Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The all new and only slightly recycled off topic thread (read post 1)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Don't worry, folks. It's not until this afternoon.

Alternatively, that gives the rest of us the morning to come up with new and cruel ways to derail the thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Buer wrote: »
    Don't worry, folks. It's not until this afternoon.

Alternatively, that gives the rest of us the morning to come up with new and cruel ways to derail the thread.

Like faux outrage at the fact Billy Dardis and Ronan O'Mahoney aren't travelling? :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

or come up with a drinking game, based on how we know the thread will unfold.

.ak wrote: »
    Like faux outrage at the fact Billy Dardis and Ronan O'Mahoney aren't travelling? :P

*takes notes*

You're on the wrong side of the fence, .ak.

or come up with a drinking game, based on how we know the thread will unfold.

Every time MG tries to undermine Schmidt, drink twice.

Every time an Ulster fan laments one of their players being underrated, drink once.

Every time a Leinster fan refers to Schmidt in the chummy manner of "Joe", drink.

Every time a Connacht fan claims Marmion needs to be starting a game, drink twice.

Every time there's a post about Simon Zebo specifically, drink twice.

Every time Jackass posts an incoherent rant at 3am, down your entire drink.

Are you trying to kill people?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Every time a Leinster fan refers to Schmidt in the chummy manner of "Joe", drink.

Guilty as charged

.ak wrote: »
    Are you trying to kill people?

If he dies, he dies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

OldRio wrote: »
    My heart bleeds not. Try supporting Leitrim. Our one annual championship game a season. Tis over again. Thank God for the back door.

The back door in football has never been kind to us.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I could never stand Gaelic Football. Far too much pulling and dragging and speoching going on. Hurling all the way.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Everyone all set for the elections?

Just found out I'm not registered, ****e!

CatFromHue wrote: »

As a boring git, I actually emailed all my local councillors to query whether there were any plans to resurface the local main road, recently (it's in utter sh*te).

All of them got back to me (6 people). 5 of them replied within 48 hours and gave me an incorrect answer or blatantly lied to tell me what I wanted to hear.

The remaining individual said they would raise the issue, look into it and give me a considered response in the coming days which they did, providing an accurate answer.

Pretty easy for me to decide who to vote for now!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Ha, that reminds me when I was emailing my local TD's with evidence of how the JobBridge scheme was being abused and why it wasn't working.

Bizarrely the People Before Profit never got back to me and Labour were the last to!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I have no idea who to vote for.

I'm thinking they are all as bad as each other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

CatFromHue wrote: »

Yeah. Not sure who at European level but local stuff easy enough.
    mfceiling wrote: »
    I have no idea who to vote for.

I'm thinking they are all as bad as each other.
    Don't think they are. Local elections easier to find someone who will appeal to you in some way or another imo than general elections....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,330 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves is on. The second most phenomenal of all villain performances ever.

"I'll cut your heart out with a spoon!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

GoT talk:
    Littlefinger, the murderin' baxtard. Best episode of the season so far! Now the show decides to take a two week break. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

GoT talk:
    Littlefinger, the murderin' baxtard. Best episode of the season so far! Now the show decides to take a two week break. :(

I found it to be a very slow episode purely setting up for the next one. Which is a biggie.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Def the best GOT episode so far. Pure class. Has set up the next one really well too. Raging we've to wait 2 weeks for it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

I found it a bit slow too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Journeyman_1

I love this story so much. Even having read the books (twice) and talking about this episode before i saw it with a friend and thus knowing what was going to happen/not happen I was still eagerly anticipating every scene. I don't wholly agree with the way they are doing some stuff on the show, but it's still very good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭umop.episdn

I haven't seen it yet, have to stay away from this thread for 24 hours just in case :)

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Even a hint of a spoiler that's not covered up will see you banned. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭umop.episdn

awec wrote: »
    Even a hint of a spoiler that's not covered up will see you banned. ;)

The first post had a spoiler.....but an unhappy face at the end! Now I'm wondering wtf has happened! I'm wandering around my living room shouting, "Hodor! Hodor!"

I don't find any of the episodes too slow, but that's just my taste. I want them to be longer and more drawn out! Probably why I liked true detective so much...

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I thought it was a slow episode, but the last one before it, to me, was absolutely excellent.

Devastated it's taking 2 weeks off. But I happen to be going on holiday during that time, so no real complaints.

That's actually a really interesting concept. Training the media in the basic elements of scrummaging will hopefully reduce the guesswork in their pieces somewhat.

I don't know if it's just a PR thing or what but still pretty cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

That's actually a really interesting concept. Training the media in the basic elements of scrummaging will hopefully reduce the guesswork in their pieces somewhat.

I don't know if it's just a PR thing or what but still pretty cool.

Thornley not there?

He doesn't need training though - just throws in a few soundbites like Ballast, Workhorse, Dark acts, Grunt and Enforcer and that's his article done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Anyone play GTA 5 online?

mfceiling wrote: »
    Thornley not there?

Hors de combat, I believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Used to a fair bit. The matchmaking was a disaster in terms of trying to get into teams with your mates so I gave up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

As a boring git, I actually emailed all my local councillors to query whether there were any plans to resurface the local main road, recently (it's in utter sh*te).

All of them got back to me (6 people). 5 of them replied within 48 hours and gave me an incorrect answer or blatantly lied to tell me what I wanted to hear.

The remaining individual said they would raise the issue, look into it and give me a considered response in the coming days which they did, providing an accurate answer.

Pretty easy for me to decide who to vote for now!

I have a simpler method. Did they put a flier through my letterbox despite the "no junk mail" sign? If so, clearly they are illiterate. Which shouldn't make for a good representative if they can't read. So that whittles it down by 1. At the moment, I think no-one is Dublin 14 is getting my vote...

It annoys me down here in Kerry that certain families will just always vote for the same party. Many friends of mine have families that will always only vote for FF or FG no matter how competent the politician in question is. I also have a very soft spot for the Healy-Rae's. They might be the laughing stock of the country along side the likes of Ming and Wallace but they work bloody hard for the people of South Kerry. Ok except Danny Healy-Rae, he is a bit of a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Ming is a laughing stock of the country?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

chupacabra wrote: »
    It annoys me down here in Kerry that certain families will just always vote for the same party. Many friends of mine have families that will always only vote for FF or FG no matter how competent the politician in question is. I also have a very soft spot for the Healy-Rae's. They might be the laughing stock of the country along side the likes of Ming and Wallace but they work bloody hard for the people of South Kerry. Ok except Danny Healy-Rae, he is a bit of a joke.
    Its not just Kerry its completely across the country that people vote by party not by ability of politicians.
    That's fine that they work hard for the people in their area but that's fine at local level not ideal at dail/seanad level and more is needed..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Its not just Kerry its completely across the country that people vote by party not by ability of politicians.
    That's fine that they work hard for the people in their area but that's fine at local level not ideal at dail/seanad level and more is needed..

Not going to get into a political debate, but I'll just say it's hopeless at dail/seanad level. Having every politician do the utmost for their own little patch, with no coherent national policy doesn't really help progress. I don't blame Healy-Rae and the like for bending over backwards for the Kerry locals, it guarantees them a seat in parliament for perpetuity, but you can't run a country with a team of Healy-Raes.

Personally, I like Leo Varadakhar, purely because he calls a spade and spade, and doesn't seem to care if someone will take offence. Seems to be man who can get things done. Maybe he looks after his own back yard, no idea, but at least for a cabinet minister seems to be a man of action and not just words...

...with Leo at the helm of sports, I rate Ireland a good chance for future RWC hosting rights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭OldRio

Grimebox wrote: »

Ming has got my vote in the past and will get my vote in the future.

On election day I will fight my way past the sheep (herded in by FF and FG) and vote on issues, not on some misplaced loyalty my grand parents had.
    It won't matter of course. National local and European. Nothing changes.

In the words of 'The Who'
    Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

Grimebox wrote: »

In my experience a lot of my fathers generation find him to be a big joke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

I used to play it a bit as well. Was part of some Boards crew on the PS3. Its a bit of a free for all though online. Actually put it on for the first time in months on Saturday. 20 secs after I went online, someone put a $7000 bounty on me.
    Feck this I thought and left.

The free roaming is a bit of a mess but the missions and survivor mode can be good. Just need play with the right people.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Two knees are in ****e and the big end of year tournament is coming up in a couple of weeks, and my parents are coming over that weekend. Was really looking forward to it, but I think my season is over.

I wish it was only in Kerry. It's everywhere. People look after their own interests and vote for their popular locals. Bertie Ahern in Dublin, Michael Lowry in Tipperary, John O'Mahoney in Mayo etc.

Admittedly, Kerry seem to have a bad bunch overall in terms of the dubious. Spring and MHR are where they are because of their surnames. Jimmy Deenihan is a famous county footballer. Martin Ferris was a well known IRA member who obviously retained strong links (how on earth an elected TD could collect a murderer from prison and get re-elected is beyond me). His daughter looks set to step into his shoes when he's gone too. Brendan Griffin got several members of his family jobs in his office and the county council after he was elected.

I'm sure there are other constituencies with similarly dodgy track records in all of their politicians (my local hero was Ivor Callely, a corrupt and odious little git if there ever was one) but Kerry seems to have a few guys that have quite high profiles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

In my experience a lot of my fathers generation find him to be a big joke.

I don't really like ming, but wouldn't call him a laughing stock. I can see why people don't take him seriously considering his looks though

When cannabis is eventually regulated in Ireland he will be a trailblazer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

I don't really like ming, but wouldn't call him a laughing stock. I can see why people don't take him seriously considering his looks though

:pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

I would hate to see Ming running the country but I think it is vital to have him in the Dail and I think he will be wasted in Europe.

There are too many 'Yes' men in the Dail and it's good to see someone actually standing up for something even if I don't fully agree with everything he stands for

Talking to yourself is the first sign of madness, Ugo.

I don't particularly like Ming. I think he came in and could have been something great in terms of a completely alternative perspective on things. However, it didn't take him too long to become ingrained into the Irish political mentality regarding the penalty points. He showed himself to be as just as big a hypocrite as any of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Cannabis won't be regulated until clean shaven chaps in suits start making positive noises. Ming looks like an aged hippy and the types of people that turn up to legalise cannabis marches are those anti-authority types that you can't take seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

The whole political system in this country is a farce, and it's all because of the electorate. We want national level politicians dealing with local issues. What are they going to say to that? No? Then they don't get elected, simple as. We're all more than happy to complain about things like the health service but when a politician calls to the door we show far more interest in hearing what they're going to do about local potholes than how they plan on fixing the HSE. Until such a time as the Irish people cop the f*k onto themselves this isn't going to get any better. But again as a collective we'd rather blame the politicians than admit any responsibility ourselves.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,330 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

It doesn't help that the Dail is whipped to within an inch of its life.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement