Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The all new and only slightly recycled off topic thread (read post 1)

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

mfceiling wrote: »
    Big time for this...the missus says I need an outlet.

Knocking divots out on to the M50 is probably what she means!!

:pac:

She wants you out of the house, you must be a nuisance!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭OldRio

I'm old enough to remember Leonard Cohen singing this.
    Some voice on Father Kelly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

I will always know that as a Jeff Buckley song

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Think his version is certainly closer to the JB version. Not an easy song to sing either. Great effort.

I think I know my Thursday night reminiscing album now...!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Grimebox wrote: »
    I will always know that as a Jeff Buckley song

Don't you mean Leona Lewis?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I realise it's all very personal but I always thought the John Cale version was the best

I just think it works best as a solo piano song.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

No it was written for x-factor

So I've been working here for 10 months now. I came over on a 6 month contract that got extended another 6 months. My boss told me in Jan she wanted to give me a permanent job at the end of this contract (end of May). She wanted to get it sorted a couple months ago but HR asked her to wait a while. I'm off back to Ireland for two weeks tomorrow so told them I wanted the contract offered before then - she has been pushing them for a few weeks. I went in for what I thought was the salary negotiation today and she tells me that her bosses in Finland (Finnish company) are refusing to even say whether they'll even give me a contract offer. They're still "thinking about it". My contract runs out in 6 weeks, a permanent member of my team left 6 months ago and I've been de facto doing their job (on the massive cheap) since, my boss desperately wants to keep me, she told me 3 months ago I'd get a permanent contract because it was implied to her it would be fine and now they're ****ing me around.

So now I have to go job hunting on my god damn holidays. I have to worry about leaving the bloody country cause my work permit expires at the end of May too. What an unbelievable pile of ****.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

It really is best if you do some job hunting so. No matter how much your boss wants to keep you it doesn't sound like it's her decision to make.

If you're contract runs out in 6 weeks and you still haven't gotten word officially of a renewal that's a big red flag!

I hate job hunting :( especially on my holidays, but yes its necessary.

My boss is almost as pissed off as me. If I go they'll likely end up replacing me with someone experienced who costs more anyway. The worst thing is I think they'll eventually ok the contract but maybe not for a couple weeks and they truly won't understand how ****ty that is and problematic for me. It's a combination of the Finnish mentality and my big boss being the world's biggest moron. Part of the problem is that he's based in Helsinki and has no earthly idea of what actually happens in Geneva.

AAAAARRRRGGGHHHHH

• Advertisement

Something similar happened with me when I was working contract. My direct boss offered me an extension but no contract was offered and then a month or so before the end of the original contract a directive from the MD came around to reduce the amount of contractors on site i.e. me.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Something similar happened with me when I was working contract. My direct boss offered me an extension but no contract was offered and then a month or so before the end of the original contract a directive from the MD came around to reduce the amount of contractors on site i.e. me.

And you got a better job and became a millionaire right?

LET ME LIVE THE DREAM CFH!!

Not only did I become a millionaire but I got to slam dunk the winning score in the world series of Superbowls!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Same thing happened to me when I came over to England originally! Original contract was 3 months, stayed for a year! They did eventually offer me the chance to stay on permanently but the messing about was too much. The HR dude was majorly evil, I know that when they originally agreed to extend my contract he promised a certain salary and then reduced in the very last second when he realised I would stay for less.

I did get a better job though and I am one of those annoying lucky dickheads who likes his job now (at the moment).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone

I think I've "played" pitch & putt about 6 times in my life, I used to drive the ball 90 yards, but only 5 feet off the ground...I'm bloody lethal! For love nor money I couldn't loft a ball properly.....I was like some gimp trying to play road bowls with a hurley :)

Same thing happened to me when I came over to England originally! Original contract was 3 months, stayed for a year! They did eventually offer me the chance to stay on permanently but the messing about was too much. The HR dude was majorly evil, I know that when they originally agreed to extend my contract he promised a certain salary and then reduced in the very last second when he realised I would stay for less.

I did get a better job though and I am one of those annoying lucky dickheads who likes his job now (at the moment).

I really hope I don't end up loving PRL because of my experiences :(

:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭Taco Corp

I've played pitch and putt only once, the morning of the Heineken cup final 2011 somewhere in Cardiff. in bits with a hangover. I go up to the first tee. Swing and a miss. there were a least 3 balls and I missed all of them

Played football for the first time since November tonight after my surgery.

My knee is very sore, pretty sure I'm going to have some real knee problems in the next few years. It was sore for a while (soreish for a few years now), sharp pain behind the knee cap. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

awec wrote: »

My knee is very sore, pretty sure I'm going to have some real knee problems in the next few years. It was sore for a while (soreish for a few years now), sharp pain behind the knee cap. :(

Nurofen plus needed there awec...the chemist can be iffy giving them out (contain codeine and are addictive)...sorted me on the toothache a few times.

mfceiling wrote: »
    Nurofen plus needed there awec...the chemist can be iffy giving them out (contain codeine and are addictive)...sorted me on the toothache a few times.

I have a box full of actual codeine tablets I got from the hospital under the sink.

Some stuff!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭OldRio

Enjoying my present employment. Semi retirement. I might even go the whole hog in a year or two.
    Forced to go into a pension scheme in the mid 1970's. Did every thing in my power to get out of it but to no avail. Nearly 30 years I paid into that. Circumstances changed and I'm now reaping the long term rewards for that hit on the salary all that time ago.

OldRio wrote: »
    Enjoying my present employment. Semi retirement. I might even go the whole hog in a year or two.
    Forced to go into a pension scheme in the mid 1970's. Did every thing in my power to get out of it but to no avail. Nearly 30 years I paid into that. Circumstances changed and I'm now reaping the long term rewards for that hit on the salary all that time ago.

Nice one Rio....feck it..throw the feet up. Nobody lay on their deathbed wishing they'd worked harder!!

1531535_830508986962949_3124522156114268114_n.jpg

Nick Cummins is lethal.

"off like a brides nightie" :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Found a comic that pretty accurately describes how my dissertation is going right now

20130109.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

Knee issues are a pain in the ass. Went to Whistler in Canada for some snowboarding a few weeks ago, and tweaked something in my knee before even hitting the mountain. I wasn't going to stay there and not snowboard, so I ended up taking painkillers everyday and snowboarding despite there being something not right.

My knee felt grand whenever I was coming home, but I played football last weekend and I after about 30 mins of running got quite a bad pain behind my kneecap. Tried running a few laps today and didn't even make a lap before the pain set in again. Hope I haven't done some serious damage!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,3825_9257150,00.html

So McIlroy has no connection to Ulster rugby?

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,3825_9257150,00.html

So McIlroy has no connection to Ulster rugby?

They discussed this on Off The Ball as the clearest admission to date that McIlroy is funding Ulster.

Am I alone in thinking it's an offhand, lighthearted comment without any indication that he is providing funds? Especially after Ulster have come out publicly in the past and stated McIlroy has no involvement?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Buer wrote: »
    They discussed this on Off The Ball as the clearest admission to date that McIlroy is funding Ulster.

Am I alone in thinking it's an offhand, lighthearted comment without any indication that he is providing funds?

It's hard to tell without hearing how he said. Written down on paper it seems very much admission, but it could've totally tongue-in-cheek or could even be sarcasm depending on the question by the journalist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Buer wrote: »
    Am I alone in thinking it's an offhand, lighthearted comment without any indication that he is providing funds? Especially after Ulster have come out publicly in the past and stated McIlroy has no involvement?

I'd agree, there is nothing to indicate from that, that he in anyway bank roling players. Tongue in cheek comment

• Advertisement

.ak wrote: »
    It's hard to tell without hearing how he said. Written down on paper it seems very much admission, but it could've totally tongue-in-cheek or could even be sarcasm depending on the question by the journalist.

I thought it'd have to be tongue in cheek as he wouldn't need any more victories to bankroll anything. He could pay the salaries of the entire squad for the rest of their careers after the Nike deal.

:D

You guys...

Just saw the film Calvery. It's very good, dark though and not always pleasant, but still very good.

It's probably a very Irish film too in its storyline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭Taco Corp

on the topic of movies, The Raid 2 is out. if you haven't seen the the first one then you really have missed out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

I'd say he's contributed a bit financially, but I think that comment was tongue in cheek.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

I'm in Edinburgh at the moment and I have to say the attitude towards club rugby here is extremely negative. One guy who claimed to be a diehard rugby supporter described the club game as a "tourist sport" and laughed off the idea of a club based in Aberdeen. It's very apparent that rugby is a dying entity here. Even passing murrayfield you get the eerie sense that its almost a monument to a once great tradition that is becoming utterly archaic. Either way I'm heading to the Edinburgh Cardiff game this weekend so I hope to get a more balanced view from there.

• Advertisement

Eh, Edinburgh played Cardiff tonight!

A mate of mine worked in Aberdeen and he didn't have great things to say about how rugby was perceived up there.

Aberdeen is more of a football city, no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Aberdeen is more of a football city, no?
    totally but there is a benefactor up there willing to invest. Rugby area is borders area down south but not enough places to host a team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Eh, Edinburgh played Cardiff tonight!

Ah christ. I thought it was on tomorrow night! Thought I could just show up and get in at the gate. That fecks up my plans for tomorrow then...

chupacabra wrote: »
    Ah christ. I thought it was on tomorrow night! Thought I could just show up and get in at the gate. That fecks up my plans for tomorrow then...

• Advertisement

Watched the 2nd episode of The Trip to Italy with Coogan and Brydon last night.

For me it's the greatest show on TV right now. The scenery, the food and the way they bounce off each other is fantastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

New cologne today. Went for a classic with Dior's Eau Sauvage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone

Liverpool v City today, as a United fan, I won't know who to boo louder! :)

Liverpool v City today, as a United fan, I won't know who to boo louder! :)

I put 15 quid on Liverpool to win by 2 goals.

I put 15 quid on Liverpool to win by 2 goals.

I don't know who's the bigger big shot...you or J P McManus!!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

What tv channels will be showing the liverpool game?

1 for the Pool!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Swiwi. wrote: »
    1 for the Pool!

Im the most casual of casual Liverpool fans and I'm still bricking it

2-0 buddy! Liverpool on fire.

I look forward to work this week as I've suddenly remembered I'm a Liverpool fan.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement