Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are you playing, Nintendo edition.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Nah, it's the steel case for the switch remake. She's trying to decide if she likes it more than the case for Yooka Laylee 😂

Might did out the actual OG game boy and carts for her later though.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Xofpod

awec wrote: »
    Just got the credits, great game! Got stuck in a few bits and had to google.

Any recommendations for similar titles?

Cadence of Hyrule is also a great take on Zelda. Bit more frenetic than Link's Awakening but well worth a look.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

At around 48 hours of playtime, I've wrapped up my time in the Atlas system and am finished with Starlink (unless I get an itch to go back in for the Crimson Moon stuff). Overall I enjoyed it, the gameplay was good and it is enjoyable as a Starfox game, but I also don't know if I'd replay it. If I could unlock more ships/characters/weapons through gameplay rather than having to pay to do so, I'd probably be more likely to replay - but paying for those elements feels like the game having a paywall built-in, which I'm OK with in F2P but not in a paid-for game...

I've also been pootling about with the Mega Drive Classics collection which I was given as a gift, and discovering that sadly I've probably already played most of the ones I like (the Shinobi games, Gunstar Heroes, Golden Axe, Streets of Rage, Vectorman) about as much as I want to. If nothing else the collection will prod me go go and look up my personal list of best Mega Drive games :)

I'll probably dip into a few smaller games as a palate cleanser - I have Koloro and Semispheres on the go, and keep meaning to look at Wandersong...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,398 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Fysh wrote: »
    At around 48 hours of playtime, I've wrapped up my time in the Atlas system and am finished with Starlink (unless I get an itch to go back in for the Crimson Moon stuff). Overall I enjoyed it, the gameplay was good and it is enjoyable as a Starfox game, but I also don't know if I'd replay it. If I could unlock more ships/characters/weapons through gameplay rather than having to pay to do so, I'd probably be more likely to replay - but paying for those elements feels like the game having a paywall built-in, which I'm OK with in F2P but not in a paid-for game...

I've also been pootling about with the Mega Drive Classics collection which I was given as a gift, and discovering that sadly I've probably already played most of the ones I like (the Shinobi games, Gunstar Heroes, Golden Axe, Streets of Rage, Vectorman) about as much as I want to. If nothing else the collection will prod me go go and look up my personal list of best Mega Drive games :)

I'll probably dip into a few smaller games as a palate cleanser - I have Koloro and Semispheres on the go, and keep meaning to look at Wandersong...

Golden Axe and Streets of Rage? Two of Ciderman’s favourite games. :P :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭nintendoo

Coin in Smithfield has Golden Axe arcade cabinet and version. It's display is a bit washed out but it still plays really well 2 player. Lovely, smooth scrolling, action and always the anticipation of who you've got to fight next. Brilliant bitmap graphics. It'd be nice to see a 2020 update with same style graphics, but maybe more depth for home play.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Golden Axe and Streets of Rage? Two of Ciderman’s favourite games. :P :P

Jaysus...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭skerry

Picked up Divinity Original Sin 2 in the sale after much deliberation on double dipping on yet another game on Switch. Great port, really impressed so far. Works far better than I thought it would in handheld.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,135 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Finding this whole isolation thing tough went back to Final Fantasy VII on my switch today haven't stopped playing until now since 2pm still love how much games can make me happy

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'm playing some odd Picross game on the Switch, dammit but Picross games are way too addictive, you start playing a quick game at 18:00 and some 15 minutes later (subjective) it's 04:00...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I'm playing some odd Picross game on the Switch, dammit but Picross games are way too addictive, you start playing a quick game at 18:00 and some 15 minutes later (subjective) it's 04:00...

Finished the story part of Murder by Numbers last night. Really enjoyable Picross based murder mystery game set in the 90's. I think with that & Picross S 1&2, I've probably played Picross more than any other game on the system at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Finding this whole isolation thing tough went back to Final Fantasy VII on my switch today haven't stopped playing until now since 2pm still love how much games can make me happy

I decided to jump on the Animal Crossing bandwagon and it's brilliant. Surprised just how addictive and absorbing it is.

The perfect game for the apocalypse.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,135 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Animal Crossing is good fun I'm doing it at my own pace next event is Earth Day April 22nd I'm gonna solo my island for a while might open the gate in a few weeks or not at all haven't decided yet game is fun with or without people that's the great thing about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭eggy81

Got stuck into diablo 3 this evening after finishing an assignment. Ive only stopped to charge the thing. Having never played a diablo before the first few hours have been a blast and that just playing simple adventure mode. Apparently when playing a seasonal character there's crazy depth to this game. Reminds a bit of destiny in isometric top down with the loot grind elements of it. My day one og switch battery isn't handling it well in hand held mode though.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,398 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

eggy81 wrote: »
    Got stuck into diablo 3 this evening after finishing an assignment. Ive only stopped to charge the thing. Having never played a diablo before the first few hours have been a blast and that just playing simple adventure mode. Apparently when playing a seasonal character there's crazy depth to this game. Reminds a bit of destiny in isometric top down with the loot grind elements of it. My day one og switch battery isn't handling it well in hand held mode though.

Anytime I’m playing in handheld mode I sit close to a wall socket and just plug in that official Nintendo USB c power brick thing when the battery gets low. Same thing that charges the pro controller. Essential it is imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

Played Broforce with a mate online yesterday. Best €3 I've ever spent. Hilarious and really good gameplay. Would highly recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I saw a review on youtube a few days ago recommending Willy Jetman: Astro Monkey's Revenge and it's a great game.

It's an action platformer with a 16-bit style where you're a little spaceman and you have to pick up junk from around each level to unlock the exit.
    There are lots of enemies who get progressively stronger the further you get.

You have a little jetpack for limited flying (it recharges when you stand still). Good physics too (if you jump, then jetpack, you get a boost)

There are weapons you pick up which you can upgrade.
    There is an experience/levelling system.
    You pick up crystals for currency.
    There are hidden areas and challenge rooms.
    Lovely chiptune music.
    Good sense of humour.
    A bit metroidvania-ish too (you can backtrack and teleport to earlier levels/areas)

It's a really good challenge too, but it's fair - if you die, it's because you were careless.

Watch a gameplay trailer below.
    On sale until Sunday for under a tenner.
    https://eshop-prices.com/games/3759-willy-jetman-astromonkey-s-revenge?currency=EUR

Mr E wrote: »
    I saw a review on youtube a few days ago recommending Willy Jetman: Astro Monkey's Revenge and it's a great game.

It's an action platformer with a 16-bit style where you're a little spaceman and you have to pick up junk from around each level to unlock the exit.
    There are lots of enemies who get progressively stronger the further you get.

You have a little jetpack for limited flying (it recharges when you stand still). Good physics too (if you jump, then jetpack, you get a boost)

There are weapons you pick up which you can upgrade.
    There is an experience/levelling system.
    You pick up crystals for currency.
    There are hidden areas and challenge rooms.
    Lovely chiptune music.
    Good sense of humour.
    A bit metroidvania-ish too (you can backtrack and teleport to earlier levels/areas)

It's a really good challenge too, but it's fair - if you die, it's because you were careless.

Watch a gameplay trailer below.
    On sale until Sunday for under a tenner.
    https://eshop-prices.com/games/3759-willy-jetman-astromonkey-s-revenge?currency=EUR

Spiritual successor to Jetpack Willie on the C64?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭eggy81

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Anytime I’m playing in handheld mode I sit close to a wall sticker and just plug in that official Nintendo USB c power brick thing when the battery gets low. Same thing that charges the pro controller. Essential it is imo.

It's so handy too the way that brick plugs into the bottom of the switch especially if you want to use table top mode. Even when sitting down or lounging on the couch it wouldn't be annoying having the cable plugged in the bottom. Very well designed feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Xofpod wrote: »
    Spiritual successor to Jetpack Willie on the C64?

More like Exile (if you remember that one!)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

AAAAAWWWWW YEAAAAAH I remember Exile. Only had the free demo and played it FOREVER. Then the tape snapped and the sellotape was in the middle of Exile. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Super Mario Run on Android (don't shoot me!)

I had a ton of phone credit to use up so just decided I'd give this a shot for €11... it's actually pretty good!

Now to decide whether I spend my 330 MyNintendo Platinum points on a gold statue of Mario, or more coins, or more tickets.

From what I can tell, the tickets are the only thing that have value for the main game itself?

Rocket League is so damn addictive. I never gave it much playtime on the Xbox but its perfect for a quick match here and there on handheld. Kind of clueless at it at the moment but picking up a few small bits. Surprising amount of skill involved and strikes the perfect balance of being challenging but keeping you well entertained while learning the harder skills. Only tried 1 on 1 games so far, playing with teams would be a bit too chaotic at the moment I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Hatch8harry

Finally picked up The Messenger in the latest eshop sale. This is a top tier indie game - finding it difficult to put down since I started playing. I highly recommend if you're a fan of both Hollow Knight and Celeste (though the difficulty level is probably closer to a Shovel Knight than the former two games). The writing is very clever, genuinely laugh out loud funny at times. The chiptune soundtrack is also fantastic, the Autumn Hills theme is an instant classic. The accolades this game received upon release were justified.

Finally picked up The Messenger in the latest eshop sale. This is a top tier indie game - finding it difficult to put down since I started playing. I highly recommend if you're a fan of both Hollow Knight and Celeste (though the difficulty level is probably closer to a Shovel Knight than the former two games). The writing is very clever, genuinely laugh out loud funny at times. The chiptune soundtrack is also fantastic, the Autumn Hills theme is an instant classic. The accolades this game received upon release were justified.

Great game, finished it a while back. Banter between the shop keeper and the main character is genuinely funny. Theres free DLC on the eshop too for after you finish the campaign

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Said I’d start Dead Cells since I never really gave it a chance. Finished the main game on my first play through. I thought this was supposed to be difficult initially?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Got the Witcher on the sale and getting stuck into that. Obviously not nearly as good looking as the Xbox/PS4 versions but the quality of the game is still there, do find myself saying just one more side quest before bed a lot.
    Also got Mario Kart 8 recently, such a wholesome fun multiplayer game

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

chrislad wrote: »
    Said I’d start Dead Cells since I never really gave it a chance. Finished the main game on my first play through. I thought this was supposed to be difficult initially?

Really? Either you've ninja like reflexes and a hell of a lot of skill, or you must have got spectacularly lucky and got a really good seed.

I've gone back to Cadence for the Octavio playthrough. I'm getting a ridiculous amount of pleasure out of this purchase. Beats the hell out of Links Awakening redux to my mind.
    Anyone know if this developer(brace yourself games) has anything else coming?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Star Lord wrote: »
    Really? Either you've ninja like reflexes and a hell of a lot of skill, or you must have got spectacularly lucky and got a really good seed.

I ended on 9 red/brutality, 6 green, 8 purple. Used knives, bow, and wolf trap with ice grenade. My health was about 20k - one of my mutations was 50% health extra but food doesn't heal. Also took extra DPS after killing an enemy. Definitely not Ninja like reflexes, if anything age has dulled them! Fortnite building with my son is beyond me!

I'm half way through the second playthrough now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Fired up Mortal Kombat 11 for a quick fight.
    Last night
    The ****ing cut scene is still playing. Jesus - I'm having flashbacks to Pokemon Moon. I'm no longer certain there's definitely a game behind all this overblown B-movie nonsense. Now I know why I never got to Chapter 3 of the intro....

Advertisement