Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are you playing, Nintendo edition.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

My opinion on bloodstained, if you can get it on another system do. Otherwise you have a buggy switch vèrsion. But it is playable

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Going to try the Dragon Quest demo. If it grips, I’ll take the bite on the sale price.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I saw that Feather is discounted so picked it up - it's a nice relaxing game, sort of like what you might get if you took Flower and filtered it through the visual presentation of Proteus. Happily I like both those games, so am enjoying just flying around enjoying the scenery.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Finally started Fire Emblem: 3 houses. Looks pretty engaging so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭_Godot_

And here I am with just 221 in my backlog, I'm still spoiled for choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭skerry

Anyone here playing Baba is You? Tempted to pick it up but I hear its gets very tough after not too long. I'm afraid it might make me feel thick :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

skerry wrote: »
    Anyone here playing Baba is You? Tempted to pick it up but I hear its gets very tough after not too long. I'm afraid it might make me feel thick :)

It's a fantastic game but it does get demanding later.
    I'd say get it anyway, it's amazing and when those tricky levels click it's a great sense of achievement.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭skerry

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    It's a fantastic game but it does get demanding later.
    I'd say get it anyway, it's amazing and when those tricky levels click it's a great sense of achievement.

Cool, I might pick it up so, doesn't seem to go on sale very often.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

skerry wrote: »
    Cool, I might pick it up so, doesn't seem to go on sale very often.

There's an early gamejam version of it available for free here - you could try that out and see how you get on with the game before buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Finally motivated myself to start on Ring Fit Adventure after getting it for Christmas...

Definitely not in any kind of shape at the moment but the way the exercise works definitely drives you on when it starts to get tiring.

Now back to Yooka Laylee and the Impossible Lair which I also got for Christmas but have put a decent amount of time into already.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭nintendoo

Ori and the blind forest. I was tired, so I couldn't figure out an obvious path in the game, so looked it up on YouTube. Now I just feel stupid!

Hate that!!

Tried it for a change with the Wii U pro controller and the magic NS adapter. Works fine. Nice option to have.

Just finished Ori and the blind forest.
    Wonderful game from start to finish.
    Lovely story, characters, art, music.
    Tight, smooth, well desiged platforming fun.
    It's challenging in places, but the game trains you so well.
    Great momentum of progression and achievements.
    Instant restart, infinite lives, player friendly !
    Technically great with 60 FPS, no hiccups, fast, smooth action. Quick loading times. All on Unity engine.
    From the credits it looks like the Unity team were heavily involved too.
    Great value, especially if you get it on sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,094 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

nintendoo wrote: »
    Just finished Ori and the blind forest.
    Wonderful game from start to finish.
    Lovely story, characters, art, music.
    Tight, smooth, well desiged platforming fun.
    It's challenging in places, but the game trains you so well.
    Great momentum of progression and achievements.
    Instant restart, infinite lives, player friendly !
    Technically great with 60 FPS, no hiccups, fast, smooth action. Quick loading times. All on Unity engine.
    From the credits it looks like the Unity team were heavily involved too.
    Great value, especially if you get it on sale.

It's a super game. One of my favorite Xbox games of this gen. Can't wait for the sequel now :)

The music is brilliant. It really sets the tone for the game.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    It's a super game. One of my favorite Xbox games of this gen. Can't wait for the sequel now :)

The music is brilliant. It really sets the tone for the game.

Sequel supposed to be a lot more expansive with side quests, better combat and boses. Trailers look good. Wonder will it appear on the Switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

I tried the demo of Ori on my Switch Lite and almost went blind looking at the tiny sprites. Shame as it's one I really wanted.

mrcheez wrote: »
    I tried the demo of Ori on my Switch Lite and almost went blind looking at the tiny sprites. Shame as it's one I really wanted.

I played it docked on a 32 inch monitor with a pro controller. Looks and plays great.

I can imagine it would be awkward in handheld. It was ported from a "docked" console (Xbox) after all.

Now that you mention it, the sprites are on the small size and really are not up to the quality of the environment.

Having said that, there are a lot of sequences that require you to navigate a large environment quickly with some special abilities. it changes the game from a platformer to something completely different.

Also, the demo is mostly an interactive down beat story. So, it's not a great introduction.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

nintendoo wrote:
    I can imagine it would be awkward in handheld. It was ported from a "docked" console (Xbox) after all.

I've only ever played handheld!

Grassey wrote: »
    I've only ever played handheld!

But on a Switch, not a Lite.

The extra screen size on the Switch makes a difference I'm sure.

It was mainly an issue on the platform sections where it zooms out. I've no problems playing Celeste on my Lite though, so there seems to be a specific threshold where sprites are comfortably viewed on the Lite.

I just love playing games with the pro controller on my IPS monitor and decent speakers. Feels less cramped and fiddly. Plus I get tired looking at a small screen!

Right, next game to finish: Wind Waker HD on Wii U while I still have a working Wii U and before they produce a switch version!!

I have the swift sail.... So no excuses. The auction house was fun !

This game just pops on said IPS monitor :):)

(Fun fact)
    "On the GameCube, in the previous version, it took some time to load the ocean data, because it was so vast. So, if the ship had gone too fast, it would have sailed to the edge of the ocean and fallen off. Now that it's on Wii U, the capabilities have been enhanced greatly, and we're now able to load the entire ocean at once. Now that we're able to do that, we could speed up the ship." — Eiji Aonuma, Wii U Developer Direct - The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD @E3 2013

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,135 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

I'm playing sword on a switch and shield on a lite definitely notice the lack of rumble but that's the only serious difference the lite feels fine too.

I'm playing sword on a switch and shield on a lite definitely notice the lack of rumble but that's the only serious difference the lite feels fine too.

I had to turn off rumble and sound on Ori to complete the last section. Got too intense ;)

I just love playing games with the pro controller on my IPS monitor and decent speakers. Feels less cramped and fiddly. Plus I get tired looking at a small screen!

Right, next game to finish: Wind Waker HD on Wii U while I still have a working Wii U and before they produce a switch version!!

Snap! I'm using my Wii U Pro controller for the first time in about 3 years and playing through Wind Waker HD on my 55".

I've left the Gamepad up beside the bed for the times I want a quick bash in the morning without getting out of bed. The TV is directly underneath my bedroom so signal reaches fine thankfully!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

Bought Celeste on Friday. Nearly finished it now I think.
    Great game. It’s on sale for a tenner too if anyone hasn’t gotten it

mrcheez wrote: »
    Snap! I'm using my Wii U Pro controller for the first time in about 3 years and playing through Wind Waker HD on my 55".

I've left the Gamepad up beside the bed for the times I want a quick bash in the morning without getting out of bed. The TV is directly underneath my bedroom so signal reaches fine thankfully!

I love the the Celtic music on the title track and the Spanish music on Dragon Roost Island.

Did a quick Google ... Here try this ... It's the main theme and then it explodes into Riverdance

https://youtu.be/p9VrBjDwmYM

:):):)

And here's a brilliant version (yoshihiro arita)

https://youtu.be/skelzAFFrUc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭nedd

Based on the posts of people here I am playing Ori. Really good, enjoying it greatly.

This morning on the train I got to the first escape section. I had to stop playing because I got frustrated. I'm sure I will get through it but failing 15 - 20 times in a row got too much for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,094 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

nedd wrote: »
    Based on the posts of people here I am playing Ori. Really good, enjoying it greatly.

This morning on the train I got to the first escape section. I had to stop playing because I got frustrated. I'm sure I will get through it but failing 15 - 20 times in a row got too much for me.

Wait until you get to the Ginso Tree :eek:

TitianGerm wrote: »
      Wait until you get to the Ginso Tree :eek:

Isn't that the first one ?

Some tips if it's getting to you:
      - vibration and sound off
      - docked with a decent controller
      - focus grasshopper

:)

But they are generally fair ... when you do it ... you'll think that wasn't so bad :-)

1. Advertisement
    2. Registered Users Posts: 28,094 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Isn't that the first one ?

Some tips if it's getting to you:
        - vibration and sound off
        - docked with a decent controller
        - focus grasshopper

:)

But they are generally fair ... when you do it ... you'll think that wasn't so bad :-)

Thought Ginso was the second one but could be mistaken.

Advertisement