Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The all new and only slightly recycled off topic thread (read post 1)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Hagz wrote: »
    I don't think it's awful and I do find it mildly amusing, but it certainly didn't live up to the hype for me, and I didn't laugh anywhere near as much as I did watching It's always sunny or Parks and Rec. I find the humour to be a little too...... obvious?(I don't know if that's the right word).

I would have thought there's a hell of a lot of subtle jokes throughout. There's plenty of obvious jokes but a huge amount of hidden jokes and references in each episode.

My personal favourite was Dan Castellaneta appearing as a doctor who, after misdiagnosing a condition, can be heard saying "Doh!" under his breath when he admits it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Buer wrote: »
    My personal favourite was Dan Castellaneta appearing as a doctor who, after misdiagnosing a condition, can be heard saying "Doh!" under his breath when he admits it.

I guess it's down to personal preference. I wouldn't find that funny in the slightest to be honest. Like I said, I don't think obvious was the right word. For instance, the Office to me is the opposite of AD. A lot of the humour in the Office is down to timing and little things like tone of voice or facial expressions. I can watch an hour of Michael (of the office) sitting in a chair talking to the camera and find myself in stitches. Whereas in AD, it seems like the ridiculousness is where the comedy comes from. Like Michael dating a british woman who's mentally challenged. I just didn't find that funny at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I would have thought there's a hell of a lot of subtle jokes throughout. There's plenty of obvious jokes but a huge amount of hidden jokes and references in each episode.

Or the fact they replace Henry Winkler's character with Scott Baio as the family lawyer, and he says "this isn't the first time I've had to replace Barry Zuckercorn". Happy Days reference!

For me it has the best written dialogue of any comedy show ever put out there. So good. I think the line that originally sucked me into it was the classic Lucille one:

"Lucille:When's the last time you went on a date?

Michael: I just haven't met anybody who's not completely self-absorbed and impossible to have a conversation with.

Lucille:If that's a veiled criticism about me, I won't hear it and I won't respond to it."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

I will say that Micheal dating the British women was one of the few bad running story lines from the original three seasons, imo

Or the fact they replace Henry Winkler's character with Scott Baio as the family lawyer, and he says "this isn't the first time I've had to replace Barry Zuckercorn". Happy Days reference!

Yup, the show is absolutely loaded with them. There was a lovely subtle one where Zuckercorn was down at the waterfront and hopped over a shark that was on the pier.

The episode where Justine Bateman appears has several little great jokes too in reference to her brother.

Absolutely love the show, I must admit.

I will say that Micheal dating the British women was one of the few bad running story lines from the original three seasons, imo

Agreed. They did it really cleverly. You look at some of the story lines they attempt and think "No way can this be funny" but they never fail. Incest, the main character planning on having sex with the mentally disabled woman, a major Oedipus complex, racism, alcoholism; they go after anything and make it work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Big fan of Arrested Development, love all the little running jokes throughout the series.

Only watched season 1 of Forbrydelsen (The Killing) but really enjoyed it; the American version is actually ok as well, it is worth watching the two seasons of it to give a proper appraisal of it. If you like Scandinavian drama I would recommend Borgen (political drama) and The Bridge (crime/detective), up there with Forbrydelsen for quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭ConFurioso

Agreed. They did it really cleverly. You look at some of the story lines they attempt and think "No way can this be funny" but they never fail. Incest, the main character planning on having sex with the mentally disabled woman, a major Oedipus complex, racism, alcoholism; they go after anything and make it work.

Put all those story lines together, baby you got a stew goin'!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Hmm I'll give it another chance... Just didn't find it subtle enough or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Thankfully my near 20,000 posts on here didn't stop me getting a decent degree today. ;)

• Advertisement

Thankfully my near 20,000 posts on here didn't stop me getting a decent degree today. ;)

Same with me, although a lot less than 20,000!

Fair play. Now, onto the next 20,000 to get a job.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Maybe you could provide us with a selection of your greatest posts throughout the years to mark the occasion. Something like "thomond thru the ages a retrospective review".

Maybe you could provide us with a selection of your greatest posts throughout the years to mark the occasion. Something like "thomond thru the ages a retrospective review".

No problem:

2008:
    "John Hayes is a ligind"

2009:
    "John Hayes is a ligind"

2010:
    "John Hayes is a ligind"

2011:
    "John Hayes is a ligind"

2012:
    "John Hayes is a ligind"

2013:
    "John Hayes is a ligind"

Tbh I'd rather not look back, there's been some awful garbage written. :o

No problem:

2008:
    "John Hayes is a ligind"

2009:
    "John Hayes is a ligind"

2010:
    "John Hayes is a ligind"

2011:
    "John Hayes is a ligind"

2012:
    "John Hayes is a ligind"

2013:
    "John Hayes is a ligind"

Tbh I'd rather not look back, there's been some awful garbage written. :o

What about your first ever post!

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

You can get that from his profile!

It seems to be this

"What has happened to Brian Carney? Haven't heard any mention off him since last season. Thought he was pretty good last season for Munster in HC pool stages and ML. Any hope for another Ireland call up from old coach Kidney?"

Probably worth a 4/10.

You were right about Gray by the way IBF, I concede. You'll have your work cut out with Barritt though!

This is the highlight of his posting career....

.ak wrote: »
    This is the highlight of his posting career....

You have way too much time on your hands .ak. Unless you had that page bookmarked?

• Advertisement

You have way too much time on your hands .ak. Unless you had that page bookmarked?

He has it printed out and it allegedly hangs above his headboard on his bed.

I am... Thomond2006.

