Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are you playing, Nintendo edition.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Sounds like Elite Beat Agents man that was a hidden gem

Gonna try Dragon Quest later as I keep getting the urge to time travel in Animal Crossing seeing as Weeds are now a source of income rather than a punishment.

Not really, but it has that same addictive quality. You also have the story of Rusty himself. He is an owner of a videogame store and you visit him and try to help him get over his wife leaving him. He also loves to haggle and you can talk to him to try and get the price of all the games down (real world money). It's a really interesting idea and the game is nice about telling you you can get the price lower and if the price won't go any lower. It's the kind of strangeness you would only see coming from Nintendo. Always annoys me people saying Nintendo just churn out the same games when they are creating some really innovative games like this. It's also one of the few 3DS games where the 3D really works and is essential for playing the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,135 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

That's what I meant weird and crazy and very funny looks good from the video I'm gonna have to start buying from the other eshops I've two switches so one can drift about and find a few gems like this.

I missed the opportunity to buy a Japanese 3ds just before Christmas might see if the guy still has it

• Registered Users Posts: 29,088 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Just had my second go on Ring Fit Adventure. Don't think I'll be finishing this as quickly as Yoshi

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭redlead

I picked up Grim Fandango last week as it was featured on the eshop. My God its a ridiculously hard game, how you are supposed to figure out a lot of the stuff yourself is beyond me anyway.

Gave up on it and finally got around to playing Inside instead. It really is a masterpiece. Such a good game.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

redlead wrote: »
    I picked up Grim Fandango last week as it was featured on the eshop. My God its a ridiculously hard game, how you are supposed to figure out a lot of the stuff yourself is beyond me anyway.

Gave up on it and finally got around to playing Inside instead. It really is a masterpiece. Such a good game.

I love the visual style of Grim Fandango but it's a classic adventure game in that it doesn't really work as a thing you can play through with pure logic. The only progress I ever made through it beyond what was originally in the demo is via guides or walkthroughs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭redlead

Fysh wrote: »
    I love the visual style of Grim Fandango but it's a classic adventure game in that it doesn't really work as a thing you can play through with pure logic. The only progress I ever made through it beyond what was originally in the demo is via guides or walkthroughs.

Yeah it's a game I really wanted to like; the dialogue was fantastic but when I needed to constantly look at the walk through, I just stopped enjoying it. I haven't played that style of game before though so maybe it's just not my thing. Actually, I had Bladerunner on PC about 20 years ago. It was one of those 7 disc jobs. I wasn't able to complete it as there weren't any YouTube walkthroughs in those days but I probably wasn't far off. It was a lot easier than Grim Fandango anyway

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blade_Runner_(1997_video_game)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Finished off Doom 3 in around 10 hours , was just about right and I loved it. I like when a game makes me look forward to playing it. I'd grab any chance I could to get a few mins in.

€3 well spent.

On to Bullet storm now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

redlead wrote: »
    Yeah it's a game I really wanted to like; the dialogue was fantastic but when I needed to constantly look at the walk through, I just stopped enjoying it. I haven't played that style of game before though so maybe it's just not my thing. Actually, I had Bladerunner on PC about 20 years ago. It was one of those 7 disc jobs. I wasn't able to complete it as there weren't any YouTube walkthroughs in those days but I probably wasn't far off. It was a lot easier than Grim Fandango anyway

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blade_Runner_(1997_video_game)

That Blade Runner game is being remastered/remade and re-released on the Switch, hopefully this year. I still remember the choice I made at the end, and I am unlikely to change my mind :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

Just picked up Luigi's Mansion 3. A little late to the party but looking forward to starting it later.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I spent about an hour in Piku Niku last night, really enjoying it so far. The sense of humour in it is daft and really charming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Oddly enough playing phantasy star 4 in the sega collection. While i procrastinate and not kill ganon.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

After finsihing Doom 3 I have moved on to Bulletstorm, what an amazing port. Such a great game.

Also started Animal Crossing to balance out the violence :D,

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Satturnfalls

busted out the n64 to play oot and do a 3 heart run. done two temples so far. duno if il stick with it or play again tomorow but i enjoyed the bit i played

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭nintendoo

Playing some of the popular levels on Mario Maker 2.
    There are some fantastic levels in there.
    Very clever and very well designed.
    And the whole thing is so polished !

But: I prefer to have connected levels and worlds ...
    And I'm burned out on platform games.

Time for something else!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Finally beat Calamity Ganon and it was a bit anti climactic in ways as it was very easy but what a game .

I'm glad I got all the memories before fighting him as it was a natural flow story wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Fixed my old joycons drift issue with a cotton bud and some isopropyl alcohol (and also fixed the clogged usb c port on my phone. Alcohol! The solution to all the problems it didn't cause!) so busted out Arms for the first time in years. Great fun beating the kids up.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Started Roundguard last night. Basically a Peggle/Pachinko game with roguelite elements. Enjoying it so far - scratches that Peggle itch on Switch in the absence of the original. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

About 2 hours into Luigis Mansion 3. Gorgeous game. Good fun and the puzzles are clever. Highly recommend so far. Been playing handheld only so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭peter4918

Darksiders. Never played it so I am enjoying it or should I say was enjoying it until the dark throne level. On the third guardian now but for me they are the most frustrating and badly designed puzzles I've come across in a long time.

One guardian with portal puzzles would have been enough, it’s just boring and repetitive now.

I was planning on getting Darksiders 2 after I finished this but I saw online that there is more of these portal puzzles in it so it instantly puts me off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Hatch8harry

Even though I have numerous "newish" games in my backlog, I decided to replay Banjo Kazooie for some unknown reason. Haven't played it since the N64 days but it holds up reasonably well (camera system aside). I'm enjoying it enough to see it through to the end - from memory I think I'm about three quarters of the way through the game.

Also received a Steam code for a beta version of a game called Kaze and the Wild Masks. It's a 2D platformer which takes a lot of inspiration from the Donkey Kong Country and Rayman games. I've enjoyed what I've played but have experienced too many crashes to warrant further playing. This game seems a lock for switch so probably one to keep an eye out for if this type of game resonates with you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

peter4918 wrote: »
    Darksiders. Never played it so I am enjoying it or should I say was enjoying it until the dark throne level. On the third guardian now but for me they are the most frustrating and badly designed puzzles I've come across in a long time.

One guardian with portal puzzles would have been enough, it’s just boring and repetitive now.

I was planning on getting Darksiders 2 after I finished this but I saw online that there is more of these portal puzzles in it so it instantly puts me off it.

Why badly designed? The repetitiveness is true but for me they are slightly frustrating in that they are quite easy for that stage in the game. Some 'medium' enemies like the Grappleclaw are much trickier. I thought the portal designs were fine really, just not much of a threat, can pass them in not much time.

BOTW. On the auld motorcycle , with sensor set to treasure chest and just doing a Hyrule road trip. There is a BOTW 3 story line in here somewhere :)

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Xofpod

nintendoo wrote: »
    BOTW. On the auld motorcycle , with sensor set to treasure chest and just doing a Hyrule road trip. There is a BOTW 3 story line in here somewhere :)

Zelda and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

Think it kind of ruins the serenity and wilderness aspect of the game ...

But it's still fun !

Thinking a higher Revali's gale and faster gliding might have been more interesting and less intrusive. Kind of a Hyrule eagle simulator ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Been playing a lot of civ 6 and then dipping in and out of Cuphead, Celeste but also some Stardew to keep me sane from playing the other three. Finding the switch lite a godsend during this lockdown

• Registered Users Posts: 18,135 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Mario Kart they should have sent a poet

• Registered Users Posts: 29,088 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Tried the Ring Fit rhythm game. Arms were sore after 2 songs. On Novice.

Youka laylee impossible lair ... Found some beautiful levels ... they just pop ... And really tight platforming ...

These guys could make a fantastic Yoshi game ...

The overworld is a bit daft and annoying at this stage but worth putting up with for that sublime platforming ...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Setting up a Mario Kart tournament so shine of the school friends can play together. Is voice chat possible? Do we have to use that stupid app?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭pasta-solo

fixXxer wrote: »
    Setting up a Mario Kart tournament so shine of the school friends can play together. Is voice chat possible? Do we have to use that stupid app?

You'd be better off using Discord or some other third party app to be honest. The Nintendo app is not good.

Advertisement