Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you Put a 26 inch bar on a Husky 460 Rancher

• 27-05-2014 5:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 281 ✭✭

Put a 26 inch bar on a Husky 460 Rancher???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭Phil_Lives

max recommended bar length is 20"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 281 ✭✭invicta

It is!
    But on the odd occasion you would need it,?
    Just until you'd get down to 2 or 2.5 ft rings, then change back to your 20 inch bar? The saw itself seems to have plenty of power with that bar.
    The tree in question (beech) has buttrot,so firewood is the only alternative

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭Phil_Lives

That's an awful lot of 3/8 chain teeth to be sharpening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Reindeer

If there is significant rot, it might work to use a 20" bar. A 24" bar is pushing it. I also couldn't tell you whether the oiler could keep that much chain lubricated enough on that saw as it would not have been designed to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Question for OP what is the max diameter of the rings you are cutting?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Probably have to change the sprocket as well for a smaller one, thats an awful lot of bar for a 60cc saw.
    Personally I wouldn't do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭sthilmick

what size timber are you cutting ? a 26 inch bar will cut 52 inches of a log that's 4ft 4 that's massive ain't too many of those sticks out there . A 60cc saw with a 20 in bar on a 3/8 pitch is a lot especially a farmers saw I think you'll pull the guts out of the saw and you'll be very slow at cutting.A saw is at its most best when working as close as possible to its max RPM .I had a Stihl 391 (its called the farm boss in the usa witch is their version of the rancher) witch is 65 cc and I had a 20 inch bar on it and I felt it was slow. I replaced the saw with a 362 professional saw and it worked way better with the 20 in bar but I've since put a 16 in on and its a better job again will keep the 20 in for for the odd big stick I come across but it'll be mostly the 16in for me .

sthilmick wrote: »
    what size timber are you cutting ? a 26 inch bar will cut 52 inches of a log that's 4ft 4 that's massive ain't too many of those sticks out there .

And a 26 inch bar will cut down a tree in around 65 inches thats 5ft 4 yet alot of people dont realise or know this. I was working away from home at a job and had to call to a tool hire for chain oil and i heard a customer being told that he needs a bar to be as big to what he wants to cut. He ended up ordering a 28 inch bar anyway for his timber that was just over 2 feet.
    I had a Stihl 391 (its called the farm boss in the usa witch is their version of the rancher) witch is 65 cc and I had a 20 inch bar on it and I felt it was slow. I replaced the saw with a 362 professional saw and it worked way better with the 20 in bar

Whenever you compare a professional saw to a semi pro the semi pro will always lose, its not fair trying to compare the 2. As for the 391 an exhaust mod and a tune up really wakes up those saws.

I'd agree with you but if you tune up and modify the exhaust and run the saw hard you'll run the risk of melting the plastic crankcase on it . I have seen this done I cant remember what model of husky it was but it was a decent farmers saw just not able for 8hr days flat to the board . Also I have a 261 pro saw and the step back to the farmer/semi pro range was killing me . I'm not a full time timber man but I do spend a fair time sawing and I was offering my opinion as to the choice of bar length for the saws from my own experiences of saws and bars

And a 26 inch bar will cut down a tree in around 65 inches thats 5ft 4 yet alot of people dont realise or know this.
    This is correct but most guys are not trained in sawing techniques you seem to know your stuff . My point was to explain to the guy that when he's cutting he can double the cut by cutting on 1 side then the other . I'm sure you'll agree that bar length is a kinda of a macho thing with some guys guess they're watching too much axe men on the telly . You see it every day in the hard wear shops 50cc saws with 20in bars . What they don't realize is they have skip chains on them with 1/3 less teeth . I got a 13in on my 50cc and a 16 on my 60cc and they look like electric carving knifes but they are fair quick saws and a bit lighter to haul around the wood plus less teeth to sharpen too and very east to control when brashing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 226 ✭✭deckycoop

i have A 038 stihl magnum.. 72 cc.. what wud the max bar length be for this saw.. i have a 20 bar on it and its lots but im just wondering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

deckycoop wrote: »
    i have A 038 stihl magnum.. 72 cc.. what wud the max bar length be for this saw.. i have a 20 bar on it and its lots but im just wondering.

Full comp chain probably 28" would be your max, 32" with full skip.
    I wouldn't run any more than that and TBH thats a huge bar for here.
    I have seen a 5 ft Macrocapa felled with a 20" on a 372 with a bit of bore cutting.

yeah a 28in is some bar to be fair and plenty for the 038 I have seen a 4ft bar on a sthil 880 it's a monster . My cousin has a 3120 husky with a 3ft bar and its an animal used it once to buck big beech just stood there while the saw dust piled up around my knees it runs a .404 chain it leaves savage shavings . I'd say the 20in bar is great on that saw it would travel through the timber nicely and the saw wouldn't be under too much pressure either in hardwood . Big bars are expensive to buy chains are dearer and the saw becomes very cumbersome and the amount of time you spend at full diameter is minimal too the next saw I buy will be in the 70cc range and I'll probably stick the 20in on it might get a 24in to have in reserve but it all depends on the timber I'm cutting the 362 is ample at the moment I'm mostly cutting first and second thinning's for fire wood I made a log holder for the work and that is why I origanly bought the 391 as it was hard on the 261 when I'd stick in some black thorn and the like check it out its on you tube it's called "YELLA LOG HOLDER" see what you guys think. I'm pretty happy with it I cant up load the video as I'm a junior member

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Full comp chain probably 28" would be your max, 32" with full skip.

Is 4 inches all one can gain to go from going full comp to full skip?

Advertisement