Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are you playing, Nintendo edition.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭nedd

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Thought Ginso was the second one but could be mistaken.

Ginso Tree is the first one. I eventually beat it on my second sitting. Like mentioned above, it seems fun after the fact. It didn't feel fun when I was failing over and over.
    Good game though, really enjoying it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭nintendoo

Useful article here on things that are useful to know, without being spoilers ... I am glad I followed the advise about improving jumping skills and how to do this before the game was over .

https://www.thegamer.com/ori-and-the-blind-forest-tips/

Eagle tower in links awakening. Wasted ages on a puzzle cause I was tired and was overthinking the solution. Had to look it up. Also some other puzzle that just involved pushing blocks in a random order until something happened. Hate those ones.

Lessons learnt ... Slow down , take your time, try all your abilities , zoom in and examine the map. Use pins to help navigation especially at stairs ..

Also the game slows down annoyingly at times. Nothing major, but FFS Nintendo, on a 2d game with a few small sprites on screen. An expensive game. Meanwhile Ori and Youka laylee impossible lair are flying along at 60 FPS.

Gunman Clive HD collection is great fun.
    Super smooth Mega Man western action.
    With great soundtrack.
    Just finished first game.
    Short and sweet, but challenging in places.

1.99 in the eshop right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

I wonder how many reviewers played Witcher 3 on the Switch to completion. The latter half of the main game I've had so many weird glitches with dialogue cutting out, characters disappearing when in cutscenes, the camera being behind environmental objects in cutscenes, Geralt's hair glitching out for 2 hours after I took the cat potion first & software crashes. I played the game on release on PS4 and I didn't encounter as many bugs as this. I'd swear they are working on an older version of the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭skerry

Started The Champions Ballad DLC in Breath of the Wild last night. Not sure what I think of this whole one shot thing, just frustrating me at the moment. Hoping there's more to it than that, was looking forward to some decent extra story content.

skerry wrote: »
    Started The Champions Ballad DLC in Breath of the Wild last night. Not sure what I think of this whole one shot thing, just frustrating me at the moment. Hoping there's more to it than that, was looking forward to some decent extra story content.

Some really good shrines and the best boss battle in the game. Also a nice reward.

ERG89 wrote: »
    I wonder how many reviewers played Witcher 3 on the Switch to completion. The latter half of the main game I've had so many weird glitches with dialogue cutting out, characters disappearing when in cutscenes, the camera being behind environmental objects in cutscenes, Geralt's hair glitching out for 2 hours after I took the cat potion first & software crashes. I played the game on release on PS4 and I didn't encounter as many bugs as this. I'd swear they are working on an older version of the game.

It's a minor miracle they got it working on the switch at all. Maybe you don't have the latest patches ? Apart from these issues is it still worth getting Vs PS4 ??

I usually just play docked so I'll probably get the Witcher 3 and a cheap PS4 or Xbox one at some stage. Patient gamer! Maybe when I retire 'cause I also need the time to play it :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I was going to get it for the Switch, but Witcher is a part of Gamepass on the XBox, so that'll do instead!

nintendoo wrote: »
    Some really good shrines and the best boss battle in the game. Also a nice reward.

I had just started into Dark Souls Remaster earlier that evening and said I'd put in BoTW DLC for some stress free gaming, so the frustration of getting one shotted by a Boboklin was probably magnified a bit :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

It's a minor miracle they got it working on the switch at all. Maybe you don't have the latest patches ? Apart from these issues is it still worth getting Vs PS4 ??

I usually just play docked so I'll probably get the Witcher 3 and a cheap PS4 or Xbox one at some stage. Patient gamer! Maybe when I retire 'cause I also need the time to play it :)

I originally played it on xbox but couldn't dedicate the time to it. Only got about 5 hours in. Got it day one on Switch and im loving it. Playing it 50/50 docked and handheld and it looks great in both. Highly recommend.

I originally played it on xbox but couldn't dedicate the time to it. Only got about 5 hours in. Got it day one on Switch and im loving it. Playing it 50/50 docked and handheld and it looks great in both. Highly recommend.

Good stuff.

How does it compare to BOTW.
    I love BOTW - it's open, it's upbeat, it's a pretty chilled game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Jaysus, Fire Emblem The Three Houses is some game. Didn't bother with it initially, but so glad I did now. Sucked in to the story, genuinely finding it hard to put down.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,135 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

I just started playing as female Byleth you can recruit Sylvian straight away am sticking with this one through the weekend at least see how it goes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

Good stuff.

How does it compare to BOTW.
    I love BOTW - it's open, it's upbeat, it's a pretty chilled game.

BOTW is my favourite game ever. But Witcher 3 comes very close to matching it. They both encourage exploring new areas to find new things to level up, you can encounter bosses and enemies that are way over your level so its safer to run away, all the while the main story is there whenever you want to progress it along.
    Witcher is definitely much darker. More adult themed. Would not describe it as a chilled game but at times it can be.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

I just started playing as female Byleth you can recruit Sylvian straight away am sticking with this one through the weekend at least see how it goes

Can you? I must track him down. I went for Manuela first. She's multilateral. Playing as female Byleth, the character model is kinda horrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I was going to get it for the Switch, but Witcher is a part of Gamepass on the XBox, so that'll do instead!

Bear in mind, that version doesn't include the (expansive!) DLC.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,088 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Started and finished Gunman Clive 2 HD on Wii U. Fun wee game.

Just looking and I forgot they made a new game for the Switch - Mechstermination Force

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Started and finished Gunman Clive 2 HD on Wii U. Fun wee game.

Just looking and I forgot they made a new game for the Switch - Mechstermination Force

If you want to play Gunman Clive on Switch, the HD collection is currently on 50% sale for just €1.99.

Thanks but both done now and plenty more in the backlog to play

• Advertisement

On to Gunman Clive 2 in the HD collection.

This is really brilliant fun.

Tight, well designed levels and fantastic soundtrack.

I look so forward to the next level just to hear the next brilliant western/synth/oriental mix.

If you ever enjoyed Megaman or Shinobi then you'll love this. There is a lot of variety. The bosses are interesting and fair. The graphics are super smooth and beautifully animated.

Can't recommend enough and it's on sale for only 1.99.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

I'm about 10 hours into Ori and the Blind Forest.

Truly excellent game, up there as my favourite Switch game alongside Hollow Knight (and maybe Mario Odyssey just behind). These are the games the handheld Switch experience was made for IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

ionapaul wrote: »
    These are the games the handheld Switch experience was made for IMHO.

I felt like that about Link's Awakening on my Switch Lite... even the bright colours of the console just accentuated the colours on screen and felt great to play

Deadly Creatures on Wii

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Deadly Creatures on Wii

Having just heard of this game like 2 seconds ago, can I ask why this game? Does it control as bad as it looks?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭nedd

I finished Ori, really good game. I should have explored more as I found the last escape set piece hard and when I looked up some videos the people had triple jump and dash and it made it look much easier.

I started Pokemon Lets Go and turned it off after an hour. Not for me. The constant stopping to catch another Ratatatatat got old very fast.

I am now starting Stardew Valley. I don't know much about it so going in with an open mind.

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    Having just heard of this game like 2 seconds ago, can I ask why this game? Does it control as bad as it looks?

I just got it in my head to try it for some reason and was looking for a shorter game. Haven't played much so still getting used to controls. Think camera is more of an issue.
    The human characters are voiced by Billy Bob Thornton and Dennis Hopper

nedd wrote: »
    I finished Ori, really good game. I should have explored more as I found the last escape set piece hard and when I looked up some videos the people had triple jump and dash and it made it look much easier.

Googling for (example) "things you should know before playing XYZ" can make a game more enjoyable/expansive without giving away any spoilers in the game. Or do this when you're (example) 30% through.

Often there are a load of quality of life improvements that you're just not aware of.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,135 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Bar some really good offers or sales I need to stop buying switch games and play the ones I have recently bought Vampyr Blacksad and Mario Sonic Olympics I still haven't touched Skyrim Diablo 3 or Dark Souls and still haven't beaten any of the divine beasts.

• Advertisement

Bar some really good offers or sales I need to stop buying switch games and play the ones I have recently bought Vampyr Blacksad and Mario Sonic Olympics I still haven't touched Skyrim Diablo 3 or Dark Souls and still haven't beaten any of the divine beasts.

Sounds like you should be over in the 'What are you NOT playing, Nintendo edition' thread ;)

I'm having the same problem with 3DS games at the moment. Building up quite the backlog since I picked up the console in December

Advertisement