Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The all new and only slightly recycled off topic thread (read post 1)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

dregin wrote: »
    Tight enough schedule to be keeping that night, unfortunately.

Why can't everyone just acknowledge that FXBs have been doing great meet and beer for decades, ignore the current fads and just go there all the time???

I'm clearly getting too old to be hip :'(

You mean the Bull and Castle? Yeah that place is great too, really good selection of brews. But the food in bison is phenomenal.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

FXBs have many, many restaurants across the city. My favourite is Parkgate Street.

dregin wrote: »
    FXBs have many, many restaurants across the city. My favourite is Parkgate Street.

I'm not sure what the deal is with them though, they're all very different, are they just not owned by FXBs but ran by different people? I've been to some FXB restaurants that just aren't great.

The one on Parkgate st is nice, not amazing but fairly decent. I work right beside it so sometimes we head there for lunch on special occasions.

Yeah, it's definitely not the most amazing thing ever, but it's very consistent. The only time I had a bad experience with FXBs was in the bull and castle. Medium-rare fillet steak came out dry and grey. Nearly cried!

If you're over that way for work, you should give the royal oak on kilmainham lane a shot some time. Great bar and only turns the TV on for the rugby or the odd spot of GAA. Love it!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Speaking of steakhouses, I went to McGoverns in Malahide last weekend with the outlaws and was impressed. Had never really considered going there previously. It's not an overly fussy place; comfortable seating, decent music and beer on tap. Three of us had steak, all different and all cooked perfectly. Desserts were excellent too.

Oh here, O'Shea's Beer from Aldi. Brewed by O'Haras, but only €1.65 a bottle.

Have had the Red and Stout so far. The Red was a bit heavier than most others I've had, but they were both great drinks. Ridiculously good value!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Just back from Los tapas de Lola on Wexford St....thanks to A.k for the tip a while back. Seriously tasty tapas...kitchen staff are all Spanish, and the choices of dishes was unreal...well impressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

There's nothing but eggs so I'm having scrambled eggs with a side of scrambled eggs for dinner :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

Started cutting today :( hunger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

There's a joke to be made there. But it's too dark Hagz. It's too dark.

• Advertisement

mfceiling wrote: »
    Just back from Los tapas de Lola on Wexford St....thanks to A.k for the tip a while back. Seriously tasty tapas...kitchen staff are all Spanish, and the choices of dishes was unreal...well impressed.

Thanks for reminding me to make a return visit!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Would really love to see these guys come to Dublin at some stage. Either that or I've got to get myself over to Alabama. Class version of Let Me Roll It.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

And in a surprising and unexpected twist Sean Fitzpatrick is found not guilty.

I don't know whether it's a hangover from England being colonial masters and therefore constructing laws to suit the ruling classes, but this country really doesn't seem to have a mechanism for dealing with white collar crime.

I mean people get sent to jail for not paying parking fines...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I may be the only person in the country who hasn't really been following the case but did he actually commit any crimes? or was it just a case of extremely bad management?

CatFromHue wrote: »
    I may be the only person in the country who hasn't really been following the case but did he actually commit any crimes? or was it just a case of extremely bad management?

I'm the same. I largely ignore things unless they directly effect me.

CatFromHue wrote: »

I haven't followed it that closely, but crime in the white collar sense is so narrowly defined here, that it seems extremely difficult to get any sort of prosecution unless the guy is literally photographed with his hand in the till. At least that's my impression.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Swiwi. wrote: »
    I haven't followed it that closely, but crime in the white collar sense is so narrowly defined here, that it seems extremely difficult to get any sort of prosecution unless the guy is literally photographed with his hand in the till. At least that's my impression.

Ah but in that case it could easilly be argued that he was investigating the till in order to expertly improve it's functionality.

Ah but in that case it could easilly be argued that he was investigating the till in order to expertly improve it's functionality.

Or even that the money taken from the till should actually be counted in the "asset" column as a loan with the potential to make interest.

Ye might have all seen this, but it made me laugh!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Anyone here ever have any problems with booking a Plus of Flexi fare with Aer Lingus (which include bags) and then having to pay for the bag at the airport? Seemingly I have to, after booking, go back to manage my booking and add bags (including having to put in my CC details again despite it not charging anything) as its showing no bags added to my journey. I've just done it for the way back but I had to pay 50 bloody quid at geneva airport to get the bag I'd already paid for on the damn plane.

If the normal routine is that you have to subsequently add the bags it told you were included then that's a ****in stupid system.

Well, we're just past the 1-year anniversary of the off-topic thread. Like all new ideas, there were a few doubters, but I have to say I think fishook's trouttrout's a celestial experience's idea has been a success!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭Taco Corp

Working on a fit out for a large American multi national, and today as a thank you, for the 93,000 man hours worked without incident they gave us all....

An Easter egg!! To be fair it was funny watching subbies trying to take extra ones for themselves and being told to "feck off and stop being so miserable".

I got a twirl one.....first egg I've got in about 30 years!!

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Twirl are the ones that nobody buys. Who actually says "I want a twirl easter egg" ?

Nobody - that's who. Nobody wants Twirl. It's one of those chocolates that are just there - you've no idea how they are still being sold cause you've never seen anyone buy one.

folks, what's the going rate for a wedding present these days?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

awec wrote: »
    Harp is the beer that nobody buys. Who actually says "I want a pint of harp" ?

Nobody - that's who. Nobody wants Harp. It's one of those beers that are just there - you've no idea how they are still being sold cause you've never seen anyone buy one.

Hard to disagree there awec

….I love Twirls. They are flakes without all the messy business.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone go in to a shop and buy a twirl. The old Galaxy / Dairy Milk / Yorkie / Mars / Snickers are the staple.

Twirl is up there with Snack in the "why does this exist" category.

As for Moro - I had my first one of them like last year. Chewy nonsense.

I actually had a double decker the other day and it was lovely. A picnic bar is also an overlooked treasure in the confectionary world.

Double decker and picnic - very overlooked.

Though I think we are all in agreement that the runt of the confectionary world is of course the Bounty. How many people have been handed a celebrations box that only has these wee b@stards left in it?

• Advertisement

I gave 100 euro last weekend. It was almost all the money I had in the world. I wanted to try and pay for myself at least. I was never going to get an actual gift other than money.

I'll tell you what the biggest joker is in the chocolate bar world. The Time Out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

More than cover your dinner: €50 - 75ish. A present on top if they're a good friend.

That's my mots advice. I'm clueless myself.

Hagz wrote: »
    I'll tell you what the biggest joker is in the chocolate bar world. The Time Out.

Those things just melt in your hand. Impossible to eat without making a mess.

Double decker and picnic - very overlooked.

Though I think we are all in agreement that the runt of the confectionary world is of course the Bounty. How many people have been handed a celebrations box that only has these wee b@stards left in it?

Saw a Fry's chocolate cream the other day as well as the "mint" version.

Moros are a delicious treat and only harp drinkers would hate them.

mfceiling wrote: »
    Saw a Fry's chocolate cream the other day as well as the "mint" version.
    I like those mint things! Haven't had one in ages.

Also, southern dairy milk is nicer than northern dairy milk.

Teferi wrote: »
    Moros are a delicious treat and only harp drinkers would hate them.

They don't exist up north (as far as I know).

Too chewy for me.

Bountys are delicious too. What sort of pagan are you Awec???

Kinder Eggs do the best easter eggs. You even get a giant toy

• Advertisement

Teferi wrote: »
    Bountys are delicious too. What sort of pagan are you Awec???

But they're full of coconut?! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

I asked the wedding gift question a few months ago....

Mid 20's on not much more than a graduate salary so 100 felt like alot but i'm glad I gave it, 50 would of been too little, your messing with anything in between. I knew the couple well enough though so that has to be taken into consideration too

I don't think I've ever seen anyone go in to a shop and buy a twirl. The old Galaxy / Dairy Milk / Yorkie / Mars / Snickers are the staple.

Twirl is up there with Snack in the "why does this exist" category.

As for Moro - I had my first one of them like last year. Chewy nonsense.

Twirls are lovely. what are you on about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Twirl are the ones that nobody buys. Who actually says "I want a twirl easter egg" ?

Nobody - that's who. Nobody wants Twirl. It's one of those chocolates that are just there - you've no idea how they are still being sold cause you've never seen anyone buy one.

Twirls are nice- not as nice as Flakes but still pretty nice.

Timeouts are also great, but the melting thing is a problem. But easter eggs in general are poor, much prefer get a massive slab of chocolate than an egg.

Also, when did jamiedav close his account?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Good while ago now. Must have been around the start of March anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Oh well :/

I'm reading Neuromancer now, it's pretty good. Very fast-paced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Oh well :/

I'm reading Neuromancer now, it's pretty good. Very fast-paced.

Yeah,it's a great book but you really have to concentrate on every word.If your eyes drift and you skip a single paragraph,you won't have a clue what's going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

First he tells us he likes Harp, now he tells us he doesn't like Bounty bars. What the hell is next awec, you never rated Scarlett Johansson!?

Also Picnic bars are class and if you're ever hungry and only have time to grab a choc bar Double Deckers are your only man. Sort you right out! And if you're talking Dairy Milk I have only one word for you: Tiffin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Fireball07 wrote: »

Also, when did jamiedav close his account?

I always think, if you're going to close your account, the least you should do is inform everyone that "yizzer all a bunch of cnuts" or something.

But people silently drift off into the sunset without settling a single score.
    When I go down, I'm going down in flames I tell you.

• Advertisement

molloyjh wrote: »
    First he tells us he likes Harp, now he tells us he doesn't like Bounty bars. What the hell is next awec, you never rated Scarlett Johansson!?

Also Picnic bars are class and if you're ever hungry and only have time to grab a choc bar Double Deckers are your only man. Sort you right out! And if you're talking Dairy Milk I have only one word for you: Tiffin.

There isn't much wrong with Scarlett!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement