Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are you playing, Nintendo edition.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,094 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

It dropped price last week for a day on amazon. I also get a discount on amazon.

If you have never played a ff would you be a big jrpg fan?. As there is a huge learning curve in the older ff. The newer ones you can pick up ans play

The only other JRPG I've played is Octopath Traveller and I really enjoyed it.

I'll keep an eye on Amazon. Cheers!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

TitianGerm wrote: »

Sure ya may aswell start with FF7 so, i picked it up on the switch in a sale for €10 not long ago, think its usually around €15, well worth your time.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Nicetrustedcup

TitianGerm wrote: »

Perfect octopath is more old school from my understanding.

Ff12 plays more like mmo with heavy learning but once you get the hang off it. It's a very fun game.
    nix wrote: »
    Sure ya may aswell start with FF7 so, i picked it up on the switch in a sale for €10 not long ago, think its usually around €15, well worth your time.

Plus 1 on this ff7 is a fantastic game at I think 20 years old now still plays amazing and the story is to. There is also ff9 and ff8 to.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Picked up Mr shifty on sale a while back, just gave it a go - it's fast, brutal and a lot of fun. (Like I remember the 2 levels of hotline Miami I could complete being but with teleporting)

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Wikidy

Enjoying Detective Pikachu. Very casual gaming.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,380 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Ff9 very underrated

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Ff9 very underrated

You may need the speed cheat enabled though because some of the lag on battles is horrible.

Calhoun wrote: »
    You may need the speed cheat enabled though because some of the lag on battles is horrible.

I played through it recently enough (on PC) and didnt notice any lag :confused:

And the reason that i said VII and not IX was in the interest of him playing VII, then VIII, then IX and then X (not X-2), anything after is well below par as far as im concerned :p

Oh and if Retro ever comments on VII, just know its a trick and he means the total opposite. :)

And the reason that i said VII and not IX was in the interest of him playing VII, then VIII, then IX and then X (not X-2), anything after is well below par as far as im concerned :p

Oh and if Retro ever comments on VII, just know its a trick and he means the total opposite. :)

I played it last week on the switch and its ****ing horrible.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I have never enjoyed a FF game, not one of them.
    Just can't get into them at all.

But that's probably true of most RPGs, certainly those with turn based or overly ornate combat systems.

Xenoblade Chronicles and it's sequels and spin-offs, I have most of them and got browned off during the opening missions.
    "Stick with it" they say, "The first 30 hours are just the tutorials"... bugger that!

• Advertisement

CiDeRmAn wrote: »

But that's probably true of most RPGs, certainly those with turn based or overly ornate combat systems.

Xenoblade Chronicles and it's sequels and spin-offs, I have most of them and got browned off during the opening missions.
    "Stick with it" they say, "The first 30 hours are just the tutorials"... bugger that!

Yeah when i first started with FF7 long ago, i recall not being particularly happy with the combat system, however the more familiar I got with the system the more enjoyable it became, and then you're pretty set for all similar systems from that point on, they just evolve a little but you would be much quicker on the uptake.

So you wouldnt need to put in that much time for all games of that type, and 30hrs seems like a major over exaggeration, for any game, you might still learn new tricks and such, but you will have the majority covered in the first few hours, its not like you will be scratching your head for 30 hours :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Well, if it isn't actually 30 hours it sure as hell feels like it!

I think there is enough variety and number of games both on the way and in my collection to mean I will never find myself reduced to playing a Final Fantasy game ever!

Dragon Quest on the otherhand, I would love to get the hang of those, DQVIII in particular, which I have on PS2 and 3DS... and got no where in :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭skerry

I was 78 hours into Xenoblade Chronicles 2 when I got my last tutorial pop-up :D
    In fairness, it was something related only to a mechanic that's introduced late on for story purposes. Fantastic game though. Combat system is daunting at first but its probably the best action JRPG combat system I've played. When it clicks its just pure awesomeness. Playing Torna at the moment and they've tweaked the system nicely which freshens it up after playing through the main game.

Well, if it isn't actually 30 hours it sure as hell feels like it!

I think there is enough variety and number of games both on the way and in my collection to mean I will never find myself reduced to playing a Final Fantasy game ever!

Dragon Quest on the otherhand, I would love to get the hang of those, DQVIII in particular, which I have on PS2 and 3DS... and got no where in :(

If you can play Dragon quest games you can play final fantasy I-X games, their systems are pretty much identical, from what ive played of DQXI anyway. Just how you equip/learn/obtain spells/abilities is what may differ.

But yeah if you have your plate full of other games you enjoy more off the bat, then have at it :)

I agree learning how a lot of games work can be a pain in the ass, but some of them can be a fun experience, once you get over certain hurdles.

I just bought my first Disgaea game (disgaea 5) and ive never played a game like it, so i know its gonna be a lot of work, just hope its more fluid and fun and less googling how to play it :D

If you can play Dragon quest games you can play final fantasy I-X games, their systems are pretty much identical, from what ive played of DQXI anyway. Just how you equip/learn/obtain spells/abilities is what may differ.

But yeah if you have your plate full of other games you enjoy more off the bat, then have at it :)

I agree learning how a lot of games work can be a pain in the ass, but some of them can be a fun experience, once you get over certain hurdles.

I just bought my first Disgaea game (disgaea 5) and ive never played a game like it, so i know its gonna be a lot of work, just hope its more fluid and fun and less googling how to play it :D

Picked up D5 a while ago myself, its very good. Haven't played it in a while, must get back to it. Was my first experience of a game like that too. Its great craic flinging towers of team mates around the map. Doesn't take itself too seriously but there's loads of depth to it and it can be as simple or as complex as you want to make it from what I've seen. Tutorials are pretty good too so you should find your feet quick enough. Great little game for handheld play too.

I need to make time, DQVIII is one of them that I've always wanted to get into, I love the style of it.
    I just have no patience for turn based battles.

I'm not enjoying FPS as much as I used to, same goes for racing games.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,088 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Back to Mario Maker 2. I think Luigi is giving Duck Hunt dog a run for his money on the "Ha ha, you suck" annoying smug face

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's not lag but the battles run at 15 fps and no way to speed it up as it's hard coded into the game code (although there's PC mods to overcome it)

Also the battles take forever to start, a hangover from the PS1 version where the camera panned around for a good 30 seconds before character and enemy models loaded in. It speeds up the game to skip that.

Eh, I think it's a great game and quite unique. Well worth playing but grossly over rated by people saying it's the best game of all time.

Everyone knows the secret best Final Fantasy is FF Tactics.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Also the battles take forever to start, a hangover from the PS1 version where the camera panned around for a good 30 seconds before character and enemy models loaded in. It speeds up the game to skip that.

This is a big problem on the switch, FF7 it wasn't as noticeable but FF9 its really bad.

I actually turned on the speed cheat when i knew there wasn't a plot point/story section otherwise it would have been torture to get through. At one stage i just turned off random battles to avoid it.

For the price point they are coming in at on the switch you think they would at least try and sort it out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Calhoun wrote: »
    This is a big problem on the switch, FF7 it wasn't as noticeable but FF9 its really bad.

I actually turned on the speed cheat when i knew there wasn't a plot point/story section otherwise it would have been torture to get through. At one stage i just turned off random battles to avoid it.

For the price point they are coming in at on the switch you think they would at least try and sort it out.

It's nothing to do with the Switch version. It's in all versions of the game and is hard coded into the source of the game. It gave the original playstation enough time to load in all the assets as there was a bigger strain on loading with the increased number of player and enemies characters in FF9 compared to FF7 and 8. The speed cheat is in there to try and alleviate this.

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It's nothing to do with the Switch version. It's in all versions of the game and is hard coded into the source of the game. It gave the original playstation enough time to load in all the assets as there was a bigger strain on loading with the increased number of player and enemies characters in FF9 compared to FF7 and 8. The speed cheat is in there to try and alleviate this.

Surprised they haven't come under more pressure , apparently they took allot of flack over the Chronotrigger version on steam.

Ff9 port is pretty accurate to the PS1 version and includes a speed hack. Chrono Trigger on steam meanwhile was utterly butchered.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Just finished Bloodstained last night, excellent game. Have a few side quests to finish (just on the last few items for those), then might do a check online for any secret areas I may have missed. Really enjoyed it.

Only time I noticed any input lag was when I was using the joycons while playing on the TV. The pro-controller seemed fine, joycons in portable mode also fine, but a bit of lag here and there when docked and using the joycons.

Must go back soon and play SotN, which I've never actually played and completed... But this has me hankering to play more.

Star Lord wrote: »
    Must go back soon and play SotN, which I've never actually played and completed...

Me Too!

I got a long way into it, back in the day on the Playstation...

Finished Bayonetta last night on the switch, done it on easy as i had got up until pretty much the end on normal when playing on the WiiU. But i just wanted to get through it and actually get to play bayonetta 2 :D

But eh yeah, such a quality game, so much game play variation, which i was not expecting and they really went above and beyond to keep the game fun and engaging throughout..

Makes me excited to jump into Bayonetta 2 to see what they've done with that :)

Although i may start Disgaea 5 first :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

nix wrote:
    Although i may start Disgaea 5 first

I started it on Monday. Terribly confused. So much dialog. Half naked teen demons everywhere. The characters are all super powerful and 1 hit killing all enemies, all attacks on them miss and their counter kills the attacker. Think I need to go back to something less intense like mutant year zero

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Have mostly been playing enter the gungeon the past while, but have got back into octopath traveller again the last few days. Hit a bit of a wall after all the chapter 1s, so found a guide for grinding quickly and ploughing into the 2nd chapters easily enough now. Would happily turn down the difficulty if possible though, not a fan of the grind.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Just spent about 3 hours playing Let's Go Pokemon, I got it at Christmas and spent days playing it for the first month or so but tonight was the first time I'd picked it up since, don't know why I stopped.

TPD wrote: »
    Have mostly been playing enter the gungeon the past while, but have got back into octopath traveller again the last few days. Hit a bit of a wall after all the chapter 1s, so found a guide for grinding quickly and ploughing into the 2nd chapters easily enough now. Would happily turn down the difficulty if possible though, not a fan of the grind.

I really enjoyed Octopath, I know it was a bit polarising and the structure of the chapters is very formulaic, but the battle system is great and so is the artstyle. Don't remember having to do too much grinding in it myself and I've got all characters to their 4th chapter (only finished one though). There's a fairly OP weapon you can get for H'aanit early in the game which helps. I think you have to start with H'aanit and Therion in your party though and you get the weapon in Alfyn's town (think its called the Golden Axe). Must get back and finish of the other chapter 4's. I did find battles do tend to go on a bit long later in the game though and I think that's whats putting me off getting back to finish them (that and a shameful backlog of games).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

skerry wrote: »
    I really enjoyed Octopath, I know it was a bit polarising and the structure of the chapters is very formulaic, but the battle system is great and so is the artstyle. Don't remember having to do too much grinding in it myself and I've got all characters to their 4th chapter (only finished one though). There's a fairly OP weapon you can get for H'aanit early in the game which helps. I think you have to start with H'aanit and Therion in your party though and you get the weapon in Alfyn's town (think its called the Golden Axe). Must get back and finish of the other chapter 4's. I did find battles do tend to go on a bit long later in the game though and I think that's whats putting me off getting back to finish them (that and a shameful backlog of games).

Yeah I got the golden axe for Haanit and the knowledge staff for Cyrus (?) and that improved things a lot. All my characters were around level 16-20 going into chapter 2, which didn't seem to be enough, so ground them to level 30. I'm enjoying the story more than the battles, jrpg mechanics never really clicked with me, unless you count pokemon.

Advertisement