Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are you playing, Nintendo edition.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

nintendoo wrote: »
    If I start tracking it this way it'll become more of a chore.

Just need to sort out a few Zelda's that have been left in limbo. I've a Twilight Princess save from 2008. Think I've just 2 more dungeons. She's probably sick of waiting at this stage. :)

What put you off Twilight Princess, could I ask? I'm in the same boat, kinda just drifted away from the game after 30 hours and never dipped back in.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'm seeing less of my collection than ever, but it has enlarged considerably over the past five years.
    Don't really know where to start.
    I probably buy a hundred new games for every one I complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

Decided to start playing through the original Donkey Kong on the SNES mini again :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Decided to start playing through the original Donkey Kong on the SNES mini again :D

Which Donkey Kong is it?
    The arcade verison?
    The lovely GB/GBPlayer one?
    Or even... Donkey Kong Country??

• Registered Users Posts: 28,094 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Bought Mario and Rabbids last night. Played 10 minutes and love it so far. Probably get around to playing it again sometime next year :pac:

• Advertisement

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Which Donkey Kong is it?
    The arcade verison?
    The lovely GB/GBPlayer one?
    Or even... Donkey Kong Country??

Donkey Kong Country. My SNES mini isn't hacked so it's the only one on it, at the moment anyway. I think I will have to change that soon :p

• Registered Users Posts: 18,135 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

These kids and their original Donkey Kong being Donkey Kong Country in my day it was pixelated barrels.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

These kids and their 'Mario'!

In my day it was 'Jumpman', and we liked it that way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭nintendoo

I'm old and played the original in the arcade but I still prefer tropical freeze. :)

Retro really did amazing work here.

The sales really should be better for that game.

These kids and their original Donkey Kong being Donkey Kong Country in my day it was pixelated barrels.

That's me, a 36 year old kid :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

I bought an adapter for my 4bit do SNES controller and makes the mini so much better as you can sit back and relax.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

Just finished Inside. Confused by the ending. Loved the game. But that ending was not what I was expecting. Up until that I thought it was a 10 out of 10 game. Im not sure now though.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Just finished Inside. Confused by the ending. Loved the game. But that ending was not what I was expecting. Up until that I thought it was a 10 out of 10 game. Im not sure now though.

There's a secret ending you can unlock, but I couldn't be arsed playing through it a second time to find it. You can find a video of it on Youtube if you're interested.

Fysh wrote: »
    There's a secret ending you can unlock, but I couldn't be arsed playing through it a second time to find it. You can find a video of it on Youtube if you're interested.

Id heard there was one and knew I wouldn't unlock it so I watched it last night. Would never have found it on my own and it was equally as confusing.
    Read a few theories online after and even though some kinda made sense they weren't definitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Try playing again knowing what you know. It puts parts of it in a different perspective.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I really loved Inside. Think the narrative is excellent and love the 'Aha!' moment when you realise the bait and switch and why it's called 'Inside'. It's still quite ambiguous but made me think and I think it has a lot to say as well.

Was almost put off playing it as I really thought the teams previous game Limbo was a nice art style but narratively a pile of pretentious **** that said nothing and relied on the art style to make it seem important. Inside though... I loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Just completed the Savage Labyrinth on Zelda: Wind Waker HD as part of the grind to get the remaining Triforce Shards.

50 levels of progressively tougher enemy clusters.. My God I literally ended up beating it with half a heart left and had to use 3 fairies. This is with about 10 hearts available.

I can't see how Ganon can be harder!

Fighting the prophet Noah in Radiant Historia he is kicking the snot out of me love going back to my 3ds stash when the switch games get frustrating.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I really loved Inside. Think the narrative is excellent and love the 'Aha!' moment when you realise the bait and switch and why it's called 'Inside'. It's still quite ambiguous but made me think and I think it has a lot to say as well.

Was almost put off playing it as I really thought the teams previous game Limbo was a nice art style but narratively a pile of pretentious **** that said nothing and relied on the art style to make it seem important. Inside though... I loved it.

I felt the exact opposite - I liked Limbo, minimal & pretentious story notwithstanding, whereas Inside felt like grandstanding guff. Great use of music, but it clearly thought it was being much cleverer than I thought it was with its commentary about controlling and manipulating characters - plus its use of pseudo 3D backgrounds meant that a bunch of the latter platform sections were particularly stupid in an Oh Noes, This One-Foot-Tall Fence Is An Insurmountable Barrier sort of way.

Different strokes for different folks, and all that :)

mrcheez wrote: »
    I can't frickin wait to finish Wind Waker so I can get back to playing Half Life in VR :pac:

FINALLY beat The Wind Waker on the Wii U... about bloody time. I sat in bed while Storm Dennis was howling outside
    and didn't get out till Gannon had a bloody sword in his skull
    . I was pretty shocked by that ending tbh.

A fitting end to my run of Zelda games for the moment (seeing as I was playing on the Wind Waker branded Wii U gamepad too).

Gonna take a break from Nintendo for a while so I'll catch up with y'all sometime later in the year. Gonna go all Ready Player One for next few months and plug into the metaverse.

• Advertisement

Links awakening...

God, I hate this game. 2nd last level, had to Google as I was stuck. Yep, just need to bomb a wall I didn't see and had to re find a crystal. How exciting. Love how the screens regenerate every bloody time and a lot of the creatures in the dungeon are tarted up sinclair spectrum sprites ... the platform sections are starting to look like a flash game ... And for such a princely sum too !

Then get to the final level and lost. Google ... so the trading sequence is important after all. Just followed a YouTube video for this cause it's boring and tedious and not obvious. Even someone wasn't where she was in the video. Have to Google again ... Find her. Also, the dialogue is beginning to wear very thin.

Interesting fact on the video, in the original Japanese version you had to get the mermaids bra ...

More running around ... a lot better looking docked. Had to turn off the sound as the music is short and repetitive.

Back to the final level and boss and **** it going to bed.

This game is going to be part of a trading sequence for me very soon.

:)

Links awakening...

God, I hate this game. 2nd last level, had to Google as I was stuck. Yep, just need to bomb a wall I didn't see and had to re find a crystal. How exciting. Love how the screens regenerate every bloody time and a lot of the creatures in the dungeon are tarted up sinclair spectrum sprites ...

Then get to the final level and lost. Google ... so the trading sequence is important after all. Just followed a YouTube video for this cause it's boring and tedious and not obvious. Even someone wasn't where she was in the video. Have to Google again ... Find her. Also, the dialogue is beginning to wear very thin.

Interesting fact on the video, in the original Japanese version you had to get the mermaids bra ...

More running around ... a lot better looking docked. Had to turn off the sound as the music is short and repetitive.

Back to the final level and boss and **** it going to bed.

This game is going to be part of a trading sequence for me very soon.

:)

Doing all that brought nostalgia for me down in an internet cafe, printing off guides so i could finish it.

I remember my first play through on the game boy the second dungeon the order you kill the enemies.

I remember thinking once I got into the castle it was going to get really good ... But it didn't .. you just get out of the mostly empty castle and ... Yawn ... The 2nd last dungeon before the egg is really bland. WTF

It's a reskinned game boy game. I'm actually thinking it might work better there cause your expectations are lower. It'd be certainly cheaper.

There is no excuse for this price, they should have done a brand new top down Zelda and polished it to the max with a custom game engine ... and add weight to the game ... not worms and fire balls that 'go round the edges'. It's just lazy and greedy.

Gunman Clive is way more fun, more polished, more refined, really tight, better music, much much better music, more variety. And it was done by 2 brothers and it costs buttons. They even developed their own game engine.

I didn't have the nostalgia for Links Awakening. It's a gorgeous looking game and I wanted to love it. But I just didn't enjoy it and sold it to a friend when I got about half way through. Not for me.
    I hate not finishing games but I had no problem walking away from this one.

For me it was just pure nostalgia i knew it would be a near copy and paste when i got it.

It was the same for allot of fans, it doesn't hold up to some of whats out there today but its nice.

Hmm I really enjoyed Link's Awakening, though I do admit it had its fair share of meaningless grindy fetch quests, such as those required to get the boomerang! But that can be said of other Zelda games, like my recent Wind Waker experience which had a godawful grind to get the Triforce.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

mrcheez wrote: »
    But that can be said of other Zelda games, like my recent Wind Waker experience which had a godawful grind to get the Triforce.

Hilarious thing is that was their 'improved' version of the Triforce hunt.

Linear quests in Zelda are mind numbingly frustrating Links Awakenings had its fair share. Ocarina water temple and shooting that damn arrow to open the temple.

Links awakening traps you in this linear maze of nonsense, even when it's not a puzzle or technical reason. Eg in the over world you can't just go straight to a warp point you can see, you have to walk all over the place to get to it. They could have removed a tree :)

I would love a top down Zelda with more of the freedom of BOTW. 60 FPS and super polished combat. With smart enemies of all shapes and sizes. Mix in BOTW like physics and puzzles. Think a link between worlds heads in that direction. They should have taken that to the max on switch.

BOTW sucked me back into video games. LA is kicking me right out. I just don't have the time for LA. Or maybe my patience and focus had gone to hell :(

• Advertisement

I just don't have the time for LA. Or maybe my patience and focus had gone to hell :(

It sounds like you're almost there though, stick with it one evening just to complete and you'll feel satisfied you can move on :)

Plus the great thing about Nintendo games is that you can often sell them on for near the price you purchased after you've completed it. LA doesn't have much replay value once completed.

Wouldn't get anything like original price for my PS4 games.

Advertisement