I am... Thomond2006.

and I'm Conor George

You were right about Gray by the way IBF, I concede. You'll have your work cut out with Barritt though!

I don't know what I said about Barritt, but I don't think he'll do much of note tomorrow or on this tour.

I think he is a very good player, but I don't think he could possibly suit this Lions side really.

Nadal knocked out first round of Wimbledon. That's a surprise. I guess I'll be supporting Roger, but I wouldn't mind if that French guy Tsonga won a tournament.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

11 months of the year I don't really care for Tennis but I follow Wimbledon obsessively.

I follow it loosely, but I'm also a bit of a Wimbledon obsessive. Gutted Nadal went out. Didn't even get to see him play! My favourite player of this generation by far.

Will be rooting for the underdogs now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Bit of a shock with Nadal alright, the early going on grass seems to not agree with him for some reason.

Saw World War Z today, not as disappointed as I thought I would be with it.

I follow it loosely, but I'm also a bit of a Wimbledon obsessive. Gutted Nadal went out. Didn't even get to see him play! My favourite player of this generation by far.

Will be rooting for the underdogs now.

I grew up with Stefan Edberg. Thought he was great. Loved his battles with Boom Boom Becker.

If I had to spend a weekend on the lash with any celebrity it'd probably be Becker.

• Advertisement

P_1 wrote: »
    Bit of a shock with Nadal alright, the early going on grass seems to not agree with him for some reason.

Saw World War Z today, not as disappointed as I thought I would be with it.

Yeah, saw it yesterday. It was a bit meh tbh, but enjoyable.

If I had to spend a weekend on the lash with any celebrity it'd probably be Becker.

Not in a cupboard, though.

Bring back the days of Becker, Chang, Agassi and Ivanisevic! I have to say that Federer's emergence somewhat dampened my enthusiasm for the tournament. Too robotic. Nadal's presence has improved things but still certainly not the personality and colour of years gone past.

Still consider Ivanisevic's win to be one of the best fairytale endings to any sporting event. Ranked 125th and only in the tournament on a wildcard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

I read the book, which was grand...don't know how it would transfer the screen though.

If they changed the plot/outlook completely, I probably won't bother, I don't have much interest in general zombie movies tbh.

Yeah, saw it yesterday. It was a bit meh tbh, but enjoyable.
    Yeah would have preferred if they had it more like the book with flashbacks but what can you do
    Not in a cupboard, though.
    Careful now...

Bring back the days of Becker, Chang, Agassi and Ivanisevic! I have to say that Federer's emergence somewhat dampened my enthusiasm for the tournament. Too robotic. Nadal's presence has improved things but still certainly not the personality and colour of years gone past.

Still consider Ivanisevic's win to be one of the best fairytale endings to any sporting event. Ranked 125th and only in the tournament on a wildcard.

Yeah, I do really miss the good ol' days. Agassi and his pink shorts or whatever it was, and as you say Goran coming from nowhere and winning. He threw some wicked tantrums in his time. That Brazilian Gustavo Guerten (?sp) was a good watch too.

Never really warmed to Federer. Everyone in my family are big into tennis and play, and they all like Federer. But I just found his personality recked what should be admiration for a world class player. He reminds me of a bad guy from James Bond or something... Pretending to be nice but in reality he has a pool full of sharks and tortures kittens.

Never really warmed to Federer. Everyone in my family are big into tennis and play, and they all like Federer. But I just found his personality recked what should be admiration for a world class player. He reminds me of a bad guy from James Bond or something... Pretending to be nice but in reality he has a pool full of sharks and tortures kittens.

If I might say so, he kind of typifies all the Swiss German cliches. Doesn't strike you as much craic away from the game. But I admire what he's achieved.

If I might say so, he kind of typifies all the Swiss German cliches. Doesn't strike you as much craic away from the game. But I admire what he's achieved.

Yeah, he's almost too polite at times too. Have to say the golf RF logos he started sporting a few years ago really irritated me for some reason

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Gotta be Murray for me, followed him since he was younger and always rooted for him, easier to relate to someone like him than the superstars Fed/Nadal

• Advertisement

Did anyone else find Gabriela Sabatini just a little bit hot?

No. She looked too much like Agassi.

No. She looked too much like Agassi.

Did I ruin it for you? If not, check this out.

article-1284023-09E37183000005DC-624_224x300.jpg

231355-andre-agassi.jpg

Back in the early 90s she was the female sporting sex symbol.

Back in the early 90s she was the female sporting sex symbol.

Thank you Buer!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,330 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

His three day semi final against Henman was absolutely class. I remember him serving a second serve ace when down match point. The final was pretty high quality tennis too.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    His three day semi final against Henman was absolutely class. I remember him serving a second serve ace when down match point. The final was pretty high quality tennis too.

Yup, was simply a great year. He came from nowhere and beat serious players at almost every stage: Moya, Rusedski, Henman, Rafter, Safin, Roddick. On paper, every single one of them should have mopped the floor with him. He hadn't won a tournament in years.

The ending where he climbed up through the stands in floods of tears to his father is still one of the most emotionally charged moments in sport.

Thinking of it reminded me of another moment which much more depressing but probably even more emotionally charged. Derek Redmond's 400m semi final in the Barca Olympics when he tore his hamstring and insisted on finishing the race with his father: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2G8KVzTwfw

You can have Becker.

I'd spend a weekend on the lash with Emma Watson. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Check out Savea's dancing skills

• Advertisement

Hagz wrote: »
    Check out Savea's dancing skills

Puts Jonah Lomu to shame...although that is not particularly difficult.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement