Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The all new and only slightly recycled off topic thread (read post 1)

• 16-05-2013 5:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭trouttrout

Anyone think it would be a good idea? Soccer forum have one

Don't really post anywhere else on boards so might be handy! Just a suggestion

EDIT: Poll added

MOD EDIT:

Welcome to the Off Topic Thread.

This thread is for all things not-rugby related in the rugby forum. Engage and enjoy with your rugby buddies/rivals.

All discussion if fair game, so long as you follow a few simple rules...

The rules of this thread are broadly in line with the rugby forum charter. If you're unsure, please read it before posting.

In addition, this thread has specific rules, please be aware of them before posting.
    • No NSFW images: This is for discussion and banter, some people use this from work. No NSFW images of any kind will be tolerated, there are forums for that, if you want them, use them. To be clear - NSFW is defined as any image that people would not want to open in front of their boss in work or would be risky/inappropriate to have open in that context
    • No Rugby Talk: This is for non-rugby discussion, any tribalism, fighting or discussion of rugby related items will see the thread closed immediately.
    • No abuse: This isn't a free for all....
    • No discussion or mention of user bans from rugby forum:Any discussion of a user being banned including reasons or opinions is not allowed and any campaigns for user unbanning will see the thread closed. This includes speculation of re-regs.
    • No discussion of forum or thread rules, feedback etc: There are ways for raising these issues, this thread is not one of them.
    • Any challenge to the rules of the thread by a thread poster = thread closure: This thread is for off topic discussion we have set rules in place to ensure that this thread is used for it's intended purpose and runs smoothly. If you have a problem, PM a mod. If any user brings an OTT thread rule up for debate publicly, we will simply close the thread

Have fun....

So did you know it is nearly.... 5 votes

Christmas
    0% 0 votes
    Christmas
    20% 1 vote
    Christmas
    0% 0 votes
    Christmas
    40% 2 votes
    I really really hate you now......
    40% 2 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Can you explain further?

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭TheKeenMachine

Can you explain further?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055659964

The thread from the soccer forum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭trouttrout

Can you explain further?

Ya like this really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I won't say no because it won't do anyone any harm but I can't see myself using or reading an off topic thread to be honest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

So we can post anything here

ROG v sexton - go

• Advertisement

errlloyd wrote: »
    So we can post anything here

ROG v sexton - go

Presume if there was one Rugby would be a topic that wouldn't be up for discussion on it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Great idea, always thought there should be one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

An off topic thread is somewhere to talk about all sorts of random non rugby stuff. I have to say it works very well on other forums. It adds to the camaraderie and friendliness of the forum.

P_1 wrote: »
    An off topic thread is somewhere to talk about all sorts of random non rugby stuff. I have to say it works very well on other forums. It adds to the camaraderie and friendliness of the forum.

Ya it might cool tensions alright

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Off topics are a great idea, it brings the forum together.

The Rugby forum is huge and an off topic would certainly make it better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭lologram

Sounds like a decent idea. It can be a wee bit tense and snippy in here from time to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭TheGoldenAges

So... Some weather we're having

Random question I guess, but are there many female posters on this board.

I'm usually pretty good at not assuming everyone in a guy, but on this forum I just do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

Can't see any harm in it. Could be good for the forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Cormic

I think it is a good idea. It has gotten to a stage where this is the almost the only forum that I read on Boards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭andrewdcs

This is a fantastic idea.

Will mean I can let my personality / background / political beliefs / lack of religious beliefs / software developing / daft punk loving / learning to be a family man / CorknKerry smurfing / Luke Kelly fanaticising nature define me, not my blue and green tinted / half a clue about the game / random drop in nature define me.
    Will also mean I can converse publicly with 'my people' (Rugby people) of other faiths (munster fans), like I do at matches/ in pubs and in other places where I'm a massive bore in person, while talking beyond those faiths, like I can in TRW (disclosure: my missus is a Red Under the Bed, despite being from County Dublin... we have picture of munsters HC wins in the house..... and none of my own lovely lee-einster.

So Mods, if we had one could it be stickied?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

trouttrout wrote: »
    So Mods, if we had one could it be stickied?

Honestly don't think it would need to be stickied, other off topic threads are never far from the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭RoundBox11

So eh.. where do we start off? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Can't see it doing any harm but I doubt I'll use it. I don't read most of the super-threads as is

• Advertisement

RoundBox11 wrote: »
    So eh.. where do we start off? :P

Suppose we'll wait for the mods to ok it first!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

TBH, I find the signal:noise ratio in this forum to be poor enough as it is. An off-topic thread cannot possibly improve that.

(TL;DR: No)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

Maybe it's just me, but I think this place has gotten really tightly wound recently, so much so that some perspectives and key words lead to pages of repetitive, banal arguments.

An off-topic thread could be a good easer of tensions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Well does anybody want to start an off-topic discussion?? In other news....I recently broke my ankle......but I broke it playing rugby so it's not really off topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭19543261

GiftofGab wrote: »
    Well does anybody want to start an off-topic discussion?? In other news....I recently broke my ankle......but I broke it playing rugby so it's not really off topic.

No, no. It needs to be really off topic. Like, a squirrels gait upon waking from a disturbed hibernation.

I'm on board with this. This is the only part of boards I visit, unless I have problems I want other people to sort for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭ConFurioso

Suppose we could start off by introducing ourselves......or is that a wee bit AA?

Anyways, it doesn't have to be completely rugby free. It's more about getting to know the posters.

I was under the poster name Funky Penguin for about 10 years, but that profile is gone. I currently live in Japan, and I'm playing a wee bit of rugby here too.

Where did everyone get into rugby? What age etc? Japan was the first place I properly played (toyed with it in school, but took up music so had to quit).

Honestly, will probably get back into music professionally when I return to Ireland in July, so will probably have to give up playing. :( (or just feck potential injuries and join a club.)

Actually....I'll be returning to live in Cork, specifically Charleville, so any recommendations for clubs in the area.....?

Did I share too much? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

I'm male, in my thirties, work in the financial services sector, and love long walks in the rain. Wait, no. Walking in the rain sucks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 541 ✭✭✭accidentprone1

ConFurioso wrote: »
    Suppose we could start off by introducing ourselves......or is that a wee bit AA?

Anyways, it doesn't have to be completely rugby free. It's more about getting to know the posters.

I was under the poster name Funky Penguin for about 10 years, but that profile is gone. I currently live in Japan, and I'm playing a wee bit of rugby here too.

Where did everyone get into rugby? What age etc? Japan was the first place I properly played (toyed with it in school, but took up music so had to quit).

Honestly, will probably get back into music professionally when I return to Ireland in July, so will probably have to give up playing. :( (or just feck potential injuries and join a club.)

Actually....I'll be returning to live in Cork, specifically Charleville, so any recommendations for clubs in the area.....?

Did I share too much? :pac:

Music professionally? Was torn between music and maths after the old LC - maths won, but I'm never really sure if I made the right decision. What do you play/sing?

Edit: Am assuming this is currently the off-topic thread and it's ok to use it as such.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

I'm in favour of it, will run it past the other guys, but it won't be stickied. There's a general boards.ie rule about the amount of stickies we can have in a forum...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭ConFurioso

Music professionally? Was torn between music and maths after the old LC - maths won, but I'm never really sure if I made the right decision. What do you play/sing?

Yeah, like teach privately and perform where possible. The later may take some time to get back into though...I haven't practiced in the two years I've been out here. :/

Play the piano and drums! But also compose. Sometimes I wonder if I made the right decision going for a music degree. Being employable these days is hard enough as it is! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

well we might as well just use this thread

Added a few rules to the OP. Please take a gander, and then go nuts.

Anyone finishing exams? Real world beings for trout next week. Hopefully I can manage to stay unemployed long enough to enjoy a certain television sporting event over the summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Anyone finishing exams? Real world beings for trout next week. Hopefully I can manage to stay unemployed long enough to enjoy a certain television sporting event over the summer

wimbeldon?

wimbeldon?

Yes that's the one. Actually oddly enough I came across a stat yesterday. Andy Murray has only ever pulled out of two matches, and they've both been on May 15th, his birthday

The more you know.......

• Advertisement

Speaking of which, has anybody ever gone to see the final for Wimbeldon in Cineworld in 3D? Every year I make plans to go but end up missing it...

Never bothered with it to be honest, the 3D gimmick annoys me sometimes

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

.ak wrote: »
    Speaking of which, has anybody ever gone to see the final for Wimbeldon in Cineworld in 3D? Every year I make plans to go but end up missing it...

Wimbledon? What a snorefest. :p

P_1 wrote: »
    Never bothered with it to be honest, the 3D gimmick annoys me sometimes

Yeah I usually hate 3d movies... but have never seen a sport in 3d so just wondering what it's like.

New Star Trek in 3D Imax is pretty amazing tho!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Cormic

awec wrote: »
    Wimbledon? What a snorefest. :p

I don't watch any other tennis tournaments but Wimbledon is great fun.

Want a snorefest? Watch Golf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Yeah I usually hate 3d movies... but have never seen a sport in 3d so just wondering what it's like.

New Star Trek in 3D Imax is pretty amazing tho!

****e is the answer

Cormic wrote: »
    I don't watch any other tennis tournaments but Wimbledon is great fun.

Want a snorefest? Watch Golf.

I enjoy a spot of the oul golf now it has to be said.

Wimbledon in 3d in Cineworld is class, well worth it. The screen cheers and woops as if its in a stadium so there is a bit of atmosphere. Plenty of food and banter, Cineworld are so lax on bringing stuff in that it works well.

I've also watched "egg chasing" in 3d in MJ O'Neils in town. I hate 3d in movies, but 3d in live sports ball is very good.

Just walked out of my last exam (here's hoping anyway). I guess that makes me a lawyer or something... :eek:

Tennis and golf fall into the 'great craic to play, snoozefest to watch' category for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Love watching and playing Golf, going to properly take it up this summer and try improve. I've also been told its the only sport that looks good on 3d tv, but I suppose its a matter if opinion.

Yeah like to play golf, but I'd find myself dozing off watching it! It's painful enough waiting for your playing mate to take their shot, never mind a whole load of people taking their shots and you don't get a go! :P

I used to play golf all the time, then I stopped. Would need to buy myself a set of clubs now and no doubt I'd be absolutely brutal. 28 handicap please! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Done tomorrow, had to miss out on a HEC Final ticket to see my beloved RCT because of an exam. :(

Done tomorrow, had to miss out on a HEC Final ticket to see my beloved RCT because of an exam. :(

ah sickened, not finished until Monday myself. Planning a major booze up for tomorrow nonetheless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Once I saw a blimp

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement