Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The all new and only slightly recycled off topic thread (read post 1)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

dregin wrote: »
    Anyone else have phone as part of their UPC bundle but never actually bothered getting a phone to use with it?

WELL, this appeared a while back and I now have a land line number ringing straight to my tablet \o/

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.upc.horizon.phone

I know it's called Horizon phone, but we don't have horizon and can still use it without issue.

What is the whole UPC experience like?

I'm moving house soon and the management company have stated there is no satellite dishes allowed....therefore it's horizon and no more sky.

Now i have to say, i love my sky tv as much as my kids and haven't heard much in the way of positives for Horizon.

Tempted to stick 2 fingers up to the management company and get sky in anyway!!

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

UPC internet is far better than Sky internet.

Sky TV is far better than UPC TV.

The UPC tv box (the last time I had it) was hopeless.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Anybody watching the snooker?

Doherty rolling back the years it seems!

GO ON KEN!!!

There's a sport that has died a spectacular death.

If you look at those in the second round and then look back a decade ago, nearly all of them were playing in the 2004 tournament. The number of new decent competitors is awful.

Shame, it was once one of the big sporting events of the year.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Actually, speaking of UPC internet, has anyone successfully connected to UPC Wi-Free yet?

I set a password and our router immediately started broadcasting a second network, but it won't let me connect with the details I set.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

awec wrote: »

I have UPC internet and it's grand....drops signal in the evening quite regularly but that's a minor inconvenience. I hate the thought of the Horizon set top box as i've heard so many bad reports about it.

The Sky box is so easy to use that even the 4 year old can pause her shows and come back to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

It still is hopeless.
    Agree with you on the internet. In my place for college we've UPC and internet is good much better than Sky while at home we've sky and internet is meh while tv much better
    dregin wrote: »
    Actually, speaking of UPC internet, has anyone successfully connected to UPC Wi-Free yet?

I set a password and our router immediately started broadcasting a second network, but it won't let me connect with the details I set.
    Never had any issues. Havent a clue how to help you..

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Yeah, it randomly just started working soon after I posted that.

Every time I come home I forget how cheap it is.

Went to the local rugby club tonight for a few pints.

"Pint of tennents and a pint of Guinness please"

"5.40 mate"

A fiver for TWO drinks!

TWO Jamesons = 5.60. You'd pay that for one in Dublin :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

"5.40 mate"

A fiver for TWO drinks!

is that sterling??? and tennents should be free :P

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

"5.40 mate"

A fiver for TWO drinks!

Was playing a game down in Cobh and got a Bulmers after the game in the bar. Handed in a fiver and a euro coin "you're not in Dublin now wha?" and the barflys at the bar erupted in laughter. I told them to F Off ye Culchie Bastards....in my mind....when I got home......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

I suppose this is too silly to post anywhere else...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

That is brilliant and quite catchy too.

Leonard Cohen would be proud of those lyrics!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

So Liverpool v Chelsea curtain raiser, anyone?

On another note, just back from the North - visited the Titanic Museum, and spent the night in Bulfaast. I must admit, I like visiting the North, always a friendly welcome, and has a different feel to the Republic. The museum is good by the way, I can recommend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Yeah heading to the pub to strain my neck a bit with some dual-sport action! Yeah sunday bliss.

Nerves are hanging out of me!

Liverpool not being clinical at all but are the better team. Gerard gonna have to play out of his skin to make up for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭Taco Corp

Nerves are hanging out of me!

you might want to get that checked. sounds painful

Say what you will about the Living Room, this is class.

Ah Torres....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

City well back in the title race! Anyone's game now. I don't like Liverpool but I hated to see Gerrard slip up like that. I wish it could have been anyone other than him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone

I'm impartial, I don't care who beats Liverpool to the title! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

The Munster result put a really dampener on the football results :(

Sunderland looking likely to stay up, Liverpool losing keeps Chelsea and Man Utd interested, which means they're likely to beat Villa, Norwich & Cardiff.

And I dislike Gerrard immensely, talented player, but have no time for some of the stuff he goes in for- diving, cheating, filthy tackles. There mightn't be many nice footballers around, but I have no sympathy for the likes of him.

Terrible day for football. I think it's the manner in which Liverpool lost that's most annoying.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Does that mean City just have to win their last few matches or how are they fixed for goal difference?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

Does that mean City just have to win their last few matches or how are they fixed for goal difference?

Yeah they're +8 I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

Seamus Coleman on the PFA Team of the Year.

He's the fourth different Irish Right-Back to make the team in the last 15 years.

Who can name the other three? Mild Trivia to start the week!

Seamus Coleman on the PFA Team of the Year.

He's the fourth different Irish Right-Back to make the team in the last 15 years.

Who can name the other three? Mild Trivia to start the week!

Irwin, Finnan and Carr?

Buer wrote: »
    Irwin, Finnan and Carr?

Very Close.

Finnan and Carr are correct.

Irwin made it as an LB (G Nev the RB that year)

EDIT: Irwin was 16 years ago anyway!

Gary Kelly in the 2002 season then? I think that's the year Leeds went to the CL semi final.

Gary Kelly in the 2002 season then? I think that's the year Leeds went to the CL semi final.

Kelly is correct... not 2002 though, but then again that wasn't the question!

• Advertisement

I'll take it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

We've had some fairly good right-backs all right. Pity that talent hasn't extended all over the field in recent years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Irwin, Finnan and Carr?

If you did that without google/wikipedia I'm impressed.

Never sure these days if a bit of a sly use of google has been required...

Anyone here ever been to Vegas?

How long do you think is enough time to spend there as part of a holiday with the girlfriend? 3 nights?

How long do you think is enough time to spend there as part of a holiday with the girlfriend? 3 nights?
    Not been but from friends who have. They all did 5-6 nights but were not in many other cities/places on the holiday.
    3 probably enough

Not been but from friends who have. They all did 5-6 nights but were not in many other cities/places on the holiday.
    3 probably enough

Yea, we are looking at something like New York + Vegas. I think I'd prefer to spend longer in New York than Vegas.

Trying to work it out and find a reliable travel agent. See good deals on American Holidays but the reviews seem pretty scary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

Amsterdam was great. Much nice looking City than I thought it would be. Really gorgeous.

Coffeeshops were better than expected. Stayed away from most of the horribly touristy ones and found some lovely spots

Yea, we are looking at something like New York + Vegas. I think I'd prefer to spend longer in New York than Vegas.

Trying to work it out and find a reliable travel agent. See good deals on American Holidays but the reviews seem pretty scary.
    I would be the same NYC has so much more to offer. Been to NYC once but was years ago and staying with friends in NJ about 2 hours drive from the city.
    Avoid American. Cant give much advice on travel agents etc as we booked flights independent and were staying with friends

Myself and the girlfriend are doing 5 nights in San Francisco, then 4 nights in Vegas, then 10 in New York for here 30th. I suggested 4 in Vegas because frankly I've been before, and I just can't imagine it being a very couples kinda place... Unless your chick likes skin bars.

Heck even if she doesn't you'll probably still go to them!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I'm not a huge fan of NY personally but there's way more to see and do there than Vegas. 4-5 days in Vegas would be about right. Keep in mind if you're headed to the Grand Canyon that's a full day gone.

I'd also avoid travel agents like the plague. It's cheaper and easier to book things yourself generally. Delta used to be the best overall airline in terms of price and quality. Not sure if that's still the case tbh. But internally Jet Blue is the way to go. In NY the Affinia hotels are a decent bet, just avoid Affinia Manhattan as it's a total dump. Affinia 50 was the better one from recollection. As for Vegas the hotels are pretty cheap and I'm not sure you can go wrong there from what little I've seen as long as you stick close to the strip.

• Advertisement

.ak wrote: »
    Myself and the girlfriend are doing 5 nights in San Francisco, then 4 nights in Vegas, then 10 in New York for here 30th. I suggested 4 in Vegas because frankly I've been before, and I just can't imagine it being a very couples kinda place... Unless your chick likes skin bars.

When we were there a few years ago there was this really nice Thai restaurant that was fairly busy. So we were given seats in the bar area and had a few drinks while we waited. It was all girls waiting the tables in the bar and they were all amazing looking. It wasn't anything cheap or tacky, they were just all genuinely gorgeous. The oh just laughed as I took it all in. I was really looking forward to dinner obviously then too. The wait staff there were all men. Similarly gorgeous apparently, but you can imagine my disappointment.

Lucky you!! When I actually start earning some decent €€€ im def heading to US for decent holiday or two. A mates getting married over near NYC in the summer but will not have the cash to go over :(
    molloyjh wrote: »
    I'm not a huge fan of NY personally but there's way more to see and do there than Vegas. 4-5 days in Vegas would be about right. Keep in mind if you're headed to the Grand Canyon that's a full day gone.

I'd also avoid travel agents like the plague. It's cheaper and easier to book things yourself generally. Delta used to be the best overall airline in terms of price and quality. Not sure if that's still the case tbh. But internally Jet Blue is the way to go. In NY the Affinia hotels are a decent bet, just avoid Affinia Manhattan as it's a total dump. Affinia 50 was the better one from recollection. As for Vegas the hotels are pretty cheap and I'm not sure you can go wrong there from what little I've seen as long as you stick close to the strip.
    Totally agree on 2nd paragraph. So much easier to pick and choose yourself when booking things.

NYC is my favourite place evers. I absolutely fell in love with the place about 10 years ago and have been going back ever since. One day I'm just not going to come back.

Totally agree on 2nd paragraph. So much easier to pick and choose yourself when booking things.

Skyscanner is the dogs sensitive bits.

NYC is my favourite place evers. I absolutely fell in love with the place about 10 years ago and have been going back ever since. One day I'm just not going to come back.

Meh, I found the people a complete pain in the hole. Great spot in so many ways but the people ruined it for me. They'd throw you under a bus if it got them to their destination a minute earlier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

None, it's pretty ghastly :D

Unless you're a Hunter S Thompson fan, then it might be fun to chase up some of the places mentioned in Fear and Loathing...

Hm. Are you booking it all seperately .ak?

I'm not totally set on Vegas, it's just that NY + Vegas seems to be a popular combination.

I guess just NY is an option too, if there is enough to do in NY for a week (probably a stupid question this) ?

I'm not totally set on Vegas, it's just that NY + Vegas seems to be a popular combination.

I guess just NY is an option too, if there is enough to do in NY for a week (probably a stupid question this) ?

Depends what you're after I suppose but I'd say so. It's a really easy city to get around and there's the obvious touristy things along with cool bars and cafés to hang out in. I'm not much of a shopper (as in I can't abide shopping) but you'll find yourself doing a good bit while your there too.

That said while you don't want to spend any more than a couple of days in Vegas it really is a must see. Spared no expense and all that. It's a crazy city but you won't regret going.

molloyjh wrote: »
    Depends what you're after I suppose but I'd say so. It's a really easy city to get around and there's the obvious touristy things along with cool bars and cafés to hang out in. I'm not much of a shopper (as in I can't abide shopping) but you'll find yourself doing a good bit while your there too.

That said while you don't want to spend any more than a couple of days in Vegas it really is a must see. Spared no expense and all that. It's a crazy city but you won't regret going.

NYC -> Vegas would take a full day out of the holiday too I guess?

• Advertisement

Yep, the missus is a bit of a travel guru so she books everything, she does it all separate, after hunting for the best prices or locations etc.

I love the the fact that New Yorkers are assholes by the way. Makes a refreshing change from the fake smiley facade you get from a lot of other states.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement