Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are you playing, Nintendo edition.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭conormario

Yep. Go goose! It's a well designed game and a change from the norm.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,094 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Cuphead.

I played this on PC and Xbox when it launched and got a decent way through but stopped playing as I got distracted by other games. Picked it up on Switch two weeks ago and although I'm only a few levels in I'm loving it in handheld mode.

I love the music and art style. It just plays so well and great way to spend 30 minutes when herself is watching the soaps.

The one suggestion I have is switch the dash and shoot button to the shoulder buttons. Makes the game feel a little easier to control.

Every Switch owner should give this game a go. Same with Ori actually.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Finally finished my first run of Fire Emblem with Blue Lions. 51 hours!

Time for Links Awakening now and Astral Chain!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

safetyboy wrote: »
    Dragon quest 11 has the most annoying english in it, "go on .. tough little blighters arent they"

turned it off after 10 mins

I agree mostly, it felt like i was playing a game to a childrens TV show with some of the voices, the two sisters got under my skin, Erik too but he wasnt as bad. You get use to them though and it doesnt annoy you at all.

Then some accents were great, Sylvando for instance, nearly everything he said had me chuckling.. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭rejkin

30 hours into Divinity Original Sin 2 and have to it would be my nomination for game of the year.
    It's crazy how much depth the side quests and NPC's can have by just talking to them.
    The battles are really great too, they are definitely difficult but there is so much ways to approach them that it feels great when you get to think outside the box on how to approach each enemy.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,274 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I finished the first one recently enough, looking forward to playing the second one. Not one I'll be playing on switch though I reckon but the synced saves with steam is cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Can you play DOS 2 without playing 1?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

fixxxer wrote: »
    Can you play DOS 2 without playing 1?

Yes, there are story links to 1 in terms of general vibe of the game universe but otherwise it's self contained.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭skerry

I've tried getting into DoS 1 on Xbox but finding it hard so far. Only in the opening area but spend more time googling what I'm supposed to be doing than playing the game. Really wanted to get into it cos going by reviews it seems a great RPG. Anyone know if they made 2 a bit more user friendly?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,274 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

skerry wrote: »
    I've tried getting into DoS 1 on Xbox but finding it hard so far. Only in the opening area but spend more time googling what I'm supposed to be doing than playing the game. Really wanted to get into it cos going by reviews it seems a great RPG. Anyone know if they made 2 a bit more user friendly?

Yeah 1 is not very good at letting you know what you're supposed to be doing exactly, it's very easy to end up doing things out of order or ending up in an area that's too high level for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭skerry

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Yeah 1 is not very good at letting you know what you're supposed to be doing exactly, it's very easy to end up doing things out of order or ending up in an area that's too high level for you.

I had seen stories online of people finding out after 20hrs play that they messed up their character and having to start again. Spent ages on the character builder then but no idea if what I did was right or wrong. Just got weary from agonizing over every decision. Gamplay itself was enjoyable when I wasn't googling what to do next.

Is DoS2 any bit more forgiving, I think I read somewhere they have pre-made character classes you can choose from now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭conormario

Yoshi's Island SNES online
    I know the rewind feature is cheating, but I don't have time to replay the mistimed jump.
    Great game. Looks, plays and sounds lovely.

Finished untitled goose game, really enjoyable.

Moving onto FF8 before hitting up Astral Chain, i know i should play it the other way around as i have played FF8 countless times but its one of my repeat every few year games and its time.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Finished Dragon Quest XI demo this evening. Went straight online to order the full game. Damn you, Nintendo. *shakes fist*

Only about 7 hours for the demo though. I was hoping for 10!

Mr E wrote: »
    Only about 7 hours for the demo though. I was hoping for 10!

For a demo that is amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

No argument here. By the time the intro credits had run (after 90 minutes), I knew I was getting the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

Its a good game to have on the switch, you can do the grinding for gear or leveling up while watching a twitch stream. Love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Played a bit of Untitled Goose Game last night as a small break from Link's Awakening.

Interesting game but don't think my mind works like a goose as I had to look up how to do some of the earliest tasks!

Think I'll finish out Link's Awakening before going back to give UGG a proper go.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Played a bit of Untitled Goose Game last night as a small break from Link's Awakening.

Interesting game but don't think my mind works like a goose as I had to look up how to do some of the earliest tasks!

Think I'll finish out Link's Awakening before going back to give UGG a proper go.

I hit that problem at first when I was trying to treat it as GTA But You're A Goose. A better way to think of it is Hitman But You're A Goose i.e. spend a bit of time figuring out the routines of the people in the area, and seeing how they react to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Just finished Fire Emblem - 80 hours and two different play-throughs - great game.

Time for something much shorter and less involved, so I've just started Dragon Quest XI.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭pasta-solo

Recently finished;

Untitled Goose Game - Great fun, and just the perfect length at about five hours. Smiled the whole way through. The Hitman reference above is spot on.

Links Awakening - Loved it! Never finished the GB original, so was very surprised by the ending. Never felt difficult, but enjoyed the entire experience.

Ori demo - Amazing, and will certainly be picking up the full game. Gorgeous game, and the controls feel perfect.

Mario Maker 2 Single Player - Some genius levels, and love that they were a mix of classic styles while being completely new level designs/ideas.

Working through;

Jedi Outcast - Just got the lightsaber, so this is about to become a lot more fun. That said, I enjoyed the opening few levels after switching to easy difficulty and 4:3 mode, feels more nostalgic like that as that's how I played it years ago. Motion controls help recreate the feeling of mouse-aiming too.

Next Up;

Sayonara Wild Hearts - Super excited for this. Have been listening to the soundtrack album for the last two weeks, and, oh boy, is it good! I always felt Year Walk was a very underrated Wii U game, and this is the same developers, so very excited to play.

Dragon Quest 11 demo - Not sure if I'll be into this, and kind of afraid I will be as I don't want to get into a looooong RPG, but since the demo is so generous, and the game's been getting a lot of praise, I'll give it a go.

Had been looking forward to Doom Eternal, but happy to wait until next year. May try The Witcher if the reviews are happy with the port. Love how varied and interesting the Switch library is. Hard to think back to the Wii U days, times have certainly changed!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

That opening sequence to Ori. Forgot about all the feels.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,398 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

That opening sequence to Ori. Forgot about all the feels.

Tis a good one alright. Actually speaking of opening sequences with feels - a 100% playthrough video of The Last of Us popped up on my YT feed yesterday for some reason - just watched the intro but jeez it's a good one too.

Still playing DQXI on Switch - currently 28 hrs in and came up against the first difficult opponent,
    Tentacular
    . Even with the
    canon
    he's tough. Was only level 18 at the time so went off grinding some levels and will try him again later. I usually don't stick with games this long so it must be doing something right. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Currently playing Darksiders 2. Fourth time lucky, and I may actually finish it this time, as I'm getting near the endgame now. I don't know if I'll bother with the DLC. Honestly, it's not as good as the first one, losing a bit of coherence for the sake of an open world. Performance is okay on the Switch, but the wayfinder (ie your crow, Dusk) seems to be broken on the Switch, and there's some loading between areas and opening some doors. If Darksiders 3 is ported, which I doubt, I'd probably give it a miss, as this was a Wii U game, and it's really badly optimised here.

After that, I must finish Ori, and Untitled Goose Game. I have a number of others to get through, time permitting too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Tis a good one alright. Actually speaking of opening sequences with feels - a 100% playthrough video of The Last of Us popped up on my YT feed yesterday for some reason - just watched the intro but jeez it's a good one too.

I'm still raw from TLOU.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Started a very cheap Rogue Aces last night. I can't see it lasting long, as I doubt it has much left to show after the first 5 minutes.... But while extremely repetitive, it's fun. Like an angry Choplifter.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'm still banking on a lot of later Cave/Raizing/Eighting shooters making their way to the Switch.
    Progear and Ibara would be just.... sublime

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Really need to get me a flipgrip. The Switch is a treasure trove of old school gaming despite Nintendo's best efforts to not make an effort.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,398 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Really need to get me a flipgrip. The Switch is a treasure trove of old school gaming despite Nintendo's best efforts to not make an effort.

A proper arcade stick and a rotated display is the only way to play them tbh. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Andrew76 wrote: »
    A proper arcade stick and a rotated display is the only way to play them tbh. ;)

Real life has caught up with me and I've gone to the dark side unfortunately.

Advertisement