Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are you playing, Nintendo edition.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

shanec1928 wrote: »
    just to give some balance, ive gotten two power banks from my memory without issue.

They seemed like a genuine company, and I believe the issue was with the postal service, not them. No idea why they didn't arrive, but they couldn't/wouldn't do tracking so I could never find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭skerry

Got Tales of Vesperia today and about 3 hours into it and really enjoying it so far. Combat was tricky at first but think I'm getting the hang of it now. My first Tales games and well impressed so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

So what would peoples absolute top 3 3DS games be? Have Layton vs Phoenix Wright at the moment but will be near a Gamestop, Argos and CeX tomorrow after work.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,088 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Off the top of my head, without looking at what I have, Link Between Worlds, Metroid Samus Returns and Luigi's Mansion 2

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭_Godot_

Ghost Trick, Picross DS and Etrian Odyssey (4, 5, Untold, Untold 2 and Nexus).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

fixxxer wrote:
    So what would peoples absolute top 3 3DS games be?

Link Between World's, Fire Emblem Awakening & Super Mario 3D Land.

I'd also suggest Animal Crossing New Leaf & the Ace Attorney Trilogy(eShop only).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,133 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Just finished Night in the woods yesterday really enjoyed it! I love games with really interesting story's and characters you actually care about.

So far on my switch ive played Mario odyssey and Mario kart. Smash bros ultimate which i finished the main story and got threw others bits im sure ill use it for multiplayer again at some point. I have Zelda but yet to play it!

Im on i think year five of Stardew valley love the game even got me girlfriend hooked on it now. Finished Undertale as well which i also really liked. Loved the interactions with characters the combat system was a bit funny at times though.

Have Celeste and Limbo as well haven't went near them yet.

Started playing Octopath traveler last night ehh dunno how i feel about it dunno if i wanna go back into it to be honest!

The thing im finding with the switch is that so many of the highly rated games are Indie 8bit games and jrpg which a lot of them i find dont do it for me.

Are there any based on the games ive mentioned i should really play?

I absolutely loved persona 5 on the ps4 havent been able to find anything to match that for what it offered.

I keep going back to this list - https://www.metacritic.com/browse/games/score/metascore/all/switch/all?sort=desc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭nedd

I really liked Celeste. Just to right level of difficulty and not frustratingly hard.
    Limbo is good as well.

Zelda is a 100 hour game. You have to play it, it is amazing (in my opinion)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Just finished Night in the woods yesterday really enjoyed it! I love games with really interesting story's and characters you actually care about.

So far on my switch ive played Mario odyssey and Mario kart. Smash bros ultimate which i finished the main story and got threw others bits im sure ill use it for multiplayer again at some point. I have Zelda but yet to play it!

Im on i think year five of Stardew valley love the game even got me girlfriend hooked on it now. Finished Undertale as well which i also really liked. Loved the interactions with characters the combat system was a bit funny at times though.

Have Celeste and Limbo as well haven't went near them yet.

Started playing Octopath traveler last night ehh dunno how i feel about it dunno if i wanna go back into it to be honest!

The thing im finding with the switch is that so many of the highly rated games are Indie 8bit games and jrpg which a lot of them i find dont do it for me.

I absolutely loved persona 5 on the ps4 havent been able to find anything to match that for what it offered.

I keep going back to this list - https://www.metacritic.com/browse/games/score/metascore/all/switch/all?sort=desc

Throw your sights onto Tales of Vesperia if you like your RPG's, im about 12 hours into it but loving it so far, fun characters and fluid story. The combat is a lot more active/action than the likes of Personas turn based, but your not button mashing forever, its pretty darn fun. :)

Only €34 in Argos at the mo now also, https://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/8683553/Trail/searchtext%3ETALES+OF+VESPERIA.htm

Ya I'm gonna have to play Zelda haven't heard a bad thing about it just afraid I won't like it seeing as never played a Zelda game somehow! Haha.

If I wasn't mad about what I've seen of Octopath will Tales of Vesperia be any better?

The thing about all these jrpg s is I sometimes look at them and think ffs where do i start!

I taught the same about persona 5 then played it and the interactions between characters there stories and whole Japanese feel in general really got me big time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,515 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

If you like RPGs, take a look at Slay The Spire. It came out last week and I played about 10 hours of it since.

Check it out on Youtube and read some reviews first. Get a feel for how it plans and what people think of it.

Incredibly addictive and a great pick-up-and-play game.

Mr E wrote: »
    If you like RPGs, take a look at Slay The Spire. It came out last week and I played about 10 hours of it since.

Check it out on Youtube and read some reviews first. Get a feel for how it plans and what people think of it.

Incredibly addictive and a great pick-up-and-play game.

Am I the only one who looks at all these indie games and find they all look the same?

Ya I'll admit I've played fair few and any recently I did get threw I enjoyed but that was mainly cause of the characters and there humor / personalitys or stories.

Ya I'm gonna have to play Zelda haven't heard a bad thing about it just afraid I won't like it seeing as never played a Zelda game somehow! Haha.

If I wasn't mad about what I've seen of Octopath will Tales of Vesperia be any better?

The thing about all these jrpg s is I sometimes look at them and think ffs where do i start!

I taught the same about persona 5 then played it and the interactions between characters there stories and whole Japanese feel in general really got me big time!

I havent played Octopath, but the characters interactions in Vesperia are fun, it is set in a big world but you dont have alot of freedom, you have to go through a set path, mostly, so far anyway..

Maybe give it a youtube and check it out a bit if you are hesitant.

Oh and if you have never played a Zelda game, get on it. Incredible game, not much story but incredible everything else.. Breath of the wild deserves to be experienced by everybody tbh..

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭strangel00p

Started playing zelda breath of the wild on the wii u. Just playing 1 hour a day and it seems pretty good so far. The developers could have made better use of the gamepad.

Started playing zelda breath of the wild on the wii u. Just playing 1 hour a day and it seems pretty good so far. The developers could have made better use of the gamepad.

Yeah that was one of my complaints when i played it on the Wii U also, they obviously didn't bother their arse when they decided to put it on the switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

nix wrote: »
    Yeah that was one of my complaints when i played it on the Wii U also, they obviously didn't bother their arse when they decided to put it on the switch.

Ye it's been spoken about a lot before.
    Apparently the idea was to release it on the Wii U with gamepad support (as was actually demo'd by Nintendo early on) but then they delayed it for the switch and since the switch needs to be docked, or doesn't have a 2nd screen obviously in handheld, they decided to scrap the "slate" part on both consoles, despite it being so ingrained in the game!

This then made the Switch the better of the 2 consoles to play the game on, encouraging more console sales.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I imagine the next one is going to be very impressive indeed, but the last game was such perfection I can't wait to see what they do!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,088 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Only one way they can go to improve it: Tingle

• Registered Users Posts: 28,094 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I imagine the next one is going to be very impressive indeed, but the last game was such perfection I can't wait to see what they do!

Hopefully they do away with weapon durability. It was the only thing I didn't like in the game.

So decided to finally start on Zelda yesterday so far i love it! Really enjoying it so far love the fact you can climb anything that **** used to drive me mental in other open world games.

Need to get my head around where to find so many of the hidden items and what recipes to use but im sure ill figure it out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Need to get my head around where to find so many of the hidden items and what recipes to use but im sure ill figure it out!

Regarding recipes, you'll find a few that work for you. I find just rambling around and fighting animals will net you a lot of meat which you can cook up by itself or in bulk for healing. Bananas for strength potions, butterflies for environment immunities (heat, cold etc) and durians and truffles for big healing.

I wouldn't call myself that good a gamer but I never really needed the advanced recipes. Tactics and good weapons and maybe some good clothes/equipment are all you need really.

Throw your sights onto Tales of Vesperia if you like your RPG's, im about 12 hours into it but loving it so far, fun characters and fluid story. The combat is a lot more active/action than the likes of Personas turn based, but your not button mashing forever, its pretty darn fun. :)

Only €34 in Argos at the mo now also, https://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/8683553/Trail/searchtext%3ETALES+OF+VESPERIA.htm

How did you get on with the boss in Emhead Hill, presume you've got that far 12 hrs in? Holy difficulty spike, absolutely hammered me.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,628 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Alright. Gold in Mirror Star Cup.

Just Special & All Cups to go.

Assuming my controller doesn't end up in the stove, which it nearly did about an hour ago.

skerry wrote: »
    How did you get on with the boss in Emhead Hill, presume you've got that far 12 hrs in? Holy difficulty spike, absolutely hammered me.

Yeah i barely scraped by him, it took me a few attempts, i had to tinker with player positions and so forth, i nearly dropped from normal to easy to mode. But i got lucky in the end, the random difficulty spikes in the game are annoying as ****.

Some bosses are well balanced and then the odd one is so ****ing difficult its insane, ive dropped it down to easy for a few bosses since. Some difficult fights are a few minutes away from a save point so it makes reattempting them extra annoying.

There is one fight where its just Yuri on his own fighting two mobs, starting the fight i have no healing items and feck all TP and there are no shops before the fight you can access, i dropped the difficulty for that one, i didnt really have a choice without restarting.

But yeah the only way i can see getting through normal and above without dropping to easy is if you grind/level for hours constantly throughout the game, or just follow a guide maybe, but feck that :)

So my advice is, the game is long and broken difficulty in parts, so just whack it on easy, or pull your hair out attempting fights for hours on end :pac:

I've also nearly failed a few fights even on easy, some of them get that hard :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Unravel 2 is utterly charming

A very relaxing experience

Yeah i barely scraped by him, it took me a few attempts, i had to tinker with player positions and so forth, i nearly dropped from normal to easy to mode. But i got lucky in the end, the random difficulty spikes in the game are annoying as ****.

Some bosses are well balanced and then the odd one is so ****ing difficult its insane, ive dropped it down to easy for a few bosses since. Some difficult fights are a few minutes away from a save point so it makes reattempting them extra annoying.

There is one fight where its just Yuri on his own fighting two mobs, starting the fight i have no healing items and feck all TP and there are no shops before the fight you can access, i dropped the difficulty for that one, i didnt really have a choice without restarting.

But yeah the only way i can see getting through normal and above without dropping to easy is if you grind/level for hours constantly throughout the game, or just follow a guide maybe, but feck that :)

So my advice is, the game is long and broken difficulty in parts, so just whack it on easy, or pull your hair out attempting fights for hours on end :pac:

I've also nearly failed a few fights even on easy, some of them get that hard :(

I thought for a second that I had completely forgotten how the battle system works cos he was absolutely hammering me. I messed around with artes and positions too but was frustrating the crap out of me so for the first time in as long as I can remember in a game (true story), I just said F@ck this and put it on Easy mode.

Really enjoying the game up until that point so hope its not too much of a recurring theme. Its one thing that turns me off a game more than anything else is random difficulty spikes and this was one of the more extreme ones. I have been doing a few of the random encounters in the map but it seems I was underleveled for him too and I'm feiced if I'm doing every random encounter now cos you'd get nothing else done.

To make it worse last night I tried him about 10 times and got hammered, turned it to easy and beat him first time and off I went to the next area. Got to the next city and ended up getting separated from the party and died in the next fight and went all the way back to the save point before that boss. I only realised afterwards that you can save when your in the field map. Took about 5 efforts to beat him again then.

I did read on a thread that one of the DLC packs has some useful items to synergise a decent weapon but haven't tried it yet so must have a look later, think it was called the Adventurers Pack or something. I haven't messed with the Synergise system much yet though.

I just googled DLC there and if you access the eshop and search Tales of Vesperia under downloadable content you can get the Adventurer Starter Pack and the Costume Pack for free..

Wish i knew this earlier :pac:

I think its just cosmetic fluff though, but still..

EDIT: Yikes, theres alot of game breaking stuff in the adventures pack, free level boosts, like a million gald and loads of rare mats o_O

Im just gonna use the costume stuff, the game will just be a walk over if i use the xp/gold/mats stuff

I just googled DLC there and if you access the eshop and search Tales of Vesperia under downloadable content you can get the Adventurer Starter Pack and the Costume Pack for free..

Wish i knew this earlier :pac:

I think its just cosmetic fluff though, but still..

The extra costumes are accessible in the game in the items screen just tab far right and add them. Just looked there and the adventurers pack gives you 900k Gald and according to the link below "900K free Gald and access to synthesis materials that will let you make 500+ attack power late game weapons". Apparently makes the game a complete cakewalk so depending on how much your enjoying the challenge, use with caution.

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/241013-tales-of-vesperia-definitive-edition/77379819

Edit: oops just seen your edit, so yeah, sounds gamebreaking. I'll see how much the next few bosses frustrate me but anymore difficulty spikes like the last lad and I'd be tempted :D

skerry wrote: »
    The extra costumes are accessible in the game in the items screen just tab far right and add them. Just looked there and the adventurers pack gives you 900k Gald and according to the link below "900K free Gald and access to synthesis materials that will let you make 500+ attack power late game weapons". Apparently makes the game a complete cakewalk so depending on how much your enjoying the challenge, use with caution.

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/241013-tales-of-vesperia-definitive-edition/77379819

Edit: oops just seen your edit, so yeah, sounds gamebreaking. I'll see how much the next few bosses frustrate me but anymore difficulty spikes like the last lad and I'd be tempted :D

It would be a bit too easy though, one shotting mobs for the most part. Id just slap it on easy if ya wanna get by something..

Besides, if you have the best weapon early, it makes gold and every other item obsolete :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,135 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

There are a few optional monsters that kick your ass unless you are on easy mode in the first few hours of the game best tales game I've played love the few Easter egg odes to the previous games too.

Advertisement