Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mysterious flowers appeared, i/d please?

• 27-05-2014 5:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,665 ✭✭✭

On a large spoil heap of earth, (dug out from two sites in different corners of the garden) a number of tall plants have appeared:
    They have purple trumpet-like flowers with yellow middles, are about 18" tall, have deeply lobed leaves and a thick rhizome-like stem. In general habit something like an Umbellifer, but not that kind of flower.
    Suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,678 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I think its a hardy geranium - check out G. pratense ‘Plenum Violaceum’ on this page http://www.perryhillnurseries.co.uk/catalogue/perennials/geranium/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,665 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Thank you - the leaves look about right too.

I feel however that the plant doesn't feel like a member of Geranaceae to me - it's so upright and robust!

Any other suggestions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Is that it's foliage? Cause that don't look like Geranium although I am open to being wrong, used to it lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 67 ✭✭TAZ32

katemarch wrote: »
    On a large spoil heap of earth, (dug out from two sites in different corners of the garden) a number of tall plants have appeared:
    They have purple trumpet-like flowers with yellow middles, are about 18" tall, have deeply lobed leaves and a thick rhizome-like stem. In general habit something like an Umbellifer, but not that kind of flower.
    Suggestions?

Hi Katemarch

That plant you have linked to is Solanum laciniatum, will happily self seed , if left to grow in a sheltered spot, seed pods form orange balls in spring. Its related to the potato, tomato and aubergine, a nice finely cut leaved plant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,665 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Hello Taz, and thank you: I have checked and that is definitely it! Also known as the Kangaroo Apple, apparently.

:-)

No IDEA how it got into my garden - but it seems like an omen for personal reasons. Do you know if I can transplant it? Must we re-seed it annually?

Probably poisonous, I'd guess, like many Solanaceae: but Wiki-commons tells me that it has been studied for compounds that may have contraceptive uses!!

Delighted with the response - thanks all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 67 ✭✭TAZ32

katemarch wrote: »
    Hello Taz, and thank you: I have checked and that is definitely it! Also known as the Kangaroo Apple, apparently.

:-)

No IDEA how it got into my garden - but it seems like an omen for personal reasons. Do you know if I can transplant it? Must we re-seed it annually?

Probably poisonous, I'd guess, like many Solanaceae: but Wiki-commons tells me that it has been studied for compounds that may have contraceptive uses!!

Delighted with the response - thanks all

hi kate

that plant you have looks reasonably small, they are relatively quick growing. it should'nt be a problem to transplant, just have the new hole dug in advance and keep it watered for a week or two. i can see its flowering and its not the best time to do it but if needs be.
    there is plenty of poisonous plants in everybody's gardens, the chances of anything happening are so slim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

You could try taking cuttings during the summer while waiting for it to seed.

Advertisement