Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are you playing, Nintendo edition.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,516 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I just can't warm to that game at all (I played multiplayer and WOL for a few hours on my nephew's switch).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

I had to look up youtube videos to understand what was happening.

Love it now, even though I still suck at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

The_B_Man wrote: »
    For a €70 game, Smash Bros is really light on instructions!
    Fired it up for the first time ever. I beat the ****e out of Kirby and got his energy to 147%, whatever that means, and then the time ran out and I lost. My energy was only about 100% or something.
    I played another game and won. This time the time ran out and it went to sudden death and I punched Samus once and I won.
    In between that, I unlocked a little boy character and kicked the ****e out of him. I won that fight coz somehow I did a super punch that knocked him off screen. How did I do that? I was tryin some old street fighter moves but none of them worked!!

Pure nonsense of a game!

that 147% is his damage meter. The aim of the game is to knock your opponent off the stage. The higher the damage meter goes, the further they travel when you hit them. Get it high enough and when you smash-attack them off the visible area they disappear and smack up against the screen comically or become a new star in the sky, that kind of thing.

I'm terrible at the game and don't know the controls so can't answer your specific questions :D I'm pretty sure there are no "dragon punch" inputs though, it's punch button, jump button, special attack button, grab button, block button. Punch + Direction = Smash, and this charges up if you hold it. Direction + Special changes the special. Most people have at least one that helps you get back on the stage if you get knocked off. And you can double-jump.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Banjo wrote: »
    that 147% is his damage meter. The aim of the game is to knock your opponent off the stage. The higher the damage meter goes, the further they travel when you hit them. Get it high enough and when you smash-attack them off the visible area they disappear and smack up against the screen comically or become a new star in the sky, that kind of thing.

I'm terrible at the game and don't know the controls so can't answer your specific questions :D I'm pretty sure there are no "dragon punch" inputs though, it's punch button, jump button, special attack button, grab button, block button. Punch + Direction = Smash, and this charges up if you hold it. Direction + Special changes the special. Most people have at least one that helps you get back on the stage if you get knocked off. And you can double-jump.

The Street Fight characters have their proper moves, which is a nice touch :)

Awwww! When my Ryu amiibo didn't unlock him for play I just thought "screw the DLC!" so I've never had a go. :( Good to know though. Or bad, depending on how well my mrs takes me trying to buy Smash for Switch with the child benefit cheque.

• Advertisement

Awwww! When my Ryu amiibo didn't unlock him for play I just thought "screw the DLC!" so I've never had a go. :( Good to know though. Or bad, depending on how well my mrs takes me trying to buy Smash for Switch with the child benefit cheque.

Ryu and Ken aren't DLC (for the Switch version, I believe Ryu was for the Wii U alright) - they're unlocked via normal gameplay for Ultimate, though there's probably a way to unlock him faster using a specific character path.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Anyone stump up for Yoshi this morning?
    I'm trying to decide if the pile needs another member or if I'll actually get around to playing it before dementia really takes hold.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭Cotts72

How do you do the special move/finisher?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Cotts72 wrote: »
    How do you do the special move/finisher?

The smash ultimate? A little glowy ball floats on to the screen (randomly? not sure) which you must attack to break it open before your opponent does. If you get it its just a press of the (B) button the activate.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Anyone stump up for Yoshi this morning?
    I'm trying to decide if the pile needs another member or if I'll actually get around to playing it before dementia really takes hold.

I did, but I've only had time to finish the first couple of levels, one of which is the demo level. It's certainly pretty, and looks great, but the level of challenge is still quite low, but I'm not really at the point to give it a fair review yet.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Sekiro is still the prime motivator to play games right now, plus there's a mountain to yet play on the Switch.
    I'm tempted to get Loki on Switch though, while it's still out there as a physical edition.
    I didn't want it until Dinorex mentioned the original... And so the seed was sown...

I'm going to postpone Yoshi for a while - I'm in no rush to get it myself.

I bought it for my nephew for a confirmation present, so I might grab it off him when he's done with it.

chrislad wrote: »
    I did, but I've only had time to finish the first couple of levels, one of which is the demo level. It's certainly pretty, and looks great, but the level of challenge is still quite low, but I'm not really at the point to give it a fair review yet.

To add to this, I've probably gone through about 15 levels or so at this point.

While finishing a level is not challenging, finding all the coins/suns/items etc, can be challenging, especially on the first try. The first boss was fairly simple, but again, for my son, it was challenging enough, as he doesn't have a lot of experience with these games (all Fortnite, Minecraft, and Terraria really...).

I'm definitely enjoying it. The music is fine, the controls are tight, and the graphics are really pretty. I've only played in handheld mode, but will probably try docked later. Overall, I'd recommend it, but probably not at full price - I paid 45 digital via South Africa, which is a fair enough price.

Note: I've not played Epic Yarn or Wooly World, so people who have experience with either of those two may have a different experience, and more relative comparisons.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Actually can't stop playing Tetris 99, crazy how frustrating it is and how much I'm loving it

And how my Tetris skills count for sweet **** all in this game

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Putting a pause on my second play through of Diablo 3* for Hob and it's really great. Organic exploration and intuitive puzzles (except for one so far, my bad). Combat is a bit janky but there are only bits and pieces of it. Don't know how far into it I am but hopefully it'll help bridge the gap between now and Final Fantasy 12 :)

*wherein Merida, the red-haired Barbarian lady lays waste to all her foes to 'cheenge her feeyt'.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Tetris 99 and Final Fantasy IX are taking up most of my time. Thinking of doing another Diablo III season too - honestly think the Switch version is the best of what I consider to be the best game of the last decade. The portability with almost zero sacrifice is awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Tetris 99 and Final Fantasy IX are taking up most of my time. Thinking of doing another Diablo III season too - honestly think the Switch version is the best of what I consider to be the best game of the last decade. The portability with almost zero sacrifice is awesome.

Played D3 a serous amount on PC and for the life of me cannot contemplate playing it on anything other then PC.

Really that good ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Just started Super Mario Odyssey. What an absolute joy of a game!! Quintessentially Nintendo and all the better for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,094 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Doodah7 wrote: »
    Just started Super Mario Odyssey. What an absolute joy of a game!! Quintessentially Nintendo and all the better for it!

It's really good. I prefer it to BOTW.

Finished the main Yoshi story last night. Much better than Kirby in that it's somewhat challenging, more so though on the collecting all items than finishing the level. Some nice set pieces and full of charm. I'll go back to it over time to clear up the missed items and look at the unlocked post game levels.

For now, I'm going to try to finish Hob before Final Fantasy drops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Dead Cells. Seems decent. Got Ff7 and Turok but only played a small bit, just nostalgia!

Gal metal
    Theres a serious delay when played on the telly that makes it unplayable, their solution is to play with headphones which seems a bit off unless you own a 40' long mini phono extension cord.
    Fun game, but weird because you have to play it Tabletop, and you either have to "own it" by Phil Collinsing out in public or risk looking like you're **** off both of you tiny radioactive penises under the desk. Alas there is no middle ground. Gives you a new respect for drummers though - with no click track if you lose the beat it's surprisingly hard to find it again without stopping entirely.

Don't buy it for the story :) the tacked on boy-in-girls-body thing is an unnecessarily fetishistic reason for the rest of the band to put up with their leader suddenly being **** at the drums, and it really doesn't gel with the pseudo-management game that runs between gigs where you hang out with your hosts friends, it just makes it creepy for no reason and zero gain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

Can't believe i waited so long to play Inside. Not finished it yet but i think it might be in my top 5 favourite games now. Looks gorgeous, it's as tense as hell and I'm still not sure what the storyline is. But i love it.

I had a good amount of time on the Switch this weekend.

I have played a few hours of Hob this weekend. I like it a lot but don't love it.
    I'm all for less handholding, but this takes it to extremes.
    You have to wander around large areas trying to figure out what to do next.
    It's not always obvious. I had to look at a playthrough on YouTube. Twice.

I know reviews for Mechstermination Force say that it's a 4-5 hour game, but I'm 6 hours in and I've only beaten 8 out of 14 of the mechs.
    6 to go. Really enjoying it though. The scale of some of the bosses is incredible.

The equivalent of this has happened to me more than once --

image.png

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Any decent horror games for switch?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,094 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

petes wrote: »
    Any decent horror games for switch?

Little Nightmare is good. More of a freaky atmosphere than scary though.

Resident Evil Revelations is a great game, I haven't played the sequel though.
    Also, Resi 4 is on the way, as well as the remake of the original.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,088 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Haven't played it, but Detention is meant to be really good

• Registered Users Posts: 19,628 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

I am only one 3 star grand prix win from doing everything in Mario Kart 8. That fùckin Rainbow Road. I hate that fùckin Rainbow Road.

So, I've decided to give Spirit Tracks a go. It's the only Zelda game I'm aware of that I straight up just didn't like. I hope I was wrong. (I think it's the graphics I can't get over. Not the style, they just seem so jagged and horrible).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Resi 4 is on the way

As scary as a game can be while containing a 4 foot tall delusional Napoleonic man.

Advertisement