Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are you playing, Nintendo edition.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

Star Lord wrote: »
    For the outside of the animus storyline, yes, some huge things. They're great games, and worth a play if you can, if not, maybe just read a synopsis online?

Think il go with the synopsis option or YouTube video. Thanks for the heads up though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

fixXxer wrote: »
    I bought a house to keep my favorite swords in so they don't break but I don't think I've had a problem finding good weapons whenever I've needed them

Had no idea you could buy housing lol.
    Never bothered me in the slightest, once I got past the really weak ones! :D
    Few trips into the castle and you can pick up some great ones!

I haven't got that brave yet I should go for it.
    Who's worried about the breakable weapons when you've got the master sword after the first upgrade (which I went for stamina on!) :D

I need to go get it, ive kinda been just wandering doing whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Calhoun wrote: »
    I haven't got that brave yet I should go for it.

I need to go get it, ive kinda been just wandering doing whatever.

The castle does have some high level enemies, and a load of guardians, so practice the deflections!

The master sword requires 13 hearts before you can pull it. I just used a glitch to get it before I got any heart upgrades! Was pretty easy to do tbh!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

The castle does have some high level enemies, and a load of guardians, so practice the deflections!

The master sword requires 13 hearts before you can pull it. I just used a glitch to get it before I got any heart upgrades! Was pretty easy to do tbh!

Here's the guide to doing it btw, if anyone wants to try for themselves, or give themselves a boost! The only requirements to do it are the parasail so you can leave the plateau, then this guides you to get a horse, some necessary warp/save points, getting to Impa, then getting the camera rune...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,263 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Just finished Guacamelee super turbo championship edition. Enjoyed it. Solid mechanics and progression, the graphics are lovely and overall it doesn't take itself too seriously which adds to the fun. A good 15 hours of gameplay - a bit more if you pursue all the collectibles. Well worth the €9 you can get it for on the Russian eshop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Finally started Divinity: Original Sin 2 and jesus, they must have had a team of wizards working on that port. They've mapped a full mouse and keyboard control system to the controllers effortlessly and got what looks like being a fairly resource heavy CRPG running like a dream on the Switch. It's technically amazing and it helps that (five hours in) the game is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,094 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Just completed the first world on Mario and Rabbids. Why did I wait this long to buy and play it?

On a related point, I unlocked the ability to move the boxes with handles. Do I need a certain hero to use that or do I activate it somewhere?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Various bits of alleged news about Metroid Prime 4 (alleged because they were in no way actual news about MP4, because there isn't any) made me remember that I own the Wii Metroid Prime Trilogy and have never actually finished Corruption, so I've gone back to that for a bit. Won't lie, I'd prefer to be able to play with a controller over the Wiimote approach because some of the gesture control stuff feels really gimmicky (whereas I recall Motion Plus enabled games making better use of it, e.g. Red Steel 2 and No More Heroes 2 - both games using it for swordplay, as it happens).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭nintendoo

Just saw that BOTW has bowling in it. Must give that a try and also find the last few shrines. Hero path mode is a genius idea :) Actually there is a lot of bits n pieces I need to do in that game ...

Really hoping BOTW2 is as least as good. That and a sequel to Mario Odyssey is entirely possible. They did it with Majoras mask and Galaxy 2... both Zelda and 3d Mario teams are busy doing something ... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭skerry

Having noticed a gap in my library for a good open world game to get lost in this week, I picked up Skyrim in the sale. Have it on Xbox and have put a couple of hours into it on that but thinking it will be much better suited to handheld which I find myself playing more and more of. Have other open world games but have finished most of them.

Got caught up trying to make a specific Battle Mage build last time I tried it on Xbox when I should have been just enjoying the world. At the moment I have a sword and shield guy and using the bow as often as I can when it gets to sneaky time in dungeons.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Despite a collection of unplayed DS and 3DS games of the series sitting idle in their cart cases, I took the leap and bought DQXI for the Switch yesterday, when I checked my bank balance and it made a happy face.

Started it last night, only played a little bit, and it seems lovely... but then so did DQVIII on the PS2 and 3DS versions I own, not to mention the gorgeous Rogue Galaxy, which also joins it's DQ bretheren in cooling it's heels somewhere up there... (that would be the gamesroom in the converted attic!).

Nevertheless, he shall persist.
    I'll take the misery of turn based battles and smile like I mean it until I do, perhaps I will have to eject Outrun 2006 from the PS2 afterwards and start back into Rogue Galaxy, my love of turnbased Japanese RPGs alight for the first time!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,135 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Bought Snack World Darksiders Genesis and Ash Redemption all still sealed while I explore Fire Emblem I'm buying Metro tomorrow and Animal Crossing next month with a possible purchase of Pokemon Mystery Dungeon in the works too and might have to fold to peer pressure and get Doom while they're cheap too. I luv my switch.

Consensus here all I'm playing is Fire Emblem it is just too engaging to stop and trying to do everything just right is a lot of fun.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I'll take the misery of turn based battles and smile like I mean it until I do, perhaps I will have to eject Outrun 2006 from the PS2 afterwards and start back into Rogue Galaxy, my love of turnbased Japanese RPGs alight for the first time!

Turn based is better than real time when done properly.

Also Rogue Galaxy has real time combat, but it's also kind of a crap game. Think reviews were kind to it off the back of how good DQ8 was but it's the same ni no kuni garbage Level 5 keep making.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭robojet

Hellwarders, Forager and Two Point Hospital are some of the more recent physical purchases that I can't put down.

Bought Monster Energy Supercross 3 but if you have 2 already, there's not enough here to justify the purchase.

Buying Switch games is an addiction and I don't know why: my PS4 gathers dust while my Switch collection ballooned to 293 physical games...

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Enjoying Darksiders Genesis a lot. Finished first chapter/section a couple of days ago (about 1.5-2 hours)
    Definitely blurry in handheld though - hopefully they patch it.

Looking forward to trying Blood Roots over the weekend (basically like Hotline Miami but with lovely graphics and set in the Wild West).

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Satturnfalls

Have been tempted to pick up darkside genesis, it looks like a Diablo èsque dugeon crawler.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Just finished the main story in Dragon Quest - 35:09 hours - didn’t exactly speed run it or skip everything but thought it would last longer. Will come back to it for the post game but think I’ll start Metro 2033 now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭pasta-solo

chrislad wrote: »
    Just finished the main story in Dragon Quest - 35:09 hours.

I'm curious to know how much more I have left, but hesitant to Google it for fear of spoilers...
    I'm in the Heliodor Sewers with Hendrick.
    Am I close to the end?

pasta-solo wrote: »
    I'm curious to know how much more I have left, but hesitant to Google it for fear of spoilers...
    I'm in the Heliodor Sewers with Hendrick.
    Am I close to the end?
    You still have a good bit to go. On my playthrough, I think the first half was about 20 hours, with the remainder on the second half, and you're not massively far in. On story, I'd guess another 10 - 15 hours or so to the end boss

• Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Playing Doom 3, picked it up for €3. It is mad to see how far games have come. It is a bit of fun but I spend the whole time turning on and off the torch as I try to aim down the sights :)

I had it in my head I'll wizz through it. Just googled the length. 17 hours!!! It really will be a struggle to keep playing. But it was 3 quid so nice don't mind.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Playing Doom 3, picked it up for €3. It is mad to see how far games have come. It is a bit of fun but I spend the whole time turning on and off the torch as I try to aim down the sights :)

I had it in my head I'll wizz through it. Just googled the length. 17 hours!!! It really will be a struggle to keep playing. But it was 3 quid so nice don't mind.

I found the visuals and pace is way off, even though it was incredibly advanced at the time.
    I think it goes to show what the recent updated Doom has really done for the franchise and the genre in general.

I'm getting into it more now I'm a few hours in. The game still looks pretty great. Bar the people in the cut scenes WTF. Had an enjoyable day in from the storm with it.

Have Doom 2016 just downloaded now too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

I got Space Wolf on the Switch and it's surprisingly deep and addictive. Really scratching that Turn Based itch. Spent a stupid amount of hours playing it the last few days.

Bought Ash of Gods: Redemption just before, but didn't manage to hook me in the same way, but will give it another shot later.

J Mysterio wrote: »
    I got Space Wolf on the Switch and it's surprisingly deep and addictive. Really scratching that Turn Based itch. Spent a stupid amount of hours playing it the last few days.

Bought Ash of Gods: Redemption just before, but didn't manage to hook me in the same way, but will give it another shot later.

I saw it coming out and was pretty cheap so had dismissed it. Must give it another look. I love a good turn based game. Mutant road to Eden was great, bar looking like garbage and crashing 70 times.

I'm getting into it more now I'm a few hours in. The game still looks pretty great. Bar the people in the cut scenes WTF. Had an enjoyable day in from the storm with it.

Have Doom 2016 just downloaded now too.

Really getting into Doom 3. I don't know what it is but I can't put it down. Put on Doom 2016 for 5 mins and went right back to it. I think it is the simplicity. Just shoot the demons.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I found the visuals and pace is way off, even though it was incredibly advanced at the time.
    I think it goes to show what the recent updated Doom has really done for the franchise and the genre in general.

Doom 3 was not a run and gun like the before and after games and the Doom 1 and 2 fans didn't like that at the time mostly.

And it didn't succeed in whatever it was trying to be. Not a bad game but will never be considered as classic like Doom 1 and 2.

I mean even Doom 1 and 2 stand up today more than it does so it's not about the visuals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

Decided to play through Super Mario World on the SNES mini again. I've finished it a few times before, but I've never tried to get all exits. I think I've got all exits in the first five worlds, so might try get them all and complete the game fully

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Decided to play through Super Mario World on the SNES mini again. I've finished it a few times before, but I've never tried to get all exits. I think I've got all exits in the first five worlds, so might try get them all and complete the game fully

I'm going through it on the Switch at the moment too. Played it plenty back in the day but don't think I ever finished it so aiming to do that in the next few days.

I played it so much when I was young that when I played it recently I still had the muscle memory. AI was In the castle and without thinking ducked into a little gap and didn't know why, a second later a giant bullet comes along.

Must be the bones of 30 years that stuck with me. If I was able to remember my school work as well !!!!

• Advertisement

About two acts into BulletStorm. It's a great game to play, more so after Dragon Quest which is a quite relaxed game - by contrast, BulletStorm is an explosion of violence, quips, and expletives.

Advertisement