Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are you playing, Nintendo edition.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭nintendoo

Finishing it soon and selling it. Onwards and upwards ! Kids want the new animal crossing ... they have zero nostalgia baggage ... so it can go towards that.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I faded away from Link's Awakening too. Never got further than the third dungeon. Just something about it that didn't click (and I finished the original and DX versions a few times each).

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I'm amazed at the number of people who were willing to pay £50 for a game that, for all that the visuals have been lovingly remastered into a very appealing style, is still at its essence a Gameboy game with ~15 hours of playtime and pretty much no post-endgame content.

I know I played it back when it first came out, but feel no nostalgic desire to revisit it - and even if I did, a £50 price tag for the privilege is "laugh and GTFO" territory for me.

I've finished it now.

Off to CEX it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Fysh wrote: »
    I'm amazed at the number of people who were willing to pay £50 for a game that, for all that the visuals have been lovingly remastered into a very appealing style, is still at its essence a Gameboy game with ~15 hours of playtime and pretty much no post-endgame content.

I know I played it back when it first came out, but feel no nostalgic desire to revisit it - and even if I did, a £50 price tag for the privilege is "laugh and GTFO" territory for me.

I paid 100 euro for the collectors edition with the metal case. I am the person it was aimed at and considering how sold out it was allot of others were as well.

Its not for everyone of course.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Calhoun wrote: »
    I paid 100 euro for the collectors edition with the metal case. I am the person it was aimed at and considering how sold out it was allot of others were as well.

Its not for everyone of course.

I suppose the key thing is that you feel you got your money's worth, and that will vary from person to person. I'm glad that a lot of folks who've bought it got to enjoy revisiting a game they love - as I say, it's just not for me :)

I suppose the key thing is that you feel you got your money's worth, and that will vary from person to person. I'm glad that a lot of folks who've bought it got to enjoy revisiting a game they love - as I say, it's just not for me :)

Exactly both of our experiences are valid and that is the genius of Nintendo.

I have a PS4 pro, Xbox one X , gaming PC and I get most enjoyment from my switch for single player titles. It's not the most powerful but what it does with what it has is amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,088 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Kid Icarus Uprising.
    Figured I need to play the portables more

Last night was the first night playing since I started it. Controls are annoying at times. Things like accidentally dashing off platforms

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

I got it for about £40 by shopping around online at a pre sale price and knew id be able to sell it on to either CEX or a friend when I was done. So in total it probably cost me €15 to try it out.
    If you shop around there are savings to be made even on brand new games.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I've just restarted BOTW again... :eek:

Going to try to trick/glitches to get the Master Sword early, with just 3 hearts... :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

nintendoo wrote: »
    I've finished it now.

Off to CEX it goes.

whatever happened to
    Just enjoy and take your time!

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

With the Gamestop trade-in deals during E3 & Gamescom it could be got for less than 30 if you found cheap copies of Cars 3 & Lego DC Villains. I said at the time I enjoyed it more when it was a Virtual console game on the eShop than a remake as trying to remake a Gameboy game will always have its limitations.
    The fact it has an 87 on Metacritic makes me question if reviewers even played it beyond an hour & judged it as a game in 2019. IGN rated the Link's Awakening remake higher than the Witcher 3 which is an absolutely remarkable achievement.

mrcheez wrote: »
    whatever happened to

Just enjoy and take your time!

:p

I ran out of time :) and patience :)
    Mostly it was feeling like WORK !

Back to Yooka Laylee and the Impossible Lair. This game is FUN.

Had to turn down the music as it was getting annoying. Think David Wise sold them the stuff he discarded from Tropical Freeze. :):)

The controls are fluid and the platforming is great. Graphics are smooth and solid. I like the sound the gold coin makes when you collect it :) I grabbed a good few of these on existing levels and did some of the "pagee" challenges ( I think they try to personify everything in these games :) ) So, a lot more of the world has opened up.

Seemingly most of the game is OK, except for the "impossible lair" which is ... impossible :) even with all the hit points you collect. I read somewhere that the devs might be producing an easier version of this ... so it sounds like they are testing the game after it's been released. Which saves a lot of money :):)

Star Lord wrote: »

Going to try to trick/glitches to get the Master Sword early, with just 3 hearts... :D

I am on the third divine beast, I keep get distracted by shrines and other crap. Saw a giant dragon serpent, yesterday nearly crapped myself.

**** those minataur things though, scumbags.

I am on the third divine beast, I keep get distracted by shrines and other crap. Saw a giant dragon serpent, yesterday nearly crapped myself.

I saw my first one of those before I'd left the plateau first time round! :D Was pretty awestruck!!!

And Lynels aren't so bad when you've got decent weapons!

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Satturnfalls

I remember the first time i saw a dragon, i nearly crapped myself because i thought i had to fight it.

I saw my first one of those before I'd left the plateau first time round! :D Was pretty awestruck!!!

And Lynels aren't so bad when you've got decent weapons!

While I love the game, I don't think ill ever get over the breaking weapons.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Just a few hours into Act 2 on Dragon Quest XI. It's getting my attention a bit more, though the interlude between Act 1 ending and Act 2 starting properly was a bit much. Anyway, about 24 hours in, so I'll see myself getting this done in less than 50 at this rate, ignoring all the sub quests and post game (most of the sub quests so far [bar Tickington] seem to be mainly *yawn* fetch quests)

Never bothered me in the slightest, once I got past the really weak ones! :D
    Few trips into the castle and you can pick up some great ones!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

I bought a house to keep my favorite swords in so they don't break but I don't think I've had a problem finding good weapons whenever I've needed them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 Hatch8harry

Finished Yooka Laylee & the Impossible Lair over the weekend. It wouldn't be in the same league as Rayman Legends or DKTF but I thoroughly enjoyed my time with the game and would easily recommend. Most levels are pretty inventive and the over world is a nice change up. There is pretty big ramp up in difficulty going from the later levels to the Impossible Lair itself. Some might be put off by it but I appreciated the challenge. Finished the game with 42/48 bees and 140/200 gold coins. If I didn't have a sizable backlog, I wouldn't hesitate going for the 100% completion.

Picked up Assassin's Creed 3 in the sale. Finished 1 and 2 on the 360 back in the day but never completed the trilogy. Im one of the few people who enjoyed the Desmond storyline so looking forward to getting stuck into it again.
    After an hours play last night I can report it looks and runs great in handheld mode. Ive enjoyed what ive seen so far. Good opening to it.
    Bargain for €12 (had a few gold coins to drop the price a little more).

Picked up Assassin's Creed 3 in the sale. Finished 1 and 2 on the 360 back in the day but never completed the trilogy. Im one of the few people who enjoyed the Desmond storyline so looking forward to getting stuck into it again.
    After an hours play last night I can report it looks and runs great in handheld mode. Ive enjoyed what ive seen so far. Good opening to it.
    Bargain for €12 (had a few gold coins to drop the price a little more).

Just checking, did you play the rest of the Ezio story after 2 - Brotherhood and Revelations?

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Just checking, did you play the rest of the Ezio story after 2 - Brotherhood and Revelations?

I don't think so. And if I did I don't remember. Any critical plot points im missing?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,794 ✭✭✭sweetie

I ran out of time :) and patience :)
    Mostly it was feeling like WORK !

Back to Yooka Laylee and the Impossible Lair. This game is FUN.

Had to turn down the music as it was getting annoying. Think David Wise sold them the stuff he discarded from Tropical Freeze. :):)

The controls are fluid and the platforming is great. Graphics are smooth and solid. I like the sound the gold coin makes when you collect it :) I grabbed a good few of these on existing levels and did some of the "pagee" challenges ( I think they try to personify everything in these games :) ) So, a lot more of the world has opened up.

Seemingly most of the game is OK, except for the "impossible lair" which is ... impossible :) even with all the hit points you collect. I read somewhere that the devs might be producing an easier version of this ... so it sounds like they are testing the game after it's been released. Which saves a lot of money :):)

I tried the lair a few times and decided life's too short and sold it. thoroughly enjoyed the lead up to it and getting those hard to reach coins.

I don't think so. And if I did I don't remember. Any critical plot points im missing?

For the outside of the animus storyline, yes, some huge things. They're great games, and worth a play if you can, if not, maybe just read a synopsis online?

I played Brotherhood and have Revelations installed on pc. But, yeah, big things in Brotherhood anyway. I really must play Revelations.
    Anyway that isn't nintendo, so still Kid Icarus. Think near the halfway point

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Bought the original Doom over the weekend as I had a few gold coins to put towards it.

Game still holds up remarkably well but it is also the first time in about 20 years that I've suffered any sort of motion sickness playing any video game! Will give it another go this evening as maybe it was just a once off....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Bought the original Doom over the weekend as I had a few gold coins to put towards it.

Game still holds up remarkably well but it is also the first time in about 20 years that I've suffered any sort of motion sickness playing any video game! Will give it another go this evening as maybe it was just a once off....

The option to play other custom made maps is a great addition to the base game, which is already brilliant.
    Sigil is pretty hardcore.

• Advertisement

Who's worried about the breakable weapons when you've got the master sword after the first upgrade (which I went for stamina on!) :D

Advertisement