Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The all new and only slightly recycled off topic thread (read post 1)

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Hope Chelsea get stuffed in the second half to be honest. The football they play is abysmal, and the whole Mourinho media love in thing is getting boring now. He stopped being interesting a long time ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Swiwi. wrote: »
    The biggest bullshìt in football is players scoring goals against their former clubs, and pretending they're sorry about it. Torres puts one in for Chelsea and raises his hands to half-apologise to Atletico fans.

I disagree, no harm in showing respect. And as for the current team, who cares what he does as long as he scores?

Frazier Campbell did it earlier this season, but he genuinely liked Sunderland, used to go to a lot of away games in with the fans... I thought it was nice of him tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

It is a nice gesture but, the majority of the time, I think it's contrived rubbish from a guy doing a PR stunt and couldn't care less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭Taco Corp

it's really pleasing to see John Terry pissed off

A victory for football this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

awec wrote: »
    Older women is the way forward. My girlfriend was 30 in February and I still have 5 years to go. :cool:

I'm going to let you into a secret about older women awec, and this is from a man who hits 40 this year, as does his better half.

Guess what women start to get really good, and i mean really good at as they get older?

Nagging...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

mfceiling wrote: »
    I'm going to let you into a secret about older women awec, and this is from a man who hits 40 this year, as does his better half.

Guess what women start to get really good, and i mean really good at as they get older?

Nagging...

And I thought you were going to say shagging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Well done Atletico :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Jose got Gerry arrested so as to take the press coverage off him.

Predictive spellcheck!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭OldRio

The rather wonderful English actor Bob Hoskins passed away today aged 71.

If you like English gangster films. Lock Stock etc, Watch the 1981 film 'The Long Good Friday.'
    Easy to find via Google.

A really great film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭Taco Corp

thought or hoped? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Anyone been watching Derek? I thought I wouldn't like it but watched all the first season there last week and it's actually fantastic. Great bit of telly.

.ak wrote: »
    Anyone been watching Derek? I thought I wouldn't like it but watched all the first season there last week and it's actually fantastic. Great bit of telly.

Did you shed any tears at the final episode,
    when he met his dad?

I definitely didn't....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

I normally don't like Ricky Gervais' brand of comedy but Derek is absolutely fantastic. Really quite sweet while being hilarious at the same time.

Did you shed any tears at the final episode,
    when he met his dad?

I definitely didn't....

Nope. None at all. :/

I love the Office, probably one of my favourite TV series. But I thought I'd hate Derek - I just thought playing somebody with autism is going too far, but it actually works really well, and pretty much after 5 minutes you forget he's Ricky and completely buy into the Derek character. In a way it's very high risk but they pull it off really well, it's possibly more of a black comedy than anything, with the majority of the TV series being very sad, dealing with old age, society and death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

.ak I was in Leicester Square yesterday and was going to pop into Lobster and Burger to give you a quick review but unfortunately I couldn't find it in time (I went to see Book of Mormon). I ended up going to Byron though because you had starved me into burgerdom and I needed quench the hunger. Byron, as far as a chain of restaurants can go, is good.

The American Office was better than the UK one

• Advertisement

The American Office was better than the UK one

Blasphemy.

However I like both, I just don't like to compare them. The UK office is a master piece of subtlety and awkwardness. The little tiny minute pieces of dialogue are what make it, the level of detail in what Brent's character says is unbelievable, you only really appreciate it on 2nd viewing. The mannerisms he captures are fantastic, and they're not fluke, he's portraying a guy who can't help what he says and simply doesn't think before he speaks, so what comes out of his mouth is socially awkward. It's so subtle but brilliant imo.

But I love the American one just for the side characters. They're fantastic. Steve Carrell is just .. well, Steve Carrell, but the others are great in it.

Very hard to compare them. American version became something more than the UK show could due to its longevity. For me, Dwight is the single best character in either.

Gervais certainly is more accurately cringe inducing than SC but they're both very good.

Dwight is fantastic in it. So is Kevin actually.

.ak wrote: »
    Dwight is fantastic in it. So is Kevin actually.

Bears, beets, Battlestar Gallactica.

To me Ricky Gervais is a genius. The office was ground breaking...i remember watching it and after 10 mins i knew it was brilliant. The characters are spot on and the use of pauses to heighten embarrassment is a thing of beauty.

Derek is so different but great to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ssaye2

To me Ricky Gervais is a genius. The office was ground breaking...i remember watching it and after 10 mins i knew it was brilliant. The characters are spot on and the use of pauses to heighten embarrassment is a thing of beauty.

Derek is so different but great to watch.

Remember him in the early days on the 11 oclock show which had early ali g sketches too. What a climb from mediocrity for them. Loads of clips online most NSFW

• Advertisement

BmiOEifCQAA3Uth.jpg
    Ayrton Senna tribute from Corinthians last night

Think we're onto a new sport here...

I'd be interested on people's views on house to house canvassing that politicians do here. It's really seems to be an entrenched Irish tradition (along with using rainforests to print posters and hang them on lamp-posts), but in NZ it would be a polite or not so polite F.O. at every door if politicians tried walking round the streets and popping in for a cup of tea.

Has anyone here actually spent time talking to people who canvas??

• Advertisement

The advantage of living in an apartment is that they don't bother calling. I don't even know what constituency I live in, or who my candidates are.

The advantage of living in an apartment is that they don't bother calling. I don't even know what constituency I live in, or who my candidates are.

Yeah, we never get calls. Apparently they are supposed to know if you're eligible to vote or registered or whatever, and I'm neither, so never bothered by knocks on the door. Which suits me fine. But I've heard of people inviting them in for cups of tea & biscuits, which I would never ever consider doing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

How do they do it in NZ swiwi?

I have no bother talking to the politicians unless they're parties I particularly dislike. The Greens and Sinn Fein just get looks of disgust off me until they walk away. The rest of them are just awful fake which I think is a bit gas.

Teferi wrote: »
    How do they do it in NZ swiwi?

I have no bother talking to the politicians unless they're parties I dislike. The Greens and Sinn Fein just get looks of disgust off me until they walk away.

The way the voting system works it's less important to win the local seats, but my impression is people tend more to vote more for candidates because of the party they represent, rather than because they knocked on the door, went to every funeral, helped so-and-so get a passport etc.

They usually have to be a bit known, but it's more from having made a name in business, sport, local affairs (as in local business...).

So are you telling me Teferi if Mr Fine Gael or Ms Fianna Fail or whoever asked to speak to you about the upcoming vote, you'd stop and yarn for a bit? Surely not the tea & biscuits, though??

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Even growing up I had to laugh at my parents. They weren't big FF fans, but they liked the local TDs so voted for them without fail. The level of logical disconnect was obvious to me as a 10 year old!

I'd quite like to speak to a couple candidates at the door to be honest but I'd have no interest in generic canvassers.

David Trimble called at my door once. :D

(At home, obviously).

Ireland is depressingly backwards when it comes to voting. We still have a large number of the electorate who cast their votes based on who their family traditionally voted for dating back to the civil war. People do no research into their vote and then gladly complain about whoever is in power.

"Why am I voting FG? Well aren't they the best of a bad bunch? Ahahaha"

A variation of the above will be uttered by a significant chunk of those voting. We are still a horribly backwards nation when it comes to voting and understanding our system.

Who can vote? Do you need citizenship or what?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Buer wrote: »
    Ireland is depressingly backwards when it comes to voting. We still have a large number of the electorate who cast their votes based on who their family traditionally voted for dating back to the civil war. People do no research into their vote and then gladly complain about whoever is in power.

"Why am I voting FG? Well aren't they the best of a bad bunch? Ahahaha"

A variation of the above will be uttered by a significant chunk of those voting. We are still a horribly backwards nation when it comes to voting and understanding our system.

Is that a fair reflection of things anymore though? Politically we've been well and truly woken up recently so I wonder if it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Who can vote? Do you need citizenship or what?

Irish or British citizenship

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

ssaye2 wrote: »
    Knowing Lacey a bit that's what he looks like the whole time
    I'd be interested on people's views on house to house canvassing that politicians do here. It's really seems to be an entrenched Irish tradition (along with using rainforests to print posters and hang them on lamp-posts), but in NZ it would be a polite or not so polite F.O. at every door if politicians tried walking round the streets and popping in for a cup of tea.

Has anyone here actually spent time talking to people who canvas??
    I have but not this time around yet. Last time I was at home when there was canvassers I did talk to a few politicians but in the main I slammed door in face of them. While our electoral system isn't great im not sure how many others are much better..

Irish or British citizenship

Local and Europeans I think any EU citizen resident in Ireland can vote.

For general elections it's UK and Ireland alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Is that a fair reflection of things anymore though? Politically we've been well and truly woken up recently so I wonder if it is.

I think it still very much is in a lot of the country. All people have been woken up to is another thing to whinge and moan about. We voted FG in for FF and are now complaining and grumbling about them every bit as much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone

David Trimble called at my door once. :D

(At home, obviously).

It was when Martin McGuinness called at your door you decided to move south? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

I'm utterly disillusioned with politics to be honest. I usually vote just to see my old primary school. I get two voting slips every time even though I tell them about it every year. So I am twice as valuable as the next person apparently.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

molloyjh wrote: »
    I think it still very much is in a lot of the country. All people have been woken up to is another thing to whinge and moan about. We voted FG in for FF and are now complaining and grumbling about them every bit as much.

Lol but isn't that politics summed up in 3 words :pac:
    Grimebox wrote: »
    I'm utterly disillusioned with politics to be honest. I usually vote just to see my old primary school. I get two voting slips every time even though I tell them about it every year. So I am twice as valuable as the next person apparently.

In many ways I don't think I'd like to ever be illusioned with politics.

They're all a bunch of liars.

Ah we'll never do this and we'll definitely do that...unless we get in, then it's a free for all.

Think it was pat rabitte who recently admitted as much - something along the lines of "sure isn't that what you tell people to get elected".

As i get older i get more cynical, but politics and politicians never change.

They're all a bunch of liars.

Ah we'll never do this and we'll definitely do that...unless we get in, then it's a free for all.

It's "our" own fault for electing people based on promises they can't possibly deliver. If someone was realistic they'd never get anywhere in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

This sounds a bit sad,but I was really looking forward to voting.It's the second time I'll get to vote,the first being on the Seanad referendum.I'm thinking to myself "This'll be great,I'll research the candidates and really pick the best one for the job".Then,I find out there's both European and local elections on.Ok,that makes matters a bit more complicated,but I'll manage.Then,Patrick Nulty resigns and I'm suddenly faced with three elections on the same day!The area's covered with posters and I haven't a clue who's running for what anymore.This isn't half as fun as I expected.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement