Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The all new and only slightly recycled off topic thread (read post 1)

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

WTF is Jonah Lomu wearing?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭andrewdcs

Not in a cupboard, though.

having been in nobu (!) it is INCONCIEVABLE that that happened.....

it's a very public place.

(i'll get my coat)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

Anyone use the Ben Dunne Gym in Jervais St, Dublin? Thinking about joining it, used it once the other day and it wasn't too busy, although that was a weekday at 11am. Lot of jucieheads and beach boys in there!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

So I had my first run in with the tram tracks in Geneva on my bike.

Round one to them.

Anyone use the Ben Dunne Gym in Jervais St, Dublin? Thinking about joining it, used it once the other day and it wasn't too busy, although that was a weekday at 11am. Lot of jucieheads and beach boys in there!

I imagine that'd be par for the course in a Ben Dunne gym, he's never off the bloody radio advertising his low cost gyms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Used to be a member there. Was good when I first started, but then it got too busy.

I end up doing most of my training at home now anyway. Interval training and body weight training can be done as cheap and chips with some imagination, I'm seeing far better results in the past 6 months than I ever did in a gym.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Saw the National the other night in the Marquee. They were amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Saw the National the other night in the Marquee. They were amazing.

Just picked up their new album at the weekend. Sounds good on the first listen. Must check and see if they are playing anywhere near me soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

With BD gyms, you have to avoid peak hours. I'm guessing you'd intend on using it at lunch or straight after work. If so, forget about it for that one. If you were using it late evening, after 7.30pm then you'd be fine. City centre gyms generally very busy at those times.

I'm in BD out in Northwood. Have to say it's great. Weights can be a little bit of an issue but if you're willing to wait 5 minutes, you'll get all the plates you need. Never any problem getting cardio equipment or a bench. Throw in jacuzzi, sauna, pool etc. and it's a fantastic deal. €250 for the year. In Westwood (the best gym I've been in) you'd pay that in 3 months.

Buer wrote: »
    With BD gyms, you have to avoid peak hours. I'm guessing you'd intend on using it at lunch or straight after work. If so, forget about it for that one. If you were using it late evening, after 7.30pm then you'd be fine. City centre gyms generally very busy at those times.

I'm in BD out in Northwood. Have to say it's great. Weights can be a little bit of an issue but if you're willing to wait 5 minutes, you'll get all the plates you need. Never any problem getting cardio equipment or a bench. Throw in jacuzzi, sauna, pool etc. and it's a fantastic deal. €250 for the year. In Westwood (the best gym I've been in) you'd pay that in 3 months.

Worth noting there is no pool/jacuzzi in the BD in town.

• Advertisement

Just joined there, will be able to use it during the day so I figured why not!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

My company just started paying for our gym memberships. The actual memberships don't start until July 8th and my own expired in June so I'm currently gymless. First world problems.

I've caught myself singing that "don't wake me up up up up up up" chris brown song about 5 times this morning already. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Podge_irl wrote: »
    So I had my first run in with the tram tracks in Geneva on my bike.

Round one to them.

Would you not get a Porsche? Would be more practical, and would help you look like a local...

Just finished preseason session 1. Absolute nightmare. Coaches are bastards.

Here's an interesting fact, since I left underage rugby, this will be the first season I'll be playing with no kiwi in the team. In fact I'm the only NEQ there. I feel very exotic.

Here's an interesting fact, since I left underage rugby, this will be the first season I'll be playing with no kiwi in the team. In fact I'm the only NEQ there. I feel very exotic.

You probably have little chance of being called up for Ireland though, given the history of Irish in England being ignored ;)

I played rugby in Mayo for 6 months and felt like bit exotic, until they brought in some 19yo Kiwi who has since gone on to play for Connacht A. No prizes for guessing who the weak link in that centre partnership was!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Bet that's a relief!

Out of interest, which position do you play? Lock perchance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Preseason is starting? Jesus where does the time go. Might need to start looking fot a team :pac:

You probably have little chance of being called up for Ireland though, given the history of Irish in England being ignored ;)

I played rugby in Mayo for 6 months and felt like bit exotic, until they brought in some 19yo Kiwi who has since gone on to play for Connacht A. No prizes for guessing who the weak link in that centre partnership was!

Yeah the bastards will probably overlook me again. I'll give Lancaster a call and tell him I'd consider a call up, but 6 Nations only. None of this autumn international ****e.
    Bet that's a relief!

Out of interest, which position do you play? Lock perchance?

I play back row, I played lock at underage level but I'm barely 6 foot so it was never going to last.

Actually one thing I notice here in England is all the lads are very stereotypically English (from a rugby perspective). Home you'd turn up in preseason and maybe 80% of the lads would have been doing cardio work to prepare and 40% doing gym stuff. Here everyone is bulked up and noone has done any cardio. So the coaches (our new S&C guy is a rugby league fella who I believe is a 2nd cousin of satan) just run them into the dirt for the first few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Throw on Del Potro Djokovic if you're doing nothing lads. Cracking match.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Teferi wrote: »
    Throw on Del Potro Djokovic if you're doing nothing lads. Cracking match.

I rarely watch tennis but this has me gripped. CMON DELPO!

Just turned it on - cheers lads. ND making a few unforced errors here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

I scored a rake of tries in tag rugby last night. They didn't know what hit em

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭andrewdcs

awec wrote: »
    I've caught myself singing that "don't wake me up up up up up up" chris brown song about 5 times this morning already. :o

New one from Avicci is better, very similar... but opposite! (Aloe Blacc singing)

Hrmm, if this hangover wears off I might go catch the wimbledon final in the bernard shaw. They're showing it outside with strawberries and cream and pimms!

And the Ashes cricket is back on. I hardly ever watch Test Match cricket these days, but I'll make sure to catch :) some Ashes highlights on a daily basis

Ashes is always good bant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Not the biggest fan of test cricket to be honest but there is something to be said for the ashes, as per usual Sky are doing their best to ruin it with their hype though

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 392 ✭✭JagerScout

hate cricket, couldnt have picked a better week to take off from work too. burnt to pieces.

forgot how much i love swimming in the sea

• Advertisement

Ashes is great fun. Went to the Boxing Day test in Melbourne when Aussies were skittled out in about 6 hours. One of the best days of sport I've ever attended for both entertainment and atmosphere.

I am extremely ambivalent towards cricket but had a similar experience at Edgbaston 2005.

Cricket is always a good time. Went to a Middlesex game recently. Great days out.

I watched that documentary Undefeated last night (the Oscar winner). Brilliant film.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/undefeated_2012/?nopopup=true

I watched that documentary Undefeated last night (the Oscar winner). Brilliant film.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/undefeated_2012/?nopopup=true

Highly recommend it, even if you don't like american football watch it. Heartbreaking

It's very enjoyable but I think it got a little bit overpraised on the emotional, all American story basis. Well worth a look though.

Ashes is great fun. Went to the Boxing Day test in Melbourne when Aussies were skittled out in about 6 hours. One of the best days of sport I've ever attended for both entertainment and atmosphere.

What people don't realise is that you don't have to actually enjoy watching cricket to enjoy going to the cricket. In no particular order you can

Drink beer
    Talk to your mates
    Sunbathe
    Check out the hot chicks
    Read the newspaper

There's something for everyone. It's just unfortunate that in this country cricket has wider connotations than the game itself.

• Advertisement

Pretty much but that is changing. The chairman of Leinster CC was on Newstalk this morning discussing the growth of the game in this country. The playing numbers are up hugely over the last 10 years. A lot of parents are turning to it as an organised summer sport for their kids which keeps them occupied for several hours at a time. Youth playing numbers are through the roof.

Interestingly, he stated that 100 years ago, the shoe was on the other foot. The GAA struggled to make an impact in areas because cricket was so ingrained. For example, Kilkenny had a huge number of cricket clubs then and hurling couldn't get a look in.

The biggest stumbling block to the sport is the weather unfortunately. In a country where it rains a huge number of days, it's hard to play a sport that doesn't work in the wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Pretty much but that is changing. The chairman of Leinster CC was on Newstalk this morning discussing the growth of the game in this country. The playing numbers are up hugely over the last 10 years. A lot of parents are turning to it as an organised summer sport for their kids which keeps them occupied for several hours at a time. Youth playing numbers are through the roof.

Interestingly, he stated that 100 years ago, the shoe was on the other foot. The GAA struggled to make an impact in areas because cricket was so ingrained. For example, Kilkenny had a huge number of cricket clubs then and hurling couldn't get a look in.

The biggest stumbling block to the sport is the weather unfortunately. In a country where it rains a huge number of days, it's hard to play a sport that doesn't work in the wet.

Absolutely, I was involved with clubs in Dublin and in 2007 the numbers exploded particularly with kids after the Irelands heroics in the World Cup, and apparently the same happened in 2011. The Irish lads performing on the big stage has been huge for growth in this country. Tennis has been in the doldrums for years and the lack of Irish success is a big factor. If we had an Irish Andy Murray tennis would explode in popularity for sure, in the short term at least.

Ireland has a surprisingly good cricket team too, a few are county captains in England and a few others have 'graduated' to the England team such has been their success, and most of the rest are big players for English counties, which is a credit to the system. Definitely a sport on the rise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

If only Ireland had a test team. Might not lose our best players then.

matthew8 wrote: »
    If only Ireland had a test team. Might not lose our best players then.

Latest comment was they're aiming for full test status for 2020. Seems to be an extremely closed shop. I can't see an Irish test team performing significantly worse than Zimbabwe or Bangladesh though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

I couldn't stand cricket until I worked at the Ashes in Lord's a few years back. I thought it the game was a complete snorefest, just as bad as baseball. I discovered the whole thing is about a build up of tension over a long drink filled afternoon so that when the smallest thing happens its an enormous release of said tension. It really is a day out as opposed to a pure spectator sport. Rugby is far more of about the game itself. I worked as a waiter with screens all around the place which were a few seconds behind the action on the pitch; so when anything happened, there was a big roar and I could turn to a screen and catch it. I didn't miss a thing! It was a great week which turned me around to cricket in a big way. Too bad the hours were very long and pay was horrendous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,880 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Watched Oz v India in sydney 1999.

What a days crack....shane warne and brett lee and if memory serves me correctly the waugh brothers. Brilliant day. Rake of pints and general banter within the vicinity of the other spectators. Can't get people to believe how good it is.

Anyone heading to Longitude? Going on the Sunday myself

sunday too

Looking forward to Flume and SBTRK

Wonder will there be shuttle buses going from the city?

kraftwerk 3d concert should be a highlight

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Chabals Beard

Anyone else heading to the Munster final Sunday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭OldRio

What people don't realise is that you don't have to actually enjoy watching cricket to enjoy going to the cricket. In no particular order you can

Drink beer
    Talk to your mates
    Sunbathe
    Check out the hot chicks
    Read the newspaper

There's something for everyone. It's just unfortunate that in this country cricket has wider connotations than the game itself.

I've had more fun watching paint dry.

OldRio wrote: »

Each to their own OldRio. No interest in beer, women, yarning with mates, sun, what's happening in the world - what do you do for fun aside from watching paint dry? Stamp collecting?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Conas

OldRio wrote: »

I'm shocked.

I can't believe you don't like booze and checking out hot babes. OldRio says it all, he must be in his 70s or 80s I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭OldRio

Conas wrote: »
    I'm shocked.

I can't believe you don't like booze and checking out hot babes. OldRio says it all, he must be in his 70s or 80s I'd say.

Cricket gentlemen, cricket.:D
    Not quite in the 70's you cheeky chappy. But saying that the 'hot babes' I 'check out' tend to be what you young bucks call MILF's I believe.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement