the worst of it all is I managed to die while on my way back to him and lost over 2000 geo. Just another frustration on top of more frustration.

I really enjoy exploring the world and using new abilities to find new places but the Bosses annoy me.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,516 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Two tips for you.

1. Hitting a boss doesn't knock them back or interrupt attacks. The best way to learn their pattern is to try and stay passive for a few minutes. Don't attack and just avoid them. I was stuck forever on the Mantis Lords and that's how I beat them eventually.

2. Go to youtube and look up "Hollow Knight <boss> no damage" - they'll make it look easy (and show you a technique or attack cue that you may have missed).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

nedd wrote: »
    Enraged Guardian, he shouldn’t be causing me so much hassle, he is fast enough and deals double damage. But the worst of it all is I managed to die while on my way back to him and lost over 2000 geo. Just another frustration on top of more frustration.

I really enjoy exploring the world and using new abilities to find new places but the Bosses annoy me.

It was the Watcher Knight for me. Lost so much time to it. Great game though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

nedd wrote: »

Also I am pretty sure you dont HAVE to beat him

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Ape Out, highly recommend if you like simple stylish games with a good difficulty curve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

The Conduit 2. Has been sitting on my shelf for a while and something reminded me of it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭skerry

Valkyria Chronicles, probably the best 9 euro I ever spent :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Impulse purchase of FF9 while I eagerly await for FF12 to be released.

skerry wrote: »
    Valkyria Chronicles, probably the best 9 euro I ever spent :)

I'm about 6 missions in, and I'm enjoying it, but it's not *gripping* me - I'm flipping between this and short games, just to get them off my backlog (Gris is done, working my way through Valley, and going to take on Bastion after that)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

fixxxer wrote:
    Impulse purchase of FF9 while I eagerly await for FF12 to be released.

I picked up final fantasy maxima for 16 quid for kinda the same reasons. Not too bad so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Grassey wrote: »
    I picked up final fantasy maxima for 16 quid for kinda the same reasons. Not too bad so far.

Is that the World of Final Fantasy update?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Yeah that's the one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭skerry

chrislad wrote: »
    I'm about 6 missions in, and I'm enjoying it, but it's not *gripping* me - I'm flipping between this and short games, just to get them off my backlog (Gris is done, working my way through Valley, and going to take on Bastion after that)

Its very good. Story is just the right balance of cheese and decent story. Looking forward to finishing it and getting stuck into VC4.

Later battles can go on a while and can be frustrating when you make a stupid move late in a battle. Had to redo the same mission 3 times today as it never told me it was my tank that had to get to the point to finish the mission. Used my last point to buff my scout and leg it to the finish point on my last turn and nothing happened, tank got blown to pieces on next turn then :(.

Apart from mission instructions not being clearest at times their really enjoyable. Got my first A grade today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭conormario

Games I've played recently ...

The games that keep giving ...
    Some side quests and Lynel battles on BOTW. Sublime.
    Custom Mario kart, 200 cc, mirror tracks, no items, hard cpu etc, fantastic. Dreamlike.
    Trying to get all the stamps in Mario 3d world. Will only try for the Mario set. Brilliant, brilliant game.

Unruly heroes ... It's good apart from terrible voice acting and some confusing controls and battles. Definitely worth considering if a sale pops up. Only 20 quid or less depending where you eshop.

Monster boy demo ... Hard to tell from one level. Music track is annoying and short, character graphics and animation don't click with me. But I imagine it getting very compelling with more content in the full game.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,137 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Skyrim first time ever playing it on anything am gonna go buy a guide read it cover to cover and then start in the mean time I have Smash Bros and New Super Luigi Bros Delux to go at and Dark Souls to haunt myself with, damn I love my switch to bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Playing Cave Story at the moment got the first ending which was underwhelming

Seems like the difficulty has spiked massively since then and not sure I can be bothered continuing

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Playing Cave Story at the moment got the first ending which was underwhelming

Seems like the difficulty has spiked massively since then and not sure I can be bothered continuing

I have it as a physical release on both the 3DS and Switch, but not played it past the earliest stages, must find some time to play it

Breath of the Wild. Apparently for the first time since September 2017. Was sure I played since then

Got a few smaller indies in the last week.

Baba Is You is a very clever game - a bit like a simple sokoban mixed with a word game and clever rule manipulation. You move blocks around the level to make phrases (the most common is "Baba is You"). There are other things you can put before the "is", like rock, flag, wall, lava, water, crab, skull, grass. There are things that go after the "is" like defeat, win, push, sink, float, move...

By saying something is something, you can change the rules of the game. Like if you change "wall is stop" by pushing "stop" out of the way, you can walk through walls. Make "Rock is Push" and you can push rocks. Look at the trailer below to see how it works...

It's one of those games where I was scratching my head for 20 minutes last night trying to figure out a level (and it was an early level, in the teens). I had a big "Ah-ha!" moment and felt very clever and very stupid at the same time. :)

It has over 100 levels and it's €12.50 in the eshop. This is the kind of game that excels on the Switch.

The other one is Golf Peaks. I had $3.50 in my US account and $2 in gold coins and it was only a fiver. It's a puzzle game that mixes golf with a card game. You have to use the cards (which do actions like move 3 spaces, chip 2 spaces and roll 2 spaces etc.) and get to the hole.

It's also out on iOS and Android for a little bit less, but I prefer it on Switch. It also has over 100 levels and I'm completely stuck in World 3 (about 30 levels in).

Some trailers...

Yeah my first thought when seeing Baba is You was Typoman, but it's different.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I played the original demo version of Baba Is You a while back and thought it was a very clever design for a puzzle game. It reminds me a bit of Antichamber on PC in that it's partly getting you to think about how the rules of the game fit together so you can work out how to change (or break) those rules.

I must pick up the Switch version. The question is, before or after I pick up Ape Out? And do I make myself finish Starlink first?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Anyone picked up Turok yet? I'm tempted after seeing that they included gyro controls but haven't pulled the trigger on buying it yet.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Anyone picked up Turok yet? I'm tempted after seeing that they included gyro controls but haven't pulled the trigger on buying it yet.

I'm holding way off to see if the game has been improved over the original.
    I see they've made the fogging less intrusive.

Just finished Valley. A nice little game, I think I got it for about a tenner from the SA store, and it's worth about that. About 4 hours of unchallenging, walking around, with the odd bit of exploration and shooting - music was nice - it's not worth much more than the tenner, but it was fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

Picked up 3 new games on sale over the weekend.
    Yooka Laylee (€20) is a great 3d platformer. Haven't really had much issues with the camera controls as is mentioned in a lot of reviews. Very funny writing in it. The noise the characters make when "talking" is the only irritating thing I've come across so far.
    Inside (€13) is creepy as hell. Only about half hour in but can't wait to get back to it again.
    Serial Cleaner (€5) is great for jumping in for a quick game to pass a few minutes. Clever design and looks like it could get challenging the further in i progress.
    Would recommend all 3, especially since they're all reduced right now.

Back to Hollow Knight. After a long break away, it was tough to figure out where I needed to go. I think I'm back on track now - heading towards the second
    Hornet
    fight, then down to the
    Ancient Basin
    (I think).

I'm sorry Nintendo...
    Literally everything is on pause while I play Sekiro.
    I promise I haven't forgotten you, but you understand this can't wait...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I'm sorry Nintendo...
    Literally everything is on pause while I play Sekiro.
    I promise I haven't forgotten you, but you understand this came wait...

Same as!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭nedd

Mr E wrote: »
    Back to Hollow Knight. After a long break away, it was tough to figure out where I needed to go. I think I'm back on track now - heading towards the second
    Hornet
    fight, then down to the
    Ancient Basin
    (I think).

Hollow Knight got the better of me, I was enjoying it but it was too punishing at times.
    I bought Celeste. Love it. Very difficult, I have literally died hundreds of times but at least once you are past a screen you don’t have to do it again. Really loving the game play and the story is nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

For a €70 game, Smash Bros is really light on instructions!
    Fired it up for the first time ever. I beat the ****e out of Kirby and got his energy to 147%, whatever that means, and then the time ran out and I lost. My energy was only about 100% or something.
    I played another game and won. This time the time ran out and it went to sudden death and I punched Samus once and I won.
    In between that, I unlocked a little boy character and kicked the ****e out of him. I won that fight coz somehow I did a super punch that knocked him off screen. How did I do that? I was tryin some old street fighter moves but none of them worked!!

Pure nonsense of a game!

Advertisement