Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are you playing, Nintendo edition.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

TPD wrote: »
    Yeah I got the golden axe for Haanit and the knowledge staff for Cyrus (?) and that improved things a lot. All my characters were around level 16-20 going into chapter 2, which didn't seem to be enough, so ground them to level 30. I'm enjoying the story more than the battles, jrpg mechanics never really clicked with me, unless you count pokemon.

Playing Haanit made me think I got some Pokemon mixed into my FF6. I should have got that axe, would have made her campaign less of a slog. Tried to get back into it a while back with no success, I think it's time I sold it as I'm not sure I'll go back to it.

Playing Assassin's Creed 3. It's... fine. I mean, the Ezio games were fantastic and if they came to Switch I'd buy them in a heartbeat but this is... okay. I find it harder and harder to get into it, I'm at the Connor bits now and the game is picking up pace, I just hope it can keep doing that. If I do veer away, I'll probably go back to playing My Friend Pedro :D

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Bought Chasm about a week ago and just finished it now.

Best Metroidvania I've played this year (including Bloodstained and Gato Roboto). It's standard Metroidvania - about 6 big biomes, castlevania-style map (with fast travel), backtracking/exploring, weapons, armour, accessories, shops, crafting, levelling up. Finding villagers will open up shops and quests in the hub/village. Some lovely music too.

It has procedurally generated maps, but they are seed based so stay static even if you die.
    Adds some nice replayabilty though as the maps are remixed for each new playthrough.

Challenging at the start (when you are weak and enemies can kill you with a few hits). Challenging at the end when enemies are tough (the last two biomes were a stiff challenge).

Finished on normal with just over 11h on the clock, 100% map and 100% villagers rescued.
    Finishing the game unlocks mortal mode (permadeath) and class mode (start as mage/thief/warrior with different starting stats and benefits).
    It also has achievements.

You might have guessed that I loved it. Put it on your watchlist at least. €17.99 in the eshop.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Chasm looks gorgeous but it came into a lot of Flak when released for being a bit half baked. Wonder if it's a changed game with a few months of updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

Been playing a good bit of Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 but getting to the point where i think im ready to trade it in. Been struggling with one boss for ages and not even dropping difficulty level is helping. I don't play these type of games too often so maybe im just not good at it. It's all just a bit too button mashy.
    CEX offering €38 cash and it only cost me €44 so was worth a try. Might put the cash towards Astral Chain instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,263 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

SUPERBEAT: XONiC: i don't know why the f*** i bought this, but at least it only cost me 80c

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Cotts72

Been playing a good bit of Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 but getting to the point where i think im ready to trade it in. Been struggling with one boss for ages and not even dropping difficulty level is helping. I don't play these type of games too often so maybe im just not good at it. It's all just a bit too button mashy.
    CEX offering €38 cash and it only cost me €44 so was worth a try. Might put the cash towards Astral Chain instead.

Which boss was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

manual_man wrote: »
    SUPERBEAT: XONiC: i don't know why the f*** i bought this, but at least it only cost me 80c

It's not bad, but man, it requires some co-ordination that seems to require genetic mutation that must have skipped me. That or I'm getting old! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Bought both Yoshi's Crafted World and Super Mario Maker 2 last week. Have only played the story mode of SMM2 so far but some pretty cool ideas in there.

Really enjoying Yoshi though. The art style looks brilliant on the TV screen and the sedate pace is good for unwinding at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,263 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

chrislad wrote: »
    It's not bad, but man, it requires some co-ordination that seems to require genetic mutation that must have skipped me. That or I'm getting old! :)

Pretty much sums up how I felt when trying to navigate just the tutorial :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

Was it
    Dormammu
    by any chance?

• Advertisement

Deano7788 wrote: »
    Was it
    Dormammu
    by any chance?

That's am awful bollocks of a boss fight! Took me a while

Was it
    Dormammu
    by any chance?

It was actually relatively early in the game, King Pin. I got within a whisker of beating him once but every other time im doing well if i get him down to 25% life left. Tried again last night, no joy. Trading it in on Friday i think and will try out Astral Chain instead.

It was actually relatively early in the game, King Pin. I got within a whisker of beating him once but every other time im doing well if i get him down to 25% life left. Tried again last night, no joy. Trading it in on Friday i think and will try out Astral Chain instead.

Jaysus I thought that was one of the easier ones!

Cotts72 wrote: »
    Jaysus I thought that was one of the easier ones!

Its probably just me. I was enjoying the game up to this point but for whatever reason I just can't progress any further. I'm sure if I could get past it I'd start enjoying it again. Can't remember playing this type of game before so I'm probably just rubbish at it.
    At least I'm only losing €6 on it. Was worth a punt at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

I found Kingpin relatively ok, my first real difficulty was with the one I mentioned. I finished the game a few weeks ago and that was definitely the hardest for me; there was a massive difficulty spike for it where I had to go grind Infinity Warp challenges to level up further for it. There was a noticeable increase in the latter part of the game compared to prior to this fight but that was definitely the difficulty peak for me.

In that case if I'm already struggling in the early parts it's only gonna get worse the further I progress. Definitely time to bow out.

I found Kingpin relatively ok, my first real difficulty was with the one I mentioned. I finished the game a few weeks ago and that was definitely the hardest for me; there was a massive difficulty spike for it where I had to go grind Infinity Warp challenges to level up further for it. There was a noticeable increase in the latter part of the game compared to prior to this fight but that was definitely the difficulty peak for me.

Yeah that's the downside,you literally have to retain the 4 heroes and keep levelling. It's near impossible to level up a hero from earlier in the game !

I'll see it through alright as I'm enjoying the storyline but defo have astral chain on my sights

• Registered Users Posts: 18,135 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Fire Emblem it is very challenging but very very enjoyable distraction from Zelda.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Finally getting stuck in to Grandia HD. Grandia 2 was brilliant but I'd never played 1. Pretty simple going so far, don't think it will take too long to get through.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Gave super hot a go. Good fun but that elevator was a pain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Banjo wrote: »
    Gave super hot a go. Good fun but that elevator was a pain.

There's no one way to do it, but personally I found the easiest way there was to punch all three first, grab one of the guns, then get shooting and dodging!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Star Lord wrote: »
    There's no one way to do it, but personally I found the easiest way there was to punch all three first, grab one of the guns, then get shooting and dodging!

Sounds like the launch of Ocarina of Time on the N64!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

I punch the one on the left, shoot the one on the right, jump over lefty then punch the middle guy, shoot lefty, shoot middle guy and get out of the way of the shotgun blasts.
    I just wish the play-back at the end was 3rd person and cleaned up so it looked like I was more stylish than I am - that sounds a lot more balletic than it looks :D
    I like how they've made a plot out of there being no plot. master-stroke. It's like Seinfeld if Kramer was a homicidal maniac in a world full of skinny Newmans.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,398 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Been playing the Dragon Quest XI demo the last while, huge it is. Says I've put over 10 hours into it so far, fair play to them for making it so generous. Or else they want to make sure I buy the full game so as not to lose my progress. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Wow, didn't realise it was so big. I'd put a bit of time into it, lost the save with the transfer to new switch. Not sure if I can put myself back into doing it all again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Pikuniku is an odd ball little game, but it is a joy to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,135 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Tried Daemon X Machina prologue, not a fan it's like a PS1 game not at all what I expected, definitely put me off getting the game until it's sub €30 and even then I doubt I'll enjoy it.

I loved Front Mission and Armoured Core 20 years ago but this just seems dated

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭nedd

I’m playing Link to the Past SNES game in the Switch. Loving it. It has been so long since I played it last, it’s like the first time around. So much to do and loads of dungeons.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Tried Daemon X Machina prologue, not a fan it's like a PS1 game not at all what I expected, definitely put me off getting the game until it's sub €30 and even then I doubt I'll enjoy it.

I loved Front Mission and Armoured Core 20 years ago but this just seems dated

Personally I'm thoroughly enjoying it. Has got a big Armored Core heart in it imo. So many customisation options though, almost too many. Enjoyed the gameplay a lot though. The train mission nearly broke my heart until figured out a tactic for it.

• Advertisement

nedd wrote: »
    I’m playing Link to the Past SNES game in the Switch. Loving it. It has been so long since I played it last, it’s like the first time around. So much to do and loads of dungeons.

Im playing it for the first time. Really enjoying it.

Advertisement