Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are you playing, Nintendo edition.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I'm approaching the end of my time in Super Mario Odyssey (a few kingdoms to finish up in terms of purple coins and a few last power moons to get, but they're mainly race/challenge ones I can't be arsed with because they're not particularly fun), unless I suddenly find Dark and Darker Sides compelling instead of just harder than I want my Mario levels. It's been bloody brilliant, though, there's something about a good Mario game that just puts a smile on your face :)

Think I'm going to start chipping away at Fast RMX next - probably alternating with the remainder of Untitled Goose Game when I need something a bit slower-paced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭conormario

Fysh wrote: »
    I'm approaching the end of my time in Super Mario Odyssey (a few kingdoms to finish up in terms of purple coins and a few last power moons to get, but they're mainly race/challenge ones I can't be arsed with because they're not particularly fun), unless I suddenly find Dark and Darker Sides compelling instead of just harder than I want my Mario levels. It's been bloody brilliant, though, there's something about a good Mario game that just puts a smile on your face :)

Think I'm going to start chipping away at Fast RMX next - probably alternating with the remainder of Untitled Goose Game when I need something a bit slower-paced.

Get Mario Maker 2 for the ultimate Mario fix! The old 2d games look wonderful in it and still play the same (i.e. fantastic), but now in HD and all the switch bells and whistles. Plus fantastic 8 bit and 16 bit sprites ... just magic. Super Mario 3d World translates perfectly over to 2D and the music is just gorgeous.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

conormario wrote: »
    Get Mario Maker 2 for the ultimate Mario fix! The old 2d games look wonderful in it and still play the same (i.e. fantastic), but now in HD and all the switch bells and whistles. Plus fantastic 8 bit and 16 bit sprites ... just magic. Super Mario 3d World translates perfectly over to 2D and the music is just gorgeous.

Makes me yearn for Super Mario 3D World Deluxe on the Switch!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,135 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Gone back to Radiant Historia perfect chronology on my 3ds gotten miffed playing Pokemon Sword love the music in Radiant Historia stuck on one or two of the battles against the spiders they're difficult to overcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭skerry

Finished Mario Odyssey there. Had played it a bit last Christmas but never got back to it until this week. After you finish main campaign is there much worth doing apart from tracking down obscurely placed power moons?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭pasta-solo

skerry wrote: »
    Finished Mario Odyssey there. Had played it a bit last Christmas but never got back to it until this week. After you finish main campaign is there much worth doing apart from tracking down obscurely placed power moons?

If I remember correctly, new moons arrive in each level when you return after finishing the story. I remember enjoying those even more than the first go around, they were a bit tricker and satisfying to collect. I think once you get 500 you can unlock the final level, which is very difficult but fun! Could be remembering that wrong though, it's been a while.

pasta-solo wrote: »
    If I remember correctly, new moons arrive in each level when you return after finishing the story. I remember enjoying those even more than the first go around, they were a bit tricker and satisfying to collect. I think once you get 500 you can unlock the final level, which is very difficult but fun! Could be remembering that wrong though, it's been a while.

Sound, was debating trading it but will give post game moon collectathon a go and see if it holds my interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,794 ✭✭✭sweetie

Playing away at Yooka laylee and the imposible lair. really fun, well made little platformer, a touch derivative of many others (zelda, DK, Rayman etc.) but impossible to not like or put down!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Sound, was debating trading it but will give post game moon collectathon a go and see if it holds my interest.

It's a game you can finish and then a few months later pick it back up again and play from the start. I'm a fiend for trading in games and Mario is one of the few that I know I'll play again and again.

Speaking of which, traded in Pokemon Sword, grand game just not enough for me. Got the Lego Harry Potter games and having a blast, near the end of the second year now. Really upping the ante for me for the Lego Star Wars game but that's next March/April so aaaaages away.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Rhyme wrote: »
    It's a game you can finish and then a few months later pick it back up again and play from the start. I'm a fiend for trading in games and Mario is one of the few that I know I'll play again and again.

Speaking of which, traded in Pokemon Sword, grand game just not enough for me. Got the Lego Harry Potter games and having a blast, near the end of the second year now. Really upping the ante for me for the Lego Star Wars game but that's next March/April so aaaaages away.

I picked up Lego Jurassic World for the same reason. John Williams music will tide me over until the next Star Wars Lego game next year!

• Advertisement

Might hang on to it for a bit so. I was toying with the idea of trading it and picking up Mario Kart 8. Had doubts about picking up MK8 as I would mainly be playing solo but I've been enjoying dipping in and out of MK7 on the 2DS I picked up last week so thinking it might be handy to have the Switch version.

Might hang on to it for a bit so. I was toying with the idea of trading it and picking up Mario Kart 8. Had doubts about picking up MK8 as I would mainly be playing solo but I've been enjoying dipping in and out of MK7 on the 2DS I picked up last week so thinking it might be handy to have the Switch version.

Your own situation will dictate what you're interested in too. I used to hoard party games for having people over, Mario Party, YDKJ, Mario Kart etc when I was younger but now some of our group have kids so not as much social gaming, more board games actually and my gaming has turned into a 'dip in' thing so Mario is perfect as I can pick it up, get a few moons and then put it down again, same with Zelda. More strategy games, indie stuff and quick fun stuff. Anything with a complex story will just have to wait :)

I thought Pokemon would be perfect for me but it, as a game, hasn't grown in a way that appeals to me. The next iteration might be just the thing, just in time for my kid to get interested alongside me.

I think I'll get that Jurassic World game next. I can see it has JP1, 2 and 3 built in, wa-hey!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

I thought Pokemon would be perfect for me but it, as a game, hasn't grown in a way that appeals to me. The next iteration might be just the thing,

Heh, pretty sure most people who play Pokemon have been thinking that for years, especially with sword/shield, but nope :):(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I've played a bit of The Touryst over the last couple of evenings, what a lovely game!
    It looks just lovely and so smoothly, and the gameplay is just perfect.
    I'm only on the third island and really enjoying it.
    It's hard to keep my attention at the best of times, but this will hopefully be one of those that pulls it off!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I've played a bit of The Touryst over the last couple of evenings, what a lovely game!
    It looks just lovely and so smoothly, and the gameplay is just perfect.
    I'm only on the third island and really enjoying it.
    It's hard to keep my attention at the best of times, but this will hopefully be one of those that pulls it off!

Yeah, Digital Foundry did a great video on it, and how Shinen create fantastically stable games (one game aside) and their engines are rock solid.

It looks like the gorgeous love-child of Minecraft and Links Awakening, with the voxel blocky graphics, gorgeous lighting and tilt-shift effect that doesn't send the frame-rate plummeting.

Love that focus thing, and frame rate never meant anything to me until this jewel of a game, very nice indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Frame rate generally doesn't bother me, apart from when it's too variable, that juddery-ness you can get in some games does detract from the presentation. Doesn't ruin it unless it's really bad, but it can be jarring... like the Lost Woods bit of Breath Of The Wild, being the one real noticeable bit in that game.

But yeah, The Touryst is great in that it's charming, beautiful, and fun to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Started into Zelda: Wind Waker HD on my Wii U last night.

Having recently bought a Switch Lite, I plan on playing Zelda Link's Awakening over Xmas, but the Wind Waker will be my go-to for an hour's session each night when in bed.

I bought the Wii U back in 2015 which was the Wind Waker bundle, but to be honest I played it very little. The Switch Lite has reminded me how good Nintendo games are, so the PS4 will go unplayed for a while ;)

mrcheez wrote: »
    Started into Zelda: Wind Waker HD on my Wii U last night.

Having recently bought a Switch Lite, I plan on playing Zelda Link's Awakening over Xmas, but the Wind Waker will be my go-to for an hour's session each night when in bed.

I bought the Wii U back in 2015 which was the Wind Waker bundle, but to be honest I played it very little. The Switch Lite has reminded me how good Nintendo games are, so the PS4 will go unplayed for a while ;)

Fantastic game that. If it graced the Switch, I'd be there, day 1.

Just finishing up the Lego Harry Potter games and then moving onto Call of Juarez, really enjoyed it on the PC when it first came out so portable gunslinging should sort me out for another week :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Speaking of Call of Juarez, I see that it is €15.84 if you live in South Africa. I have a South African account set up on my Switch but have never bought anything from the eStore. Could someone explain how to do it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Had a good couch co-op (switch) session with my girlfriend last night. :)

Played some Heave Ho first. Thought it would be more fun. Gave up in frustration a couple of levels into the second batch. Might be more fun with 4 players, I don't know.

I had a game called Not Not in my library from a sale (99c I think). Surprisingly fun and competitive.

Tricky Towers was a bigger success. Again, probably better with more than 2 though.

Then we played Untitled Goose Game for an hour. Even though it's one player, it was fun to brainstorm puzzle solutions. :o

Doodah7 wrote: »
    Speaking of Call of Juarez, I see that it is €15.84 if you live in South Africa. I have a South African account set up on my Switch but have never bought anything from the eStore. Could someone explain how to do it?

You can just add your irish card to your SA account. It'll work perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,088 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Mr E wrote: »

Played some Heave Ho first. Thought it would be more fun. Gave up in frustration a couple of levels into the second batch. Might be more fun with 4 players, I don't know.

I had a game called Not Not in my library from a sale (99c I think). Surprisingly fun and competitive.

Tricky Towers was a bigger success. Again, probably better with more than 2 though.

Then we played Untitled Goose Game for an hour. Even though it's one player, it was fun to brainstorm puzzle solutions. :o

So much innuendo in that post

• Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Mr E wrote: »

This may help me out.

I'm looking for the best co-op/multiplayer games for myself and my wife, I've never played a smash bros game and not really a fan of fighting games since Soul Blade all those years ago.

Gonna pick up Mario and Sonic Olympics over the weekend but what else do people recommend? I already have Mario Kart

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

This may help me out.

I'm looking for the best co-op/multiplayer games for myself and my wife, I've never played a smash bros game and not really a fan of fighting games since Soul Blade all those years ago.

Gonna pick up Mario and Sonic Olympics over the weekend but what else do people recommend? I already have Mario Kart

SnipperClips and Super Mario Bros U Deluxe are both good for co-op multiplayer. Super Mario Odyssey also has a co-op mode where one player controls Cappy (the hat) and the other player controls Mario.

Super Mario Party is fun, but I'd wait to get it on sale if possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

Shovel knight king knight. Like the different controll mechanics for this one. Hate the ****in
    in game card game tho ugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Picked up This is the Police 2 in Gamestop for a tenner. New on a cart too. It is pretty good. Most of it is managing resources and personnel, ensuring you have enough cops on shift and you have the right equipment, you send the right cops to handle the right jobs.

Then the jobs you usually get a scenario and three options. What you chose impacts the outcome. For example i had a choice to chase a robber who ran down an alley. I hit drive after him instead of run after him or shoot him. And the car couldn't fit down the alley and he escaped.

Then you have big jobs, armed robberies etc. These are played like xcom. Move and action points.

Played about 4 hours this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Anyone playing Baldur’s Gate, planescape, never winter on the switch?

I've an itch to play them all again and trying to see if its worth it...

Have a read of this review of Neverwinter Nights. Doesn't sound great.

https://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/nintendo-switch/neverwinter_nights_enhanced_edition

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Baldurs Gate got fairly decent reviews, if I recall.

Advertisement