Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Diarmuid Connolly

• 27-05-2014 7:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭

I see that Diarmuid Connolly has been "sentenced" to 80 hours community service teaching kids GAA. What a load of crap!!! They courts should make him do it in Castlebar!!!!
    The disgraced bankers will probably do theirs in their local credit union.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

You feel better now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

In fairness, the judge is obliged to consider things like 'no previous' and 'off good character' but I agree that sentencing him to do something he would arguably enjoy seems counter productive.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭wazzer1

Be no harm to do it in Castlebar, seeing as he already gave them a lesson in how to play football on Paddys day :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

In fairness, the judge is obliged to consider things like 'no previous' and 'off good character' but I agree that sentencing him to do something he would arguably enjoy seems counter productive.

The guy is a football player, but that is no guarantee that he will enjoy training kids.

Plus is it not better for the kids that they get the chance to learn football from a top player, rather than a former bank executive !

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭jacko

shocking decision. So a scumbag beats up someone in a nightclub. His punishment is to coach kids and become a role model for them. What a joke.

1. Dublin GAA should have had the balls to put their foot down and drop him from the panel while the case is pending. Behavior like that should not be tolerated and to have him representing the county is poor form.

2. If the judge is going to cop out and give a mickey mouse punishment like community service then he should be out on the streets picking up dog sh!t.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

That would involve Dublin GAA isolating one of its top players
    Ain't going to happen, or for any other county either

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    That would involve Dublin GAA isolating one of its top players
    Ain't going to happen, or for any other county either

yea, that's just the way it is i guess, still doesn't make it right :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭Past30Now

jacko wrote: »
    shocking decision. So a scumbag beats up someone in a nightclub. His punishment is to coach kids and become a role model for them. What a joke.

1. Dublin GAA should have had the balls to put their foot down and drop him from the panel while the case is pending. Behavior like that should not be tolerated and to have him representing the county is poor form.

Complete rubbish. Have you never heard of the maxim of innocent until proved otherwise.
    2. If the judge is going to cop out and give a mickey mouse punishment like community service then he should be out on the streets picking up dog sh!t.

What do you consider an appropriate punishment in this case? A judge, who clearly has a great deal of experience in these matters, has decided that 80 hours community service is the appropriate service.

He did wrong, he's gone through a court case, and has been found guilty and appropriately punished, as far as the presiding judge is concerned. Apart from that, he is a senior inter county footballer, All Ireland winner for club and county, who through hard work and dedication has become one of the top 5 players in the country. He is a great example to our kids, and he'd be welcome to my club anytime.

I can't believe my 100th post was defending a Vincents player. I feel ill.

Past30Now wrote: »
    Complete rubbish. Have you never heard of the maxim of innocent until proved otherwise.

What do you consider an appropriate punishment in this case? A judge, who clearly has a great deal of experience in these matters, has decided that 80 hours community service is the appropriate service.

He did wrong, he's gone through a court case, and has been found guilty and appropriately punished, as far as the presiding judge is concerned. Apart from that, he is a senior inter county footballer, All Ireland winner for club and county, who through hard work and dedication has become one of the top 5 players in the country. He is a great example to our kids, and he'd be welcome to my club anytime.

he was already found guilty and admitted guilt.
    yesterday was his sentencing.
    I would have though county teams would have codes of discipline for players and management

• Advertisement

Past30Now wrote: »

I think you're missing something here... he has admitted guilt

I consider the 'punishment' completely inappropriate. By coaching these kids he is going to become a role model for them. I for one would love for an intercounty player to come to my club, but under much much different circumstances.

As I stated, put him out picking up rubbish or dog sh!t. Let people see him doing something that he would absolutely hate doing, coaching kids is not exactly going to be much of a punishment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭TheGoldenAges

I consider the 'punishment' completely inappropriate. By coaching these kids he is going to become a role model for them. I for one would love for an intercounty player to come to my club, but under much much different circumstances.

As I stated, put him out picking up rubbish or dog sh!t. Let people see him doing something that he would absolutely hate doing, coaching kids is not exactly going to be much of a punishment.

Yes but it'll be better good for the wider community to have a footballer many kids admire due to being a top player on the pitch coaching, might keep kids active, fit and out of trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭freddiek

guarantee you if he hailed from a less successful county without a media profile he'd have got jail or a lesser but more appropriate punishment than this ridiculous little 'slap on the wrist' from the Judge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

The weekly anti Dublin thread turns its attention to Diarmuid Connolly.

If only we could go back through the years and check whether every county player ever convicted of a minor offence was similarly treated. There were loads of lads who got picked for county teams and club teams because of their hard man reputation (often proven in District Courts of a Monday morning).

In reality there is nothing to see here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

freddiek wrote: »
    guarantee you if he hailed from a less successful county without a media profile he'd have got jail or a lesser but more appropriate punishment than this ridiculous little 'slap on the wrist' from the Judge.

Guarantee if it wasn't a Dublin player we wouldn't hear your opinion on the matter ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Come on now Dublin posters. No need to wheel round the wagons. It is a pretty lenient sentence to be fair. The real issue here is, will it to do him any good or will he have to learn his lesson further down the road? At the end of the day, footballer or not, this guy committed a worrying act that he shouldn't have and needs to serve sufficient punishment and treatment for it. He seems to have anger issues, some compulsory treatment for such things would have served both him and the community far better.

freddiek wrote: »

http://emigrant.scoilpac.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=67851&Itemid=24

It took 11 convictions for this GAA player to finally get a custodial sentence, and even on the 12th, his manager gave him a charcter reference.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/0306/600487-aloysius-hackett/

Another GAA man who killed his father defended by a GAA manager. (at least he got a life sentence)

http://www.thestar.ie/star/no-jail-for-gaa-star-kenneth-darby-who-broke-opponents-jaw-in-three-places-27285/

Breaking an opponent's jaw and no jail.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/gaa-star-to-make-donation-after-player-assault-177088.html

James McCartan didn't even do community service.

http://westcorktimes.com/home/archives/2637

A €1,000 fine, someone taking the mickey?

https://www.esforum.org/showthread.php?tid=4292

Another one gets away

Give it up on the anti-Dublin rants.

Come on now Dublin posters. No need to wheel round the wagons. It is a pretty lenient sentence to be fair. The real issue here is, will it to do him any good or will he have to learn his lesson further down the road? At the end of the day, footballer or not, this guy committed a worrying act that he shouldn't have and needs to serve sufficient punishment and treatment for it. He seems to have anger issues, some compulsory treatment for such things would have served both him and the community far better.

LOL, find me examples of GAA players anywhere else in the country being similarly harshly treated.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Woodround

Godge wrote: »
    If only we could go back through the years and check whether every county player ever convicted of a minor offence was similarly treated.

In fairness it was far from a 'minor offence'.

He subjected a man to an unprovoked attack. He punched him in the face for absolutely no reason, knocking him to the ground and then continued to punch the the lad while he was defenceless on the ground. He fractured the lads eye socket, which is an horrific injury to experience.

Nothing minor about any of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

In fairness it does seem bizarre to send a guy who has been convicted of a fairly serious violent assault off to work with kids for 80 hours.

Don't you normally need Garda clearance if you want to work with kids?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 103 ✭✭hairycakes

I think it is a pretty lenient sentence regardless of who committed the crime, Dublin footballer or not. I also wouldn't see it as much of a punishment for an intercounty footballer (Dublin doesn't come into it). It'll be great for the kids and probably the coaches too but where is the punishment in getting fawned over at a club?

Nobody said he had to go to jail.

In the examples you offered, one guy got a 3 year suspended sentence and paid over 12 grand, McCartan had to pay 10 grand plus over a grand legal expenses, those were single punches in the heat of a match. Connolly's was a sustained unprovoked assault on a randomer. Do you know the force required to do that to someone's eye-socket? Your biased posts are doing his case no favours.

He seems to have anger issues, some compulsory treatment for such things would have served both him and the community far better.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/gaa-star-ordered-to-coach-youngsters-after-pub-attack-30310031.html

"He had also been ordered to complete an anger-management course"

Woodround wrote: »
    In fairness it was far from a 'minor offence'.

He subjected a man to an unprovoked attack. He punched him in the face for absolutely no reason, knocking him to the ground and then continued to punch the the lad while he was defenceless on the ground. He fractured the lads eye socket, which is an horrific injury to experience.

Nothing minor about any of that.

And breaking someone's jaw ala James McCartan warrants a lesser sentence without community service? Need a bit of perspective here.

keane2097 wrote: »
    In fairness it does seem bizarre to send a guy who has been convicted of a fairly serious violent assault off to work with kids for 80 hours.

Don't you normally need Garda clearance if you want to work with kids?

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/justice/criminal_law/criminal_trial/types_of_sentences.html

"Community service orders (CSOs) are provided for by the Criminal Justice (Community Service) Act 1983. For your punishment, you are required to do some work which is beneficial to the community. CSOs are imposed by a judge instead of a prison sentence.

A number of considerations must be met before a CSO can be made by a judge:

You must be suitable for community service (The judge orders a probation report to decide whether you are suitable for a CSO)
    Suitable community work must be available for you to do
    You must agree to the CSO
    The total number of hours of community service cannot exceed 240 hours and you must complete the community service within one year of the making of the order."

In this case the judge ordered a probation report and acted appropriately upon receipt.

There are plenty of examples from Ireland and the UK of sportsmen carrying out similar community service.

Sorry Jacko, I read your point 1 above as referring to the period between the offence and the trial, i.e. while the case was pending. My point was during that period Dublin would have been wrong to act while the case was pending, and possibly prejudicial to his case.

As for them acting since the trial, and before the sentencing, I'd suggest Dublin would also have been wrong. Even now, I don't see a good reason for them to act against DC. He committed a crime, was convicted in a court of law, appropriately punished, and will now serve his sentence.

Finally, 80 hours of community service, whether cleaning up dogsh!t or training kids, is a lot of time.

I just realised that another of your examples is a case involving a man who had mental issues ranging up to and including schizophrenia. It is shameful the depths some people will go to make their case sound more believable on an internet forum.

Nobody said he had to go to jail.

In the examples you offered, one guy got a 3 year suspended sentence and paid over 12 grand, McCartan had to pay 10 grand plus over a grand legal expenses, those were single punches in the heat of a match. Connolly's was a sustained unprovoked assault on a randomer. Do you know the force required to do that to someone's eye-socket? Your biased posts are doing his case no favours.

My posts have no effect on his conviction. He was tried fairly, convicted and sentenced in accordance with the law of the land. I have no problem with that and there are many examples of people being treated similarly or more leniently. I have restricted my examples to the world of sport but I could produce many others.

Fair enough. Seems like a lenient sentence compared to the status quo but I'm not exactly a big fan of retributive justice in any case so wouldn't have a big issue with it.

Hopefully he puts his back into it and the kids get a lot out of it. I'm sure he will.

Also fingers crossed he's taken the anger management seriously, could be a big benefit to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

In fairness to Connolly, he admitted guilt, offered compensation to the victim (who refused it) and then gave the compensation to charity (and the judge said the amount donated exceeded the maximum fine the courts could have imposed) so it sounds to me like a guy who was really contrite and his victim did not seem to want anything other than a guilty verdict so I can't see the point of imposing a harsher sentence than was imposed here. However I agree it seems strange to send him off to work with kids - it might have been better to get him to work with victims of assault so that he can see the impact of senseless assaults and might ensure he learns his lesson.

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    In fairness to Connolly, he admitted guilt, offered compensation to the victim (who refused it) and then gave the compensation to charity (and the judge said the amount donated exceeded the maximum fine the courts could have imposed) so it sounds to me like a guy who was really contrite and his victim did not seem to want anything other than a guilty verdict so I can't see the point of imposing a harsher sentence than was imposed here. However I agree it seems strange to send him off to work with kids - it might have been better to get him to work with victims of assault so that he can see the impact of senseless assaults and might ensure he learns his lesson.

In fairness to Connolly, after the obviously dreadful initial act he's more or less acted as well as he could have in the aftermath.

• Advertisement

My posts have no effect on his conviction. He was tried fairly, convicted and sentenced in accordance with the law of the land. I have no problem with that and there are many examples of people being treated similarly or more leniently. I have restricted my examples to the world of sport but I could produce many others.

No you haven't actually, I just displayed how these lesser assaults you listed (one of which involved a man who was mentally unstable - frankly a ludicrous example to offer) actually carried harsher punishments. He offered 5 grand, McCartan had to pay well over double that figure for a single strike in a match. Your point was that they didn't go to jail, but nobody said Connolly had to go to jail. Your examples were not treated anywhere near as leniently, in fact they were more harsh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

tbh if we came from a smaller county the guards would probably never have lifted him in the first place

"oh jaysus, tis diarmuid..shake and go home lads, dere'll be no more said about"

Bambi
    tbh if we came from a smaller county the guards would probably never have lifted him in the first place
    "oh jaysus, tis diarmuid..shake and go home lads, dere'll be no more said about"

Obviously you missed the litany of examples of guys going to court from outside Dublin offered on the last page...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Feeling that Diarmuid Connolly got quite a lenient sentence/questionable punishment for an unprovoked violent assault should'nt be misconstrued as an anti Dublin rant.Does seem a tad strange for somebody convicted of such an offence to be put doing community service with children
    He is a wonderful footballer and hopefully will put his talents to good use with the next generation and get a handle on his anger management issues.

I don't think ANYBODY should get a lenient sentence just because they are willing to pay money to charity.
    It shouldn't even be part of the consideration by a judge

In that case, lots of people would buy their way out of a more serious sentence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Bambi

Obviously you missed the litany of examples of guys going to court from outside Dublin offered on the last page...

obviously you missed the word "probably" ;)

• Advertisement

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    I don't think ANYBODY should get a lenient sentence just because they are willing to pay money to charity.
    It shouldn't even be part of the consideration by a judge

In that case, lots of people would buy their way out of a more serious sentence.

There's a moral problem with that certainly where poor people go to jail while rich people can pay up but it's probably not for this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭freddiek

seligehgit wrote: »
    Feeling that Diarmuid Connolly got quite a lenient sentence/questionable punishment for an unprovoked violent assault should'nt be misconstrued as an anti Dublin rant.Does seem a tad strange for somebody convicted of such an offence to be put doing community service with children
    He is a wonderful footballer and hopefully will put his talents to good use with the next generation and get a handle on his anger management issues.

some of these Dub posters have very thin skins.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Woodround

Godge wrote: »
    And breaking someone's jaw ala James McCartan warrants a lesser sentence without community service? Need a bit of perspective here.

Where did I see it did or didn't?

I just pointed out that the crime that was committed was far from a 'minor offence'. Whether it was Connolly, McCartan or anyone else is irrelevant.

You are the one that needs perspective as you are the one who described an unprovoked attack causing serious injury as a minor offence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

I am in agreement that it looks like a lenient sentence, however, he was tried and convicted in a court of law. I think that ends it. There is no defending his assault, he did not try to himself, he admitted guilt much like to other players mentioned.

There are some Dublin supporters trying to hard to defend him and some with what seems like witch hunt to have him hung drawn and quartered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Do we have any legal experts in the house?

What would usually be considered a "normal" sentence for someone in DC's position. If you plead guilty, you do what the court told you to do re paying compensation, you had no previous convictions for anything and you have kept your nose clean since the incident....what sentence could the average Joe, in the same position, expect to get?

Would a custodial sentence be the norm for someone on their first conviction? I find that hard to believe, when we seem to have God knows how many people with dozens of convictions to their name, wandering the streets scot free.

It is very easy to say that he got off lightly because he is an inter county footballer, but if community service is the norm for situations like these, then he just got the same treatment as every one else. I am not saying he did, I am just asking the question, as to what the "norm" would be in situations like these.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Not sure what the merits of his sentence have to with GAA but hopefully events have thought him a lessen. Won't affect his game.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

corny wrote: »
    Not sure what the merits of his sentence have to with GAA but hopefully events have thought him a lessen. Won't affect his game.
    I do think this has helped him become a better player. In 2012 and before, he was a liability to Dublin if you look at his red cards against Wexford and Donegal and his antics against Kildare in the O'Byrne Cup, he couldn't be trusted and opposition players knew he would react if they wound him up. He seems to have gotten rid of this aspect of his game and become a better player because of it (unfortunately).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

A pure black guard, only in Ireland would a fella get off with this sort of carry on,

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Lucas Castroman

STB wrote: »
    He'd be better off teaching the Mayo Seniors how to kick points.

I am not condoning what he did, but I'll tell you what, the posts here are nothing short of shocking from supposed GAA fans. Thing is what he does on the pitch is what matters and I'd guess thats what truly pisses off other not so level headed fans not from Dublin.

John 8:7 lads...... back to AH with it.

Disturbingly idiotic comment. Does Dublin GAA not operate by any moral code whatsoever? Does anything go? Violent criminals? Rapists? Paedophiles? Murderers? The silence is deafening from Dublin GAA - has any official statement been released?
    If they had any moral compass, they would suspend him for at least a year.
    The general consensus seems to be "who cares if he has a violent uncontrollable temper, he's some boy to kick a point"
    We are continually bombarded with how professional GAA players are nowadays, yet if this scenario involved a soccer player they would no doubt be suspended by their club.
    These players are portrayed as role models - what message does it portray if this goes unpunished?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Some wonderful experts posting on the GAA thread who never contributed to a GAA topic before. Makes you wonder about their motivation.

I actually think that this thread should be closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Lucas Castroman

Grats wrote: »
    Some wonderful experts posting on the GAA thread who never contributed to a GAA topic before. Makes you wonder about their motivation.

You've got me - this is a childish attempt to derail Dublin's Championship run so that my own backwater can have a shot.

I have little interest in GAA but this goes beyond and reflects societies attitude to violence - playing for Dublin is a prestigious opportunity. These players are role models. Your "win at all costs" mentality condones the behaviour of this player who has displayed he is violent, aggressive and dangerous both on and off the pitch.

If Dublin GAA wanted to make a statement about violent disorder they should suspend Diarmaid Connolly and condemn outrightly his behaviour - perhaps this would alienate "the hill". Instead, they have said nothing and in doing so, speak volumes about the mentality and lack of morality within GAA circles. Violence is a growing problem in this society - the GAA portray themselves as a bastion of irish society yet when they have had an opportunity to make a statement they have been found wanting.

This is something which really angers me and intend contacting the Dublin GAA county board regarding their apathy. Society has to be consistent in these matters. On one hand, we unreservedly abhor violence yet if somebody can kick a ball, it is acceptable for them to engage in a violent UNPROVOKED vicious assault.

Yes, close the thread when a genuine issue has been raised - maybe you like to keep things light and superficial around here.

Reading these posts is something of an education and helps me understand why society is rapidly disintegrating when such opinions/mentalities exist.

"it only matters what he does on the pitch"
    Go cheer your hero with a clear conscience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Meglamonia

Jesus I'm a Dub but saying what he does on the pitch is all that matter is a ridiculous statement.

Intercounty players have a responsibility and that's to act in a reasonable manner off the pitch not just for yourself but to all the kids that look up to you.It's not too hard to go and have a night out without punching the head off somebody.

Very lenient sentence,in what was a disturbing trait in Connolly's character he looks to have fixed it.But if some fans are only worried about what players behaviours are on the pitch then we have a problem I wouldn't have any player who repeatedly acts the maggot off the pitch anywhere near a county set up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭Anonymou

It was actually the fella Connolly attacked who decided the compensation should go to charity,not Connolly himself. Think it is a lenient sentence, but the biggest thing is he goes through with the anger management course. Sounded like an awful attack regardless of circumstances, and for such a talented footballer his behaviour on the pitch has let him down in the past, it's been evident on numerous occasions how short a fuse he has.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭largepants

Grats wrote: »

Why? Because you dont like what you are reading?

I actually admire Boards for allowing this topic to be discussed in this way. There is a complete blackout of this subject on others Gaa forums. Why is that I wonder?

I'd seriously question the thinking of the courts when putting a person with obvious anger issues working with kids. From experience thats anything but calming.

Anonymou wrote: »
    It was actually the fella Connolly attacked who decided the compensation should go to charity,not Connolly himself. Think it is a lenient sentence, but the biggest thing is he goes through with the anger management course. Sounded like an awful attack regardless of circumstances, and for such a talented footballer his behaviour on the pitch has let him down in the past, it's been evident on numerous occasions how short a fuse he has.

He turned down the money.
    Very strange

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement