Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The all new and only slightly recycled off topic thread (read post 1)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

You'd swear going by the past few pages the only place to get a beer and have a gawk at some decent women was at the cricket!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Conas

P.Walnuts wrote: »
    You'd swear going by the past few pages the only place to get a beer and have a gawk at some decent women was at the cricket!

lol :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Or watching paint dry.

I've declined to watch paint dry...so Stonewell medium dry Irish craft cider on hand, and watching Eng chase 4 wickets, and Australia 100 odd runs to win the first Ashes test. Got to love summer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Anyone else heading to the Munster final Sunday?

I'll be there for sure, looking forward to this one. Hope we do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Anyone heading to Longitude? Going on the Sunday myself

Was thinking of going... Playing a gig on Saturday so might go sunday.

.ak wrote: »

Instrument...or vocals? Or DJ & produce house? :p

Bang on. Pygmalion provided all of the above all day yesterday without a cricket bat in sight!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

JagerScout wrote: »
    kraftwerk 3d concert should be a highlight

I was privileged to see them when they played at Electric Picnic in 2005. Electronic music pioneers and a day I won't forget.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

What instrument do you play? Sing and play guitar myself but haven't been in a band for a while

What instrument do you play? Sing and play guitar myself but haven't been in a band for a while

Oh, I'm not one of those 'talented' people! ;) I DJ and produce house.

Oh, I'm not one of those 'talented' people! ;) I DJ and produce house.

Cool

Would it be the more mainstream house stuff? Been listening to this banger for the last week or two, big tune, pretty sure it's house:

Also, going through a big jungle phase at the moment, like the priest in fr ted

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I'd say you're a big hit with your new housemates!

I play drums. If push ever came to shove, looks like the rugby forum could produce a band!

Buer wrote: »
    I'd say you're a big hit with your new housemates!

Haha, he's the one that got me into it. We live over a garage with no houses near us so we can blare jungle and drill holes in the walls all night long!:D

mqdefault.jpg

• Advertisement

I play drums. If push ever came to shove, looks like the rugby forum could produce a band!

We could be a horselips cover band that dresses in rugby gear, "the Heaslips"

gets coat.............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

Did my First triathlon today in Lanesboro. Ridiculously warm day to be racing(Part of Bike route(Mount Dillon in Co Roscommon)was the hottest place in Ireland yesterday(29.8 degrees), and it was warmer today

Anyone else competing in tri this year or looking to do a race??

Cool

Would it be the more mainstream house stuff? Been listening to this banger for the last week or two, big tune, pretty sure it's house:

Ha, Fr. Hacket? Best episode ever.

No I play all types of house, but pretty much no mainstream stuff. Altho I'd enjoy it, just not really my bag.

I have mixes up here...

http://www.mixcloud.com/adamkeni/

and tracks here...

https://soundcloud.com/adamkeni/

No I play all types of house, but pretty much no mainstream stuff. Altho I'd enjoy it, just not really my bag.

I have mixes up here...

and tracks here...

Cheers, will have a listen. Whereabouts do you play?

No wait, it wasn't Hackett. What was his name again? Ah yeah, Stack.

• Advertisement

Cheers, will have a listen. Whereabouts do you play?

Used to resident in the POD, but since it's closed I just play here and there... Playing Twisted Pepper on Saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

I DJ and produce house.

Ah, a man after my own heart. Don't know if you are a Derrick Carter fan but I listened to his boiler room set for the first time today. Off the chart.

Used to resident in the POD, but since it's closed I just play here and there... Playing Twisted Pepper on Saturday.

Could well be there next Saturday. Prefer the Workmans as it's a bit cheaper but the downstairs area of TP is right good. They often have jungle nights down there too I think!

Could well be there next Saturday. Prefer the Workmans as it's a bit cheaper but the downstairs area of TP is right good. They often have jungle nights down there too I think!

Yeah the MUD lads do all of that I think on Fridays. It's myself, Arveene's new acid live show, Frank B and Space Dimension Controller. Should be a good night.

Aidric wrote: »
    Ah, a man after my own heart. Don't know if you are a Derrick Carter fan but I listened to his boiler room set for the first time today. Off the chart.

Am indeed, will give it a bash!

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Chabals Beard

Limerick is going to be buzzing tomorrow, gonna be a savage day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

KK-Waterford goes to extra-time! :O

Jesus I hope Waterford win, Hurling needs KK to be beaten

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Kilkenny 5 up now.....Waterford need a score soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

I have zero interest in GAA... to the the degree that I barely know the rules. I am not a real Irish person

• Advertisement

I have mixes up here...

and tracks here...

Cleaning the house to one of your mixes, some real bangers in there

"Hallelujah Anyway (Larse vocal) by Candi Staton" is a serious find!

Cleaning the house to one of your mixes, some real bangers in there

"Hallelujah Anyway (Larse vocal) by Candi Staton" is a serious find!

That's a winner alright!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I have mixes up here...

and tracks here...

AK you've just went up another notch in my estimation. Great to hear some proper music. I was a lover of the house music and the harder house back in the day.

Just found dj Tim and dj misjah access on YouTube recently - brought back some great memories of nights gone by!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

:o
    Fireball07 wrote: »
    Kilkenny 5 up now.....Waterford need a score soon.

I've relatively recently moved to a GAA place for work so it's important that I know this. We have the potential for a good conversation on rugby at lunch but the guys still need a bit of tutoring!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭OldRio

OldRio wrote: »

The gas thing is their source was the national transportation board. They confirmed the info as well. Someone their dropped the ball there. They've since issued an apology.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Any YouTube channels with hurling highlights from the championship?

Aus 22 runs, Eng 1 wicket. England just dropped catch and it went for 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭OldRio

Still wet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

took the old bike out for a spin today...really love the runkeeper app for the phone...maps/avg speed/pace etc is pretty cool. Is this the best app for tracking runs/ride outs etc? Wondering if anyone has recomendations for similar or better android apps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Endomondo is decent i think.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,330 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I use Endomondo - its good and covers running/cycling/hiking etc. They're all much of a muchness though.

I see Tyson Gay has tested positive for banned substances. I'm not sure what's worse, Men's sprinting, or le Tour de Farce.

I see Tyson Gay has tested positive for banned substances. I'm not sure what's worse, Men's sprinting, or le Tour de Farce.

Asafa Powell too and another unnamed Jamaican Gold Medallist, supposedly its not Bolt but either way its a bit of a disaster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Asafa Powell too and another unnamed Jamaican Gold Medallist, supposedly its not Bolt but either way its a bit of a disaster

It's been a while since there was a steroid scandal in sprinting alright. What is it they're meant to have tested positive for?

• Advertisement

P_1 wrote: »
    It's been a while since there was a steroid scandal in sprinting alright. What is it they're meant to have tested positive for?

Don't think its come out yet, I'm only following through twitter but presume it would be on there when its released.

Even though its reported that Bolt isn't involved, he shares the same doctor as Tyson Gay apparently...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

Nesta Carter is the other gold medalist. There were 3 others as well.
    P_1 wrote: »

Gay's hasn't been revealed, Powell was positive for oxilofrine, apparently a banned stimulant.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Don't think its come out yet, I'm only following through twitter but presume it would be on there when its released.

Even though its reported that Bolt isn't involved, he shares the same doctor as Tyson Gay apparently...

I've completely lost faith in top level athletics, particularly the sprinting. It's reached the point where I struggle to believe anyone in a 100m Olympic final could be drug free.

A Mexican chemist who provided drugs to top athletes did a candid and in depth interview with a German magazine a few years ago. He revealed just how prevalent drug taking was. He had money transfers that could be traced back to top athletes for supplying them with tailor made drug cocktails which were one step ahead of testing. He had worked with several disgraced sprinters and was adamant that all top sprinters were involved in drugs.

When asked about sprinting, he said that it was perhaps possible for these guys to go under 10 seconds maybe once or twice in a year if drug free but there's no way they were doing it every race without drugs. If you look back at someone like Bolt's progression, it's remarkable and very hard to take at face value. For example, in 2007, he ran 19.91 in the World Championships to take silver. A year later he smashed Michael Johnson's 200m long standing world record. In the 100m, he had not broken the 10 second barrier at the age of 21. At the age of 22 he broke the world record with 9.69 seconds at the Olympics.

James Dasolau of GB is in the papers at the moment for running a scorching 100m this weekend. He ran 9.91 which is his PB and faster than Bolt has gone this year. The bloke is almost 26. He scraped out of the heat in last year's Olympics before finishing second last in the next round and being eliminated in 10.18 seconds.

Perhaps these guys are clean but I would be stunned if they genuinely were.

Buer wrote: »
    I've completely lost faith in top level athletics, particularly the sprinting. It's reached the point where I struggle to believe anyone in a 100m Olympic final could be drug free.

A Mexican chemist who provided drugs to top athletes did a candid and in depth interview with a German magazine a few years ago. He revealed just how prevalent drug taking was. He had money transfers that could be traced back to top athletes for supplying them with tailor made drug cocktails which were one step ahead of testing. He had worked with several disgraced sprinters and was adamant that all top sprinters were involved in drugs.

When asked about sprinting, he said that it was perhaps possible for these guys to go under 10 seconds maybe once or twice in a year if drug free but there's no way they were doing it every race without drugs. If you look back at someone like Bolt's progression, it's remarkable and very hard to take at face value. For example, in 2007, he ran 19.91 in the World Championships to take silver. A year later he smashed Michael Johnson's 200m long standing world record. In the 100m, he had not broken the 10 second barrier at the age of 21. At the age of 22 he broke the world record with 9.69 seconds at the Olympics.

James Dasolau of GB is in the papers at the moment for running a scorching 100m this weekend. He ran 9.91 which is his PB and faster than Bolt has gone this year. The bloke is almost 26. He scraped out of the heat in last year's Olympics before finishing second last in the next round and being eliminated in 10.18 seconds.

Perhaps these guys are clean but I would be stunned if they genuinely were.

The thing is where do you draw the line when it comes to what stimulants (or indeed what levels of them) should be banned. I mean just look at how even such mild things as Lucazade or Berocca are advertised

Also watching Top Gear, the ghost airport in Spain is just a tad on the WTF side

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement