Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1970 outboard outboard spare parts

• 27-05-2014 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi

Does anyone know were I can find spare parts for a 1970 evinrude outboard model 60073b.
    I'm looking for possible lower gearbox and throttle control which may be manual hydro-electric.

Any help, addresses or suggestions would be welcomes.

Regards

Maalchy

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

I'm not sure of anywhere in Galway but OB Marine in Dublin http://www.yelp.ie/biz/ob-marine-ltd-finglas have a good selection of older engine parts and might be worth a call.
    You could also try putting an add on Adverts or DoneDeal someone might have the parts your looking for.
    Most of the parts are still available so if you know what part is gone you should be able to pick it up on line.

18.png

• Registered Users Posts: 22 malhiggins

Morning Fergal.

Thanks for the advice and the diagram. I have already downloaded the model 60073b manual from an American website for starters.

regards

Malachy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭breghall

what's the issue your trying to fix Malhiggins?

Hi.

The gearbox was disconnected from the main engine and I was told it might need replacing. I know nothing about engines or gearboxes but I'm doing research on the subject.

Malachy

those gear boxes are a bit more tricky than most, in that that they use solenoids and a cable system instead of a shift rod to change gear. At the very least remove the screws (#45) and see if there are any metal shards attached to them, if so then the gears have been chewing each other. Also the oil shouldn't be a milky colour if so then there is water getting into the gear housing.

It'll be hard enough to fully check the workings of the lower unit if you don't have the controls ( i guess you don't by your first post). even in gear the prop shaft will turn easily.. does it??

• Advertisement

Hi.

Thanks for this advice. At the minute I’m working away from home and won’t be returning there until this weekend. When I get the engine last Thursday the seller said the main engine is ok and there was a problem with the gearbox and it has been laying for a while. From what I can remember the shaft turns ok and also turns the prop shaft. The outboard come in 4 parts (1) main engine (2) gearbox (3) throttle control, with front cover missing, (4) small box of assorted parts, which looked like a solenoid or magnet looking object.

If you don’t mind I would like to get back to you on this matter as you would appear very knowledgeable on this subject.

Regards

Malachy

malhiggins wrote: »
    Hi.

Thanks for this advice. At the minute I’m working away from home and won’t be returning there until this weekend. When I get the engine last Thursday the seller said the main engine is ok and there was a problem with the gearbox and it has been laying for a while. From what I can remember the shaft turns ok and also turns the prop shaft. The outboard come in 4 parts (1) main engine (2) gearbox (3) throttle control, with front cover missing, (4) small box of assorted parts, which looked like a solenoid or magnet looking object.

If you don’t mind I would like to get back to you on this matter as you would appear very knowledgeable on this subject.

Regards

Malachy

I can't claim to know much about the hydro electric gearboxes, just used to getting grief from standard ones once in a while thats all. Let us know when you have it to hand and we can see what we can do.

Advertisement