Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are you playing, Nintendo edition.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭skerry

Playing Monster Boy. Just finished the volcano level, there should definitely be an achievement for finishing that section with your Switch still in one piece.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭nintendoo

skerry wrote: »
    Playing Monster Boy. Just finished the volcano level, there should definitely be an achievement for finishing that section with your Switch still in one piece.

So, how is that game ? Good, bad, meh ?

nintendoo wrote: »
    So, how is that game ? Good, bad, meh ?

Its pretty good and far better than I expected going by the demo, which was only OK. Very enjoyable platformer up until the Volcano level and then a pretty steep difficulty spike in that region and some parts I genuinely had no clue what to do and ended up looking at a guide and then thinking 'how the fook was I supposed to think of that'. Habit of throwing that final annoying enemy at the end of an incredibly tricky platforming section then which I found a bit gank.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I'm just finished the Temple and have gotten the first frog power. Its fine but definitely doesn't hold a candle to Hollow Knight. Not in the top tier metroidvanias for me.

chrislad wrote: »
    I'm just finished the Temple and have gotten the first frog power. Its fine but definitely doesn't hold a candle to Hollow Knight. Not in the top tier metroidvanias for me.

I love how Hollow Knight feels to control and how the world looks but there's too many things getting in the way of me enjoying that game as much as I hear most people doing. The map mechanic wrecks my head and not being able to find benches means I play for an hour and get absolutely nowhere and achieve nothing. I feel like they made the world traversal more difficult mostly by removing some of the features you come to expect as standard, like a map or markers. Don't want the game to completely hold my hand in exploration but would be nice if things stayed marked on the map once you discover them. I'm about 6 hours in and no clue where I'm supposed to go to proceed.

Monster Boy is good, wouldn't say its as amazing as I've heard in some reviews but decent game and worth the 12 euro I paid, definitely wouldn't pay full price for it though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

6 hours in you should have the Wayward Compass charm as an option and a couple of maps from the Mapmaker guy - That gives you a map with the locations of any places of interest and the ability to see where you are on it. Then once you have your bearings you can ditch the compass for something cooler for a while. The map definitely shows places of interest, fast travel points, benches, etc. Zr for the map I think. There's usually 1 bench put in your path when you find a new area and one that's a reward for exploration or combat.

Unless you've spent 6 hours not being able to scrounge the 200 shells it costs to get the Compass without dying (took me at least an hour and a half to cop on about defeating the shadow you leave behind when you die :D ) in which case you're doing it wrong!

Banjo wrote: »
    6 hours in you should have the Wayward Compass charm as an option and a couple of maps from the Mapmaker guy - That gives you a map with the locations of any places of interest and the ability to see where you are on it. Then once you have your bearings you can ditch the compass for something cooler for a while. The map definitely shows places of interest, fast travel points, benches, etc. Zr for the map I think. There's usually 1 bench put in your path when you find a new area and one that's a reward for exploration or combat.

Unless you've spent 6 hours not being able to scrounge the 200 shells it costs to get the Compass without dying (took me at least an hour and a half to cop on about defeating the shadow you leave behind when you die :D ) in which case you're doing it wrong!

Just checked there. Just over 5 hrs played actually, I have the Wayward Compass alright and have Dirtmouth, Green something and Forgotten Crossroads on my map. Haven't tried play in ages but I'm guessing I missed a power up or the map guy cos last few times I tried I just couldn't find a way forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Find Iselda in Dirtmouth (the first town) - she is the shopkeeper there.

You can buy pins from her to show you benches, stag stations, trams, hot springs and cocoons on the map.
    Should be one of the first things you do in Hollow Knight. Makes navigation less frustrating.

Must get back to Hollow Knight actually. I got stuck on the second Hornet fight.

Took ring fit adventure out of its box. Nice plastic and feel on the ring con yoke. Not sure if I've enough space to play this. Put it back in its box.

Wishing I had an Xbox one x, 55 inch 4k TV and red dead redemption 2 instead.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Took ring fit adventure out of its box. Nice plastic and feel on the ring con yoke. Not sure if I've enough space to play this. Put it back in its box.

Wishing I had an Xbox one x, 55 inch 4k TV and red dead redemption 2 instead.

:)

Reminds me I've really got to start using the Wii Fit U ... balance board has been stuck behind the sofa for about 4 years :pac:

• Advertisement

Launched into Mario and Rabbids Kingdom Battle last night. Which I got cheap on the SA eshop recently. Played it before but got frustrated with it mainly cause I didn't take the time to learn how to play it properly.

It's good to get back ... taking my time and trying to learn all the tactics ... It's a very enjoyable relaxing game to play. Maybe this will become my strategy game gateway drug :)

chrislad wrote: »
    I ended on 9 red/brutality, 6 green, 8 purple. Used knives, bow, and wolf trap with ice grenade. My health was about 20k - one of my mutations was 50% health extra but food doesn't heal. Also took extra DPS after killing an enemy. Definitely not Ninja like reflexes, if anything age has dulled them! Fortnite building with my son is beyond me!

I'm half way through the second playthrough now.

Picked it up last night. Have it on Xbox but haven't played it in a long time and didnt make much progress then. Beat first boss there but ended up in Stilt Village after that and got hammered. Took that 50% more health mutation which helped a lot for the boss, figured for the amount of times I pick up food 50% health would be more value.

Looking forward to giving it another bash in a while and hopefully get better drops as I progess. Perfect game for Switch reckon I'll get more use out of it handheld than on Xbox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Playing Doom 3 at the moment. I really like it so far, slower paced than the average Doom game but a much more horror, survival horror feel to it

Played Gris for a couple of hours last night.
    Got it reduced at the e-shop sale recently (SA store).
    It's an interactive piece of art with very chilled platforming and puzzles. It's astounding at times.
    Definitely worth considering if you want to try something different. But probably wait for the next sale.
    I think it's best played with zero external interruptions or noise and on a big screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Playing Doom 3 at the moment. I really like it so far, slower paced than the average Doom game but a much more horror, survival horror feel to it

Finished it recently and really enjoyed it too.

Starting into Metro 2033 now. It's a fantastic port. Really smooth, and FPS tend to be tricky on the switch. I do have the Horizon split pad though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Played Gris for a couple of hours last night.
    Got it reduced at the e-shop sale recently (SA store).
    It's an interactive piece of art with very chilled platforming and puzzles. It's astounding at times.
    Definitely worth considering if you want to try something different. But probably wait for the next sale.
    I think it's best played with zero external interruptions or noise and on a big screen.

I love Gris. Played through it a couple of times just to enjoy the art style. Get your headphones out when playing too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Xofpod

Picked up Rive very cheaply on the eshop. I know it's been knocking around forever but my first time looking at it. Fast paced 2-stick shooter, great fun to dip in and out of.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Mr E wrote: »
    I saw a review on youtube a few days ago recommending Willy Jetman: Astro Monkey's Revenge and it's a great game.

It's an action platformer with a 16-bit style where you're a little spaceman and you have to pick up junk from around each level to unlock the exit.
    There are lots of enemies who get progressively stronger the further you get.

You have a little jetpack for limited flying (it recharges when you stand still). Good physics too (if you jump, then jetpack, you get a boost)

There are weapons you pick up which you can upgrade.
    There is an experience/levelling system.
    You pick up crystals for currency.
    There are hidden areas and challenge rooms.
    Lovely chiptune music.
    Good sense of humour.
    A bit metroidvania-ish too (you can backtrack and teleport to earlier levels/areas)

It's a really good challenge too, but it's fair - if you die, it's because you were careless.

Watch a gameplay trailer below.
    On sale until Sunday for under a tenner.
    https://eshop-prices.com/games/3759-willy-jetman-astromonkey-s-revenge?currency=EUR

I bought about 8 games in April (haven't even loaded some of them) and I'm still playing this. Such a great game - my favourite this year so far. I'm about 10 hours in and in the third set of levels (out of 4) so it's great value, and seriously hard in places, but in a good way.

Mr E wrote: »
    I bought about 8 games in April (haven't even loaded some of them) and I'm still playing this. Such a great game - my favourite this year so far. I'm about 10 hours in and in the third set of levels (out of 4) so it's great value, and seriously hard in places, but in a good way.

Added to my Deku Deals wishlist ... ;)
    .. wondering if Jeff Minter has any plans for the Nintendo Switch ...

Also, waiting for Grid to drop in price ... 'cause I want a decent realistic racer for the Switch.

The only other games on my wish list that I think I'd actually buy, once they are on sale are: Cuphead, Gorogoa, Inside, Mega Man 11, Pikuniku, Shovel Knight Treasure Trove.

Will get the cross platform tech intensive AAA stuff like the Witcher on a PS4 or XBox One X or their successors ... one day ...

After that, I'm only interested in Nintendo's new stuff, which they should announce any year now :):(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Does anyone know if it's possible to complete the Splatoon 2 tutorial without using motion controls? Or if it's possible to turn them off for the tutorial?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭pasta-solo

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if it's possible to complete the Splatoon 2 tutorial without using motion controls? Or if it's possible to turn them off for the tutorial?

If its anything like the full game, you can switch them off after the tutorial. That said, its worth learning to use them if you can, they drastically improve your game. I hated them initially, but now I find it weird to play an shooter using a controller with motion aiming.

pasta-solo wrote: »
    If its anything like the full game, you can switch them off after the tutorial. That said, its worth learning to use them if you can, they drastically improve your game. I hated them initially, but now I find it weird to play an shooter using a controller with motion aiming.

Ok thanks. I'll just play the tutorial docked using the Pro Controller, then turn them off and go back to using handheld with the Split Pad Pro. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭pasta-solo

I finished Bulletstorm last night. Overall, its a lot of fun - good variety of weapons and enemies, with fast paced action. Was beginning to tire of it at the end to be honest - specifically the "comedy" which is beyond irritatingly unfunny. Cutscenes can be skipped thankfully, but you're constantly plagued by computer controlled sidekicks. They may be trying to parody action game stereotypes, but all the same these sidekicks keep talking and they are truly unfunny. But I'd still recommend the game for the fun action!

Next up is Ghostbusters, which is on sale at the moment (~€11 in SA).

Still playing Animal Crossing too, 120 hours later! What a game!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I dipped back into the Mega Drive Collection and decided to have a nosey at the Extras section - specifically the challenges & achievements. I have found this collection a bit disappointing, partly because the line-up is good rather than great and partly because it turns out that outside of a small handful of cherished games (the Shinobi games, Gunstar Heroes, Puyo Puyo/ Dr Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine), I don't have much nostalgia for Mega Drive games.

Having said that, I dipped into the challenges section today and I can see the appeal of that, if they're done right. There's one for Shadow Dancer which is a timing challenge more than anything else, but there's also a boss fight challenge for one of the RPGs on there that got me interested in trying out the game (Beyond Oasis, which looks like it might be a LttP-like game and thus something I might enjoy).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Is the Splatoon demo out now and how big is the download?

DeSelby83 wrote: »
    Is the Splatoon demo out now and how big is the download?

Yes it's out and showing as 4.1GB for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Satturnfalls

busted out mario golf 64. didnt remember it being as hard to unlock characters luigi was a few atempts but after i got him a the next few were easy enough.

Dragged myself away from Dragon Quest XI last night and played a couple of hours of Splatoon 2 after not playing for a good few months. Great game, nice to dip in and out of and matches are pretty quick. Its a pity Nintendo make online chat so much more difficult that the other platforms, there's some great potential with games like this and it takes the shine off multiplayer with friends having to jump through hoops to get a chat session going instead of just pressing a button.

Finished Gris.
    Always great to finish a good game.
    Wonderful stuff.
    I love how the world is huge but you don't get lost.
    It's like the anti metroid vania.
    It explores grief and recovery.
    It's dreamlike in places.
    Anyway, one to recommend if you see it on sale.
    It's not streets of rage. Streets of sage maybe. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

Had a busy evening yesterday. Jumped back in to Splatoon with the demo. Disappointed my old save didn't boot with it. Dunno if I deleted or if it won't work with the demo. Either way, this game is still fantastic. Did surprisingly well considering I haven't played in over a year.
    Streets of Rage 4 looks and plays great. Loving it so far.
    Picked up Invisigun Reloaded for €1 to play multiplayer with friends. Great concept, tricky to master. Think Bomberman but you can't see your character until he shoots or bumps into something. But then everyone can see him. Hope to try it out with friends tonight.

Advertisement