Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are you playing, Nintendo edition.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

Anyone been playing Bloodstained? I've been looking at this for XB1 for ages but I just got a Switch so i'm tempted but I heard there were issues with the Switch.

Is this still the case since patches etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I'd played and finished it on the Switch. There were a few graphical issues, but fairly minor tbh. Some backgrounds didn't show when characters were talking. Some murky textures. Small amount of framerate issues in areas with a lot going on.

I still found it very playable, and didn't have too much issue with the reported input lag, and I'd played both handheld and docked.

From the email updates (for Kickstarter backers) they had made some great improvements, though I've not replayed since those were released, so can't comment too much on the effect they've had!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭skerry

evad_lhorg wrote: »
    Anyone been playing Bloodstained? I've been looking at this for XB1 for ages but I just got a Switch so i'm tempted but I heard there were issues with the Switch.

Do you have Game Pass, pretty sure its still up there to download?

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭bigphil2

Just Started FFVII for the first time ever.. i got it for Playstation when it forst came out but just couldnt get into it.. Played an hour of it last night and im All in!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,094 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

evad_lhorg wrote: »

It's €27 in Argos at the minute.

Product code is 130/2336.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I made some time to try out the most recent Qubic Games freebies, as the last few have been the ones I was interested in.

Wreckin' Ball Adventure - not bad as puzzle/platformers go. There's a physicsy element to it that I haven't yet got the hang of in terms of how the ball's momentum works for jumping, but I'll go back to it and see how I get on. A couple of details around the setup seem to be trying to hint at a Portal-type testing chamber setup, so we'll see if that goes anywhere.

Koloro - my favourite so far, and the one that is most clearly worth getting in its own right. It has an appealing visual style, simple controls and a neat approach to platforming that reminds me of games like BoxBoy + BoxGirl, Soundshapes or parts of Braid. It's not Super Meatboy-level hard, but it does expect a certain level of precision and gets that balance right so that it's neither too easy nor too hard.

#RaceDieRun - I've played maybe 20 minutes of this, and thus far it's somewhat disappointing. The setup is akin to games like Distance or Race The Sun, but the controls don't feel slick or responsive enough to me (particularly the lateral dash, which will obviously become vital in later levels). Possibly it gets better, or maybe it's more responsive over a wired controller, but I don't hold out a lot of hope for it.

(I didn't bother trying Colouring Book or Puzzle Book as they both looked like shovelware, Robonauts I had already tried the demo of and thought it was OK and worth a punt for free, and One Strike I found to be a disappointingly shallow also-ran version of one-hit fighting games like Divekick or Lethal League).

Rekt is free tomorrow and I may take a punt on that, but based on the Qubic games I've tried so far - I also paid for Super Hero Fight Club Reloaded and Brawl in the past - I'm not holding my breath...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,887 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Dragon Quest XI, nearly 60 hours so far and still going. amazing game. Mario Maker 2 and Pokemon Shield still in their plastic, not opening till I finish Dragon Quest.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Remembering how much I loved Black Flag. Plays like a dream in portable, still has some of the AC control issues but it’s still a lot of fun. I’ve never played Rogue yet I can’t not play Black Flag.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,135 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Back on Ni No Kuni its proper tidy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

Football Manger 20. Haven't played one of these games in years. Taking charge of Newcastle in a bid to keep them up. One match into the season I can already see it's gonna be a tall order.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Football Manger 20. Haven't played one of these games in years. Taking charge of Newcastle in a bid to keep them up. One match into the season I can already see it's gonna be a tall order.

How does it run on the switch? Is it fast or is there long load times?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,887 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Still playing Dragon Quest XI, some seriously tough boss fights after 60 hours in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭safetyboy

Still BOTW, tried the witcher but its like controlling a goat and its constant loading scenes.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Starting into Link's Awakening while I'm away over the hols, but also still in middle of Windwaker on my WiiU while at home. Hopefully having two Zeldas on the brain at once means they complement each other ;)

DeSelby83 wrote: »
    How does it run on the switch? Is it fast or is there long load times?

Initial load time when starting a new game was long, over a minute I feel. But this only happens once so not a big deal. Saving your game takes about 20 seconds. Any time you're about to go into a matchday mode it takes about 20 seconds. Other than that it's very snappy, whenever you click continue to advance the days it flies through them. Im already about 14 games into a season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭skerry

Picked up Into the Breach with Gold Points the other day. Really enjoying it so far. Nice little pick up and play strategy game. Some interesting mechanics too.

Between that and Radiant Historia on the 2DS, the other consoles aren't getting a look in :)

Has anyone on here any first hand experience of playing assassins creed 3 on switch? It's less than €15 on eshop and im tempted but I know it didn't review well when first released. Have any patches been released to improve the game?
    Would prefer Black Flag but not willing to pay €50 for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭nintendoo

Super Mario Maker 2 story mode. Just mopping up the 3 star difficulty levels before hitting the 4 star ones.

Honestly, I think the story mode levels are my favourite Super Mario 2d levels ever ...

think it's the pure video game no nonsense fun plus some really clever level design plus 60 FPS full screen Mario fun plus timeless music ... plus the mixture of different Mario versions plus plus plus

Also just did a brilliant user designed Zelda puzzle level ... love the arrows and bombs

Yes ... thought the series was dead after new super mario u deluxe zzz , but they have ressurected it here, and then some!

How is Ori and the blind forest (it's on sale)? Tried the demo ...seemed a bit dark and depressing .... Does it improve or continue in the same vein ...

nintendoo wrote: »
    How is Ori and the blind forest (it's on sale)? Tried the demo ...seemed a bit dark and depressing .... Does it improve or continue in the same vein ...

Ha, just downloading it, 11.50.after some.gold point deduction ..Something to keep me busy for a while ...

MS game on a Nintendo box!
    I am sure there will be some crossover to Xbox from Nintendo for this, cuphead and Minecraft.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,094 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

nintendoo wrote: »

It's brilliant. An absolute gem of a game.

Edit: Cuphead is great as well. It is difficult but it's beautifully designed and the art style is gorgeous.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    It's brilliant. An absolute gem of a game.

Super! Looking forward to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Has anyone on here any first hand experience of playing assassins creed 3 on switch? It's less than €15 on eshop and im tempted but I know it didn't review well when first released. Have any patches been released to improve the game?
    Would prefer Black Flag but not willing to pay €50 for it.

I was a huge fan of the Ezio trilogy so when 3 appeared on the Switch as the first Assassin's Creed game to do so, I jumped. I got a few hours in and haven't gone back to it. It's... not great. Maybe there are fans of it out there and maybe I'll go back to it in the future. I think Black Flag is 40e in Smyths if that makes a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Just finished The Touryst. Lovely looking game and really well made but has some annoying sections. But overall i enjoyed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭pasta-solo

Just finished The Touryst. Lovely looking game and really well made but has some annoying sections. But overall i enjoyed it.

Been working through it, and while it's got some incredible stuff going on, some of the platforming sections are headwrecking! Will see it through to the end, but it's a real shame those sections are making it a chore.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Rhyme wrote: »
    I was a huge fan of the Ezio trilogy so when 3 appeared on the Switch as the first Assassin's Creed game to do so, I jumped. I got a few hours in and haven't gone back to it. It's... not great. Maybe there are fans of it out there and maybe I'll go back to it in the future. I think Black Flag is 40e in Smyths if that makes a difference.

Agreed. Get Black Flag. That compilation is miles better. Assassins Creed 3 needs about 10 hours before it becomes a good game and AC4 basically takes all that crap away and is a great game within an hour. I’m about 15 hours into the Switch version and it’s a beautiful port. I’ve not touched Rogue yet but it cannot possibly be worse than Liberation that comes with AC3.

Thanks for the advice guys. Black Flag it is. Played an hour or 2 of it on xbox but dropped off it. Was a big fan of it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,135 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Bought Final Fantasy IX never got very far on the PS1 version looking forward to seeing if it's any good

• Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

pasta-solo wrote: »
    Been working through it, and while it's got some incredible stuff going on, some of the platforming sections are headwrecking! Will see it through to the end, but it's a real shame those sections are making it a chore.

The mines are a nightmare, i realised after doing them you don't need to do them at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭pasta-solo

The mines are a nightmare, i realised after doing them you don't need to do them at all.

That's good to know, just started them today and was not enjoying them. Will just skip it and move on.

Advertisement