Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The all new and only slightly recycled off topic thread (read post 1)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Grimebox wrote: »
    I use the Moto G 16gb. There is a thread about how to get it cheaply here. It is the best phone I have ever had. Since your already used to android, I couldn't recommend it any more. It is a mid range performance phone with the idea of keeping the battery life as long as possible. It is the fastest phone I have ever used any way so I wouldn't notice that its hasn't got the best processor out there. The battery lasts about up to two days with general use (calls, texts, whatsapp, small bit of internet browsing) which is mind blowing compared to your average high-end android or Iphone. Right now my battery is at 58% and has been going for 15 hours. I never have to worry about charging since I got this. And for ~180 euro, its a steal.

It's not capable of 4G yet as far as I know, which is unfortunately a deal breaker for me because I need it for some work things. My current phone is on it's last legs so I'll be getting a new one shortly as well I reckon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

My biggest complaint would be the lack of an SD slot. I filled up the 16gb fairly quickly. No phone has SD slots any more though it seems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭umop.episdn

Yeah the moto g is a decent phone at the price. But I'm thinking at least the nexus 5, HTC one or Samsung s4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Does anyone follow NBA? This Kiwi lad Steven Adams is rapidly making a decent go of pro baskeball for the Oklahoma City Thunder. He was the first Kiwi to be selected in the first round of an NBA draft. From these video highlights, he looks good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Did my first 5km+ run without having to slow to a walk/stop at any point earlier, feels like a milestone. Aiming to do the Fingal 10k in July.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭Taco Corp

lol at liverpool :pac:

• Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I hate football. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Liverpool Liverpool Liverpool... sweet jesus christ

Still, 2nd/3rd is a world away from the last few seasons, hopefully Man city win out, it would be too painful otherwise

Tox56 wrote: »
    Liverpool Liverpool Liverpool... sweet jesus christ

Still, 2nd/3rd is a world away from the last few seasons, hopefully Man city win out, it would be too painful otherwise

Tbh I think 2nd would be about as cruel as it got for Liverpool, they had the league in their hands. And I don't think they'll be back next season tbh. Chelsea with a striker, Man Utd will spend a fortune and get a real manager, City will be stronger again.

• Advertisement

Desperately need a centre half.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

danthefan wrote: »
    Did my first 5km+ run without having to slow to a walk/stop at any point earlier, feels like a milestone. Aiming to do the Fingal 10k in July.

Nice work.

July is ages away, you'll have no bother. Getting up to a steady 5k was by far the hardest part of it for me. Once you're there you can keep adding an extra k or two every now and again much more easily. And it is just significantly more pleasant deciding to go for a run at lunch or after work when you know it won't completely kill you.

I know absolutely nothing about football these days. I was a Newcastle fan growing up though - during the Keegan years. Coming second after having the league in your hands is fairly ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Hahaha that was funny.

awec wrote: »
    Desperately need a centre half.

That third goal was like the parting of the red sea. How the hell did the Palace striker get so much space?

Anyway very little sympathy for Suarez balling his eyes out tbh, he's thoroughly unpleasant.
    Podge_irl wrote: »
    Nice work.

July is ages away, you'll have no bother. Getting up to a steady 5k was by far the hardest part of it for me. Once you're there you can keep adding an extra k or two every now and again much more easily. And it is just significantly more pleasant deciding to go for a run at lunch or after work when you know it won't completely kill you.

Cheers. My phone was telling me 5.31km so naturally the next step is 6km I guess. As you said I'll just keep adding bit by bit.

I know absolutely nothing about football these days. I was a Newcastle fan growing up though - during the Keegan years. Coming second after having the league in your hands is fairly ****.

It was in Liverpools hands in a way, in that they had to just win all their games to see it out.

But if they had done that it would have required them to set a new premier league record for wins in a row. They were going well but conceding too many and got out of jail a few times.

IMO Pelligrini called it right when he said there would still be twists. I thought Liverpool would drop points, unfortunately it has happened right at the end in the time that'll hurt the most.

• Advertisement

Tbh I think 2nd would be about as cruel as it got for Liverpool, they had the league in their hands. And I don't think they'll be back next season tbh. Chelsea with a striker, Man Utd will spend a fortune and get a real manager, City will be stronger again.

Painful as it gets would be Man city dropping points that a win here would have capitalised on. I dunno what exactly the table looks like but finishing 2nd or 3rd is irrelevant, it's all the same

Tox56 wrote: »
    Painful as it gets would be Man city dropping points that a win here would have capitalised on. I dunno what exactly the table looks like but finishing 2nd or 3rd is irrelevant, it's all the same

Liverpool on 81 points, 1 game to go
    City on 80 points, 2 games to go

That third goal was like the parting of the red sea. How the hell did the Palace striker get so much space?

It was Skrtel being brainless and thinking that he has to personally win every single ball.

Liverpool on 81 points, 1 game to go
    City on 80 points, 2 games to go

Yeah so City can afford a draw and a win with their GD. I suppose it's not all over and stranger things have happened (like tonight..) but realistically that's it I reckon.

My point was that in my mind it would way more painful if City do drop points but still win it, that would be truly sickening.

Ouch! 3-0 up with 12 minutes left on the clock. Better luck next year awec!

• Advertisement

If City lose against Villa then the ball is back in Liverpool's court.

But that won't happen.

2nd is still good - people thought Liverpool would struggle for 4th this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭umop.episdn

As a Utd fan I kinda feel for Liverpool tonight, so long since their last title & to see it almost in your grasp, only to be yanked away is downright cruel

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

The spirit of Istanbul past

Just got woken up by a god damn pigeon building a ****ing nest under my bloody bed. Is that not pretty weird!?

This place has no air conditioning. If I can't sleep with the window open...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Sounds like you've got dinner sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ssaye2

Some 2015 WC gear on lovell

Was looking at some of it ages ago but more options now

Like this

19448.jpg

1907335_10152813971204638_7729035594716052269_n.jpg

Bm7bx6vCQAACRAq.jpg

https://twitter.com/J_Jamesy/status/463549465517776896/photo/1
    @Rugbyworldmag is this the oldest front row in history?! Combined age of 190.... pic.twitter.com/CykVuzwEM0

Fair play

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

Being a Kerryman I am not well versed in the pubs of Dublin. Could you lads make a few suggestions of decent places to sink a few ships in the general vicinity of the RDS? Also recommendations for decent places for grub wouldnt go amiss either.

Any tips lads for finishing up a rental and getting the bond back? We've always dealt with the landlords directly, and have mutually agreed not to pay the last month's rent v the bond (we have always left our places in good condition), but our current place is via a letting agency, and the rental agreement has a clause specifically prohibiting this practice. I just don't trust the letting agency not to find some bullshìt reason not to keep back money. On the other hand, I'm not sure I can face not paying the last month's rent and then having an aggressive letting agency on my back. Any advice from the locals welcome!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Just got woken up by a god damn pigeon building a ****ing nest under my bloody bed. Is that not pretty weird!?

This place has no air conditioning. If I can't sleep with the window open...

Sounds like you need some sort of blind/netting thing. You can improvise even.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Swiwi. wrote: »
    Any tips lads for finishing up a rental and getting the bond back? We've always dealt with the landlords directly, and have mutually agreed not to pay the last month's rent v the bond (we have always left our places in good condition), but our current place is via a letting agency, and the rental agreement has a clause specifically prohibiting this practice. I just don't trust the letting agency not to find some bullshìt reason not to keep back money. On the other hand, I'm not sure I can face not paying the last month's rent and then having an aggressive letting agency on my back. Any advice from the locals welcome!

Not an expert by all means but usually it's the landlord who holds the deposit (not the agency). Also if you're leaving the country there realistically isn't an awful lot the agency can do so if you don't trust them to give you back the deposit then the 'last month rent = the deposit back' option might well be the best one to take

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

chupacabra wrote: »
    Being a Kerryman I am not well versed in the pubs of Dublin. Could you lads make a few suggestions of decent places to sink a few ships in the general vicinity of the RDS? Also recommendations for decent places for grub wouldnt go amiss either.

In the general vicinity of the RDS you have a huge choice of pubs, Ballsbridge, Donnybrook, Sandymount, Haddington Road, and Irishtown/Ringsend too.

Mary Macs in Ballsbridge I like, Kiely's in Donnybrook (McCloskey's at the other end is an old mans pub but nice for a few quiet ones but prob a bit of a walk), Beggar's Bush on Haddington Rd is great on a sunny day as you can sit outside, Slattery's (I haven't been there in years though) just down from Beggars's Bush, I think there's a done up pub on Bath Avenue that looks nice from the outside too but I haven't been in it.

I've only dealt with one letting agency, the rest with landlords, and they were grand. They did the inspection the day I left and I had my deposit back in a few days.

If you think there's anything possible wrong flag it to them asap. You could try and arrange it that you're there when they do the final inspection so there can be no hidden agendas by them.

Ye have to pay the last months rent I'm afraid.

When are you off?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I'm confused. Are you paying the last month's rent with the bond?

My sister had a run in with a dodgy landlord who attempted to take the deposit for incredibly dubious reasons. She ended up taking him to court and winning, but it was all done for free through various government run initiatives to protect renters. She hadn't a clue about legal stuff too, so if worst comes to worst there is always that option.

Grimebox wrote: »
    I'm confused. Are you paying the last month's rent with the bond?

My sister had a run in with a dodgy landlord who attempted to take the deposit for incredibly dubious reasons. She ended up taking him to court and winning, but it was all done for free through various government run initiatives to protect renters. She hadn't a clue about legal stuff too, so if worst comes to worst there is always that option.

No, the bond was paid over at the start. In the past I have agreed with my landlords not to pay the last month's rent, and they keep the bond, but I don't mind paying the last month's rent, it's just I never trust the letting agent to give back the bond, but I guess if they're reputable and we leave the house in good order, it should be OK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Maybe try to arrange an inspection with the agency before the last month's rent is due to iron out any potential 'issues'? Failing that if you have the landlord's contact details maybe get in touch with them directly (their contact details should be on the lease).

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

chupacabra wrote: »

Smyth's for pints: http://www.yelp.ie/biz/smyths-dublin-2
    Butcher's Grill for food: http://www.yelp.ie/biz/the-butcher-grill-dublin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

be prepared to fight for your bond back from a letting agency. When we moved out of our first flat in Dublin, it my mate and I 3 months to get the bond back and that was from a very well known and "reputable" agency. We had to constantly call and harass them.

My friend just spent 4 months chasing her bond after moving overseas and once again it was a reputable agency.

Good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭OldRio

ssaye2 wrote: »
    Bm7bx6vCQAACRAq.jpg

https://twitter.com/J_Jamesy/status/463549465517776896/photo/1
    @Rugbyworldmag is this the oldest front row in history?! Combined age of 190.... pic.twitter.com/CykVuzwEM0

Fair play

There's hope for me yet.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

If you've any issues at all, get the PRTB onto them. I've done it before and it scared the deposit out of them fairly sharpish.

dregin wrote: »

We have definitely crossed paths :pac:

That's a good idea and with it being only £5 for an adult it should get a good crowd too.

Wales are only playing a two test series in SA though which is a bit weird as both Oz and NZ are hosting 3 test tours

• Advertisement

ssaye2 wrote: »

Ah, Gats has wheeled out the good ol' Kiwi classic of a probables v possibles match. Used to be one of the highlights of the calendar in the amateur days. £5 is a great deal. Hopefully for Wales it's not deckchairs on the titanic stuff heading out to Suid Afrika...

My dog got put to sleep about an hour ago. Gutted. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

Sorry to hear that! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

Jesus sorry to hear that

Yea she was 16 or 17 and had cancer - big growth underneath her near the size of a melon. Hadn't eaten all week and could barely move.

Dogs are amazing until it gets to this point, then it really sucks. Had this dog since I was only a wee lad too. :(

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement